It's been a while

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: It's been a while

Post by Rogue 9 »

Anyway, we going to keep reminiscing, or do we want to try to get one going? I'd be game. If we want to try to get the band back together I have Thirdfain's e-mail. Might want to see if Covenant wants to come back around too since he was the driving force behind 2k8's rules.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Somebody should probably poke Simon_Jester as well, he's usually involved in these.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Jub wrote: 2020-09-24 07:52pm Somebody should probably poke Simon_Jester as well, he's usually involved in these.
I just dropped a PM to Alyrium, Simon, Nephtys, Covenant, and Thirdfain. Most of them haven't been around in months to years (Alyrium excepted), but the board defaults to e-mail notification of private messages I think, so hopefully it gets some attention. :) It might be worth hitting up the Members of SDN Facebook group too (I can't do that right now; my FB account is shut down for an election behavior study) and the Discord server.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Hey guys
Do we have a discord chat?
Because if we don’t, we probably should...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Here's Ace Pace's general purpose SDN server. He hasn't set up separate channels, though; if we're going to take it over, we might want to prevail on him to do that. https://discord.gg/42Zhww
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'm up for getting something going. Already got a rough idea of the civ I want in my head which helps.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I mean, I'll just retread Nashtar. :wink: As for rules, I'd really like at least something resembling the ship specializations used in STGOD 2k7/2k8. Just throwing points together with maybe offense/defense specializations if anything rules out stealth, interdiction, etc. I'm less adamant about production points, shipping points, etc; as long as it's roughly fair the nitty-gritty of funding our civilizations is something I can roll with.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Beowulf wrote: 2020-04-08 11:58pm Ok, I tossed some stuff up:
https://kienhui.github.io/STGOD/SDNW8/Tsaj.html

I've still got to make it look prettier, I know. And there's more details to come.
Mainly quoting to ping you, but the link also leads to a 404 error.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-09-25 10:24am Here's Ace Pace's general purpose SDN server. He hasn't set up separate channels, though; if we're going to take it over, we might want to prevail on him to do that. https://discord.gg/42Zhww
"Prevail" :)

I think I'd be happy to have the players over, both in the general chat and any other channels you want.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ace Pace wrote: 2020-09-25 01:52pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-09-25 10:24am Here's Ace Pace's general purpose SDN server. He hasn't set up separate channels, though; if we're going to take it over, we might want to prevail on him to do that. https://discord.gg/42Zhww
"Prevail" :)

I think I'd be happy to have the players over, both in the general chat and any other channels you want.
Definition 3. :wink: Thanks again for running the server, by the way.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

joined the discord so huzzah for that. good to see you peeps there.

2k8 are good since its what i based my system off on in any case. I do like the idea of "production points" and growth as it feeds my itch for the "Expand and Exploit" part of any good 4X based game ;)

edit: Setting is space? For nostalgia.. I may go with the group I used for my very first STGOD, the "UISC" or as they became known buy others "The interstellar Furry convention"
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

TimothyC said on Discord that he'd be willing to moderate/judge if we get this thing going. If he or someone else actually wants to moderate and not play that has the potential to make it a lot better; it removes the appearance of moderator-controlled "random" events favoring one alliance/faction over others.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I may volunteer as a back up mod.
I know I am itching to play the game personally, but I worry I won't be able to keep up with it depending on things
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Historically moderators have also played. We just had multiple and their factions didn't ally.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-09-25 07:05pm Historically moderators have also played. We just had multiple and their factions didn't ally.
Edit: Also, moderator factions are typically neutral. STGOD4's moderator was playing a big aggressor power and somehow when he and his allies decided to start their steamroller, nothing ever went right for anyone else. I can't sit here and say it was deliberate bias, but when on the receiving end it sure felt like it. That was half my lifetime ago, though, and water under the bridge at this point no matter what the truth of the matter; I just bring it up to emphasize the importance of avoiding even the appearance of impropriety and of multiple moderators, so someone doesn't end up ruling on his or her own conflict.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

