Publius drawings (large)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Publius drawings (large)

Post by Thanas »

Given the upcoming anniversary, have you thought of doing a Bismarck? Would love to see your take on him.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

One of the biggest stumbling blocks on Prince Bismarck (along with a few others, such as Prince Metternich and Wilhelm II) is simply the question of what he should wear.

1. Annalee Call, SS Betty (Alien: Resurrection)
2. Ug (Critters)
3. John Fitzgerald Byers, Melvin Frohike, and Richard "Ringo" Langly, Proprietors, The Lone Gunmen Newsletter) The X-Files)
4. Space Ghost (Space Ghost)
5. Lee (Critters)
6. Douglas "Doogie" Howser, M.D., Resident Surgeon, Eastman Medical Center (Doogie Howser, M.D.)

7. Tommy Dreamer, Extreme Championship Wrestling World Heavyweight Wrestling Champion
8. The Fly / Fly-Man (Thomas "Tommy" Troy)
9. The Squire (Beryl Hutchinson)
10. The Sandman, Extreme Championship Wrestling World Heavyweight Wrestling Champion
11. Rosie the Robot Maid (The Jetsons)
12. Rob Van Dam, Extreme Championship Wrestling World Television Champion, Extreme Championship Wrestling World Teag Team Champion

13. Johnny Dangerously, Boss of the Dundee Gang (John Kelly) (Johnny Dangerously)
14. Volstagg the Voluminous
15. Sabu the Elephant Boy, Extreme Championship Wrestling World Heavyweight Wrestling Champion
16. First Lieutenant Aldo "The Apache" Raine, USA, Platoon Leader, "The Inglourious Basterds" (Inglourious Basterds)
17. Niles Crane, M.D., Ph.D., APA, Trustee-at-Large, American Psychiatric Association (Frasier)
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Publius wrote:One of the biggest stumbling blocks on Prince Bismarck (along with a few others, such as Prince Metternich and Wilhelm II) is simply the question of what he should wear.
True...I'd guess either the white parade uniform or his general uniform he often wore in official portraits....and his medals would be very hard to figure out as well I guess.

That said, I like your Niles Crane.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

J. Jonah Jameson, Chairman, The Daily Bugle Company, and Publisher, The Daily Bugle

Master Sergeant Abraham Jedediah "Raging Abe" Simpson, USA, Squad Leader, "The Flying Hellfish," The Hon. Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham "Krusty the Klown" Krustofski, U.S. Representative for the 24th District of the State of North Takoma, and Chief Executive Officer, KrustyCo., and Bartholomew JoJo "Bart" Simpson

Flamebird (Mary Elizabeth "Bette" Kane), Walter Sergei Skinner, Assistant Director, Criminal Investigative Division, Federal Bureau of Investigation, United States Department of Justice, and Dr Jonathan Clemens, M.B. B.S., Chief Medical Officer, Weyland-Yutani Work Correctional Facility Fiorina 161

Sergeant Supervisor Detective Squad John Munch, NYPD, Special Victims Squad, 16th Precinct, New York City Police Department, Emilia Graves Rothschild née Smythe, Proprietress Rothschild Import-Export Company Ltd of Pulau Pulau (Jack of All Trades), Master Jedi Obi-wan "Ben" Kenobi, late High General, Grand Army of the Republic, and Jessica Beatrice Fletcher née McGill

The Red Tornado (Maxine "Ma" Hunkel) and Maximilian Arturo, Ph.D., Regents Professor of Cosmology and Ontology, California University

Charles V, Roman Emperor, King of Castile and Aragon, Duke of Burgundy

Philip II, King of Castile, Aragon, and Portugal, Duke of Burgundy and Milan, late King of England

Captain General Don Juan de Austria, CabTO

Major General Nathanael Greene, Jr., and Major General Friedrich Wilhelm August Heinrich Ferdinand Freiherr von Steuben, OdT-R.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Okay, I don't get CabTO and OdT-R.

(also, I miss the full titles, but if they are too much work then no worries there).
------------
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

In this case, Charles's and Philip's full titles are prohibitively long. Don Juan's is actually quite brief: "Su Excelencia Capitán General el Excelentísimo Señor Don Juan de Austria."

"CabTO" is a Spanish abbreviation of Caballero de la Orden del Toisón de oro, Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece (the Austrian abbreviation is "GVO-R.," Ritter des Ordens vom goldenen Vlies). Strictly speaking, the title ought to be rendered in French, as the order was founded in the Burgundian court as the Ordre et amiable Compagnie de la Toison d'or and remained an honor in right of the Dukedom of Burgundy rather than the Spanish Monarchy (or, later, the Hereditary Kingdoms and Lands).

