Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi wrote: 2017-09-06 01:16am Image

Originally was thinking where the arrow is pointing, but maybe on either side of the bridge tower or on the flat area below the command tower?
I'll put it in at the arrow, but zero guarantees it will be visible :)
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Procurator-class Star Battlecruiser - gallery up:
Beersatron
Redshirt

Post by Beersatron »

The Procurator is fantastic! Do you have a total weapons count? Along with crew/troop/fighter compliment?
MissJackiePage
Redshirt

Post by MissJackiePage »

The Procurator is just amazing! It turned out so good, the gallery makes my heart stop! And it was so super exciting for me to be able to watch this one from start to finish, I knew it would be awesome from the first WIP you posted. Fractal you are incredible <3 Like the most famous Star Wars fan since Saxton! Your beautiful Galactic Imperial star warships are an inspiration, and your dedication to self consistent interpretation of the materiel is to me an equal accomplishment! I cherished the technical discussions of the functions of Star Wars technology as much as I marvelled at the skill and craftsmanship manifesting in the art they cooperate with! I only hope I can be welcome here to participate in this thread and the unfolding of further projects like this one :3

For example!!! I decided to do my own calculation of an Imperator's power using the Death Star scaling method. Assuming Alderaan is Earth-sized with 2*10^32 J gravitational binding energy, to charge in one day (100 000 seconds) the Death Star needs about 2*10^27 W power. Using the Death Star plans shown in SW to compare the size of the reactor core to the size of the entire station, and assuming a station diameter of 100 miles (160 km), yields a core size of 8 mile (13 km) diameter, and so a power density of 1.74*10^15 W/m^3. Using the Imperator model I made based off of photogrammetric orthographics of the Avenger, and scaling to 1 mile gives a destroyer's spherical reactor at 120 m diameter. Multiplying the volume by the Death Star's power density gives 1.5*10^21 W! About 60 times our total thermonuclear arsenal per second ^.^

I think the discrepancy between my figure and the generally accepted 1*10^25 is based on the assumption that the Death Star had many orders of magnitude more power than required to blow up Alderaan. However, in my opinion, this is just a visual effects limitation making it impossible to realistically portray planetary destruction.

Anyways hello my name is Jackie and I love the Procurator~! <3
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

So, "Star Wars 36: Revenge of the Astromech" (The marvel comic) actually bothers showing us gun emplacements other then the largest 8-13 turrets on an ISD, most of the shown turrets seem to be based in a very fractalsponge style. I'll see if I can get an image.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2017-09-11 03:41pm Procurator-class Star Battlecruiser - gallery up:
Fantastic work as always Fractal!

I just had one question...is there suppose to be only one HT on the rear left shoulder of the ship? I noticed that instead of being matched on the other side by an identical turret...there's nothing. Was that on purpose of just something that you missed?

"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Also, would I be correct in guessing the armaments of the Procurator-class?

6 x Socket-mounted HTLs/HICs (port and starboard)
24 x Quad-Barrel HTLS (port and starboard, top)
2 x Quad-Barrel HTLs (ventral line)
11 x Quad-Barrel HTLs (hull bottom)
24 x Vertical Launch missile tubes
26 x Quad MTLs (port and starboard, top)
4 x Quad MTLs (bottom, nose)
4~10 x Quad MTLs (aft facing)
6 x Double-Barrel HTLs (ventral line, top)
-------------------------------------------------
Total of:

6 x Socket-mounted HTLs/HICs
43 x Quad-Barrel HTLS
34~40 x Quad MTLs
24 x missile tubes
23 November 1939
Youngling

Post by 23 November 1939 »

Abacus wrote: 2017-09-15 05:19pm Also, would I be correct in guessing the armaments of the Procurator-class?

6 x Socket-mounted HTLs/HICs (port and starboard)
24 x Quad-Barrel HTLS (port and starboard, top)
2 x Quad-Barrel HTLs (ventral line)
11 x Quad-Barrel HTLs (hull bottom)
24 x Vertical Launch missile tubes
26 x Quad MTLs (port and starboard, top)
4 x Quad MTLs (bottom, nose)
4~10 x Quad MTLs (aft facing)
6 x Double-Barrel HTLs (ventral line, top)
-------------------------------------------------
Total of:

6 x Socket-mounted HTLs/HICs
43 x Quad-Barrel HTLS
34~40 x Quad MTLs
24 x missile tubes
I concur with your tallies above of 37 quad-barrel HTLs (240-TT on the Bellator) and the ball turrets (triple-240 TT ion equivalents, if we go by the Allegiance)
I'll happily defer to your totals on the missile tubes and most of the quad MTLs (I am finding it difficult to locate all of the quad MTL sponsons).
I think the quartet under the nose are more twin HTLs (DBY-827s ala the Secutor), with three more forward of the missile tubes, one aft-and-above the missile tubes & two outboard of it, one on either flank of the middle pair of sensor globes (or shield generators if you prefer, not to rehash that debate), and a final pair aft of the bridge. So, 14 twin HTLs? Working off your own totals, perhaps:

