Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: 2014 STGOD Story Thread I

Post by Siege »

Hayk-Aram Staging Grounds | Paradise City
Kingdom of Orion

Drinks in hand, the VIPs in the observation room had walked over to an impressive stack of equipment lined up in a corner of the room. "This is the interface end of the Pandora Electronic Warfare system," Charlie Saint explained. She pointed to one of the flatscreens. "This digital signal analyzer handles signals spanning from commercial wireless in the millimeter wave and 802.11ad space through radar and electronic warfare to field applications like spectrum management and interference hunting. That makes it a good fit for commercial, military, government or regulatory purposes." She pointed a thumb at the ceiling. "The signal view software gets its input through a hardened connection from the antennas on the roof, enabling us to correlate through time and frequency domains."

Saint produced a tiny walkie-talkie. "Fire it up!" Almost immediately, oscillating and overlapping waveforms appeared on the screens as various radar systems set up around the staging grounds came online. "What you're seeing now is real-time spectrum analysis. We're looking at multi radar impulses here. This particular version of Pandora has capability up to 30 gigasamples per second, bandwith up to 30 gigaherz and analog bandwith up to 25 gigaherz. So we have great capability and as you can see with the software we're running on the oscilloscope we can analyze the actual characteristics of these different radar pulses within one display, and pick which signal we want to respond to..."

Saint went on to smoothly present Pandora's various EW and counter-EW capabilities and its potential when unified with Helix' ThirdEye Combat System, pausing occasionally to explain the highly technical jargon. After a description of the bewildering variety of subsystems that could be hooked into Helix' EW suite the presentation culminated in a succesful deflection of a guided stand-off missile of a type used by the Orion armed forces, by using Pandora in conjunction with the pencil beam capabilities of ThirdEye's STU-RT phased array antenna.

Result: Technobumbling. Helix shows its electronic warfare systems, which I honestly know nothing about, so all of this is really just flavour.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

"Impressive indeed. Tell me, could this system be mounted on an airborne platform, used in conjunction with our E-767's? Or indeed upon warships to improve active defences against missile attack?"

Result:

The King asks more techno-questions about mounting this system on ships and planes.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Saint swirled her gin and tonic as she considered that question. "It can," she weighed. "And indeed it has. Pandora has been succesfully installed in our Chiron and Remora jets, and a stripped-down version can be run from a Manticore VTOL. Elements were also sold to the UOCSR for use in its Antonov EWAR aircraft, although I can't comment on the details - customer confidentiality, I'm sure you understand and appreciate."

"Having said that, the demonstration you witnessed used a combination of Pandora, the electronic warfare component, with the ThirdEye integrated combat command and control system. Pandora was designed to be compatible with different battle management systems, but depending on your exact needs and demands, as well as the exact software and hardware used by your armed forces, it may take some systems engineering to bring about the desired solution."

She paused briefly. "Or we could just sell you ThirdEye along with whatever else you want to buy. That would work too. Word on the, uh, street is that you're in the market for new ships: we'd be happy to provide whatever computer and radar technology you need."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Portland Gazette

Secretary of Treasury Black Elk addresses protest from AxumFinans bank workers

PORTLAND FEDERAL DISTRICT - Facing three thousand protesting bank employees, Treasury Secretary Peter Black Elk spoke on the Bank Reform Bill of 2014 and the effect it would have on AxumFinans-owned Deacon Santeria. "The law has to be enforced equally, even with companies that did not contribute to the recession," the Secretary stated. "But bank regulators will work with Deacon Santeria to ensure a smooth transition to accommodate the new requirements."

"You're risking our jobs over politics!", one voice replied from the mass, which carried signs accusing the government of undermining the financial sector and free enterprise.

Despite the angry crowd, Secretary Black Elk was calm and measured in replies to various questions and remarks. "I understand you're worried. A lot of people will have to adjust, but these are efforts to make our financial sector more robust in light of previous mistakes. The record of Deacon Santeria is one of the best in Cascadia, and I believe you will see that even with the new law it will still prosper."

