Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fusion
Jedi Knight

Re: Something big

Post by fusion »

Oooh! He is back and the saga continues. :D

Anyways since Fractalsponge was talking about crew complement, I thought it would be fun to see how many people this ship could carry if only one percentage of the ship was dedicated to crew space.

So the volume of the ship is about 12 * 2/2 * 6/2 + 3 * 2 * 0.5 = 39 km^3 * 1000^3 = 3.9 * 10^10 m^3
And if only 1% of the volume is for crew then 3.9 * 10^8 m^3 of space is utilized.
If the height of each floor in the crew compartments are 5m high then there will be 7.8 * 10^7 m^2 of area available to the crew.
If each crew member had 50m^2 space available (which is a considerable amount of space) then there would still be space for 1.5 million crew members. SPACE FOR ALL!!!! :D
Ketan
Redshirt

Post by Ketan »

it looks like an very new tie fighter for the dreadnaughts hangars :D

have you thought about the idea with the images for book?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

If the book is being prepared now and announced, chances are they've already got the illustrators lined up. Not that I wouldn't jump at the chance to help with it, of course :P

The wing is, in fact, going to be from a Defender. It's not exactly going to be the standard triple tie/ln strut thing you typically see, but going to be a little more embellished, just cause I can :). I might even go partly into the extended-pylon game version, we'll see. The wing, however, is largely similar to an interceptor's, regardless, so I started with that.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

You know, TIE Defenders were always big disappointments to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the principle of them. Shielded, more durable, with Hyperdrives. The problem is the ship itself is the size of a normal Tie with just three wings instead of two. There is no physical space for all the extra gear they say they want to put in. In terms of scale, the "TIE Avenger" always looked far more believable.

That said...

Glad you are back Fractal! we here at Sednet really are lucky to have you!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^That's my main problem with the essential guide/rebellion/trading card version of the defender. In the X-wing and TIE Fighter games, the wings are actually more like the tie x1's polygonal pylons, and much longer, no longer simple tubular struts like the TIE/ln and /I. The added volume in the pylon version could easily double the volume of the existing TIE ball, which is mostly hollow anyway, and more than double the usable internal volume for equipment and powerplant, since the ball is mostly hollow.

It's going to be tricky coming up with something that will work, but that's why I'm paid the big bucks, right? er...wait...:P
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote:^That's my main problem with the essential guide/rebellion/trading card version of the defender. In the X-wing and TIE Fighter games, the wings are actually more like the tie x1's polygonal pylons, and much longer, no longer simple tubular struts like the TIE/ln and /I. The added volume in the pylon version could easily double the volume of the existing TIE ball, which is mostly hollow anyway, and more than double the usable internal volume for equipment and powerplant, since the ball is mostly hollow.

It's going to be tricky coming up with something that will work, but that's why I'm paid the big bucks, right? er...wait...:P
I've always preferred the sleek look of this TIE variant. Maybe it can give you some ideas about the Defender wings, etc.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Took some trying, but I finally got something that just works, imho. A largely polygonal wing pylon system that adds volume, but still looks like it belongs on a TIE:

New radiator material also.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Great work.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ketan
Redshirt

Post by Ketan »

great! i love the defender!

the best tie ever! :luv:

but the tie hunter is also a very nice tie version

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http ... s%3Disch:1
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

More pics of the Defender please !

several at once, in front of a starfield, hunting X-Wings, perhaps... or a squadron heading towards your carrier... :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Raesene wrote:a squadron heading towards your carrier... :-)
My plan is to have a pic of a few hundred boiling out of the carrier bay...eventually. Might be a while before I have the patience to set that up :P.

By the way, the cheek "intakes" are shrouds for warhead launchers (another something the Essential Guide tri-ceptor the doesn't show), and very much like the best of the Avenger interpretations. I'd imagine launcher upgrades for standard TIEs will all generally install and look like this, even on TIE/ln and /I, and are just not shown in the games.

Some more notes:
I am currently scaling at 10.5m in length, from lasertip to wingtip.

