Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: 2014 STGOD Story Thread I

Post by Siege »

'The Glasshouse', Knight Errant Secure Facility
Roebuck Street, San Dorado

Outwardly the Glasshouse looked like any of the other skyscrapers on Roebuck Street. Located in a fashionable neighborhood, in a street of peppy shops and upscale condominium towers running north-east from Candace Green to Vandycke Parks, the building was a perfect blend of banal and innocuous. That was why Knight Errant had selected it, although the other occupants probably didn't even know the mercenaries were here.

There were some tells: the private parking garage, the SUVs with their blacked-out windows, the four floors in the middle of the tower that could only be accessed with via keycard and password. These things might give some people pause, but the official cover - a secure data facility for a private investment bank - satisfied curious onlookers. No-one working in the rest of the building knew the truth, which was that the Glasshouse housed Knight Errant's main interrogation center.

With world-spanning reach and operations in unstable countries that cared very little for the rule of law, San Dorado's PMCs had sordid reputations when it came to human rights. Stormbrink notoriously had interrogation centers attached to facilities in Sankara and Bentacruz and Paragon Security was infamous for its ‘for profit rendition’ black site program. Knight Errant was different. It prided itself on a spotless record and strict adherence to the rights of its prisoners. No sleep deprivation. No waterboarding. No ‘stress positioning’, starving or nail pulling.

It was a very good way to score contracts in the civilized world, Major Chidera thought, and a lofty principle that deserved sticking to. It was what separated him from medieval torturers. Interrogation was a science now, a matter of applied human psychology and information theory. It was elegant, clean - basically as humanitarian as holding men captive against their will to pick their brains could ever be.

The man on the other side of the one-way mirror was one of three picked up in Cali the week before. One of them was still in intensive care in a secure hospital; the other two had spent the last days here at the Glasshouse being questioned. Okar Chidera was an expert interrogator. He knew all the tricks of the trade, had worked with Knight Errant’s finest to develop interrogation and counter-interrogation techniques. Which was how he’d recognized that he was dealing with professionals.

It was normal for new arrivals to not talk to him. It was expected, and could last days, weeks, however long it took for their natural defiance to seep away, and for desperation to sink in. But these guys didn’t just not talk, they didn’t connect, at all. They refused to make eye contact. They didn’t acknowledge his presence. They just sat in their chairs, passively, as lively as sacks of potatoes. They tapped and scuffed their feet erratically and intermittently, to throw off the rhythm of his questions.

A lesser man might become frustrated, or angry, might raise his voice, might threaten terrible physical consequences. Not Okar Chidera. He knew he had all the time in the world. These men were going nowhere. Eventually they would realize that. Eventually, everybody talked. It was just a matter of time.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Rheinland Nachrichten

Government to closely monitor Granadian crisis
The Chancellery has released the following statement regarding the crisis in Granadia:

We view with great concern the ongoing situation in our neighbour, the Kingdom of Granadia. Rheinland is offering financial and political assistance to our southern friends, whose stability we view as essential to the region and our own well-being. Therefore the Reichskanzler has instructed the departments of finance, economy and foreing affairs to offer a comprehensive aid package to Granadia that will secure our investments as well as those of ordinary Granadians. At the same time, we urge caution to anybody trying to profit from the misfortune of others.

Results:
- Rheinland sends enquiries to Granadia asking them how they can help and offering support.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

City of Cali
13 March 2014

"Man, if Santana see us he gonna cut us up!"

Michael didn't allow himself to sigh with frustration at Dominic's continued wailing. "Not when I deliver him something of value."

They were in the safehouse apartment he had set up for Dominic. Michael had quietly cut the phone lines in the room and made sure Dominic's only contact was through an isolated phone that could only call his cover ID phone number. He didn't worry too much about Dominic leaving; Dominic was convinced that the moment his face apopeared on the street, Garza or some other member of the Castor Cartel would come along and execute him.

"What you got that Santana would want, man?! He deal with big stuff. He not gonna go for you walking up, offering money!"

"I figure that. I'm going to give him something more valuable." Michael looked over his notebook. "Now, tell me more about Garza."

"I told you it all, man."

"You're sure?", Michael asked, making his skepiticism plain. "There's nothing you've held back? Becuase I'm going to be able to tell, Dom, and if you did I'm going to shoot you."

It was the eyes that gave away Dominic. He knew something. He just wasn't sure how big it was, and he'd been saving it for a rainy day. "Garza, he snitches, man," Dominic finally admitted.

"To who? Estacados?"

"No man, he not that crazy. He snitches to some merc. Some badass, San Dorado accent."

"So he's providing intel and info to one of the Doradan merc units. That's good, I can use that."

"Santana not gonna care that much, he work with them sometimes."

"Yeah, but that's the best part of having someone who gives away informatiojn." Because you can twist things so he seems to be giving that information to the wrong people.

Later that day Michael entered the cafe where Garza preferred to take lunch. The swarthy, big-cheeked man was Calian with the features of one of the north Medillin native tribes. He saw Westin approach and went for his gun. "<Who the hell are you?>"

To sell his cover, Michael responded in English. Not just English, but a thick West Daedalan accent. "Call me Pavel. I'm looking for information, can pay handsomely."

Garza scowled at him and looked around, making sure the people around him were loyal ones. "Alright. Tell me what you pay."

Michael gave a price. It was exceedingly generous.

"Good price. What do you want?"

"Information about La Estacado and some guns they're running into north Medillin." The question was sincere, but Muichael didn't expect Garza to cooperate.

Garza scowled at him. "La Estacado's gun running? That information is not for sale."

"I can make it worh your while."

"Santana would kill me if I gave you such sensitive information. Now get out."

"You don't want my money?"

"Can't spent it when dead. Now leave, before I decide to make you dead to be safe."

"A shame. Another will take my offer, so I am not worried,." He left the cafe at a careful pace, keeping his expression neutral.

When he was safely in his car, Michael checked his recorder and listened to it while checking the key words off of a list. When the list was shown to be complete he drove off.

A phone call, an actor for the other side of the conversation, and some creative editing later....

15 March 2014

Dominic had gone in first, full of fright, to make the introductions. Michael watched carefully from a distance as he was manhandled by Santana's enforcers. This, at least, made his performance quite genuine and he was allowed to stand and go to the door, where he made the pre-arranged motion to Michael to come in.

Garza had favored a low-scale cafe. Santana had a restaurant that specialized in New Granadian and Old Granadian cuisine, as well as local Kalahari dishes. It was better dining and he was busy at work on a baked enchilada dish. "So I am told you have information for me?", Santana asked. "How much do you want?"

"It's not money I'm after," Michael answered, taking the offered seat. "I need information about La Estacado and their gun smuggling. In return, you get information on who the mole in your organization is."

"I have no moles in my organization," Santana replied. "And I don't like men who try and turn me against my people." In one fluid motion he pulled a knife out and pointed it at Michael. "Do you know how long I can make a man survive cuts with my knife?"

"Quite long, I've heard." Michael produced a tape. "I don't want any trouble with Castor, just La Estacado. They're already shooting your people in the streets. How long until their mole gives up your stashes, which ships carry your cargo, and every bit of information the need to wreck your operations?"

"And you're willing to prove this to me all for some guns?", Santana asked, incredulous.

"That's what I need. If I'm getting less than you, that's fine so long as I get what I need."

Santana seemed to think on it. He snapped his fingers and one of his people handed him a notepad. "Here is a warehouse they use, and the name of the barge heading into the Chacos. I will give you this now and we will listen to your tape. If it is good, you leave with your information. If it is bad, I cut you into little pieces, yes?"

"It's about what I expected."

The tape played out. Garza's lines from their talk the other day were re-arranged by tthe best equipment around, now joined by a diifferent man, and the implication in the tape was clear; Garza was speaking to La Estacado. Santana's cheeks turned red. He cursed his underling in Spanish and looked to his men. "Bring Garza, now, and search his home. I want to know everything."

They nodded.

"It appears we have a deal," Santana said to Michael. "Go, now. I am in a sour mood."
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Coulson cautiously entered the cafe and went to a table near the door. His informant was already there. They'd met several years earlier while Coulson was working in San Dorado. Convincing the informant to assist Corona had been one of the first major successes of Coulson's career.

Coulson sat down and ordered two beers.

"Its been a while. But things have gotten out of hand here. I need more information."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Meanwhile in Champa, rumours spread that whaling will soon be banned. People start stocking up.

"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Cafe Colombia | R. Simon Bolivar 114 B
Campo Valdez, Free City of Cali

The man from Stormbrink fidgeted, wiped a trickle of sweat from his face, drank water and looked around the nearly deserted cafe. "Look man, you're on the up and up, and your money is good and all," he said and glanced at Coulson with dilated cocaine eyes, "but this is some seriously risky business, meeting like this." He wiped some imaginary trace from under his nose with the back of his hand. "Those fucking scalphunter guerillas from eastern Medellin are on their way here, did you know that? Morillo and the ELKC aren't stopping them this time. The cartels are fighting in the streets, so they ain't in a position to do anything about it. And when they get here, who knows what they'll do, but it won't be pretty."

