Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Ketan
Redshirt

Re: Something big

Post by Ketan »

hi,

ok some objections

1.plz no superlaser for the dreadnaugt...that would be simply too crowded!

It is now cool!finish it 8)

2.the frigates sensors globe are really much too big, plz take the old one.

3.lasershots...I agree fully to evillejedi....looks to synthetic
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I will have to use rendering passes much more with the turbolaser effect I think. Trying to get it rendered in one pass might be too ambitious. The panels do have a very limited specular map, pretty much the same as the very light dirt pattern I have on everything. Texturing has never been my forte.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep playing with it.

I'll return the Procursator to the original globes.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Some updates:

Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Holy Hanna those are intimidating! Sucks to be Mon Cal.

What's the one in the middle, fractal? Is that your Bellator from a different angle?
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Count Chocula wrote:Holy Hanna those are intimidating! Sucks to be Mon Cal.

What's the one in the middle, fractal? Is that your Bellator from a different angle?
I think it's the current dreadnaught.

And also the last view any rebel ship wants to see.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

well it WOULD be the very last view they'd ever see :P
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Azron_Stoma wrote:well it WOULD be the very last view they'd ever see :P
I dunno... that's danger close for those superheavies. Their own splashback could harm the dread at those ranges. You might have enough time to run for hyperspace before they can snap on the tractors and interdiction.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Vehrec wrote:
Azron_Stoma wrote:well it WOULD be the very last view they'd ever see :P
I dunno... that's danger close for those superheavies. Their own splashback could harm the dread at those ranges. You might have enough time to run for hyperspace before they can snap on the tractors and interdiction.
There's enough LTLs to destroy any ship that it would let that close.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Vehrec wrote:I dunno... that's danger close for those superheavies. Their own splashback could harm the dread at those ranges. You might have enough time to run for hyperspace before they can snap on the tractors and interdiction.
Well, considering the main cause of slow grav-well initiation was supposed to be power limitations, I doubt there will be any issues with that :)
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Right, and an update of the surface material and some local details around the bridge module:

Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

looking awesome as always, makes me wonder how often this thing needs to be refueled, and how long it takes to burn through said fuel if going on full power.

can't wait to see perspective shots of the completed version. :luv:
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

The new texture brings out the details much, much better... Anyways, the ship is awesome (which you already know)... :D
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Great work fractal. I've been a long time fan of your work before I came to these boards. I do look forward to you completing this particular piece. It is glorious.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I am tweaking the effects a bit on the engines, mainly making the bleed-off from the flares more noticeable.

And something small and as a mild break from tweaking dreadnought details:

A repulsorlift vehicle. Single medium cannon (AT-AT/AT-SE chin gun caliber) in a turret, coaxial antipersonnel light laser (AT-TE/AT-AT/AT-SE cheek gun caliber), and two more twin mountings for the same light lasers. 1-2 infantry squads (depending on equipment), debarking from ramp at the back. About 15m long and 6m tall, so AT-TE sized, but faster.
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

Nice, A coventional Medium tank for the Empire, as the AT-AT and A6 Juggernaut are both a bit large like IOM Baneblade for normal smaller engagements.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

that is pretty friken sweet, though I personally would prefer an uparmoured AT-TE (so it looks almost like a kitbash of an AT-SE with an AT-TE configuration), I would love to see a dedicated repulsor tank vehicle though (no infantry carrying capacity), maybe with Treads or wheels as an auxiliary drive system.

maybe something in the 5 meters long area, like a modern MBT or such, for Urban warfare, something I could see rolling down the streets of Cardassia prime or Qonos :P

maybe shoehorn that AT-AT gun on it, love the sponsons and Warhammer 40k like configuration with Imperial technology though.

be fun to have something similar to an AT-SE but with Turbolasers on "arms" like a Warhound Titan XD

Star Wars Titans, be like corvettes on legs XD

wonder how much power they would have by comparison, I mean on the one hand they are allot smaller, but on the other they don't have to worry about Hyperdrives and huge ion engines,

maybe have weak repulsors to reduce the weight and improve their speed and agility.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Instead of sponsons, maybe like those miniature superlaser sphere-cannons like those in LAATs?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Hm, compound laser ball turrets, now that might be an idea :).

I'm probably going to make a few turrets and configurations for this, since it's a relatively simple project otherwise. Maybe a full MBT variant with a big turret in place of the troop compartment (which is rather large and spacious for 2 squads - if I crammed them in like in a modern IFV I could probably get a platoon and attachments in :P).

Some refinements, and size comparison to a familiar face:

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

What are those boxes or armored coils for just above the sponsons? Reserve power cells, ammunition, or something else?

And I agree with shroomy, compound beams seem a bit more flexible than these mounts. Although I would have to say removing the man from the ball would have to be a first step in any vehicle of this type.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Just a thought, but aren't those side-mounted weapons going to be subject to damage from any number of things on the ground? If this thing takes a corner too quickly and brushes up against a Star Wars Telephone Pole, the weapon will either be torn off or the whole vehicle might just get hung up on the obstacle.

And will you be making an interior, perhaps showing off the troop compartment at least?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Just a thought, but aren't those side-mounted weapons going to be subject to damage from any number of things on the ground? If this thing takes a corner too quickly and brushes up against a Star Wars Telephone Pole, the weapon will either be torn off or the whole vehicle might just get hung up on the obstacle.

And will you be making an interior, perhaps showing off the troop compartment at least?
Oo good point... Mounted guns should be on the top of a Vehicle like that since it will no doubt be smashing through various rough and hostile terrain over its usage.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
FSTargetDrone wrote:Just a thought, but aren't those side-mounted weapons going to be subject to damage from any number of things on the ground? If this thing takes a corner too quickly and brushes up against a Star Wars Telephone Pole, the weapon will either be torn off or the whole vehicle might just get hung up on the obstacle.

Oo good point... Mounted guns should be on the top of a Vehicle like that since it will no doubt be smashing through various rough and hostile terrain over its usage.
Mm, for a repulsortank? I don't think it quite works the same way as a Leopard 2 with a dozer blade... Why wouldn't it just fly over the obstacle, or vaporize it with laser fire? If it couldn't do either, you're probably not using it right. No one thinks its a great idea to operate large MBTs in dense rainforests or swampland, right?

Which sort of brings up a question: where do you draw the line between aircraft and repulsor-equipped star wars "ground" vehicles? Are there altitude limits for most vehicles besides, say, high atmosphere? After all, commercial vehicles could keep themselves aloft over canyon-like Coruscant terrain just fine.
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

I'm probably going to make a few turrets and configurations for this, since it's a relatively simple project otherwise. Maybe a full MBT variant with a big turret in place of the troop compartment (which is rather large and spacious for 2 squads - if I crammed them in like in a modern IFV I could probably get a platoon and attachments in ).
The MBT Variant is defintely something I am looking forward to seeing, the AT-AT and AT-ST cover light and superheavy units, but this and it's variants fill in nicely for Role of Medium Tank/Heavy Tank, as I feel SW really lack a tank of the traditional the classical variety, hover or otherwise.

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

I would like to see all these tanks in a Ortho view, like you did of the Bellator and the imperator, allegiance and tank togather group shot.

JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

fractalsponge1 wrote:Mm, for a repulsortank? I don't think it quite works the same way as a Leopard 2 with a dozer blade... Why wouldn't it just fly over the obstacle, or vaporize it with laser fire? If it couldn't do either, you're probably not using it right. No one thinks its a great idea to operate large MBTs in dense rainforests or swampland, right?
The ability to operate from cover and concealment might be important to a tank.