37 x quad HTLs
6 x triple ball turreted HICs
14 x twin-barrel HTLs
26-32 x quad MTLs
24 x missile tubes
"They come on well; they learned that from me." -- Simon de Montfort
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

You know, I have to wonder, for as "Scientific" as Fractal is regarding his works...
Has there ever been a comprehensive compiling of the armament of his ships?
A full break down of turret sizes and numbers and additional weapons for each ship?
I imagine it would be a lot of work, but it seems like something he would keep track of.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2017-09-20 12:04pm You know, I have to wonder, for as "Scientific" as Fractal is regarding his works...
Has there ever been a comprehensive compiling of the armament of his ships?
A full break down of turret sizes and numbers and additional weapons for each ship?
I imagine it would be a lot of work, but it seems like something he would keep track of.
That's literally what I do each time he releases a ship...
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I keep track of reactor power, hypothetical acceleration, fighters, troops, HTL, heavy ion, and heavy missile tubes. I don't generally count MTL unless they are primary armament.

Procurator has 148x240TT HTL, 24x240TT heavy ion, 30x70TT HTL, 24 heavy missile tubes. Would have to be capacitor fed if all guns are in action; reactor power ~1.3-1.5e27W.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

1.3-1.5E27? That's more than I thought.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2017-09-21 11:29am 1.3-1.5E27? That's more than I thought.
Gan I can't math today. 1.3-1.5e26W
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote: 2017-09-15 04:59pm
fractalsponge1 wrote: 2017-09-11 03:41pm Procurator-class Star Battlecruiser - gallery up:
Fantastic work as always Fractal!

I just had one question...is there suppose to be only one HT on the rear left shoulder of the ship? I noticed that instead of being matched on the other side by an identical turret...there's nothing. Was that on purpose of just something that you missed?

Yes - I messed up and forgot to clone it across. Call it battle damage, yet to be repaired :D
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2017-09-21 10:17am I keep track of reactor power, hypothetical acceleration, fighters, troops, HTL, heavy ion, and heavy missile tubes. I don't generally count MTL unless they are primary armament.

Procurator has 148x240TT HTL, 24x240TT heavy ion, 30x70TT HTL, 24 heavy missile tubes. Would have to be capacitor fed if all guns are in action; reactor power ~1.3-1.5e27W.
Out of curiosity, why is it that you count individual barrels and not turrets? That's something I've always wondered.

As for the shoulder turret mishap, eh, no worries. I like your idea of saying it's yet to be repaired or added.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote: 2017-09-22 01:58am
fractalsponge1 wrote: 2017-09-21 10:17am I keep track of reactor power, hypothetical acceleration, fighters, troops, HTL, heavy ion, and heavy missile tubes. I don't generally count MTL unless they are primary armament.

Out of curiosity, why is it that you count individual barrels and not turrets? That's something I've always wondered.

As for the shoulder turret mishap, eh, no worries. I like your idea of saying it's yet to be repaired or added.
I do count turrets, but the number of barrels and their yield is what matters more to firepower. Here everything but the 70TT (twins) are in quads, so not adding much.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

From an engineering perspective you'd expect that, but from a general military PoV...eh. I'll stick to going over your ships with a magnifying glass to count turrets.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

TIE Defender 4k renders with materials:

Israel_#1
Redshirt

Post by Israel_#1 »

Hey, what weapons are on the procursator and the Legator class? I really wanna know the legator class. Oh and I'm a huge fan btw
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Love the hints of an interior and overall shape compared to the usual triple-interceptor, good job Fractal.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

More 4k updates:

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Fractal, have you done any interior modeling like the cockpits of the fighters or the bridges of some of you major capital ships? I know you have put some work into the hangers.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Patroklos wrote: 2017-09-30 08:07am Fractal, have you done any interior modeling like the cockpits of the fighters or the bridges of some of you major capital ships? I know you have put some work into the hangers.
Not really. A bridge would actually be a pretty big project despite being such as small area, because of all the individual little bits involved (plus I'd want it to sort of be functional, and that'll take a lot of research and pondering).
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

It might not be as hard as you think (meaning still hard!). US warships, for instance, have a standard console that nearly everyone uses, from the CO to the Air Warfare Coordinator to the Surface Warfare Coordinator. Some have a extra attachment here or there but it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a standard configuration with a few different common combos.

But yeah, the thinking it out bit would probably be the to true difficulty.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Well the console doesn't worry so much (that's going to be fudged by the movie aesthetic anyway), it's the scale. A bridge is a complete CG set, which can be easily the size of individual ships when all the parts are put in. Even my hangars are the absolute minimum for distance shots. Plus, I'm definitely not going to be modeling the bridge crew, so it'd be of limited use. Might be worth doing a very low poly bridge with glowy bits to show through the windows, but that's about all I'd do at this stage.