He nervously gulped down some of his water. "It feels like this city, like it's gonna implode. The local VIPs, well, you check any flight outta Cali, it's full of bigshots getting out of here. Rats fleeing a sinking ship. Word is the mayor and his cronies gave us, you know Stormbrink and KE, carte blanche to do whatever to stop their little empire from falling apart. They're taking it real serious, too. I mean, you musta noticed the drones and helicopters all over the city? And I don't know everything about it, but..."

His voice dropped to a whisper. "There was a black flight that came in the other day at the military terminal. One of them little Chiron jets, you know the ones that look just like business jets but aren't? Word is the Colonel dropped in a fuckin' Archeus Team to deal with a bunch of high speed low drag assholes making trouble around town. They blew up a truck and snatched those guys in the middle of the street." He snapped his fingers. "Just like that. In clear daylight!" He used a napkin to wipe the sweat off his forehead. "I mean, shit. A fucking A-team? That's stone killers, man. They won't even blink when they cut your throat. I don't wanna be anywhere near those motherfuckers. If they're here, you know Stormbrink ain't fucking around." He narrowed his eyes. "Fuck, those guys that got their truck shot out from underneath them, those weren't your people, right? 'Cause if Colonel Lau knows you and your guys are in town, let me tell ya, you're not long for this world."
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

???? | ????
????, Antarctica

The driving snow of an Antarctic blizzard was no place for an aircraft, especially not one on the wrong side of Umerian Territorial Claim without an IFF code. But raging tempest or not, this was where they were. Besides, any FLIR detectors the Umerians might have would be useless in the storm and even millimeter wave radar wouldn’t help them much. Difficult as it made the extraction it also provided excellent cover.

Cruz had his head wedged against the side of the Wyvern’s left canopy. Palmer mimicked his position on the right hand side, staring into the storm-swept darkness, hoping to spot either the strobe beacon or the icy ground before their shaking aircraft hit anything more solid than a snow-flurry. Palmer didn’t have a clue what they were here for exactly, but the fact that a Nightfall submarine had been dispatched under the Daeva ice shelf to insert their VTOL covertly was enough to convince him it was probably pretty important. Beyond that, well... After four years flying for OGRE Solutions and another six for a series of sketchy freelance outfits, Cormac Palmer knew better than to ask questions.

“There!” Cruz called and Palmer craned his head to see. He caught the flash of the beacon and banked the plane towards the strobe, simultaneously flaring the Wyvern to drain off momentum as he started the engines into their transition. Now was the moment of maximum danger, the tilt-rotor dependent on a mix of thrust and lift that changed from moment to moment as the storm surged around them. Palmer worked the aircraft as though she were a lover, drawing maximum performance from her, holding her against the fierce gusts until they were safe in a glide toward the surface to make what under the circumstances was a remarkably soft landing.

The sleek gray Wyvern edged forwards until the men clustered around the beacon could be seen. Dressed in white camouflage and laden with weapons, the men of Blue Indigo were a motley elite, veteran mercenaries drawn from half a dozen militaries. But there were only six of them, there should have been twelve, and two of the six were clearly injured and being held up by their team-mates. Palmer pivoted the plane around and lowered the rear ramp a scant few yards in front of the spec-ops team.

“Help the loadies get them aboard,” he ordered Cruz as he watched the team stagger forward towards the ramp. Cruz got out of his seat and hurried down to the ground, helping the men carry their cargo. There were three heavy metal containers plastered with bio-hazard signs. Even through the eye-blinding white of the blizzard, Palmer noticed the generous amounts of plastic explosives stuck on the crates, wired to blow the second the seals was broken. Palmer also noticed that the soldiers eyed the crates with a mixture of fear and horror on their faces. A few hairs rose on his neck as he rushed to help.

One of the commandos, a pale-faced man who carried what looked like a flamethrower signaled Palmer to hurry. They had to do this quick. The storm offered some cover, but if the six missing men were any indication then somewhere in the storm someone - or something - was looking for them. Palmer helped drag the crates into the cargo compartment, then quickly hurried back to the cockpit. Spooling up the turbofans for take-off as Cruz raised the ramp and strapped himself into the co-pilot seat, Cormac Palmer desperately tried to convince himself that he had only imagined the sound of scratching claws inside the last crate...
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Written mostly by Siege, with some input from yours truly
Southern Valkyrie | 1500m above the Central Sea
Approaching Yezhovo-Cherkessk, UOCSR[/i]

“Bloody communists,” Aurora resignedly murmured as the pale gray UOCSR coastline came into view. She shook her head, not for the first time this journey. “God-damn. If my father could see me now, he’d be laughing so hard.”

Phani Angeimiro craned her head. The sniper’s auburn hair was tied into a short businesslike ponytail that accentuated her scrawny Vedic features. “Your father was a communist?”

Aurora let out a short bark of laughter. “No. But I’m sure he would have appreciated the irony of his little girl coming over to work for them.The last heir of the Dukedom of Walkinshaw, come to work for a bunch of communists out of sheer capitalist desperation. Yeah, that’s gotta be worth a laugh.”

“Your father’s dead though, isn’t he?,” The sniper continued, blithely ignoring Drax’ darkening expression. “Doesn’t that make you royal or something?”

“Sure, I suppose,” Drax rolled her eyes and made a throwaway gesture toward the sea outside. “Behold the eighth Duchess of Walkinshaw, last of her line, worth sweet fuck-all in the grand scheme of things.” She looked at Phani and changed the subject. “What about you? Did you ever work for communists before?”

In the space of a heartbeat Phani’s face fell into a perfectly neutral expression. Her voice was studiously devoid of inflection when she said, “there were a few run-ins. Nothing much to write home about.”

Aurora didn’t buy it, but shrugged and turned away. She didn’t much like talking about her own past, and turnabout was fair play. Ahead the UOCSR continued to resolve itself in more and more detail. Already it was clear that the grayness of the coast was far from a natural feature. Approached from this angle Yezhovo-Cherkessk was a beehive of industry: railway yards and great concrete assembly plants, clouds of smoke and vapor rising from giant cooling towers, industrial harbors and multi-level overpasses, and in the middle of it all the endless warren of steel pipes and eternally flame-tipped gas towers of the largest chemical plant in the country. This was the ‘special economic zone’, a walled-off enclave of rabid capitalist enterprise in the middle of Soviet utopia.

The special relationship between the UOCSR and San Dorado was a long and strange one. It began right here in this city, at the height of the civil war. In the middle of an unusually harsh winter the people living in the bombed-out ruins of Novye Zay, as the city was called back then, had been days away from mass starvation. With Daedalean forces cutting off overland supply routes the desperate leader of the local soviet offered a company called San Dorado Shipping Enterprises gold looted from cracked Daedalean vaults if only they delivered his people food and shelter. His own commissars were hours away from executing the man when the first freighter pulled into the ruined harbor. When the revolutionaries asked the representative aboard how she got the ship past the naval mines blocking the harbor she famously replied that such trifles were not enough to keep a Cortlandt from fulfilling a contract if it had her signature on it.

And as was so often the case, San Dorado had simply never left. Someone had to rebuild the shattered cities, and in a time when very few nations were willing to touch the revolutionary regime that replaced the Daedalean Empire it was ironically enough the people at the other end of the ideological spectrum that proved willing to provide the investment necessary to get the country back on its feet. In the newly designated special economic zones well-educated but cheap laborers worked in capitalist-owned factories to provide the world with cheap consumer products like personal electronics and automobiles. In exchange the UOCSR got a cut of the profits in much-needed foreign currency, and slowly but surely rebuilt its base of technology.

More than forty years later this relationship was still going strong, and remained one of the greatest curiosities in diplomatic circles. Some wondered if bribes were paid. Rumors about sexual favors, terrible blackmail or top-secret accords abounded. The bare-bones fact of the matter however was simply that both sides profited handsomely from the arrangement.

So this strange symbiosis persisted, and as a result the Southern Valkyrie could dock at a concrete quay thousands of kilometers away from San Dorado and still be greeted with the familiar sight of armed SANDEX Risk Control soldiers in their naval blue fatigues. Samantha Savage self-assuredly took the lead and quickly and efficiently lead the small group of mercenaries through the maze of offices and security barriers that was the local port. Corporate security simply melted away before her, a testament to Savage’s influence and connections and, Drax thought, another sign that the Delta Dukes were way out of their league.

The group passed through a breeze blocked service corridor with pipes and cables running across the ceiling, and then into a service elevator that went up… and up… and up, for a very long time. When the doors finally reopened the scenery had changed: concrete bricks and synthetic floors made way for steel and glass and soft carpeting. The mercenaries emerged in an expansive office near the top of what had to be one of the central towers of the SEZ. Four meter tall glass walls surrounded the place, granting a fantastic view of the sprawling industries below and the city in the distance. A conference table stood in the middle of a room walled off in yet more glass. The AxumFinans logo, a fractal flat-topped pyramid under a semicircle, hung suspended within that glass, somehow visible from almost every angle, an expensive trick of light and tomography.

Two other people were already in the room. One was a stocky man wearing a maroon beret and a green camouflage uniform over a blue-white striped shirt. A Makarov pistol was strapped to his hip. Like a professional bodyguard he’d positioned himself to be able to cover the second person in the room, a tall woman whose dark ash blonde hair fell down onto a gray military overcoat marked only with the blood red badge of the Organization for Doctrine Compliance. Sacha Dragunov waited patiently until the mercenaries had all filed into the room and closed the door. Then she nodded to Savage, as ever in her woman business shirt over fatigue pants. “Miss Savage, I presume.”

