Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

CetaMan
Youngling

Re: Something big

Post by CetaMan »

Fractal, considering you did artwork for the EGTW can you as one "hired artist to another" contact the guys who made this and ask what was going through their heads?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Don't know who did it.

Old-school comics cruciform thruster arrangement.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The engines look cool, but I think it might look better if there only four sets, not five, as five makes the stern look too crowded and the outboard pair look like there isn't really "room" for them inside the hull.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

LOVE the retro rocket look of the Quad Thrusters, but I do agree it looks too 'crowded'
Four may be better, but again Love the look of it.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Or else - flare the trailing edge of the main hull up-and-out, extend it a bit, and play up the 'this ship has more engine than it really needs' angle.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

When I first saw the post on TFN for the FO deadnaught I thought it was April fools or something, (was on mobile at the time)

Imagine the poor suckers who had to greeble that mess (trenches have some very interesting structure though, A+ to those guys)

Art Director "hey you get to do the detail work on the new first order star dreadnought"

Artist "Awesome!"

Art Director "Here's the mockup from concept"

Artist "..." <cries for next 2 months>

for shame ILM
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

If you are going with the segmented engine blocks from the marvel references then maybe make the bridge extension more like the Wemis or Tagge cruiser?

actually going back to the original references the art style makes the hull angle very ambiguous
interesting that even though the bridge on my take on the tagge cruiser is obnoxious, it still doesn't reach the absurdity of the FO ship...

Anyway I really need to revisit my model and give it a proper update.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

It won't be like Wermis/Tagge because it's not the same ship. This is thicker overall, probably bigger, and has a reactor bulb. I'm pretty much going to call it Procurator and be done with the naming at this point, unless someone can think of why I can't lay claim to it :P
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

Only if you give it a bank or two of of 24+ vertical launch heavy concussion missile tubes along or on the dorsal spine to satisfy some head cannon of mine

also where are the tractor beam projectors on the Vigil?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi wrote: 2017-08-29 12:43am Only if you give it a bank or two of of 24+ vertical launch heavy concussion missile tubes along or on the dorsal spine to satisfy some head cannon of mine

also where are the tractor beam projectors on the Vigil?
Can it be ventral spine? :P

Vigil's tractor beam projector I'm thinking are the circular gear greebles on the prow.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Hi, long time listener 1st time caller. 1st I would like to say @ Fractalsponge @Evillejedi great work on everything u guys have done and continue to do for all. I'll right to it @Fractalsponge what is the updates on some models like the star gallon (I thinK I remember you said something about flat base design), Acclamator Frigate, TIE-series strike variant, and such. I understand some have to deal with commissions (speaking of which, I'm vary interested in how to have one made). Thanks to all that make this possible.
Bullets always have the right of away
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Finally giving the procurator an image to the name rather then people using one of the not-triangle fleet ships from dark empire or Tagge's cruiser sounds like a good idea, go for it.
Commander Veers
Redshirt

Post by Commander Veers »

Any thoughts on the big ol' flying wing?
I was initially taken aback (incredulous) at the huge frontal profile of the ship, but it's evocative of this ILM challenge design from years past:
So maybe given its part-shipyard part-dreadnought part-mobile base role, its shape makes sense.

I wonder also how much power it could put out? Any thoughts on that? It has to be the most powerful non-Death Star vessel yet.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

It looks to be about 50 executor volumes, so if it's well built, 1E29 watts. That's enough power to blast off the atmosphere, melt the crust, and blast the vaporized oceans into the atmosphere in a second. It could reduce a planet to gravel in 5 minutes.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Commander Veers wrote: 2017-09-02 09:03pm Any thoughts on the big ol' flying wing?
I was initially taken aback (incredulous) at the huge frontal profile of the ship, but it's evocative of this ILM challenge design from years past:

So maybe given its part-shipyard part-dreadnought part-mobile base role, its shape makes sense.

I wonder also how much power it could put out? Any thoughts on that? It has to be the most powerful non-Death Star vessel yet.
I think the basic concept makes a lot of sense. If it's a shipyard/base, it's not nearly going to be as powerful as a comparable volume warship. The shape is particularly bad for mounting reactor. I like the look. I think if they scaled this ship and the First Order dreadnought 10X, and made this the new dreadnought and the pizza slice a frigate/monitor, I'd be totally on board, and I might even forgive them for using a scaled XWvTF game model for Kylo's fighter, giving the new Royal Guards Super Mario mushroom helmets, and that stupid gorilla walker.

