Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I imagine a hidden hinge at the back.

Crusader gallery is up:
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Beskad-class Starfighter gallery

Apparently beskad is a curved Mandalorian sword - I thought it appropriate.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

This should make some people here happy...:p

Slightly impure commissioned ship based on the original. Call it a refit :)

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Finally :-)

very much looking forward to this one

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Dreadnought, I assume? Nice :D
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Elheru Aran wrote:Dreadnought, I assume? Nice :D
DreadnAught - this thing doesn't deserve to even share a marketing name with real Star Dreadnoughts :P
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Looking good.

Incidentally, I would love to see you do a model of the original Battlestar Galactica, if you wanted to do something different.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Oh my.. Oh my HEAVENS COuld it be?
Fractal is at least doing a (old republic) DREANAUGHT!!!!
(Squeees and make fan girl sounds)
SOOOO EXCITED!!!!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Those turret mounts seem out of place given the context. What possible reason would you have to mount them on a jutting sponsor like that where 50% of its potential arc is in cutouts vice mounting ig flush to the hull for a near hemispherical arc (significantly more if its right on that ridge)?

I am assuming this is the artists choice, I have never seen a cannon image of a Dreadnought that showed those weapons emplacements.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Patroklos wrote:I am assuming this is the artists choice, I have never seen a cannon image of a Dreadnought that showed those weapons emplacements.
You must never have seen an image of a Dreadnaught then - they've all got those TL blisters, albeit not in nearly as much detail as fractal's version.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I think he means the smaller quad mounts on the sides of the bow section.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Yes, as EF says.

Those blisters as drawn have the same issue though. There is really no reason to have the turrets half burred into the ends like that rather than sticking out of the top for better arcs. I realize cannon ships that actually have their weapons emplacements shown have "odd" arcs sometimes as in the ISDI, but if you are making up details from whole cloth there is no need to repeat such errors.

In the case of blisters on various hulls I always assumed they were to lift emplacements off the hull to give them less cutouts, not to create more cutouts.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Out of universe:
1) The references have blisters, so there must be blisters
2) The Dreadnaught doesn't make a huge amount of sense, but unless I'm turning it into a dagger I've got to work with what's out there
3) All the details are my invention, because there does not exist an official version that shows anything close to this level of detail

The small guns I was going to duplicate on the ventral side of the sponson - then you'd have simultaneous dorsal/ventral coverage. You could get the same coverage with one turret but then you'd be less able to deal with swarming attacks.

The blisters - I dunno, they kinda suck. They sucked on the Mon Cal as well, and I don't have a great explanation for it other than "it's there, let's make it work". Hand-waving it, I'd guess it's about compartmentalization - put local fire control, capacitors, local shield node all away from the interior of the hull behind an armored bulkhead minimally pierced for life support, power trunking, personnel access. Local overload blows outward, and you get simplification of interior layout that way. Stylistically, turrets don't go on top of a blister, because that looks ugly, limits you to one turret per blister, and the blisters are really too big to be single turret. Also at that point, why not have a damn barbette and easier-to-build smaller gun battery structure to begin with?

The blister gun arcs kinda blow compared to a turret on the hull surface. Yeah I know. The whole blister if it exists should be a goddamn turret, but they're too big for that on the Dreadnaught, and geometrically impossible for it on a Mon Cal. More hand waving - blister armament is "better" for melee (at least more suited) - there's no consideration for an alpha arc because the ships aren't really designed to move like that. For a ship that's built to protect things like planets, that almost makes sense. Ships expecting to deal with targets all around, with limited maneuverability. Dreadnaughts supposedly move sorta like they're already shot to begin with, so there's that...

That's all I got.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Well done Fractal, not a huge fan of the Dreadnaught but that thing looks really good.

I think an idea of the blisters would be a design philosophy issue, one of decentralization instead of an all encompassing integrated philosophy. Each blister would represent all the sub systems, targeting, power (well power trunk), etc of that particular battery almost making them a module design. Taking out one of the blisters doesn't affect the others giving viability to the ship instead of a hard hitting blow to once battery affecting power and targeting to another.

Just an idea though.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Had to move the blisters around. Still not optimal, but better than the original, which must've been broadside-only batteries for some of the blisters.

CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

A ventral or dorsal missile battery might look pretty good also, its mentioned that the Imperial ones often had them added on.

Are you putting a hangar on yours? if you do I will be interested to see how you do it.

P.S:looks pretty good for a wanked brick ;)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

By the by... I am not sure what it is about this version... But it looks... Shorter I guess, Smaller than the original..
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Crossroads Inc. wrote:By the by... I am not sure what it is about this version... But it looks... Shorter I guess, Smaller than the original..
I think that's because the weapon blisters are bigger than the original ones, so the ship looks smaller as a result.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:By the by... I am not sure what it is about this version... But it looks... Shorter I guess, Smaller than the original..
I think that's because the weapon blisters are bigger than the original ones, so the ship looks smaller as a result.
I'm with you.

Linking because this is ungodly big (OK, Fractal has some big images, but we don't need to take up more space on the thread than necessary):

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 1001131548

In particular it feels like there's less space underneath the blisters, especially as one of the blisters on Fractal's version almost spans the bottom from the equator (for lack of a better term; lateral center-line?) to the bottom of the hull while on the original EGTVV schematic there are no blisters on the lower half.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Yeah, I agree. I think the blister ratio is why you're thinking the ship looks "smaller" - I built the blisters first based on the guns they had to mount to seem a reasonable use of the ship. I was surprised too when I put it on the hull and realized that the old design couldn't actually take the armament, hence why the blisters are re-arranged. By the old arrangement the new blisters would've had severely limited arcs - actually I'm not sure the old blister arrangement had much better arcs even at the old size, tbh.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

A rework of my previous idea. I went with a more Mi-28 look. So LAAT/i:Mi-25::This craft:Mi-28

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ooooo I LIKE it!
looks very stylish, and very deadly!

Is it sad in my mind I see it flying around with me wanting to go PEW PEW PEW!!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Kal_Skirata
Redshirt

Post by Kal_Skirata »

Beautiful. That thing looks murderous. And you certainly got the Havoc look down. It looks like the internal troop space is a bit bigger the the LAAT. What's the troop capacity?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I think it'll be a bit bigger, so possibly surge platoon strength. But 20-30 is safe.