Savage nodded curtly. Kir Fomin glowered silently at the mercenaries, clearly less than pleased by their presence. Introductions were made as the people in the room shook each other’s hands. Aurora noticed a slight frown on Phani’s face as she shook the Spetsnaz officer’s hand. She raised an eyebrow, but the sniper just shrugged and moved on. The group sat down in the expensive leather chairs lined around the large steel and glass conference table in the middle of the room.

“Gentlemen, ladies,” Samantha Savage began. “Thank you for coming. And a special welcome to our esteemed partners from the Organization for Doctrine Compliance. I know that you may not be wholly comfortable operating alongside private agencies, so I thank you for your flexibility and your cooperation.”

Dragunov chuckled mirthlessly. “My superiors did not give me much of a choice, I must confide. I was told to be in your glass tower, so here I am. I am eager to learn how your work and my… case… overlap, because this I have not been told.”

Savage nodded at Dragunov. “I will make this quick then. You and I have been investigating two different thefts on two different continents that are related. Yours involves the burglary from the People’s Museum of Ethnography. We have been exploring a similar crime, a theft from the private collection of our employer.”

“And who might this employer be?” Fomin asked pointedly.

Drax’ eyes slid from Fomin, to Savage, to the corporate logo projected inside the wall. Then she thought of the insane luxury of the Halcyon Rhapsody and sucked in a breath as she put one and one together. “De La Warr,” she whispered. Then, louder: “fucking Malachy De La Warr. That’s who you- who we’re working for. That’s who’s running this show, isn’t it?”

Savage gave her a small smile. “A very astute deduction, Miss Drax.”

Fomin knitted his brow. “De La Warr? I am unfamiliar with that name.”

“He is a very private man-” Savage began.

“He owns AxumFinans,” Sirocco Montague cut in. The infiltrator rubbed her chin. “And half the world besides. Malachy De La Warr is the richest man in the world. They say…” She shifted in her seat. “Well, he’s supposedly worth three hundred billion. Or more. Not counting his company. There are countries that make less money than him. His companies have companies. He has… I don’t know, armies of people working for him. What does he need us for?”

Sacha Dragunov kept her expression nonplussed, but made a mental note of the name. She hadn’t heard of De La Warr before, but she knew his company. Even in the UOCSR it was impossible to not have heard of AxumFinans. Which, she supposed, said something about its ubiquity. If this corporation had the power to summon her here, then it clearly had more influence over the UOCSR than she was personally comfortable with.

“The identity of our employer is neither here nor there,” Savage cut off the murmurs around the room. “It is irrelevant. For the purposes of this operation he is just a man who has been burgled.”

“Let’s assume for a moment that’s true,” Aurora tried her best, most reasonable voice, and immediately realized she wasn’t very good at that. “What’s been stolen that’s so damn important you drag us across two continents, and then call in the lord inquisitors here?” She pointedly ignored the ugly face Dragunov made at hearing the mock title.

Savage was silent for a few seconds. Then she looked Aurora in the eye. “Tell me captain,” she asked, her tone flat. “Do you believe in lucky charms?”

Aurora blinked. Something about the way Savage pronounced those last two words made it plenty clear she wasn’t just talking about rabbit’s feet or four leaf clovers. She was talking about much more deeply ingrained in San Dorado, and much older, about burning dollar bills on the altar of Fortune, about the sort of ancient trinkets you could find in backstreet obeah parlors of Ozone Hills and Neptune City. A superstition so deep it might as well be a religion. Or a heresy, given the looks that Dragunov and Fomin were exchanging. She shrugged. “What about them? I don’t buy into hokey religions myself.” That earned her another death glare from Fomin. Aurora grinned. She was starting to enjoy herself.

“Much as this may surprise you, captain,” Savage drummed her fingers on the expensive glass table, “some people do buy into it.” She manipulated some kind of control built into the glass and the windows suddenly turned dark. A projection appeared inside the glass wall. It was a photo of an antique statuette, a wide-shouldered male with a long, rough-hewn beard and big eyes, fashioned out of black stone. The statue held a simple golden medallion in its hands. It looked very, very old. “Our employer’s collection of antiques is… substantially protected, but this object was stolen anyway. It is approximately 46.4 centimeters tall. Am I correct in saying this object bears a striking resemblance to the piece stolen from your museum, commissar?”

Dragunov tilted her head. “Let’s say it does.”

“Then you should probably know that this is a statue of King Solomon.” Fomin perked up noticeably, and Savage gave him a nod. “Exactly, that King Solomon. We believe it is one of a series of three such statuettes, representing the gifts God bestowed upon Solomon: knowledge, wealth, power, each indicated by a different symbol on the medallion. The statues were part of the Second Temple until the Rhenians tore it down during the razing of Jerusalem in 70 CE. After that they went missing. Our client retrieved ‘wealth’ from an archeological dig in Coromandel he sponsored in the 1950s. The Daedalean imperial dynasty somehow acquired ‘power’, and owned it until they were overthrown. The statuette eventually ended up in your museum. We are unaware of the whereabouts of the third one.”

“So what you’re saying is, someone’s collecting these statues,” Dragunov concluded. “It seems an awful lot of trouble to go through just for some antiques.” She paused, then admitted: “even if they came from the Temple.”

“That’s just it. The statues are believed to have…” Savage frowned and clearly weighed her words. “Let’s just say, ‘peculiar properties’. According to papyri discovered in the Coromandel dig they are supposed to be more than just stone. It describes them as a physical manifestation of God’s covenant with Solomon. And whoever possesses them shall possess God's gift to King Solomon.”

“That’s sacrilege,” growled Fomin.

“It’s preposterous, is what it is,” Aurora blurted out. “What, some statue makes you rich or powerful? Just like that? That’s not how the world works.”

Savage shrugged. “You don’t have to believe it, captain. My point is, some people do. And if there’s someone out there that genuinely believes these things are manifestations of god’s will -- well, that’s a motive for theft if ever I saw one.”

“I’m a Buddhist. None of this means anything to me,” Phani shrugged. “But presumably we’re going to try to retrieve these things? So, where are they?”

Savage gestured toward Dragunov. “Our ODC colleagues were good enough to furnish us with a picture of the man, or one of the persons anyway, involved in the theft from the People’s Museum.” The fuzzy picture of the man responsible for Olyena Timosheva’s death appeared. “In fact that is how their investigation first came to my attention. We have taken the liberty of enhancing this image,” a swipe. The pixelated still image suddenly turned into what looked like an HD photograph, “which some of our… associates,” she glanced at Kovacs, who practiced his blandest expression, “were helpful enough to run through… some of the databases they have access to.” Another swipe, and a new picture appeared, this time clearly taken by a security camera, looking down as the same man bought something at a kiosk. “This was taken two days ago at Atarot Airport in the Levant. He paid in cash. But he used the ‘Amaan Amorcito’ identity to book a room at the Bitter Lake Hotel. As far as we know that is where he is still.” She looked around the room. “Seems like a good place to start, yes?”

Dragunov nodded slowly as she mulled over what Savage had said, but even moreso over how on God’s earth those ‘contacts’ - whoever they were - had managed a trace like this. The UOCSR, she was unafraid to admit, was lagging behind in terms of the electronic revolution, and likewise the ODC’s capabilities in that field were limited. Even so Sacha Dragunov was pretty sure that using a single still image to find someone through a security camera on the other side of the world was a next level capability. It required data trawling and systems access on a scary, unprecedented scale. She thought about all those Pentex chips and Delta Dynamics software systems the UOCSR bought, eager to empower itself with 21st century technology, and her blood ran a little cold as she suddenly wondered if perhaps her nation had made a Faustian bargain without reading the fine print. Then she blinked and shook her head. That was a worry for another day. She was a mere lowly ranked member of the ODC and much of the organization was heavily compartmentalised. She steepled her fingers. “It seems prudent we go to Jerusalem and ask Mr. Amorcito some pointed questions.”

Savage looked pointedly at Aurora, who shrugged. “Hey, we didn’t come all this way just for a history lecture. And I’ve never been to Jerusalem. I hear it’s nice this time of year. So if you need us to come along and knock this fellow over the head for you, we’re game.” She frowned. “Although- I suppose if we want to make a quiet entrance the Southern Valkyrie might not be the way to go.”

Rainer Kovacs’ face split into a lazy grin. “Never you worry. I have just what we need.”
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Thunder Key | Angel Archipelago
1500 km north of San Dorado

Pyxis Worldwide Satellite News
Gemini Group posts positive results after succesful asteroid mining launch

After pouring about $1 billion nine years ago into Gemini Group, Helix Industries for the first time posted positive results for its subsidiary. Gemini Group has yielded a moderate $64 million profit this year, according to a person with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be named because the returns are not yet officially publicized. It is the first time the private spaceflight company is in the green.

According to the insider Gemini Group owes its modest profitability to the Global Surveyor partnership with Helix Highpoint and Acheron Interplanetary. Global Surveyor recently launched its fourth wave of inexpensive spacecraft, designed to rendezvous with and examine the resource value of a series of near Earth asteroids dubbed 'easily recoverable objects'.