"OdT-R." is a German abbreviation of Ritter des Ordens der Treue, Knight of the Order of Fidelity, an honor of the margraves of Baden-Ansbach in whose court Steuben had served; his title of Freiherr was also granted by the margrave, apparently as an automatic perk associated with knighthood in the order.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ive never seen them abbreviated as such, considering post-denominal letters are usually not used to my knowledge in German. But they do make sense.

Oh and I love the long titles. My first testat I looked at was a document by Charles V promising money to some bankers. The title was almost longer than the terms of the agreement.
------------
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

As you've no doubt seen nearly all treaties from the seventeenth through nineteenth centuries will include lengthy lists of plenipotentiaries' honors, including various knighthoods (Prince Metternich and the Duke of Wellington being particularly extravagant examples), a practice that all but begs for British-style postnominal abbreviations. The Spanish abbreviations appear sporadically at best, and that chiefly in some genealogical literature rather than in official state documents. The German abbreviations appear to be chiefly a South German practice, prominently displayed in the various editions of the Austrian Militärschematismus (an extremely useful resource for fixing details of Austrian figures' careers at various points, as well as containing extensive information on the Habsburgs themselves).
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I only worked with Spanish and Imperial documents in the 16th century and only with Prussian ones after that. It is not my field of study, considering.
------------
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Jay Gatsby late Major, USA {James "Jimmy" Gatz} (The Great Gatsby)
Staff Sergeant "Sarge," Red Army, Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge, Blood Gulch Red Team (Red vs. Blue)
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

"Messrs. President"

A group picture of the forty-four Presidents of the United States (and both Vice Presidents of the United States to have served as Acting Presidents of the United States). The groupings are broadly based on various factors of personality, professional life, and political character: hence, small-government Republican Calvin Coolidge greets Bourbon Democrat Grover Cleveland, résumé candidates George Bush, John Quincy Adams, James Monroe, and William Howard Taft cluster together, as do generals James Garfield, Rutherford B. Hayes, Benjamin Harrison, Franklin Pierce, George Washington, William Henry Harrison, Ulysses S. Grant, Zachary Taylor, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Andrew Jackson.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Late of Dragoner-Regiment "Herzog Ludwig," of the army of the Herzog von Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel, on British service
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Feet on the horseman, but not on the horse. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I've been looking back on a few of the Imperial princes and it occurred to me that their swords are not as well done. For example, the length of most of what should be rapiers is too large and the blades are too wide, also the hilt does not really match in proportions. That being said, this is nitpicking and they are still good work.
------------
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Havok wrote:Feet on the horseman, but not on the horse. :D
One has a reputation to uphold, you know.
Thanas wrote:I've been looking back on a few of the Imperial princes and it occurred to me that their swords are not as well done. For example, the length of most of what should be rapiers is too large and the blades are too wide, also the hilt does not really match in proportions. That being said, this is nitpicking and they are still good work.
To be quite honest, swords seem to be difficult to draw well. They dangle at odd angles and it's hit or miss at getting the proportions and perspective down. That, and it can be surprisingly difficult to find good visual references for them (John Paul Jones's presentation sword from Louis XVI, for example, or George Dewey's sword of honor for Manila Bay).

HSH Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, around the time of his betrothal to Asa Vajda in Anno Dracula: Dracula Cha Cha Cha, presiding over his vampiric demimonde at his villa outside Rome as a semi-retired émigré. He appears here uncharacteristically déshabillé, wearing a lapel pin of the Order of the Dragon and no other insignia of rank, grade, or order -- he even seems to have misplaced his cufflinks. The Koh-i-Noor (which he wore as a ring in Anno Dracula) rests on his desk as a paperweight, near his leaking fountain pen.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Publius wrote:To be quite honest, swords seem to be difficult to draw well. They dangle at odd angles and it's hit or miss at getting the proportions and perspective down. That, and it can be surprisingly difficult to find good visual references for them (John Paul Jones's presentation sword from Louis XVI, for example, or George Dewey's sword of honor for Manila Bay).
If you want to, I can try and provide visual examples for historic persons up until the 1900, just tell me who you want to draw and I'll PM you the images if any exists.
------------
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Major-General Sir Richard "Dick" Hannay KCB OBE DSO, late Lennox Highlanders (The Thirty-Nine Steps & seq.)
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Wilhelm II. and Graf Dracula, as described in The Bloody Red Baron. The Kaiser wears M1910 field blouse dressed as Chef des 1. Garde-Regiments zu Fuß and the Interimsstab of a Generalfeldmarschall, suggesting his role of Oberster Kriegsherr. Dracula, both Reichskanzler and supreme commander of the Central Powers, wears M1910 field dress as a Generalfeldmarschall, wearing a custom-tailored cloak lined to suggest his (defunct) role of Colonel-in-Chief of the Prince Consort's Own Carpathian Guards. As the novel mentions that he came to Germany after expulsion from Great Britain and Russia, he wears beneath a cluster of German orders the Order of the Bath and the Order of Saint Andrew.
Hilan
Redshirt

