Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Re: Something big

Post by Abacus »

I don't blame you...

*drools all over the new images*

...n-not at all.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

By the way, did we ever settle on what the ship-mounted weaponry for the Impellor-class Fleet Carrier was? I'm looking and by my count we're up to 46 x octuple barbette turbolaser cannon, 40 dual-mounted laser cannon (the small anti-fighter/corvette type of turrets)...and then whatever miscellaneous weaponry that you imagine it'd have. Likely some torpedo or missile tubes.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I think that's right for the main battery count. It would work out to be about 6x ISD firepower, which is about right for the mass and volume. Power generation is likely to be worse, so the ship would be more limited in firing everything than, say, an Allegiance. But this is enforced by the gun layout anyway (no arc for all the heavy guns). Consistent with more self-defense than offensive ship-to-ship action for the platform.

The smaller turrets are quad MTL, and I've lost count of those. Anything smaller I don't count at all, because they're invisible at the capital scale. There are no large missile tubes - certainly could be smaller ones, but again, invisible.
23 November 1939
Youngling

Post by 23 November 1939 »

For what little it's worth, I counted 50 octuple 30/40 barbettes HTLs (there are 4 on the centerline aft) and 86 or 88 quad MTLs. I did a double-take the first time I counted the MTLs, they do sneak up on you (just for comparison I counted 61 on the Allegiance). :shock: Most are clustered around the super-structure, but I am unsure about the existence of a couple that may be just aft of the "horns". (No, I didn't just count them; I just happened to do it a week or two ago, and kept track of it :oops: ). Feels appropriate for a vessel designated a fleet-carrier, ala the Essex or Implacable. Still love to see what a cruiser-consort would end up with. :wink:
"They come on well; they learned that from me." -- Simon de Montfort
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Hm, well that's vaguely embarrassing - I count 50 now :p
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Haha, I get what you mean -- they do tend to pop up at strange moments, don't they? Those MTLs.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Looking good. I like the refits for the extra armor on the arse there.
23 November 1939
Youngling

Didn't want to be the first to comment on these, since my first thought was to channel my inner Oddball:

"An AT-AT has only one weak point and that's its ass. You've got to hit it point blank and you've got to hit it from behind."

Maybe I just don't respect the Imperial Dinobots enough?
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I always thought the "neck" would be the best place to cripple one. It doesn't look much more armoured then a comparable real world object. IE, on a train.

AT-AT are supposed to carry speeder, I'm curious where you imagine them being launched from?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Hitting the neck is the trick...

Regarding speeder bikes, the ICS has this:

That suggests they're normally kept tucked away in the arse, and then deployed through the big side hatches.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Geforce
Redshirt

Post by Geforce »

ok guys, i think ist time for the queen of all imperial ships:

THE ECLIPSE :angelic: :luv:
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Once you are finished with the AT-AT would you consider doing a space-station? One of your own design or perhaps something like Jovan-station http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jovan_Station ?
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I still hold out Hope Against Hope that some day he may do an Old Republic Dreadnaught.
Or a marauder corvette, those things were Awesome!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

FTeik wrote:Once you are finished with the AT-AT would you consider doing a space-station? One of your own design or perhaps something like Jovan-station http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jovan_Station ?
He already did the bigger and better Validusia Station. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Naval_Station_Validusia
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Abacus wrote:
FTeik wrote:Once you are finished with the AT-AT would you consider doing a space-station? One of your own design or perhaps something like Jovan-station http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jovan_Station ?
He already did the bigger and better Validusia Station. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Naval_Station_Validusia
One space-station among how many awesome ships again? And it is also only part of the background of a single picture (which means we see it only from one angle).

More seriously, while Validusia is great it doesn't appear very SW-ish to me. In my mind SW and especially Imperial space-stations are rather compact designs like the DeathStars, Golan Defense-Stations or the Derilyn-platform. Something that when you look at it, you know it can take a beating.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The stuff that won't ever be seen:
23 November 1939
Youngling

fractalsponge1 wrote:The stuff that won't ever be seen:
[snip]
Unless you have a lightsaber, thermal detonator, and hoist cable. 8) I must confess, the fiddly bits on the AT-AT have always been especially fascinating.
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

*snip*
But we are seeing it now aren't we? :wink:

On a totally different note does anyone know what the output of the tactical superlaser on Wrath is?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

fusion wrote:
*snip*

On a totally different note does anyone know what the output of the tactical superlaser on Wrath is?
We don't really know what smaller superlasers can do. Definitely will be much less powerful than the comparable Eclipse weapon (assuming that the giant beard on the Eclipse is dedicated to superlaser function). Probably higher rate of fire. I envisioned a spinal weapon as a way to force local overloads in shields of large targets like Dreadnoughts and stations. Plus the capacitor and cooling system for a spinal weapon serves to increase overall durability and flexibility of the conventional systems as well.
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

fractalsponge1 wrote:
fusion wrote:
*snip*

We don't really know what smaller superlasers can do. Definitely will be much less powerful than the comparable Eclipse weapon (assuming that the giant beard on the Eclipse is dedicated to superlaser function). Probably higher rate of fire. I envisioned a spinal weapon as a way to force local overloads in shields of large targets like Dreadnoughts and stations. Plus the capacitor and cooling system for a spinal weapon serves to increase overall durability and flexibility of the conventional systems as well.
Hmm, ok. Looking back through the thread, it has been established in this thread that imperial capital ships can endure upwards of 10 minutes of bombardment of the same class before total shield failure. Local shield failure, on the other hand, is probably a magnitude lower. So it should only take a minute of concentrated barrage of the same class to burn through locally. Thus, Wrath's Superlaser should be equivalent to about a minute of peak reactor output or about 2E29J (500 petatons). Does that sound reasonable?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

500 petatons in a single beam seems reasonable. But I think you might have missed some decimal points somewhere. A minute of full power from an Assertor is something like 50-60 exatons as currently scaled.
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Bah I had trouble converting scientific notation to si units. So you are envisioning it being an alpha strike concentrated into a beam?

And since an alpha strike will be about 1 exaton, I think it might make more sense for it to be 1 exaton beam then.

Also will you be updating the turret explanation post you did back in 2010? The picture you referred to in the post is gone. :(