One bank manager in the crowd was heard muttering, "Screw my wife, I'm voting Liberal this year."
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

"Oh I completely understand my dear. In fact it's reassuring, it's good to know you treat our home-brewed military secrets so confidentially. I think we can enter into an agreement for a feasibility study to intergrate these impressive systems into our Stalwart AWACS aircraft. Naturally, we'd prefer if you came to us for that, security concerns are especially important at present." The King took a brief sip of his drink.

"As for the ships, well, I think we can come to a similar agreement. Our Dauntless class destroyers already carry extensive EWAR suites, but more is always better. As for new ships, we are definitely interested in these systems for the new vessels. Of course, I can't divulge where those ships are coming from as yet."

"On the matter of aircraft, I am certainly interestedi the VTOL gunships and transports, they seem ideal for our Commando and Airborne Divisions. We could have used those back in the '60's. Now, I think my son is interested in trying some of these many fascinating small arms, so shall we move on?"

Results:
Orion issues formal invitation for Helix to conduct in-depth feasibility studies for intergrating those shiny new systems into our AWACS and surface ships.
Also intending to purchase a small number of the VTOL gunships, Troop transports and cargo lifters for in-depth evaluation by our forces.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Hawai’ian Royal Library, Honolulu, O’ahu, Kingdom of Hawai’i

Some Saturday in Feburary

The attire, was as usual, Hawai’ian business casual - khakis, and subdued print button down shirts. Many businessmen and women from around the world were struck by how not-standard it was, but like many things it worked for the Polynesians both ethnic and adoptive, so it stuck around.

“The Rheinish proposal calls for all nations to have a voice in this world parliament.”

“They’ve also called for a roving seat, which is just preposterous.”

“Do you think that your boss would support the either the Lanai or Barber’s Point proposals?”

“He’d be much, much more likely to support Barber’s point, but if the Queen wants Lanai, it’s her island. I have heard however that the Samoas are likely to want to make a bid on housing the facilities - they could use the economic boost.”

“Interesting. That brings me to one other point that my boss wanted to discuss. The Rheinish proposal called for all nations to have a voice, by which they must mean a vote. The Kingdoms are not one nation, but four.”

“Do you really think that the rest of the world would support a smattering of islands to have four times the vote as everyone else?”

“Arcadia is likely to make the same point as us - they to have four crowns. I would be surprised if Umeria and Cascadia don’t have their South Vales women and Native tribes make claims to receive equal seats respectively. Not to mentions you know the Rheinish will make the claim that even if the independence vote fails that Nippon and Britania are separate and distinct nations worthy of their own vote.”

“The Umerians won’t give it to South Vales without them those ladies requesting it. The idea of an independent foreign policy would be enough to make those bureaucrats lose their minds. I will pass your point along. I’ll even send some discreet inquiries that way via our shadow chancellor. His mother is more or less permanently stationed there now, after her last stunt.”

“I am certain that Jed would be appreciative of such a gesture on your part.”

The two gentlemen then continued on polite small talk prior to leaving.

Results:
None for now, just two backbenchers keeping the parties talking over foreign policy.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eastport, Umeria
Central Administration Complex
February 23, 2014
11:15 a.m. Eastport Standard Time

Dr. Thriving Forest, Premier of the Council of Ministers, Magistrate-General of the Umerian State, and Chief of the Society of Engineers which was probably harder to earn in his opinion, sipped his tea from a paper cup and rounded another corner in the Offices. He thought to himself, trying to sort out the jumble of argh in his brain.

Okay, got the too-experienced cook transferred, tea is now always sludgy. Victory! Logistic Affairs meeting this afternoon, Foreign Affairs meeting now, Popular Affairs is next week. Illustrious Mahogany couldn't make it. Jasmine Archer will be there. Hm. Dispatch team of commandos to kidnap Illustrious' desk? Not smart. Not keeping track well. Stars above, but I'm tired. Focus!

Clever Bell was waiting outside the meeting room. "Hello, your Excellency."

"Let's see, the agenda is..." his mind spiraled back to the recitation methods he'd learned in a four-room schoolhouse back in the '60s. "Um, the missile test, the fighters, the Champan railway, the airbase on the Windy Isles. Review of the export deals."

"Yes, sir."

