Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

It definitely looks retro. What would you place reactors at? 1E26 or thereabouts?
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Somewhat reminds me of Tagge's battlecruiser, even though it is clearly a different design. It does fit the "retro comic feel". One thing that strikes me as odd is the notable asymmetry.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

A lot of the asymmetry will be fixed when the detail is mirrored.

The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

CetaMan wrote: 2017-08-18 07:23pm Somewhat reminds me of Tagge's battlecruiser, even though it is clearly a different design. It does fit the "retro comic feel". One thing that strikes me as odd is the notable asymmetry.
Can you explain what you mean? Not seeing a lot of asymmetry. The parts of the center line that are mirrored are symmetrical.
23 November 1939
Youngling

Post by 23 November 1939 »

Definitely growing on me. As others have said, very retro feel, especially with the shape of the superstructure. I will be interested to see the ventral views. Right now, feeling like a Spanish galleon to a Praetor mk.II's Nelsonian two-decker.
"They come on well; they learned that from me." -- Simon de Montfort
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

The Original Nex wrote: 2017-08-19 10:38am
CetaMan wrote: 2017-08-18 07:23pm Somewhat reminds me of Tagge's battlecruiser, even though it is clearly a different design. It does fit the "retro comic feel". One thing that strikes me as odd is the notable asymmetry.
Can you explain what you mean? Not seeing a lot of asymmetry. The parts of the center line that are mirrored are symmetrical.
Misinterpreted a part that wasn't mirrored yet near a mirrored part as asymmetry, my mistake.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

What's the purpose of the bow structure?
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

"Mortem Delenda Est."

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2017-08-21 01:57pm What's the purpose of the bow structure?
Pursuit tractor beam mount, chase secondary battery (Venator guns). But mostly to give that hint of the Assertor chin profile and differentiate it from the pointy hull extremity in ISDs and Allegiance.
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

humor me and make a render like the second to last one without the 'navigation bridges' on the rear of the tower, right now it looks like the super structure from the dominator just grafted on
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

evillejedi wrote: 2017-08-21 09:38pm humor me and make a render like the second to last one without the 'navigation bridges' on the rear of the tower, right now it looks like the super structure from the dominator just grafted on
I'm not convinced the slimmed down one is better. I think the ship needs something wider to both recall the hex module and to give the whole tower profile some variation from a pyramid.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

That's one of the designs that screams for some gargoyles and spires :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Looking good, I think the larger, wide command tower definitely looks better on this ship, a nice way to make it distinct from the other imperial murderwedges.

Also, you can tell you've built a powerful ship when a Venator's main battery are reduced to bow chasers :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I'm with evillejedi, I'm not a fan of the navigation bridge, I feel like its a bit too far backwards, it makes that whole center area feel a bit back heavy if that makes sense. Aside from that it looks great.

I've been lurking in this thread for years and I love your designs.
Geforce
Redshirt

Post by Geforce »

hello fractalsponge,

it's time for you to take on a job at disney :D

As we currently see, your ships are even more detailed 8)

The new First Order Dreadnought is classified as a Mandator IV-class warship

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Geforce wrote: 2017-08-24 03:08am hello fractalsponge,

it's time for you to take on a job at disney :D

As we currently see, your ships are even more detailed 8)

The new First Order Dreadnought is classified as a Mandator IV-class warship
I HATE that thing. So much that I think there will be a very long rant incoming about it once I get the time to get it on paper.
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2017-08-24 11:33am

I HATE that thing. So much that I think there will be a very long rant incoming about it once I get the time to get it on paper.
Thank you. It's awful. It's like they took a concept sketch from pre and didn't change a damn thing going into post.
Commander Veers
Redshirt

Post by Commander Veers »

Absolutely love the new fleet Acclamator and the new battlecruiser. The battlecruiser's superstructure is very evocative of terrestrial battleships; is that something you were going for? Also, I assume totally spherical reactor? There looks to be room, what with the dorsal ridge.

As to the "Mandator IV", good lord. Not surprised at all by your reaction; what a shambolic-looking Dreadnought. When I first saw it in a YouTube thumbnail I thought it was your Vindicator.

I mean, the people who designed it clearly have no idea of even the most basic design principles of death wedges. Minimal room for a main reactor, no slopes for superfiring and stupid-big "point-defence lasers". Why are they tower block sized...

The general profile does appear as if it could be a 'built up' Mandator, but getting rid of all sloped surfaces seems illogical. Would you like to fire from the top batteries, or the bottom ones for this battle? Also, wtf is the aperture in the middle.

Only remotely likeable aspect is the big guns at the bottom, I've long liked the 'monitor'-style platform which the Recusant belongs to. It's like a big superlaser, but with perhaps fewer technical hurdles.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Here's some deeper thoughts on exactly WHY I hate the new dreadnought:

http://fractalsponge.net/?p=2568
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Any relation to the Acclamator-ish frigate seen in dark empire / listed as "Frigate two" at tf.net and the design you are making now?
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

The last of my "let's give him the benefit of the doubt" for Rian Johnson has now evaporated.

This dreadnaught has as much in common with a Star Destroyer as with the ship in the video game Asteroids (which is to say "it's triangular-ish").
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

They should actually hire fractal to design ships that aren't just a shitty triangle.

"Mortem Delenda Est."