Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Re: Something big

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote:And btw, that Home One model cannot be the same scale as the ISD, not if it's supposed to be 1.2km vs 1.6km. And 1.2km is utter bullshit, imho. I think even Liberty-types are ~1.5km, to be honest, and Home One should be a 2-3km ship.
From the sources I can find, the MC80 Cruisers were, at standard, 1.2km in length. Home One, according to the "new cannon" (*spits on the ground*) is 1.2km long. EU cannon has it being larger than 1.3km and makes a note that mentions some individual MC80 ships as being greater than the standard size. So for the SW: Armada game, it seems they've either decided or were forced to comply with the Home One being 400 meters shorter in length than the ISD.

The Liberty-class sources again make a note that "standard size" was 1.2km in length, but that individual ships could reach as high as 1.5km. -_-

Sad, but them's the breaks.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

@Fractalsponge:
Thank you for your background-information.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote:From the sources I can find, the MC80 Cruisers were, at standard, 1.2km in length. Home One, according to the "new cannon" (*spits on the ground*) is 1.2km long. EU cannon has it being larger than 1.3km and makes a note that mentions some individual MC80 ships as being greater than the standard size. So for the SW: Armada game, it seems they've either decided or were forced to comply with the Home One being 400 meters shorter in length than the ISD.

The Liberty-class sources again make a note that "standard size" was 1.2km in length, but that individual ships could reach as high as 1.5km. -_-

Sad, but them's the breaks.
Executor was 8km from all sources besides the movies for a while. I'm patient :).
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

To get back to the topic of Interdictor-ships (and then I'll shut up about it) I don't think, that we can use the Peregrine / Modified Strike Class as examplary for a Strike-class-sized design with gravity-well-projectors. The gravity-well-projectors in that particular case were salvaged from a captured Immobilizer-418-cruiser and not originally designed and developed to be used aboard a smaller vessel.

Following I have a number of quotes and descriptions found on the Wook in regards to Interdiction-ships:

First the Detainer CC-2200 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Detainer ... or_cruiser
CC-2200s were predecessors of the CC-7700 frigates, and the main interdictors of the Imperial fleet c. 19 BBY.
Nothing on size or armament, only that they are the fleets main interdictor in 19 BBY so lets have a look at the CC-7700 frigates http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CC-7700_frigate
The warship was based on its predecessor, the Detainer CC-2200 interdictor cruiser. A product of the Corellian Engineering Corporation, it was described as an "older sibling" of the Corellian gunship. The CC-7700 was designed to serve as a platform for a gravity well projector, and was only lightly armed.
Again, we only learn, that the ship was only lightly armed. However it is also described as "older sibling" to the Corellian gunship, suggesting the CC-7700 as well as its predecessor Detainer CC-2200 are in a similar size-class (which would be 120 meters).

However, if we use the search-function on wookiepedia, we get a second entry for the Detainer CC-2200 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Detainer_CC-2200, which tells us, that
The Detainer CC-2200 had stubby wing like projections, each of which housed four gravity well projectors which could be used to pull vessels from hyperspace. The cruisers were thickly armored and had downsloping bows.
Again we learn nothing about its armaments, but that the vessel houses four gravity well projectors (not one or two) and that the vessel is thickly armored.

Since there were two entries for the Detainer CC-2200 I took another look and also found a second page dealing with the CC-7700, in this case on upgrade to the original version called CC-7700E (suggesting there might have also been an A,B,C and D version, the Enterprise sends her regards) http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CC-7700/ ... on_cruiser . This one is described as
Compared to the original CC-7700 model, it had upgraded armor and weaponry. Its six shield generators were complemented by a carbon-nanofilament armor hull. Defensive weaponry included eight quad laser cannons upgraded to be almost as powerful as Clone Wars-era turbolasers and a large number of anti-starfighter cluster bombs, designed to go off in case of the proximity of starfighters. It was thought that even if a TIE Fighter could slip through the defenses of one of these ships, it would need to travel at almost its full velocity to be able to pierce the augmented hull.

The ship could project a gravity well several hundred planetary diameters. Numerous cruiser's fields would be overlapped to create an even larger interdicted area.
Again nothing on size, but the vessel seems to be a powerful little bugger with six shield-generators in addition to the gravity-well-projectors and eight quadlaser-cannons comparable to clone-wars-era turbolaser-cannons. Also we are given an idea about the range of the gravity-wells the vessel projects.