Acheron and Helix plan to create a fuel depot in space by 2017 by using water from these asteroids, which could be broken down in space to liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen for rocket fuel. This could create the basis for a sustainable and profitable presence in space.

End goal of Global Surveyor is to mine asteroids for valuable metals such as gold, platinum and rhodium, and send them to Earth for profit.

To achieve this goal the two corporations intend to ramp up investment in space-based exploration in the coming years. Acheron has reserved $25 billion for the program up to 2018, "with the understanding that this amount will be matched by Helix".

Gemini Group expects its profits to grow as interest in space based industry develops in the near future.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Somewhere in the UOCSR

The old mechanic was working on the MiG-31T that had came for servicing. The MiG-31T was one of the hardest fighters to work on, because of its titanium alloy superstructure, mixed with carbon fiber and other high strength alloys. Along with its engines which represented the maximum of UOCSR engine technology of its time, the MACH 3 aircraft achieved its performance by sheer brute force and exotic materials, but the drawbacks were numerous. The engines needed regular overhauling, and the aircraft skin required regular inspections and maintenance. The MiG-41 was a much better aircraft but the MiG-31T was kept simply because of numbers were still important.

The mechanic grunted. It was just another day of work, and he could hardly complain really. Back in the days when the Daedalean Empire fell, he was amongst the many who were jobless and homeless, having served as one of many hundreds of thousands of riflemen charging and yelling “URAH!” at the top of their voices as they assailed various enemy strongpoints with rocket propelled grenade launchers, guns and whatever they could lay their hands on. The state needed to demobilize the majority of troops, but seeing how bad the job situation was, and how the other branches of the military was in dire need of manpower, many were offered the chance to put down the gun, and instead, enlist in the navy or air force. He chose to enlist in the air force and ended up as an aircraft mechanic servicing various planes ever since. The state in return provided food, water and shelter. For that, he was eternally thankful. When he met the love of his life and got married and had children, the state then gave him subsidies to ease his living costs in exchange for his continued service. It was a fair trade as one might say.

“Svoloch!” he swore. Some of the underpanels were dented and had to removed for replacement. That usually necessitated a day’s work. Oh whatever, he thought. Time to get started. Then he heard a loud roar of jet engines and turned around. A huge A-60 taxied on the runway and he noticed that the front end had been heavily modified with a huge bottle nose-like thing. The gargantuan aircraft lumbered on the taxi lanes and taxied onto the runway. Once in position, the pilots revved up the monster’s 4 engines and the aircraft rushed along the runway and soon gained lift and soared into the sky. Out of curiosity, the mechanic walked out of the hanger to watch the aircraft take off. Soon after, two Su-35M aircraft lined up on the runway and took off one after the other. The two aircraft took positions to the left and right of the A60.

The three aircraft circled around the airbase, and then suddenly a bright lance of light shot from the A60 and struck two trucks on the ground in rapid succession, igniting their fuel and setting them aflame. It then went on to do some more exotic tests, shooting down a number of incoming missiles flying midair.

The mechanic whistled. Then sensing that he was better off minding his own business, he turned around and returned to work. ‘So much to do, so much to do,” he whistled.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Another Day at the Border - Continued

“Yes, call up our good Spetsnaz Captain. I have a job for him.”

Captain Zubov Severinov and his Spetsnaz platoon advanced quietly out of their camouflaged hole and trudged silently through the thick cover of snow and foliage. The platoon wore their mountain warfare kit, which meant that anyone looking from down above would find it difficult to see them in the midst of all the snow covering the mountain side. Captain Severinov raised his infra-red binoculars and watched the advancing Khagarian infiltration unit. Despite the best efforts of the Khagarians and their use of special camouflaged netting that reduced their thermal signature, the IR binoculars were still sensitive enough to pick them out. The infiltration unit was some half a kilometer away, and advancing slowly through the ravine.

As Colonel Bazarin had predicted, the Khagarian unit would try to slip through the some 100 meters wide ravine, which rises slowly and peaks at the top and slowly slope down. Zubov had, along with Colonel Bazarin, guessed that the Khagarians were seeking to move in the general direction of the outpost and would then try to hike up the ravine and then head down the slope towards the outpost. Zubov then sent his men out through one of the many exit ports in the area that was connected to the outpost. He and his men emerged from a nearby port and quickly moved towards the top of the ravine. He then positioned his men on both sides of the ravine and just right below the peak. They then hid themselves in the thick foliage on both sides of the ravine and he periodically took out his binoculars to watch the incoming Khagarians.

Severinov spoke quietly to his microphone, “Vega, come in.”

A brief pause, and then, “Da, I read you, Elfan.”

“Do you see them?”

“Da, I do.”

“When they approach within 10 meters. Go for zing and bang. Use zaps. ”

“Da, I read you.”

It was long waiting, as the troops observed the incoming Khagarian soldiers slowly and surely walk across the terrain. But their Spetsnaz training taught them the virtues of patience, and Captain Zubov and his troops waited.

The Khagarians were soon within 50 meters of them, Zubov tapped his earpiece twice, signalling his men to get ready. The Khagarians stopped in their tracks. Almost as if they sensed they were not alone. They looked around cautiously but sensing no danger, they continued on.

When they were finally within range? Zubov tapped the eyepiece three times, and two of his men nearest the Khagarians rolled flash bang grenades right into the midst of the Khagarian troops. The Khagarians heard the rolling grenades and looked down, only in time to see the grenades exploding. Zubov and his men were wearing special earpieces which would prevent them from being afflicted by the sound, along with a pair of eye goggles to shield their eyes.

The Khagarians were utterly overwhelmed by the sound and they collapsed clutching their ears. “MOVE!” Zubov yelled and his men leaped out of their concealment and ran for the stunned Khagarians. They knocked out the Khagarians, and then restrained them. Carrying them on their backs, they raced for the portholes on both sides of the ravine, with barely much time to spare…
Kreia
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Office of the Admiralty, Naval Base Pearl Harbour, O’ahu, Kingdom of Hawai’i
Sometime in late March

“What exactly is that?”

“Rielly Naval Engineering sent it over with their RFP response.” The young Lt. Commander noted as he reached to open the large, thin package. “I wonder if they know that I need a new TV?”

“Oh I know what it is. Dr. Rielly always does this, or at least they always do this for government contracts. They commission a painting of their proposal. Shows a bit of class relative to the cheap and easy 3D renders most of the yards use. Well, let’s see it!”

The now un-packaged painting was turned around, and shown:

“Well, it certainly is interesting.”

“It’s almost a conventionally powered version of what Jiangnan is proposing.”

“Yeah, but Jiangnan’s proposal was totally closed, and RNE came up with this by themselves. Oh, that reminds me, we need to contact the Umerian Admiral Staff and request their participation in RIMPAC this year - the Admiralty has already put their proposal on the short list for some reason and wants to get a better look at their Perpetual-Spring class.”
Results:
1. The final response to the RFP comes in from a local Hawai’ian design firm.
Proposals from the various yards include:
San Dorado (Trimaran), Cascadia (BCGN), Comradestan (Undefined), Umeria (Two KDX-3s!), Jiangnan (CGVN), & Dalian (Super CGBLN+), Rielly Hawai’i (CVG), Rhenland (Arsenal Ship), Sinra (Burkes or CGBL).
2. The Umerian Navy is sent a last-minute invitation to RIMPAC 2014.
Last edited by TimothyC on 2014-09-18 08:46pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Written in collaboration with Fingolfin

Dashchoilin khiid | Black Horde Khanate
Kara Khitai Province, Southern Kagaria

The ceiling fan whirled lazily, blades of tired aluminum stirring the musky air. Second General Mengu Kitbuqa closed his eyes and tried to find some rest. He felt hot and distended as the Eukodol fought for primacy with the virulent substance coursing through his bloodstream.

Despite all his precautions someone got to him. He was sure this time it hadn’t been his food, or his drink. Maybe someone had powdered something over one of the files he touched, or breathed on him during yesterday’s inspection. All he knew was the sickness had come fast. For fevered, sweat-drenched hours he’d lain on the back seat of his staff car, foam on his mouth as his keshig rushed him back across unlit nocturnal mountain roads.

On the way he’d punched two syringes of adrenalin into his own heart just to keep it beating. Even then for what felt like an eternity he’d genuinely believed he wouldn’t make it, that this time they’d finally managed to kill him. When the car got back to the stronghold he’d been drenched in sweat, blacked out and hallucinating. His bodyguard told him he’d tried to strangle his personal physician even as the man pumped the miracle drug into his veins.

But he lived and what’s more, nine hours later he was already back to his feet, suffering only the familiar fevers as the drug purged his body of pathogens. Eukodol. Once again Kitbuqa wondered about those little phials of blue liquid. SinGen charged him a fortune for it, but their secret medicine had saved his life half a dozen times already. It made him appreciate Sinclair's people and their black helicopters all the more, even if the throbbing in his veins left him bad-tempered and impatient for the fevers to subside.

The monochrome imager set into Kitbuqa’s ancient fir wood desk flicked into life. The general scarcely suppressed a surge of unreasonable irritation at this sudden disruption of his restless train of thought, and forced a calm expression. It would not do for the second most powerful man in all of Kagaria to show the weakness of discomfort, especially not in the aftermath of what had to be the third serious attempt on his life this year. "Why do you disturb me?" he sharply demanded of the adjutant whose face filled the screen.

