Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

darthscott
Youngling

Re: Something big

Post by darthscott »

fractalsponge1 wrote:For the small ship name, I'm shortlisting Intersector, Funditor, and Velox.
Much thanks for updating the website, simply awesome stuff. Great job. Any chance of posting to the website some screenshots of some of your other WIP's like the Imperial Carrier, the Anon Imperial Star Frigate or the MC90?

My vote for the new ship is Intersector, it looks like it would fit right into one of the Fantasy Flight Games sourcebooks.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I decided this one needed some more time.

I'll be uploading some WIP threads, design notes, background reference posts, etc. Eventually :)
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Still a nice one - good idea to complete it.

What I'd like to see (besides the permanent request for a view from the bridge of a Bellator ;-) ) is a size comparison picture (or perhaps two) :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

darthscott
Youngling

Post by darthscott »

fractalsponge1 wrote:
I'll be uploading some WIP threads, design notes, background reference posts, etc. Eventually :)
Thanks. Looking forward to it, it is always worth the wait. Hope you get featured in some future Star Wars releases.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Is that a big ion cannon mount on the upper bow?

At any rate I like this design. How big is it supposed to be?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Amazing work as always fractal!
You have a real gift for being able to do the very small as well as the very big :)
It's so often the case that you see people drawing small ships "small" , like as if they were drawing it to fit next to a star destroyer or such... People forget how big a ship of "only" 200 meters can be in real life, so it's always awesome to see the level of detail you put in :)
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Yeah, SW ships are enormous. This "little" ship is almost double the length (just length, mind you) of a supercarrier.

Also, it's important to remember what I'm working from:

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I could see the Fulgor class being the mothership for the pursuit squadrons of Intersectors.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Agent Fisher wrote:I could see the Fulgor class being the mothership for the pursuit squadrons of Intersectors.
In principle that would work. Fulgor provides coordination, firepower, and response element to run down and deal with whatever the sloops find.

I think there would definitely have to be a separate tender from the logistical side. If for no other reason that Fulgor won't have much of a hangar (probably ventral centerline, under sliding armor). 2 fighter squadrons max, and the light stuff, not Scimitar or Starwing. One thing is it's very bad to have anything sensitive forward facing if you're a pursuit ship, and there's not much room besides reactor and engine assembly on the ventral side of this ship.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I would agree with a separate tender for logistics. something that would zip around to the various squadrons to top off the food, fuel, muntions. Not designed for fighting or chasing or anything. Just made for transporting goods and supplies.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Fractal, I just skimmed through this thread over the last hour or so and I have to say this is the best damn rendering work I've ever seen. It is awesome. You are awesome. Carry on. :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Chimaera wrote:Fractal, I just skimmed through this thread over the last hour or so and I have to say this is the best damn rendering work I've ever seen. It is awesome. You are awesome. Carry on. :P
Thanks!

This is basically done. Hangar in place under sliding armored doors:

Final armament 16x medium turbolasers (4 quad ball turrets), 20 light turbolasers (10xtwin), 24 missile/torpedo tubes.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Fulgor complete, with new hi-res renders and orthos:

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

A real greyhound when comparing engine to total ship size...

magnificent as always!

So what's next ;-) ?

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Nomada_Firefox
Redshirt

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

I like your last model, it remembers me to some old designs from marvel comics. Very good.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Time for some old TIE Fighter nostalgia:

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Oh hell yes!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

[snip missile boat]

I suddenly have the urge to let the TIE Defender mini on my monitor perform evasive maneuvers... quickly

Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

I do not get back here often enough...this is good. Magnificent, even.
The only purpose in my still being here is the stories and the people who come to read them. About all else, I no longer care.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

That Fulgor seems to sacrifice ftl-speed and firepower in favour of high sublight-acceleration, considering the size of the engines.

Anything new on you MonCal-cruiser?

Should you consider you next project to be another big wedge, I would wonder, what your interpretation of the Vengeance-class would look like (or its smaller cousin, the Victory-class frigate http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Victory_II-class_frigate ).
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

FTeik wrote:That Fulgor seems to sacrifice ftl-speed and firepower in favour of high sublight-acceleration, considering the size of the engines.
Definitely firepower, but I doubt it for ftl-speed. I haven't really seen any data looking at hyperdrive volume vs class designation. Certainly an Acclamator doesn't devote much more relative volume to its hyperdrive compared to a Venator, despite having a much better rating (0.6 vs 2). And hyperdrives can be quite small and totally internal.

Nothing on the MonCal yet. Just not really feeling it at the moment.

Missile boat will likely be the next, and relatively fast because it's a very sleek design. After that, we'll see if the inspiration stays and where it wants to go :)
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

fractalsponge1 wrote:Yeah, SW ships are enormous. This "little" ship is almost double the length (just length, mind you) of a supercarrier.

Also, it's important to remember what I'm working from:

What are the scale of those bridge windows. I ask because using the windows of a Nimitz carrier it is not double the length but I know those starship windows are bigger if they are ISD equivalents so I'd like to know to do a better comparison.

Also, to reactor bulge? All internal?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Double is an exaggeration. ~620m overall length - it's not the Saxton estimate, but I liked this arrangement better, with actual engine nozzles and bit roomier disposition in general. Reactor is all internal. I expect less but comparable to Acclamator peak power.

The bridge windows are an adaptation from my existing Star Destroyer bridges, so are quite generous - about 2.2m high.