That is true...
what scale are we looking at for our nations? Dozens of plates? Hundreds? Or is this another "we can be as big as we want provided we RP it well" type thing?
If I re-use the Force I was planning on, my territory would consist of:

6 star systems
7 habitable planets
4 'core worlds
Numerous colonies / mining operations on moons and asteroids.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Too big gets unwieldy, narratively speaking. I just read back through some of STGOD 2k5, which was a tiered game. I was moving fleets of dozens to at one point over a hundred ships around and I was an intermediate power. (I also apparently thought it was a good idea to lean really heavily into knocking off Halo, a mistake I haven't made since and won't again.)

This is my fleet registry from 2k8. By contrast, this is the one from 2k9. (Looking back, I'm not sure why I didn't just put the whole ORBAT on the wiki; it's easier to manage than a forum post.) Granted, both of those could have been much bigger; my ships were on the... heavy end of the scale for their respective classes, with a lot of specializations on top of their base weight, but the scales of the games meant I was able to make that choice (and the points system meant I wasn't severely punished for making it). I find that scale to my liking for writing actions; for a typical task force I can name every ship in it and her captain, and even for major fleet actions a few viewpoint/"hero" ships get a broad enough cross section of the action for me to not feel like I'm just glossing over the majority of what's happening.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Going through my old layout for warships and re-jiggering numbers to get a better fit on things.
still trying to think of just what I want to do, what sort of push I want for my group, if I do wan to just re-use the UISC again, or something new and different.

One random note, been spending the night going through the old threads, reading history, remembering the old days... Something funny I notice... Despite this boards fondness for both Sci-Fi and Fantasy... The longest running threads were always the SDN-World games, always set in "relatively Modern" times. Those threads often hit 50 pages, and a lot of the space and fantasy ones died much earlier.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2020-09-26 12:19am Going through my old layout for warships and re-jiggering numbers to get a better fit on things.
still trying to think of just what I want to do, what sort of push I want for my group, if I do wan to just re-use the UISC again, or something new and different.

One random note, been spending the night going through the old threads, reading history, remembering the old days... Something funny I notice... Despite this boards fondness for both Sci-Fi and Fantasy... The longest running threads were always the SDN-World games, always set in "relatively Modern" times. Those threads often hit 50 pages, and a lot of the space and fantasy ones died much earlier.
STGOD4 went for 180 pages or so in the main thread. When 2k8 and 2k9 fizzled I still had plenty I wanted to do; hell, 2k8 Mark II ended with my just catching the Chamarans and Melconians (portrayed by Darkevilme and Raj Ahten, respectively) nuking the hell out of an NPC Dyson plate colony right after I caught and let go a Chamaran stealth pod. The real irony for me is that I got rolled in STGOD4 because I didn't plan ahead very much or spy on the other players, and now that I have learned to plant those seeds early, nothing comes of it. :P

Anyway, I'm optimistic about this one if we can pull in a player base. Discord is a powerful tool. I also have some IRL friends who have played similar games elsewhere that I might convince to join up.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Speaking of Discord, the invitation link I posted above is temporary and expiring in a couple of hours. This one's permanent (thanks, Ace!). https://discord.gg/eBggHPT
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Dunno how well discord suits large text posts
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-09-26 07:56am Dunno how well discord suits large text posts
It doesn't. I'm not suggesting playing the game on there, but for player coordination out of game a chat function works much better than a forum thread. The traditional way still works, of course, but I think the ability to talk something out in real time can get the game moving along better than back and forth over days via posts.

Edit: Of course, last time I played in these the forum didn't have notifications for when you were quoted, etc, so that might be help enough.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Do we want to open up an OOC thread for getting details about our civilizations nailed down or should we do it here?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I'm up for moderating again. I just don't write fast enough to have a PC.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Jub wrote: 2020-09-26 12:30pm Do we want to open up an OOC thread for getting details about our civilizations nailed down or should we do it here?
I was just going to propose starting one.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!