Post by Hilan »

Just one word for this awesome art work.............. Awesome
The sketches you made here are really very great and also the story behind these are very good.
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

The customary Hallowe'en drawing.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Niiiiiice.
------------
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

First row: Mrs. Abigail "Granny" Puckett, Granny Puckett's Goodies (Hoodwinked), Phoenix (Rachel Anne Summers) (The Unxanny X-Men #141), Ant-Man (Scott Lang) (Avengers #181), Psi-Lord (Franklin Benjamin Richards) (Fantastic Four Annual #6), Lyja the Lazerfist (Fantastic Four #265), Denise "Jo" Mahoney, M.D., Sacred Heart Hospital (Scrubs),
The Saint (Simon Templar) (Meet the Tiger), Julius M. Hibbert, M.D., Springfield General Hospital (The Simpsons), Heathcliff "Cliff" Huxtable, M.D. (The Cosby Show), Second Lieutenant Paul "Joker" Wang, USMC, VMA-58 "Wildcards," 5th Marine Aircraft Wing, embarked on USS Saratoga (SCVN-2812) (Space: Above and Beyond), Special Agent Olivia Dunham, FBI, Fringe Division, U.S. Department of Homeland Security (Fringe), "Boo" (Monsters, Inc.), and Max, King of All Wild Things (Where the Wild Things Are)

Second row: The Vision (The Avengers #57), Miroku (InuYasha), Sango (InuYasha), The Buzz (Jack "JJ" Jameson) (Spider-Girl #18), "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Bret "The Hitman" Hart, Jet Headstrong (Bret Headlong) (Defenders of Dynatron City), Buzzsaw Girl (Wendy Weedwacker) (Defenders of Dynatron City), and His Highness The Prince Bambi of the Forest (Bambi: A Life in the Woods)

Third row: Walter Bishop, Ph.D., Fringe Division, U.S. Department of Homeland Security (Fringe), Shippō (InuYasha), Rin (InuYasha), Albert Clifford "A.C." Slater Sánchez (Saved by the Bell), Jason Nesmith (Galaxy Quest), Sir Alexander Dane (Galaxy Quest), The Honorable Hathaway, President of the United States of America (Monsters vs. Aliens), Ned Land (20,000 Leagues under the Sea),

Warrant Officer of Wardroom Rank (Master) Edward Henry Southwick, RN (Ramage), The Honorable William "Willie" Stark, Governor of the State of Louisiana (All the King's Men),

First row: The Reverend Fred McFeely Rogers, "Mr. Rogers" (Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood). Rogers, David "Dave" Kovic, alias The Honorable William Harrison "Bill" Mitchell (Dave), Tod (The Fox and the Hound), and Major and Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Hugh Wynne, Third Pennsylvania Regiment of Foot on the Continental Establishment, Extra Aide de Camp to His Excellency The Commander in Chief of the Combined Forces of France and America (Hugh Wynne, Free Quaker. Sometime Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel on the Staff of His Excellency General Washington)

Second row: His Majesty Simba, King of the Pride Lands (The Lion King), Agent 99, CONTROL (Get Smart), Porter (Payback), and Danny the Dog (Unleashed)

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

First row: Ethan Saunders, late Captain, American Continental Army (The Whiskey Rebels), George Geef "Goofy" Goof (Mickey's Revue), His Holiness Space Pope Crocodylus (Futurama), Rhett Butler (Gone with the Wind), Short Round (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), Daphne Ann Blake (Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!), The Honorable Philip "Uncle Phil" Banks, Judge of the Superior Court of Los Angeles County (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), Jean Grey, alias Marvel Girl, alias Phoenix, alias Dark Phoenix, alias Redd Dayspring (X-Men #1)

Second row: Lucky C. Leprechaun (Lucky Charms), Tony the Tiger (Frosted Flakes), Mrs. Gytha "Nanny" Ogg (Wyrd Sisters), Esmerelda "Granny" Weatherwax (Equal Rites), Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski (The Big Lebowski), The Honorable Frankenstein, Mister President of the United Provinces of America (Death Race 2000), Agitha, "The Princess of the Bug Kingdom" (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess), Jean Valjean, alias "Père" Madeleine, Mayor of Montreuil-sur-Mer, alias Urbain Fabre, alias Ultime Fauchelevent (Les Misérables)

Left to right: The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I was not prepared for Ctulhu. Great work as always.

How much longer did it take to draw Ctulhu?
------------
------------
My LPs
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Cthulhu took somewhere between three and four hours. It was the first effort at composing an image entirely in Photoshop, without a pencil-and-paper original. The "Doctor Who?" group picture is a second such effort, being done entirely in Photoshop (although modeled after a much older drawing that only went up to the Tenth Doctor, and did not include the Watcher or Valeyard).
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

The Valeyard seems very affable today.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.