"Thanks. Let's get started." He stepped into the room, where this iteration of the Council of Ministers for Foreign Matters were waiting. The usual gang- Finance, Production, Forecasting, the chief of the Military Ministry. The Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Security were off on critical business, he'd asked them to send their deputies. Reflective Hillside, Minister of Transport, was here on special invitation because of the railroad issue.

"Gentlemen, I call the session to order, we begin with a brief review of the results of the missile test two weeks ago."

The Minister of Military Affairs, Marshal Sunshine Plow, reeled off a string of technical gibberish, looking for all the world as though he expected it to make sense. "The ARV has a CEP of around thirty-five plus or minus five meters for the core probability bubble of point four five plus or minus point oh five, but past that... Sometimes it locks onto a TARFUN, sometimes it kicks back to the INS coordinates. Sometimes they try to do both and we get tumblers."

Premier Forest coughed. "I'm sorry, I truly am, Sunshine, but I never really understand this weapons systems stuff in detail no matter how long you explain it."

The marshal looked wounded. "Sir, it's in the briefing document I had the staff prepare-"

"Which is a centimeter thick, and yes I did read it, but I am truly sorry; I have limits. I have a senior degree in civil engineering, and the only words in that explanation I understood were 'meters,' 'sometimes,' and I hope 'tumblers.' So let's just... okay." He recalled a mantra from the Little Blue Book, from the Injunctions to Magistrates: "When in doubt, strip everything down to its essentials. Then spend an hour later figuring out what you missed by oversimplifying." "Right. You fired the missiles at the target. In Antarctica. Did you hit the target?"

The staff officer, cut off in mid-explanation, grimaced. "Sometimes. The missile's radar doesn't always work. It throws off the aim. We're having a word with the design team on that."

"Look on the bright side. At least now we all know the missile needs better radar, then. So that's what you'll be working on for the Vindicator-C missile, I assume?"

"They're still prototyping, but work is underway."

"Good. Anyway, I know you fired off- fifteen missiles, you already have my signature on the special appropriations to replace that stock without eating into normal training budget. I'm approving your request to shift all production to the radar-guided version. And further research funding for the better radar."

"Thank you." The marshal looked as though he'd expected to have to argue for the appropriation.

"Okay. Hopefully the missile will hit the target all the time by the time we have to use it. Let's try not to get into any sea wars we don't have to before then. Or at all. Sound good, everyone?"

There were nods around the table. "All right, then. Next order of business, the interceptors. The Union says they're rolling out a Mach 4 fighter by 2018, right. Marshal Plow, what do we think about that?"

"They're very good, they're very overconfident, or both. Speed comes from engine performance, obviously, well, that and not having the plane melt. Ordinary jet engines hit diminishing returns between Mach 3 and 4, so either the Unionists and the companymen have done something very very clever we haven't thought of to jet engines, or their new fighter is going to be based on a fundamental breakthrough. Some sort of..." his eyes darted around, as if judging the background of the men around him and reminding himself how to communicate with them. "combined-cycle engine concept."

"But can they do it?"

"We have no idea. There are enough test vehicles in the world that we know high-supersonic engines can exist- but for a practical military aircraft? Not easy; there's a reason we're nowhere near being able to improve on the Comet-C's speed records. They may have more engine troubles than they expect making it work reliability. That would push back their readiness date. Remember the Habicht... but then again, they may have all their pieces lined up and ready to skewer."

"Recommendations?"

"If they've gotten far enough into a covert research program, they could very well be about to make it work, exactly when and as they say it will. In which case... well, I for one would expect them to be able to improve on that. If we want Air Defense Command to be able to do fast-and-high with the best of them in twenty years, we'd better start pushing to match them now, with a production version based on beyond-jet engine concepts as soon as we can get it... and hypersonic as soon as we can."

Forest nodded. "Obviously we may be looking at a gap if the Union- and Helix, who'll be selling- really did jump past the rest of the world with a fundamental breakthrough in engines. I'd like you to work together with the Ministry of Production to see what can be done. Put together a plan, starting with the experimental engine programs we have or can convince other countries to let us buy into. How soon can we get a beyond-jet fighter into the air, if we don't try to do anything new except make it faster? I mean, the Comet-D's electronics are good, yes?"