At least the man had the good fortune to flinch when the Left Hand of the Great Khan snapped at him. "A thousand apologies, General," he stammered. "But Colonel Kharbanda has notified us of an unfortunate event in his third district. According to him the infidel dogs from the south crossed the border and attacked one of his patrols. Faced with overwhelming numbers his troops were forced to disengage, but during the withdrawal the adversary kidnapped several of our soldiers.”

Great, insuppressible anger stirred inside Mengu Kitbuqa. "Insolence," he growled. "Can I not leave anything to anyone? I am surrounded by insolence and incompetence." He felt the fever blood pulsing through his veins, straining against his uniform collar. Kitbuqa's face turned an unnatural shade of red, and his adjutant cringed in barely suppressed panic.

Over his formidable forty-six year service to the Khanate Second General Kitbuqa had accumulated a long string of sobriquets. Some of them reflected his legendary martial prowess, but equally as many referred to his notoriously baleful wrath. He was the Scourge of the North, the Tester of Faith, the Mountain Scorpion. The fury of Mengu Kitbuqa, said whispers on both sides of the border, had burned cities to cinders. These whispers were not wrong.

"Tell Kharbanda to offer the southern weaklings a riposte - with his guns,” the general rumbled, his face twisted in a rictus of rage. "And then, for his ineptitude - tell him to report to me, to offer his sword!"

Kitbuqa slammed his fist on the notched, worn-down desk, cutting communication. Then he leaned back and closed his eyes. He loosened his sword-studded collar and banished his thoughts from fire and destruction to ice and endless, frozen tundra. Breathe in. Breathe out. Slowly, very slowly, he fought down the fever and the delirious, buzzing anger. His breath escaped in a pained grunt.

Mengu Kitbuqa knew he needed his head free of fire if he was to answer the adversary’s sudden renewed aggression and simultaneously work out who had tried to kill him. He opened the tiny silver briefcase in his desk drawer. Then he slid one of the blue phials inside it into a syringe pistol and began to roll up his left sleeve. He counted himself lucky he had just what he needed to strengthen his body and mind.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Kagaria shells UOCSR 'in retaliation for kidnapped soldiers'

Mobile artillery from the 59 Black Horde Border Army fired at UOCSR positions north of Smyert Tatarsky after their rivals allegedly kidnapped a group of Kagarian soldiers.

"So far over two hundred shells were fired into our territory," a spokesman for the UOCSR's northern military district said. The official refused to clarify whether any had hit military installations. He repudiated the kidnapping claim. “We have captured a number of Kagarian soldiers who crossed the border, no doubt to wreak havoc behind our lines."

Kagarian authorities in Kara Khitai Province forcefully denied this version of the incident, saying that mobile patrols do move around border areas but never leave Kagarian territory.

The mountainous border between the two nations has been a point of contention since times immemorial. In the aftermath of the bloody Four Swords War (1976 - 1981) Kagaria and the UOCSR established fortified positions in the Sogoi Range to back up their territorial claims.

The two countries remain technically at war, as fighting ended with a ceasefire, not a peace treaty. Both the UOCSR and Kagaria deploy thousands of troops along the passes and mountain ridges. But other parts of the border are extremely porous and criss-crossed by unofficial dirt tracks through crevasses and chasms that have for years been used by locals to travel between neighbouring villages.

Troops from both sides regularly exchange fire as they run into each other during patrols of these remote regions. As tensions flare up, so does this skirmishing. In the last decade alone, hundreds of soldiers on both sides have died in these intermittent gun battles.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Champan Security Council BUFFALO briefing.

“So Brigadier, before the mad king’s conference I asked for the threats to Champa to be assessed along with recommended responses. What have you for for me?”
Prime Minister Nakamara leant back in his chair. The eyes of the BUFFALO committee turned to the uniformed man at the end of the table. He was missing a finger, but carried a thick black folder of notes.

“Sir, we identify four main pressure systems that may result in stormy weather. In order of urgency I would rank them as Enviro-Mentalists, religious extremists, state sponsored actors and gnomes. In terms of sheer potential damage, the state sponsored actors lead the pack, but also represent the most interesting opportunities for us to present at the upcoming International Conference on Terrorism. I will now consider each pressure system in turn, to discuss the weather they may send us.

The environmentalist faction has only really emerged since the THOR-P3 incident. There was a lot of fear and anger among families who lost their land during evacuation. A large number of families near other nuclear power stations would glady see them closed down. This is unlikely to erupt in anything more complex then an angry mob but they provide a reserve of resources a militant wind could tap. This militant wind draws on the impressionable and idealistic volunteers here as part of foreign NGOs. At the moment three individuals with possible links to Avalanche are under loose surveillance and co-operation at the conference is recommended in these cases. Expected consquences from the rest of the movement is low – aggressive protests at nuclear sites or the new railway will entail a certain cost economically and might justify training police units. If the snorkel rice trials go public, some security will be needed for the trial sites and potentially for the scientists involved.

The religious faction is newer yet and still highly disorganized. The rumours spreading of a Rhenian deal has shaken the priests of that sect. We would like to seed a few agitator groups ourselves to attract hot-heads and divert them to less harmful positions, such as jail. Pressure will be applied to the church leaders to support the deal with theological argument. As well as reassuring moderates we hope to flush out the more extreme Sadhirs. Again, the bulk of the risk lies with protests, riots and attacks on Rhenian visitors. We can expect poaching and are instituting a generous compensation/conversion scheme to take as many whaling ships off the sea as possible. Other measures, such as a Rhenian funded museum of whaling are intended to help shift public opinion which reduces the storm’s energy. Politically, you gentlemen will have your own wars to fight. We might see a new right wing religious party try to capitalise on the unrest. Two high consequence but low risk winds will be Champan Religious terror in Rheinland which could imperil the worker program. The other is of religious breakway’s suborning an army unit. Conscription and apathy are useful brakes on that. Still, we’ll be watching.

State sponsored terrorism concern’s us greatly. You recall San Doradan mercenaries were operating in Champa during the THOR-P3 incident, and we suspect the recent chaos in Cali was more of the same.”
One of the ministers snorted. The brigadier looked at him over steel rim glasses before continuing.
“ Large scale physical incursions can be considered within the remit of the armed forces: Vedic Piracy as one example. Smaller ‘smash and grab’ projects require us to develop and maintain the ability to rapidly deploy defence forces or maintain a huge level of national security at all locations. It’s as expensive and impractical as a battleship defence fleet. The real risk comes in attack on intangible assets – electronic currency, contracts, research or digital controls on infrastructure. THOR-P3 is one potential example, the sluice gates another, the railways a third. San Dorado has the best mercenaries. At this time, it is the only entity offering high level electronic mercenaries. I would like permission to hire a group and start an electronic warfare and data handling branch. The Air corps drone research unit are doing well and could provide capable officers with some technical ability. There is a non-negligible risk a series of state sponsored attacks might proceed a full invasion but apart from Hakistan such an all out attack is highly unlikely in the short term. Some of the countries to the North might try and stir unrest, and there is the blurred line between organised crime and some authorities, but those are beyond the remit of a Terrorism discussion.

The final storm, the gnomes, might also be called the egotists. These are the lone actors, convinced of their superiority but isolated socially. They’ve always been a low level threat, suicidal shootings, homemade bombs, computer viruses, that sort of thing. They tend to be ideologically driven, but it thought the ideology is a crutch, if they didn’t believe in that, they would have found something else to express their frustration. It is anticipated this decade will see the first major damage from a squall. The exact form this will take depends on the direction technology runs ahead of us but is likely to be viral, genetic or electronic, in nature. Conscription again allows us to identify most of the characters with potential on this avenue. Human contact resolves some of them and we hire many of the others. Still, as this storm system is the least predictable and least connected, we anticipate a few will get through.

The concludes the briefing gentlemen. We hope to have some interesting test results for you to present at the conference on the new HIVE system."
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Drug war violence spreads into Medellin

AGAHUXTILA, MEDELLIN FREE STATE - The city of Agahuxtila was rocked by explosions yesterday as the La Estacado drug cartel blew up the local police headquarters following the arrest of a cartel lieutenant on behest of the dominant Castor cartel's government in Agahuxtila. At least twenty police officers are believed to be dead from the blast.

Gunfire was later heard outside of the mayor's palace near the center of the town. Unconfirmed reports state that Mayor Juan del Rio was wounded by cartel gunfire. Del Rio, a known associate of the Castor cartel, has ensured that cartel's control of the city's vital railway to Los Rivas on the Chaco River.

Experts fear that the growing violence will destabilize the delicate political balance of Medellin, where descendants of Granadian settlers dominate in the south and in the great cities while native tribes control large sections of the northern provinces, where the cartels grow the opium and coco plants that form the basis of many illicit substances. "If the violence spreads to the north, the delicate peace between the native tribes and the cartels could fail," warned Professor Gabriel Martin of the University of Sonora, an expert on the countries of the former Granadian empire. "Civil war will be the result, and it could spread into Chilitina and the Pampas."
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Admiralty Gets Serious

Post by Simon_Jester »

Offices of the Admiral Staff
Mar. 27, 2014

Fleet Admiral Strong-Pillar Vocalist rose and saluted the man walking into his office. "Marshal Plow! Good to see you, sir; how's the granddaughters?"

