Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 » 2020-04-28 06:05pm

Some of the designs definitely have evolved a bit, especially at the low end of the range where the scaling gets really sort of wonky.

Generally speaking, if I say it's MTL, I currently assume 200GT/shot like Acclamator unless specifically noted. The twin turrets on the Vigil and Velox I'm now assuming are 200GT weapons. Kontos is a pure 200GT boat - twins and quads are all 200GT weapons.

I generally assume KT for fighters and MT range for LTL, but exactly where in that range it falls I'm pretty ambivalent about. I think it's well possible that you can tweak the behavior by adjusting the balance between single shot yield and ROF.

As for mixed batteries, my thinking is that (quite apart from purely aesthetic concerns) larger weapons do offer something in terms of focusing power on single shield facings. Presumably a single shot landing in miliseconds beats the same power averaged across many hits over a tenth of a second? But there are cost, turret training rate, and ROF concerns for the larger weapons so ships big enough to mount the big guns generally also mount smaller and handier guns for general purpose use.

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus » 2020-04-30 11:16am

fractalsponge1 wrote:
2020-04-28 06:05pm
Some of the designs definitely have evolved a bit, especially at the low end of the range where the scaling gets really sort of wonky.

Generally speaking, if I say it's MTL, I currently assume 200GT/shot like Acclamator unless specifically noted. The twin turrets on the Vigil and Velox I'm now assuming are 200GT weapons. Kontos is a pure 200GT boat - twins and quads are all 200GT weapons.

I generally assume KT for fighters and MT range for LTL, but exactly where in that range it falls I'm pretty ambivalent about. I think it's well possible that you can tweak the behavior by adjusting the balance between single shot yield and ROF.

As for mixed batteries, my thinking is that (quite apart from purely aesthetic concerns) larger weapons do offer something in terms of focusing power on single shield facings. Presumably a single shot landing in miliseconds beats the same power averaged across many hits over a tenth of a second? But there are cost, turret training rate, and ROF concerns for the larger weapons so ships big enough to mount the big guns generally also mount smaller and handier guns for general purpose use.
And these are all based off the same reactor calculations that were done on the data page, right?
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 » 2020-04-30 01:16pm

More or less. The only fixed points are ISD = 1e25W, and assuming a 250m diameter reactor. Everything follows from that at some level.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 » 2020-04-30 06:35pm

For real time discussion, I have a discord up:
https://discord.gg/8u9FQF7

I check this more than forums these days.

CFletch08
Redshirt

Post by CFletch08 » 2020-07-15 08:16am

The Discord is fun but navigating/finding old posts, bookmarking individual posts for reference, or typing/reading long posts, are all much easier on the classic forum thread format.

But maybe I'm just old and set in my forum-reading ways.

I love the new ships, by the way. I'm especially enjoying all the group shots.