Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Hangars now mostly integrated into the rest of the model. Interestingly, this ship has more launch spaces than a Bellator...

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Well of course it does! It IS the Venator-stretched model after all. :P
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

I doubt it would last long against a Bellator either.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i don't think an Executer or Eclipse would last to long against a Bellator. well maybe if the Eclipse got off a shot from it's tactical superlaser first...
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Well this ship definitely will not beat a Bellator. One is a Star Battlecruiser /fast battleship throwing an alpha in the 80-petaton range and another is a destroyer throwing in the ~5 petaton range. Taking this ship into a fight against an alerted Bellator is either suicidally foolhardy or suicidally brave, but, ultimately, suicidal.

Executor and Eclipse should take a Bellator handily, on the other hand. Executor's in the 1-3e27W range; given the volume available for reactor, I wouldn't be surprised if Eclipse pushes toward 1e28W. Assertor is in the 4-5e27W range.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

I think Marko got the Bellator and Assertor mixed up.
Ketan
Redshirt

Post by Ketan »

throwing an alpha in the 80-petaton range and another is a destroyer throwing in the ~5 petaton range.
what alpha firepower has a imperial I and II?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

fractalsponge1 wrote:
Executor and Eclipse should take a Bellator handily, on the other hand. Executor's in the 1-3e27W range
Doubtful, because then the Imps would not have needed a DS at Endor. But we have been over that already....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Why? I mean, the rebels had multiple cruiser-sized ships at Endor, and a lot of fighters loaded for strike missions on the Death Star. Conversely, the Empire brought only a single super-capital ship.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

A standard 1E25 W Imperator class should be able to put almost all her power output through the main battery- that comes to 2.2 petatons per second, more or less. Yes, this is world- wrecking firepower, what else was there to expect?

Interestingly, the mid- size craft seem to have the highest power to weight, there's the interesting kink in the system that if we're going to be consistent with what little is definitely stated about corvettes and corvette- class craft, a CR90 is about a millionth of the power output of an Imperator- and about a thousandth of the volume and approximate mass.

Executor, the working assumption is that she has power output related to the armament fit, which gives roughly 118x the power output of an Imperator (from the memory of the last time this was calc'd out in full) on 450x the displacement.

So it's a very lopsided bell curve, power to weight much higher at the large than at the small end of the scale, peaking in the middle- destroyer class ships might be the backbone of the starfleet precisely for that reason.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Vehrec wrote:Why? I mean, the rebels had multiple cruiser-sized ships at Endor, and a lot of fighters loaded for strike missions on the Death Star. Conversely, the Empire brought only a single super-capital ship.

Because if ECR's assumptions are correct, one Exec has enough firepower as 118 ISD-IIs. The Rebels have nothing approaching that and the entire rebel task force can fire less than the Executor.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Thanas wrote:Because if ECR's assumptions are correct, one Exec has enough firepower as 118 ISD-IIs. The Rebels have nothing approaching that and the entire rebel task force can fire less than the Executor.
Certainly the Executor's hull is big enough for a 1-3e27W powerplant. Assuming that the Mandator vs 1000 Recusant comparison is actually based on an approximate firepower/power generation basis, and an Executor is more power than a Mandator, it should be at least 7.7e26W, so 77xISD. Lots of caveats there, of course, but it's what we've got.

Re the Rebel fleet's survival: I don't believe we ever see a main gun fire from Executor in the move - there's the bit where light trench guns are exchanging fire with a Nebulon B, but that's about it. Given the holding order on the Imperial fleet, Executor probably did very little except soak up fire, explaining how the Rebels made it past the approach phase.

The Rebel fleet's composition isn't that well defined either, so there might have actually been enough ships present to have a decent chance of survival against Executor, at least in the short time window expected for the fighter strike. The strike team at least did not seem to think an Executor-class and two ISDs on station would have meant the whole operation was pointless and doomed to failure; heavy losses might have always been accepted, given the importance of destroying DS2 before it became operational.

Update, sorry for the delay, but was on vacation.

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

That is awesome! As for your vacation, all I give a crap about is that you had an awesome one!

I'm not exactly sure about the hull plate covering the front inner corner of the hangar bay, but that's the only thing that looks anything 'wrong' about the design.
Image Image
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

@fractalsponge:

Your original designs as well as your interpretations of canon/official SW-ships are truly awesome.

Would it be possible to add stats/numbers and your reasoning behind them to the pictures on your homepage?
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Stats: I've been meaning to collate my notes and put them somewhere central. Eventually.

Some more updates (very slow due to real-life work - go away for vacation then get swamped - zero sum world sometimes :) ):
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Ventral spine complete:

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I may have missed a post somewhere, but what do you envision those huge 'hatch' looking structures to be?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

I believe they are short range sensors or something.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I envisioned them as multi-function sensor emitter/receiver arrays.

Going home for thanksgiving, so this will likely be last update for a few days (ventral forward end done):

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Little bit while recovering from food:

Happy Thanksgiving all.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Some engine detail. Wondering whether the space between the outboard engines (to the left in the render) needs something to fill it, or if I should leave it to the shadows. Thoughts?

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Here's something for the shadowed area:

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

This thing is almost done.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Pretty much done...

The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

looks great! Are the forward arrays the same as those mounted on the conning tower of the Imp IIs?