As a last and for completeness sake the entry on the Agave-class picket ship http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Agave-class_picket_ship . While those were a NR-design of 16 ABE, it is also suggested, that at least some of them had interdiction-capabilities.
Agave-class pickets were equipped with Class 1 hyperdrives, powerful sensors, a good stealth package, and shotgun hypertransceivers which allowed them to report information back to the battlegroup with a minimal risk of detection. Some also apparently have interdiction field generators, as was used by the armada chasing the Teljkon Vagabond. In the event of detection, an Agave-class ship could quickly jump into the safety of hyperspace. Agave-class picket ships' sublight engines provided moderate speed, but were capable of dealing with enemy patrols.
Considering the lenght of the Agave of 190 meters, this might come as a surprise, but is still better than the comparison to the 120 meters of the Corellian gunship.

Based on all of the above I would guess the Detainer-series of Interdictor-vessels to fall in a size-range between 200 and 400 meters and to consequently be smaller than SFS's Immobilizer-418 or Loronar's Strike Cruiser.
Their Corellian origin is also noteworthy given the propensity for Corellian designs to be used by smugglers and pirates.
Considering, that a major share of the workload of Interdictor-vessels would be the hunt for criminals such as smuggler and pirates and in most cases against those the use of a Star Destroyer or 600 meter long cruiser would be overkill the need for a smaller Interdictor is a given.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Interdictors are also supposed to be rare. Not a good fit for general purpose warships, though it would undoubtedly be useful.

As for size, I'm worried having a miniaturized one without a good idea of such devices being common in general service (Hapan mines are not that) in the target Civil War time frame. The definitive examples are Immobilizer, whose generators are very large, and Dominators, whose generators are even larger, close in volume to that of an entire strike cruiser hull. Immobilizers are supposed to be ~600m vs a strike cruiser's 450m. Peregrine mounted two of the 4 supposedly on an Immobilizer. Even drop it to one, then it's easily bigger than a hypothetical reactor, which seems to be a bad use of space for a ship that isn't designed specifically to mount one.

I'm also dubious as to the size of CC7700 - saying it's a sibling of a corvette while looking exactly nothing like one does not make me feel confident in a size call on it. But I am fairly dubious of a lot of the scaling of the Rebellion ships, and dubious in general of every New Republic ship design and the descriptions surrounding them. Seems really against the idea that technology is fairly static in the SW galaxy that those ships apparently give up nothing for being supposedly smaller and more capable than Civil War era ships. Endurance, acceleration, hull strength, reliability, or shielding, something has to give. But I suppose that stuff won't make it into most design fluff writing; few writers are well read enough to write about technical nuances in any scifi franchise, and most readers don't care. And the New Republic era also gave us the thankfully de-canonized Sun Crusher...ugh.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Did you place some blast shields next to the sensor dome ? Neat !

Once again I'm considering using one of your designs in one of my campaigns. Would make a nice mid-level opponent.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

What's the point of shrouding your own sensors? Eliminating all beam coverage means the dome shape has no actual point.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I assumed that the sensor globe wasn't an emitting surface but just a shroud for whatever was beneath. A bit of structural panel to stretch a shield over seemed like it would be fine...
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Small rework:
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

How much work is it to move such a panel on your model ? Do you define coordinates for each object ? I have no experience in computer graphics.

I'd still move the guns away from the sensor

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

This got me thinking what if the facets on the sensor dome actually did cover transmitting/receiving elements. So I decided to make some for the ventral surface:

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Raesene wrote:How much work is it to move such a panel on your model ? Do you define coordinates for each object ? I have no experience in computer graphics.

I'd still move the guns away from the sensor
You move elements graphically. The difficulty of modifying panels...depends on the method used and the surface.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Ventral area:

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

are those plates on the side of the main nozzle meant to be something to direct the thrust or something different?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^Yep.

Coming along:

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Engine integration and current overall shot:

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That is one mean looking ship. Great work.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Getting there:
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Looking awesome :)
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

I like the additions to the tail end.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Pretty much done. Might turn the centerline dorsal gun into ion cannon, just to have a mount in that caliber.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I'm going with Kontos-class for the name. See full gallery:

FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Kontos?

And what stats and purpose do you have in mind for your (awesome) medium frigate (seriously, TPTB should just hire you to design the vessels for their shows, it is better than what we get from them)?

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

The wavy design looks good in some views, in others the ship seems to be a pregnant guppy.

A different look, one that takes time to get used to, but a nice ship. some firepower, integrated starfighter support, definitely useful as a patrol vessel where a standard corvette is not enough.