Plow chuckled. "Columbine is upset that Jasmine tried to eat her favorite book."

"...She didn't succeed, surely?"

"Only the corners. I don't think she really needs a new copy of The Little Steam-Dredger That Would, though; it'll help her remember why babyishness is wrong. Luckily, Industriousness agrees with me, and Buttercup is coming around."

"Point."

"Anyhow, that's not why I'm here."

"Lothal?"

"Yes. It isn't quite our back pasture, but it's right across the fence. The piracy is a menace, and the more trade we have with the Vedics the worse it gets. It needs tackling."

"I'd figured, after the Ecks incident."

"The Committee on Foreign Affairs hasn't made up their minds what to do yet, but the Foreign Ministry's contacting the Lothali government, such as it is. I want you to talk to your Lothal desk and pick targets for priority reconnaissance. My people are going to be doing Comet overflights. Some of those corsairs are better armed than our customs patrol; the munitions and the men have to be basing somewhere."

"We already have some information, but "if you look for trouble, have a better map than it does." What's the image quality we're looking at?"

"The latest cameras are pretty good. If you don't want Strategic Reconnaissance knowing what you had for breakfast, don't eat in front of a window."

"True. Except... they have, what, twenty-four planes? How many can you spare?"

"For the short term, eight of twenty-two; we're doubling up at Lighthill Air Force Base, and the tankers don't have that much better to do this month."

"Twenty-two..."

"We're working on that; I'm tired of it all being old warhorses in new harness too. It really shouldn't be that hard to build a Comet-D airframe and fit it for reconnaissance, but the engineers keep groaning."

"Right. Shall I get... Violet Crown and her group tipped off and ready?"

"Let's do. They'd be the logical choice; it's not like we're going to have the mother of all battles punching into the Lothali air defense network and coastal defenses."

"Lothali. Coastal defense."

"I know, I know." Plow chuckled. "We're more likely to have trouble from the weather than from the enemy."

"Lothali weather is enemy action, sir. It's like the North Cape without the breakwaters."

"Well, that side of the operation is your specialty, so I'm sure the Navy has it in hand. It could be worse; we could be asking the Army to do it."

"..."

"Sorry, that wasn't funny."

"Sir, an Army-run amphibious operation is like a vegetarian-run grilling party."

"There's some very good vegetarian skewer recipes out there. Or so I'm told."

"My brother tells me so too. Often. Usually just before a grilling party."

"I didn't know your brother was a vegetarian."

"To be fair, I have never met a man who knows more about beans. Including agronomists. And I like beans."

"Anyway, I heard about the invitation to the Hawaiians' exercise."

"Yes."

"You remember the last meeting of the Staffs; it's time to stop looking entirely silly. Shrike, Skylark, Sunbird... which of the three carrier groups has the sneakiest commander?"

"Hmm... That would almost have to be Skylark. The ship is old in practice, and Crane... almost a young man, still, but old in guile. His flag captain's worse."

"Good... Perhaps we'll send them on a Hawaiian vacation, then. Set up what you need, get the group as ready as you can. I can make the budgeting work out for this."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Escalation
Written with Siege

“Well, the Khagarian heretics were certainly prompt with their shelling,” Lieutenant Colonel Zveda Bazarin muttered. He and Major Lupin Ephraim were both in the command center monitoring the shelling. This deep underground, the artillery fire was only a dull rumbling.

“Indeed Comrade Colonel, and they seem to have lots of ammunition stocks to spare,” Major Lupin Ephraim commented dryly.

“They certainly do, enough to shake up the entire mountain range. How goes the prisoner--”
The entire bunker shook suddenly with great force, causing them to stagger on their feet. Dust fell from the ceiling. “--- interrogation?”

“They seem to be rather down. The shock of capture seems to have hit them rather hard and they have been… rather loose with their tongues?”

“Serves the heretics right. How is the rest of the bunker integrity holding up---?” Another big explosion shook the entire bunker. The bunker was buried deep in the mountains, about a kilometer underground, but the Khagarians were using some of their heaviest artillery shells, which were simply shattering the mountain peaks and causing countless avalanches.

“Most of the bunker is fine. We however lost a number of our entry ways around the mountain, either because the shelling buried the holes, or a lucky shot managed to break the portway mechanism.”

“Some of our drones are still flying. The Khagarians have wheeled at least two railway guns into position. We haven’t seen those-” Another explosion occurred. “- in years. I am guessing the explosions that are shaking us this deep originate from those guns.”

“Their Great Beast of Guns? That’s a spectacle. They really must be angry at us if they bring those monsters out. Good thing we are deep underground. Are they shooting at our drones?”

“They have left our high altitude stealth drones alone so far, no clue if that is because they don’t see them, because they can’t reach them or because they simply don’t care. We’ve lost some of our smaller drones to anti-aircraft fire. ”

“Mid East-North Military District command has yet to be given authorisation to act against the Khagarian aggression. I suspect they will act, this aggression cannot go unanswered, but they are calculating how far they should go in the escalation.”

“They are afraid of a war?”

“I doubt it. The UOCSR isn’t some weak babe like during the foul carcass of the Daedalean Empire. The Khagarian heretics will taste our steel if need be.”

-------------------------------------------------

MidEast North Military District has not been idle, Marshal Konstantin Faltov, commander of the District, had been mobilizing all the army divisions under his command, and readying the Air Force units allocated to his command and ordered drones to commence high altitude reconnaissance flights over Khagarian territory. He issued orders to one of his army divisions to approach the Sogoi mountain range with the intent of returning counterbattery fire on Khagarian artillery.

Those orders were issued to the 6th Guards Motor Rifle Division, which begun mobilizing its own artillery with the intent of returning fire. Tanks, Artillery and Armored Infantry vehicles rolled to their dispersion points and begun to receive target telemetry from overhead drones. General Mikhail Rozhov informed Marshal Konstantin Faltov that his division was ready. Faltov then gave the order to open counter-battery fire with artillery rounds first. The UOCSR artillery was to fall deliberately short, and then ‘walk’ onto the Kagarian mobile artillery positions, forcing the adversaries’ howitzers to either stop shooting and scoot or face destruction.

The 6th Guards Motor Rifle Division was equipped with a wide variety of artillery systems. In his enthusiasm to respond to the Kagarian aggression however Rozhov would subsequently ‘forget’ to inform his battery commanders to restrict themselves to their 152mm and 203mm howitzers. As a result, at 6:18 local time six Mikhail-M rocket artillery systems belonging to 6th Guards over the course of 44 seconds each put 12 HE rockets downrange.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Hundreds die in communist rocket attack

UOCSR military rockets hit a Kagarian railway yard today, killing at least 242 people and injuring an estimated 230 more. Approximately half of the wounded and killed were civilians. The yard under attack is located near Dalanzagad in the densely-populated Orkhon valley, 60 kilometers north of the border.

Authorities of Kara Khitai Province issued a stern statement placing the blame for the attack on the UOCSR military. "Last night, children were killed as they slept next to their parents. This is an affront to all of us, a source of universal shame. Today Kagaria stands disgraced."

In a short televised statement Second General Mengu Kitbuqa, warlord of the Black Horde Khanate vowed "bloody revenge" for the massacre. "No hole will be deep enough that it will shelter the communist dogs from our terrible anger."

A spokesperson for the UOCSR MidEast North Military District defended the attack saying that the target was a Kagarian railway gun stationed in the Dalanzagad yard. According to the official the 6th Guards Motor Rifle Division had "opened fire in retaliation for indiscriminate Kagarian artillery fire".

"The UOCSR has shown great restraint in dealing with the barbarian aggression," the official quoted a statement by Marshal Konstantin Faltov. "We have our concrete and our faith to shield us, but nonetheless I feel obligated to explain how Kagarian artillery fire can be both dangerous and lethal."

Over the last eight days Kagarian artillery rained thousands of high-explosive shells onto the UOCSR territory as a reprisal for the abduction of a number of Kagarian soldiers. According to the UOCSR the shelling "may have caused numerous civilian fatalities". The Kagarians dispute this, saying they target UOCSR military installations as a means to compel the return of the captives.

Military analyst and former Knight Errant commander Colonel (ret.) Starik Blackfyre said in an interview with Pyxis News that the UOCSR strike "has the hallmarks of impatience". "Rocket artillery is capable of very destructive strikes by delivering a large mass of explosives simultaneously. It is not an accurate or precise tool. If the UOCSR really only wanted to remove a railway gun they could have done it with a cruise missile. By killing hundreds of Kagarian soldiers and civilians they are sending a message: back off, because there's more where this came from."

Instead there are signs that the attack may have only served to further inflame tensions. The Black Horde Khanate has ordered troops throughout the south to go to high readiness, and unverified reports from central Kagaria speak of military trains carrying SS-19 Subutai mobile SRBM launchers heading south from Mandalgovi.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ferramentagrad, United Orthodox Catholic Socialist Republics
Army Staff Headquarters
Foreign Liaison Office

The clerk looked up, peering from under an entirely unnecessary green eyeshade at the trim, slender woman wearing the insignia of a captain in the Umerian Army. Her name-tag read... Heather Swift-Running.