There is a decent spread of estimates, with the wookiepedia entry for the TIE Defender possibly on the high end. SWTC's estimates lengths at: TIE/ln at 6m, interceptor/x1/bomber at ~6.2-6.3m, and defender at 6.97. Though that defender length is probably based on the tri-ceptor essential guide variant, as opposed to the game version, which is much longer (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/cg/tie/tied4.gif).

From the Incredible Cross Sections, it doesn't appear that the standard cockpit ball is very much over 2m in height, judging from the 2m Lord Vader. Mine is 2.25m in diameter. Eventually I will have to standardize all my TIEs to that.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Hamina-hamina-hamina-DO WANT. Oh baby, those other boys treating you rough? Don't worry, V's here to treat you right.

Cause I'm a Pilot! And I never make mistakes.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Well I eagerly await for you next whole fleet render. :)
Ronsu
Redshirt

Post by Ronsu »

As much as I enjoy the monolithic, cyclopean murderwedges you´ve designed I´m a bit sad that this little fella hasn´t had any attention aside from the basic shape:
fractalsponge1 wrote: Image
Aww, just look at him, the littlest ISD! So cute. :)
It's either real or it's a dream / there's nothing that is in between
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Hundreds of TIE Defenders coming out of the hangars sounds like a severe case of 'where is my hyperdrive activator...' ;-)

By the way, is the corvette from page 34 still on your to-do list ? The one with the modular hangar for 12 TIEs ?

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Offering your services for the Essential Guide to Warfare (or a similar technical work) would be an awesome way to make some of your hard work canon - especially in terms of ships that get no love in the EU, like the XG-1 StarWing / Assault Gunboat, fractal.

People have been stealing your work for how long now? Might as well get paid for it. :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The corvette and the frigate are both on the to-do list. Just not entirely sure when they'll get finished :P. I've been having issues staying on track with projects lately. I imagine the defender will be finished next, followed by the carrier, and then small ships.

Oh, I did email Jason Fry about the Essential Guide. He seemed to like my stuff and passed the question onto the editor, who has final say. Fingers crossed :).

To show off some touch-up and modification of some old friends, I've put together a quick Classic Boring Fleet Pic(TM):

New materials, lighting, engine flares, panel details, modified secondary battery details (Assertor-style) for the Bellator:

Will post some new shots of the Allegiance later.

Material/lighting-updated and cleaned-up Assertor:
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

How is progress on that Hover tank and the Urbanus Light/Medium Cruiser I liked that small cyclopean murderwedges as acts closer to a true imperial cruiser beside the monstrous bellator.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner
Location: Knowing where you are is no fun! Back to adventure!

Post by takemeout_totheblack »

Great pics fractal!! Really, I can't express how awesome your work is (I'm no poet, sue me)

What would a full broadside from that beast look like? Something close to green hell I imagine!
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.
Any ideas for units of measure?

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
~George Foreman, February 27th 3000 C.E.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

wow... just wow... new wallpaper in 3...2...1...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll finally get paid for some of the SW-stuff you do; even if that measn we'll miss some of your works here.

(Crossroads might get happy, though: the editor could order a dreadnaught heavy cruiser ;-))

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Great level of detail as always! Good luck on your application, too! :D
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Here's hoping for the Assertor, Bellator, Carrier etc to become canon
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

starfury wrote:How is progress on that Hover tank and the Urbanus Light/Medium Cruiser I liked that small cyclopean murderwedges as acts closer to a true imperial cruiser beside the monstrous bellator.
The smallest of those murderwedges are Allegiances - 1 Assertor, 4x Bellator, 8x Allegiance = ~580 ISD equivalents in the formation by power generation.

Tank is also on the to-do list, maybe with an articulated side-skirt/repulsor-vane setup vs the current fixed setup - but maybe not, we'll have to see.

Urbanus might get finished as is, much later, or I'll use a similar hull and engine layout for a combined comscan/grav-well ship.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Touched up version of the Allegiance (I am really pleased with the new flares, if I may be allowed a quiet moment of self-congratulation):

takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner
Location: Knowing where you are is no fun! Back to adventure!

Post by takemeout_totheblack »

What are the Allegiance's credentials? What purpose would it theoretically serve alongside ships like the Bellator or the Assertor?
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.
Any ideas for units of measure?

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
~George Foreman, February 27th 3000 C.E.