"Satisfactory..."

"Then don't change what isn't broken. I doubt it's really that different from trucks or locomotives or ships; if we can mass-produce the engines, and put them into vehicles at all, we can improve on the details later." Forest glanced at the Minister of Production who seemed to be nodding happily. The Minister of Military Affairs looked less happy. Actually quite a lot less happy. But it'd have to do.

Forest added, "And don't feel bad that we didn't see this coming; we've caught up from farther behind before. Anyhow, now, the question of the Champa railroad."

The many former (and currently practicing) engineers present perked up- the premier included. Then the Minister of Production raised one finger.

Forest nodded, eyes flicking to the gesture. "Yes, Great-Bird?"

He asked his question. "So, we know from the precis that Forecasting expects growth in cross-border rail along the Equatorial Ocean. Why?"

The Minister for Forecasting nodded. "Well, our growth curve has been favorable for quite a while now... Another generation and we might need to think in terms of a guest-worker program. Us!" His eyes sparkled, eyes born at a time when the average Umerian was a peasant subsistence farmer with three famines under their belt and 1.2 children in the graveyard. "So on our end, there's a growing productive capacity and opportunity for commerce. On theirs, well, I don't think the Vedic population boom is shaping to slow down… Then you tie that into the political situation in Champa. Jasmine, your take?”

The diplomat nodded, looking around the table; the overhead light caught a faint reflection off her glasses from Forest’s point of view. "Champa's economy is in terrible shape since the Thor-P3 disaster. Between the refugees and the part of the cleanup we aren’t helping with, it’s… well, it’s less bad than Orange Terrace was, but they have less depth than we do to absorb it. Refugees mean cheap labor, and they don’t have the regulations to keep land price under control. To opportunistic foreign investors… they’re a sitting duck.”

Forest scowled reflexively, as did several others.

Great-Bird nodded slowly. “So you think someone may try to start a project soon?”

“They’d be fools not to. The freight service is adequate, but passenger travel is almost entirely air, with reason, and fuel prices will only go up… so I wouldn’t be surprised to see fast passenger rail proposals for Champa. SANDEX and Acheron already put one in. One of our economic attaches sent in a report predicting that a Shinran firm was about to begin sounding the waters, but I’m skeptical of the report; there may be a few other competing bids.”

Again the nod from the Minister of Production, looking approvingly at his fellows from Transport and Forecasting. "Whoever it is that starts the project, it'd be good to be in a position to meet them half way. Both in passenger and freight. I know there have been proposals to extend the Tropic Coastal Connector line into Champa, but…”

Minister Mason nodded, bringing his own expertise to bear. “Problems. The existing right of way can't be upgraded for proper express trains on the Champan side of the border, let alone two hundred kilometers an hour.”

Forest drummed two fingers on the table. "Yes, I looked over the survey results myself a few months ago. Railroad right-of-ways aren't dams, but... I do see why we laid the track that way. It'd take a new line or a very strange train to get passenger service up above ninety in the delta region- right now you spend hours there, at slowcoach speeds." He frowned. "Still, I see why our fathers did it."

"It was that, or quadruple the cost in causeways and bridges. Anyway, it’s not completely hopeless, there’s such a thing as trainsets-on-pendulums, and the line probably needs a signals upgrade anyway, but..."

“Something to think about. Also, we may want to bump up priority on digging those tunnels on the inland route for more freight capacity. Look into it…”

“Yes, sir.” Dr. Mason, the Minister of Transport, frowned. “That leaves the passenger rail issue. I agree with Jasmine, I can’t see the Shinrans being very interested. For now, assume it’s going to be a SANDEX project.

Forest grinned. "High speed rail across western Champa… that’s a lot of mud. I hope SANDEX has a lot of very good piledrivers. Eh... they probably do."

Several of the ministers grinned tiredly, with a mix of irritation and something almost like disguised and perverse affection, and chorused from the Little Blue Book, Entry #504, On Foreign Policy. "If a thing is not for sale in San Dorado, then that thing is not to be found below the level of heaven."