"And how may I help you, ma'am?"

The Umerian smiled slightly, then spoke with the slightly stilted tones of a woman who'd learned the language out of a schoolbook and hadn't quite gotten the hang of informal use yet. "Hello. I am to be attached to the office of the Umerian military attaché. Your Sixth Guards Motor Rifle Division is fighting in an artillery duel with the Black Horde. I am Senior Field Officer Tall's senior artillery officer. I am under orders to observe. Here are my papers. I request to go north on available transportation. If that is not possible, our office will make other arrangements, if that is rightly permitted." The captain nodded politely and unnecessarily, looking hopeful.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Vector Red | Covert SinGen Facility
Unclaimed territory, East of La Vela

“Through here ma’am, if you please.”

Stiletto heels marched click-click-clicking across the polished floor of black basalt concrete, pursued by the deadened march of rubber-soled combat boots. A small group of people marched through the sterile laboratory corridors. Five of the men were mercenaries dressed in full combat order: black fatigues and body armor, assault carbines and bulging, insect-like face masks. The sixth was a small, nondescript man in a lab coat, his brown hair slicked back against his skull, who lead the way. The last was no man at all.

Sheva Sinclair possessed the kind of beauty that ended friendships and started wars. Big emerald eyes looked out a lovely heart-shaped face. Her skin was smooth and white as snow. She had red hair. Not cinnamon or copper, but a deep, scorching crimson that tumbled in thick, lazy curls onto her shoulders. Her full strawberry red lips were drawn in a perpetual sly, lopsided smile. She wore a black dress that emphasized her curves in ways so effortlessly sensual it would make glamour models weep with envy.

But the small group was a long way from the bewitching scintillation of downtown San Dorado, and Sinclair’s ritzy presence looked as incongruous here as a priest in a whorehouse. Stark fluorescent lights banished every shadow in the corridor. Biohazard signs were everywhere. The rooms on the sides were walled off with gunmetal gray steel and bullet-proof safety glass. Inside men and women dressed in sealed chemsuits worked with complex stainless steel machinery and vials of colored liquids, their movements slow and reverent as if to indicate that to spill at the wrong time could forfeit their lives.

The nondescript man hurried to the end of the corridor and waved a security card in front of a vaulting safety door. It rumbled open just in time for the small group not to have to break their stride. Behind the ten inch door was a small room that looked like a hybrid between an airlock and a bank vault. Its ceiling was a solid square of white light; its walls were made of cold rivetless steel, featureless except for a flush-mounted security system that featured a keypad, card slot, palm- and iris scanners and, most worryingly, what looked like a needle-like blood sampler.

“Just a moment,” the short man said, his voice pleading. His hands shook a little as he entered his security card into the machine and entered a string of numbers. Then put his hand to the palm scanner. A light on the security system flashed red. “Access denied,” spoke a machine voice. The man cringed a little, half-turned, then decided not to look at Sinclair after all. “I’m sorry,” he stumbled and wiped his hands on his labcoat. He repeated the ritual, blinked a half dozen times in quick succession and lowered his eye in front of the retinal scanner. Again the light flashed red. “Access denied.” Sweat beaded on his forehead. “I’m- Ah, this part is sometimes-”

Sinclair’s eyebrow twitched microscopically in a portent of a glare. The reaction was immediate. One of the mercenaries grabbed the man by the shoulder and forcefully man-handled him against the ash iron back wall. “Check him,” said the commando, his voice a weirdly stifled grunt behind his mask. One mercenary pushed a syringe into the scientist’s neck. The man gasped in pain as the others soldiers pointed their guns at him. The needle drew a tiny amount of bright red blood. “He’s clear.”

Sinclair appeared to ignore him, the edges of her lips curved downward in a mixture of boredom and aggravation as if the sudden violence was beneath her. She purposefully stepped past the soldiers, bent ever so slightly toward the microphone and huskily said, “the ash of the world.”

”Override accepted,” the machine promptly replied. “Welcome, director Sinclair.”

The security door closed abruptly and the bottom seemed to drop out of their stomachs as the elevator started a sudden 200 meter fall into the bowels of the earth. Air scrubbers hissed and their ears popped with negative pressure. Mechanical locks released with a clunk. Airlocks hissed as hydraulics parted the thick slabs of steel.

The sight beyond was eerily similar to the one the small group had been in before. Once more there were bright lights, concrete and steel. But this time a one way mirrored window offered a view of what looked like a sterile operating theater. Cylinders of oxygen and other more exotic gases lined the far wall. Complex automated surgical machinery hung gleaming from the ceiling. Bright lights were angled onto a central raised table in the center of the room. Tubes from an anesthesia machine hooked surgically into the windpipe of the patient strapped to that table. Despite this he squirmed and trashed against his restraints. Pulse oximeters, automated blood pressure measuring machines and electrodes fitted to the patient’s head and chest displayed his vital signs on uncaring video screens.

According to those screens he should be dead. His heart rate, ECG and EEG were all well into what would be lethal territory for any human. And yet he lived. But that wasn’t the most disturbing thing.

What was, was that his skin rippled and shifted like his flesh was water - if water had a mind of its own, that could shift between faces in revoltingly unnatural ripples of skin and sinew. One moment there was a face, the next there were three, morphed onto a single skull in sickeningly inhuman caricatures of humanity.

“A-as you can see,” the nondescript man gulped at the sight, “it- well, it’s still unstable, but at least some of the time it looks and sounds and acts just like Bennings.” He rubbed his neck where the mercenary jabbed the needle in. “It’s a marked improvement over our earlier efforts. The thing you dug up from the ice, well, it allowed us to fill up some of the markers left by the Sankara sample. That just- as you know, it gets thawed out, wakes up - probably not the best of moods, it's weird and pissed off and it’s all kinds of awful.” He took a deep breath. “Before, we were aware there was cellular activity even in burned remains, but we didn't quite know what the hell was going on. Now though,” he pointed at the man on the surgical table, “well, we're obviously not there yet, but the structure of the second sample... It gave us, ah, ideas. Our latest sequences, they're more controllled, you know? It now bonds with the host, more or less. Stays mostly in one shape. It’s more human, for lack of a better word.”

“There now,” murmured Sinclair, her voice intrigued, her eyes transfixed on the shifting and changing flesh of the writhing man strapped to the surgical table. “I knew I was right to hire you after all, Doctor Renner. Tell me- It’s an imitation, a perfect imitation. That’s all I want. That’s all I need.” Her voice shifted, became hungry and attentive. “What does it want? Does it speak?”

Renner let out an frozen gasp. “I don't know. I- maybe. Sometimes it talks. But it's different than us, see? It's from outer space. What do you want from me? Ask him!”

“Maybe,” Sinclair allowed, a macabre smile on her face. Renner suddenly felt leather-gloved mercenaries grab his shoulders. “Or maybe I will just ask you.”
Last edited by Siege on 2014-09-23 01:17pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The Minister of Intelligence addressed Minister Lock, who was seated on the other side of his desk.

"To sum it up, our people on the ground as well as our other sources indicate that Stormbrink probably isn't behind the incidents in question in Cali. However, we can't rule out their involvement or the involvement of another San Dorado company. Accordingly, I'm requesting additional funding to increase surveillance of San Dorado's mercenary forces and major corporations."

Minister Lock nodded.

"I'll back your request before the President and the Senate. I'm very pleased by the work of your personnel."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: 2014 STGOD Waterville Institute

Post by Simon_Jester »

Waterville Institute for Advanced Logic
Four-River-Districts Province
Monastery on a Mountaintop

Master Green walked at an unhurried yet efficient pace. Any tics of habit, any fingers running along his clean-shaven brow or equally shaven scalp, any fingering of the knots in his belt that denoted three advanced university degrees in semantics, nonlinear control theory, and neurobiology, had long since been suppressed, in a man given over unto the clear, perceptive essence of mind.

His pupils were waiting, seated on the floor in a posture of attention, facial language suggesting that they were mentally drilling in the patterns of reception and recollection. The master smiled slightly and noted Camilla, on the far left, begin to shift her legs into the mirror version of the posture.

A quick scan of his eye showed that the new incandescents had a more suitable, concentration-bolstering glow than the fluorescents some impudent clerk had tried to foist off on the monastery. The floor was, of course, spotless; the stone room might need new treatment soon to preserve the proper ambiance, though. A small matter, but he ran through a few sentences in his head, composing a note to thank the maintenance staff for replacing the lights and request that attention be paid to the walls in particular; they had to be handled with care in their seventh century. One must ensure a proper tone... switch the third and second sentences...

Camilla finished shifting her feet.

Master Green locked the paragraph in his memory. "Greetings, students. Let us close the circle. These two months, you have come to me asking that I be your guide along the path of mentation. But be warned, to learn its ways, you must learn the way of your own soul."

Pittman, the foreigner, stirred slightly.

"We have taught you to control your own inner sources of information, your own state. We have taught you awareness of external sources. We have taught you the subtleties of logic and language- in all respects your nayana is finely honed and resilient, or you would not be seated in this room. But... for what?"

Pittman twitched a finger, and the master nodded slightly. "To purify our reason and consciousness, master, to free logic from ego- it is by will alone that I set my mind in motion."

