Publius drawings (large)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Publius
Jedi Council Member

Re: Publius drawings (large)

Post by Publius »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:It's a few pages back now but I'd like to comment on the Arthurian ensemble picture (with arthur, Lancelot, Merlin, Galahad and... one of the others), because that one really stuck with me; the subtlety of the expressions and what you can draw from them is excellent. Also, Galahad just looks fucking scary, a genuine zealot.
The Knights of the Round Table have been very interesting to draw, in that there is precious little about their appearances to illustrate personalities. Their armor quite naturally covers the vast majority of their bodies, and their surcoats and shields are already predetermined by their traditional blazons. Aside from the face itself, the only option is to alter the style of armor itself (hence Arthur's gilt plate, while Perceval's armor is near totally plain; whereas the others wear relatively current armors of a period knight bachelor, Galahad wears a rather older style modeled after the crusading orders like the Teutonic Knights or Knights Hospitaller).
Is that Autolykos dude the one from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys/Xena?
Indeed it is the self-styled King of Thieves, son of Hermes and matrilineal grandfather of Odysseus. He sailed under Jason as an Argonaut alongside such worthies as Heracles, Iolaus, Orpheus, Bellerophon, Bellerophon, Oedipus, Peleus (father of Achilles), Telamon (father of Ajax the Greater), Atalanta, Meleager, Castor and Polydeuces. He is also the fourth character portrayed by Bruce Campbell to have been illustrated, after Ashley J. Williams, Jack Stiles, and Brisco County, Jr. (only Harrison Ford has had as many characters illustrated, with Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, Han Solo, and Jim Marshall).
Man, She Ra is butch, I think she's got more developed arms and shoulders than the man next to her, not Robocop, the other man.
Her power source as "Princess of Power" is said to be directly comparable to the source that makes He-Man the "Most Powerful Man in the Universe." It seemed logical that her physical strength should therefore be analogous to his (he appears on page 6); the decidedly stage-Valkyrie appearance developed inadvertently between her armor and headdress.

Doc Samson, Namorita, Lucca, Tygra, and Arthur H. Fonzarelli
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

EEEEEAAYYYYYY! :D Dude, The Fonz. That is damned awesome man. Right on! :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Jacen Solo and Anakin Solo

Tenel Ka Chume Ta' Djo
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nice depictions of Tenel Ka and the Fonz. :)
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Nice detail on Lucca. Tomboyish and her clothes look really wrinkled, because she's not going to bother ironing her shirt when there are machines to work on, and she's not one to care about appearance anyway.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

The Human Torch. (Due to the sheer difficulty of drawing this character, the pose and features are patterned quite closely after the cover of Fantastic Four #452.)

One of the most difficult things to draw is fire in general, and the Human Torches represent a particular challenge in that they're totally engulfed in fire (the problem is considerably simpler to address for such characters as Firelord and Chamber, who need only be fire-like for the most part, while Ghost Rider's blazing skull is intentionally phantasmagorical). Furthermore, it is traditional that the original Human Torch, Jim Hammond, be drawn differently from his namesake Johnny Storm; one supposes the difference is that Hammond's fire is more or less ordinary combustion, while Storm's is more exotic in origin (like his teammates, Storm's powers can be easily understood via a rude gesture in the direction of physics).

Lucky Day

Jerry Siegel and Parker Lewis. (Lewis's shirt is blank in this version, but details will be added when it is colored.)

Anakin Solo (previously seen above) and Tahiri Veila
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Hawkeye

USAgent (formerly the fifth Captain America)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I'm usually impressed by your talent Pubilus, but I am especially impressed by your depiction of the Torch. :)
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I agree, the Torch came out nice. USAgent's head, and specifically the chin, seem a little weak.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

USAgent poses an unusual problem: His mask does precisely what it is supposed to do and conceals most of his face, making it quite difficult to make him clearly distinguishable from Captain America, who also wears a mask (of nearly identical cut, no less). Walker's jaw should be narrower and more pointed than Rogers's classical square jaw, and his nose is thinner and more aquiline. The result isn't quite what was intended, but at least the uniform is sufficiently distinct (the blocky quality of the torso is meant to be some kind of light armored vest as a substitute for Cap's half-shirt of scale armor).
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

If you want to try, give elongating his jaw slightly without widening it too much past where it is now a shot. That will keep him distinct from Rogers but provide the character with a more powerful face IMO.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Michelangelo, the Tenth Doctor, Doc Holliday, and Deathlok

(Note that this is the Tombstone character Doc Holliday, played by Val Kilmer, and not intended to be the actual historical person Dr. John H. Holliday.)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

:lol:

Michelangelo came out excellently.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hawkeye's bowstring doesn't look very taunt to me and the Tenth Doctor looks a little old but Mikey rocks.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

The Hon. Thomas J. Whitmore, President of the United States; Toxie; Slapstick; Booster Gold, Time Master (accompanied by Skeets); Machine Man, Agent of H.A.T.E.; and Sonic the Hedgehog

Iron Man -- the movie version -- and Jarod, the Pretender
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nice renditions of Booster and Skeets.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Booster Gold! Protecting the past to save your future! :D
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Doom, prior to taking office as President of the United States in AD 2099.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Lieut. Frank Columbo, LAPD, and Det. Axel Foley, DPD
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Perry Mason and Ben Matlock

Jack McCoy, District Attorney, and Detective John Spartan, SAPD

The Spirit and the Crimson Avenger
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Publius wrote:USAgent poses an unusual problem: His mask does precisely what it is supposed to do and conceals most of his face, making it quite difficult to make him clearly distinguishable from Captain America, who also wears a mask (of nearly identical cut, no less). Walker's jaw should be narrower and more pointed than Rogers's classical square jaw, and his nose is thinner and more aquiline. The result isn't quite what was intended, but at least the uniform is sufficiently distinct (the blocky quality of the torso is meant to be some kind of light armored vest as a substitute for Cap's half-shirt of scale armor).
I don't mean to interfere with the artist's license, but I recall an episode of "Avengers: West Coast" during USAgent's early time there. It described him as having a jaw "a trifle too square", and a neck "just a tad too thick" or something to that effect. In other words, he was supposed to be like Cap, but pushed a little bit too far.

Of course, if that's not how he's supposed to be in your vision, then that's entirely your affair.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I love how disgruntled Perry Mason looks. I think he's about to hit me. :) The Spirit's smirk is rather endearing.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Holy crap, I just noticed how close Jarod the Pretender looked like to his, y'know, real TV self. That's totally cool, Publiuses!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

The colored versions of the Spirit, Namorita, the Human Torch, Lucky Day, and the Crimson Avenger
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I loved that Three Amigos movie! :lol:

I like the darkfire effect on Torch, and really good job with Lucky's outfit man! You captured him perfectly!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!