But, I think the class name is awful, like Megacaliber-6 awful. It's 10-year old fanfiction bad. I know this for certain because when I was 10 I thought a 1000km star destroyer shape ship that could blow up stars would be AWESOME :D. I think the 60km LENGTH is a bit stupid. Not because the boomerang is too big for the SW universe (Death Stars exist). It's not the absolute size that annoys me. What does: If it's 60km long it's >4 times wider than Death Star 1, and at a structure that is far less suited to the stresses involved. Why even have warship-style engine banks? How did space ISIS build it? WHY NOT BUILD ANOTHER DEATH STAR? It's not like a moon or a moon mass object needs warship acceleration or warship shaping. A Death Star has the volume and area for base and shipyard duties, and is a paradigm-changing strategic weapon in its own right.

If the thought/design process that led to the concept is what I suspect it is (RAR BIGGER TESB BETTER TESB RAWR), then I despair for the movie and all the sequels moving forward under the current art and writing direction.
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Post by Weedle McHairybug »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2017-09-02 10:50pm
Commander Veers wrote: 2017-09-02 09:03pm Any thoughts on the big ol' flying wing?

I think the basic concept makes a lot of sense. If it's a shipyard/base, it's not nearly going to be as powerful as a comparable volume warship. The shape is particularly bad for mounting reactor. I like the look. I think if they scaled this ship and the First Order dreadnought 10X, and made this the new dreadnought and the pizza slice a frigate/monitor, I'd be totally on board, and I might even forgive them for using a scaled XWvTF game model for Kylo's fighter, giving the new Royal Guards Super Mario mushroom helmets, and that stupid gorilla walker.

But, I think the class name is awful, like Megacaliber-6 awful. It's 10-year old fanfiction bad. I know this for certain because when I was 10 I thought a 1000km star destroyer shape ship that could blow up stars would be AWESOME :D. I think the 60km LENGTH is a bit stupid. Not because the boomerang is too big for the SW universe (Death Stars exist). It's not the absolute size that annoys me. What does: If it's 60km long it's >4 times wider than Death Star 1, and at a structure that is far less suited to the stresses involved. Why even have warship-style engine banks? How did space ISIS build it? WHY NOT BUILD ANOTHER DEATH STAR? It's not like a moon or a moon mass object needs warship acceleration or warship shaping. A Death Star has the volume and area for base and shipyard duties, and is a paradigm-changing strategic weapon in its own right.

If the thought/design process that led to the concept is what I suspect it is (RAR BIGGER TESB BETTER TESB RAWR), then I despair for the movie and all the sequels moving forward under the current art and writing direction.
Agreed that the name was pretty stupid (they could have gone with "Supremacy-class" at least, especially considering that the Supremacy, being the only ship of the class, would technically be the lead ship of the class), your suspicions that this is just ESB all over again and the likely declining quality of the sequels, and that, length and name aside, it's a pretty cool ship and the concept makes sense (it's essentially Outer Haven in space in terms of overall role. You have played Metal Gear Solid 4, right?). However, the 60km was actually referring to its wingspan, it's width, in other words. We have no real knowledge on its actual length. Here's the source: https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status ... 7853655040
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

If the flying wing design on the Supremacy (I refuse to call it Mega) is 60 KM wide, then it is only about as long as the Executor and at least it looks like it was built out of Executor parts (cortex area, engines, etc) so in that case I think I am okay with the concept of the First order essentially turning a shipyard full of unfinished SSD parts into a mobile battle station.

I have noticed that in a lot of the newer concept art (Rogue One, BattleFront II) the idea of star destroyers being docked into wedge shaped shipyard spaces is very prominent. It seems like a very limiting design since it would not allow various ship classes to dock due to different hull angles and would trap the vessel if it needed to leave the station (the pushout and navigation hazard level would be huge)
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

Also noticing some new design elements on the Procurator, the trapezoid ?sensor? tower and the chamfered flat blocks, have you used those before?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Wedge designs seem fairly common though when you include the prequels and some of the newer Clone Wars designs. If it's a deliberate design choice, a 'standard wedge design' might not be a terrible idea. Sort of how all Apple devices use the same input ports or whatever.

It is certainly limiting, granted. Possibly part of their duties is recovering and refitting old Imperial craft?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

It would work if the angle was the same, so far this has not been the case (ventor vs Acclamator is probably the largest deviation) and in the case of an SSD, docking is probably more hazardous than it is worth, so resupply vessels make a lot more sense unless you are at one of the major shipyards
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Where do you want your dorsal missile silo evillejedi?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi wrote: 2017-09-03 09:26pm Also noticing some new design elements on the Procurator, the trapezoid ?sensor? tower and the chamfered flat blocks, have you used those before?
Yep, the trapezoid tower is from...oh, maybe Wrath. And the flat blocks are symmetry-modified pieces from I think as early as Secutor.
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

Originally was thinking where the arrow is pointing, but maybe on either side of the bridge tower or on the flat area below the command tower?