"To sharpen the eye of the mind, the ear of the mind?"

"...You might say so, master?"

The master chuckled. "A dutiful answer, but think harder. Remember your studies- cybernetic theory. You, your essential spirit, is a whirl of feedback in a sea of information. The sea is vast, the sea is a plenum. How, then, can you fail to find 'enough?' The precise nature of the eye does not matter; the seeing-process matters. The precise nature of the ear does not matter; the hearing-process matters.

Open the inner eye. Abnegate and unfocus yourself. Take in all, without prejudice, without ego. See the pattern, always the pattern. Then, within yourselves, bring the mind into focus, according to the teachings. Know the pattern, and know focus, and you will find the missing piece.

Meditate on these words."

The master watched his students shift into a ritualistic posture of contemplation, in which the body lay relaxed, yet alert. The whisper of breathing grew controlled and regularized. He waited, himself in a standing posture of restfulness, waiting until the moment felt- right.

"The illustrious being can know the nature of a man from his first words. The enlightened being can attune their senses and speak of a man's habits from only his footprints, or the smell of his clothes. The being that focuses and unfocuses at will can see the ocean of calculations and bespeak the truth. The illustrious being can know an impostor. The enlightened being can find the guilty. The being that focuses and unfocuses at will can predict the course of empires.

Meditate on the end state of the developed mind."

Again the pause, the contemplation, the internalization of the teaching. The master permitted himself the slightest of smiles, while no one was looking. Again the wait, for the moment he judged by the sound of breaths- now.

"Now, one by one, within yourselves, perform the exercise. Behold the photograph of the child's room, and tell me: one and only one of these things is out of the appointed place. Which one?"

Eight pupils stared at the photograph for a long minute, then nodded to themselves. The master moved among them, taking in the whispers. He smiled. Five out of eight. On the first try, no less, and in his opinion the upside-down pillow was quite subtle compared to the toys on the floor, exactly where his niece wanted them.

And for Camellia it was the third first-try success in a row in such exercises; it was time that she be tested to advance to the next rank.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

33rd Artillery Regiment | Darkhad Valley
Sogoi Mountains, Southern Kagaria

The throaty roar of diesel engines rang against the living rock of the crevasse, smearing the growling echoes into a single ominous drone. Heavy grooved tires ground idyllic mountain snow into muddy sludge. Fir twigs bent and snapped. One after another the heavy 8x8 artillery trucks rumbled through the narrow gap between the steep stone walls, straining to pull across the rough and uneven terrain. Oddly angled shadows fell across the ground, cast down by the jagged granite precipes of the Sogoi Mountains. Sharp vertical ridges scarred with mineral veins rose left and right, falling away abruptly at some points, nearly fully enclosing the fissure at others. The 33rd made good progress, advancing up the gorge at a fair clip.

Cut by the meltwater from a long-gone glacier this winding channel offered passage through what at first glance appeared a solid, insurmountable cliff face, into Darkhad Valley. An arid basaltic plateau high up in the Sogoi Range, Darkhad Valley lay above communist positions in the surrounding mountains and had served as a Kagarian staging ground for raids into the northern UOCSR during the Four Swords War. Its demilitarization had been a key part of the '81 armistice, and the adversary no doubt kept a close eye on all its entryways.

All its known entryways, anyway.

This particular passage had been discovered only a handful of years ago by a particularly adventurous prospector. A fortuitous accident, because at this altitude the mountains were very sparsely populated, the terrain was harsh and the weather utterly unforgiving. Kagarian military planners, always eager to find new ways to evade the gaze of communist spy dones, were overjoyed by the find. Black Horde engineers had labored under cover of weather and darkness and under difficult and hazardous circumstances to convert the crevasse into a covert entry into Darkhad Valley.

Now the time had come for the Khan’s men to profit from their hard work. In the early morning the 33rd's pathfinders had driven their heavy military motorbikes up the rocky pass and reported the way clear and free of prying enemy eyes. Three hours later the regimental commander received the go order from Dashchoilin khiid, the headquarters of Second General Kitbuqa himself. Now his trucks burst from a crack in the mountain face craftily hidden by pines, shrubs and camouflage netting.

They were greeted by the sight of half a dozen IMZ-Tabun motorcycles parked under a rocky overhang. The Tabuns were heavy 750cc bikes with fat tires, dusty and painted in gray-green camouflage. Some of them had sidecars fitted with machineguns and loaded high with jerrycans, ammo boxes and other supplies. Soldiers milled about them, rough and tumble men with leathery skins and impressive black mustaches. They wore drab camouflaged anoraks weatherproofed against the cold mountain air. Their breath escaped in puffs as they laughed and chewed tobacco.

The outriders were the original Kagarians, direct descendants of the horsemen from the Sogoi foothills who in ages past had harried the Daedalean Empire, raiding and plundering as far south as Daedalopolis. They had since switched their horses for motorcycles, but little else about them had changed. Rugged and unruly even by Kagarian standards, they greeted the heavy trucks with cheers and mock salutes. They clearly felt at home in the mountains, and they looked very relaxed for men who were about to become the vanguard for the continent's first missile war in decades.

The first 8x8 made a sharp turn and with a hiss of braking hydraulics came to a sudden halt. The leader of the pathfinders, a wiry man with crooked legs and faded captain's swords on his epaulettes, waved cheerily to the major in the truck as he walked over. The two men conversed in hushed tones. The outrider drew a worn map from one of his uniform's many pockets and pointed at a number of circles drawn on it in gray pencil. More and more trucks rumbled onto the flats. The artillery major nodded as the captain outlined the positions his men had scouted out.

Finally the pathfinder handed the map over, gave a quick salute, turned around and shouted something at his men. The scouts cheered and fired up their bikes, and with shouts of "yavyaa! Yavyaa!" tore off into the valley, one of them pulling a wheelie as he went. The major watched them go, shook his head and switched on his short-wave radio. After exchanging a few terse bursts of communication with his men the engines of the artillery trucks rumbled to life again, pulling into Darkhad Valley and their hidden dispersion points. There they would point their SS-19 Subutai SRBMs at the heavens, and wait for Mengu Kitbuqa's order to fire.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Explosions illuminate the skies of Smyert Tatarsky

MISSILES RAIN DEATH ON UOCSR

Thousands are dead today as Kagaria struck a terrible blow to its southern neighbor. In what is the deadliest day since the end of the Four Swords War, the Khanate launched a surprise attack of dozens of ballistic missiles at military and civilian targets in the UOCSR, prompting fears that the border conflict may be spiraling out of control.

Dozens of Subutai missiles devastated neighborhoods across Smyert Tatarsky and Zelenogradsk, unleashing a storm of death that flattened entire neighborhoods, setting both cities ablaze and leaving eight hundred people confirmed dead so far. Authorities warn that the death toll is sure to rise very quickly, with thousand of fatalities considered “very likely”.

“The whole neighborhood’s gone. The wall of my fireplace is all that is left of my house,” said a survivor, speaking by cellphone from the city of Zelenogradsk. “I heard the siren. My daughter was already in the basement, so I ran downstairs and grabbed her, crouched in the farthest corner and prayed. Suddenly it felt like the world turned upside down. The earth shook so hard it was impossible to stand, and the noise was unbearable. When I regained my senses I could see daylight up the stairway and my house was gone.”

With communications difficult, many roads impassable and the UOCSR military locking down the border region the full scope of the attack remains unclear. A spokesman for the defense ministry said anti-missile defense batteries brought down multiple Kagarian missiles near Smyert Tatarsky. But according to Pyxis News crews on the ground in the hard-hit area, the defenses clearly were clearly insufficient.

"We could see the flashes that ripped apart the city -- flash, then nothing, and only then would we hear the explosion,” Pyxis war correspondent Sascha Herzog reports. “We could see -- missiles streak in and explode in balls of flame. Fire washing down the streets. Unbelievable destruction, entire city blocks gone in an instant. Houses and cars piled on top of each other.”

Herzog reports seeing three S-300 missiles fired shortly before explosions echoed through the city. “Communist troops scrambled into gas masks and protective suits as warning sirens sounded and soldiers shouted ‘gas, gas, gas’. We sheltered in bunkers and waited for confirmation that the attack had been conventional.”

“Over half a million people live here, these are densely packed valley cities. Entire neighborhoods have vanished. There are fires everywhere. The military has imposed a curfew and martial law. And everyone knows there could be more of these things coming. It's unreal. Fifteen years in war zones all over the world and I’ve never seen anything like this.”

"Today we repay blood with blood and fire with fire," read a brief statement released by the office of warlord Mengu Kitbuqa of the Black Horde Khanate. “We strike down and kill those who threaten Kagaria in the name of the great Khidr Khan.” It is the first time since fighting erupted that the Black Horde invokes the name of the Great Khan, a culturally significant sign that may indicate Kitbuqa’s actions have the blessing and support of the Kagarian supreme ruler.

The Subutai ballistic missile has a range of over four hundred kilometers. It can carry either a conventional high-explosive or a chemical warhead. During the later stages of the Four Swords War Kagaria fired an early version of this missile in massed volleys against urban areas, to great psychological effect. More recent versions have greater range, and are fitted with a TV camera guidance system for greater accuracy.