The Minister of Transport shrugged. “There are tricks to get around that. Polystyrene railroad embankments are a thing these days, and no I wouldn’t have believed it either when I was young. Even so, it'll probably take them a while to get into position to start laying track, which means we have some time to get our act together. Do we have any information on what sort of line the Champans are likely to pull for? Are we looking at something more like our Type One?* Type Two? Three?"

Mason grunted. "At a guess, Type Two. With the right equipment they can build straight across the marshes, and Type One high speed rail doesn't really compete with air traffic. Type Two can at least come close. Anything faster, over those distances... well, if SANDEX thinks they can do it, they might be right, but I honestly don't think so. Not this decade, anyhow."

"Very well, then. We’ll keep our eyes peeled. Get plans ready to build a high speed connector up to and potentially over the border- the north coast route and the inland mountain route both have problems, but we don’t want foreign companies owning all the routes up to our very doorstep if we can help it."

"True. If some of the studies are right... Maybe we can make it pay.”

"Good. And now for the construction plans for the Windy Isles..."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Klamath Times

New Book "Profit Motive" challenges popular conceptions of San Dorado

KLAMATH FALLS, KLAMATH -
Economics professor John Crinkley of the University of Klamath has won international attention with his latest book "Profit Motive", a book centering on the City of San Dorado that is the result of eight years of research into the history and society of the world's largest city-state. Speaking with the authority of several trips to the city and interviews with San Doradans of all walks of life, Crinkley's book both reinforces and challenges popular conceptions about a city known for its rapacious capitalism, rampant consumerism, and worldwide economic clout.

"San Dorado companies desire profit above all else," Crinkley writes. "But despite popular media depicting San Dorado's elite as mustache-twirling villains who will cheat, lie, and steal for an extra dollar, San Dorado's economy actually rewards companies that are pragmatic about their behavior towards others. They don't want destitute serfs, they want consumers to buy their goods and grow the company bottom line. San Dorado wants everyone to be as rich as possible."

The image of aristocratic capitalist families is "another concoction of Hollywood", according to Crinkley's work. "The ruthless competition in San Dorado's companies act as a counter-balance to corruption and nepotism", Crinkly writes, saying that even the closest relatives of corporate higher-ups have to get by on merit more than connections. Corruption carries much risk, leaving one open to "terrible, sometimes brutal" retribution should a rival reveal it to get ahead.

"While San Dorado is no paradise, depictions of it in popular media are influenced by the left-wing sentiments of writers and actors," Crinkley said to an audience at his first book tour appearance. "And I think everyone needs to understand that when they discuss policies that influence dealings with San Dorado's corporations."

Reinforcing his words of San Dorado being "no paradise", Crinkley's chapters on the working class conditions in the city's slums is depressingly brutal in its honesty, showing families barely scratching by while working long hard days in the factories and plants providing consumer goods to the world market. "Everyone knows that all you need to do is impress the right corporate headhunter or manager to make it big, but they never tell you just how hard you have to work to even get close," one anonymous worker told Crinkley. "Social services in San Dorado do not exist. Period. Indeed, it is the opposite," Crinkley writes. "Many workers in San Dorado, despite their own meager earnings, will often send money to families in countries like Sankara, al-Atacama, or the Omnian Empire. It is distressing to realize that as bad as conditions in San Dorado can be, and this book has shown them at their very worst, it is still better than conditions elsewhere in Ausfrica."

While a number of publications have praised the work for its vivid descriptions of life in San Dorado, Crinkley has his share of detractors. "Capitalist trash," was one complaint from the University of Klamath's Socialist Club, who have called on students to protest at the professor's lectures.

"This book is nothing less than apologism for corporate oppression," Democratic Congressman Max Lehler (D-Klamath) said in a signed statement. "It's meant to influence voters into voting away their rights in the name of nebulous arguments that the rich getting richer will make us all better off."

"I have no agenda," Crinkley insisted at a speech at the Peters & Lake Bookstore in Klamath Falls. "This isn't about politics or economic policy, it's simply an academic work meant to find the truth about this unique city and the influence it has on our world."
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Orion Broadcasting Corporation, Paradise City

What's making news this month:

-Cleanup efforts still underway in Hephaestus after AVALANCHE terrorist attacks. Thousands of workers, both civilian and military are still engaged in cleanup and debris-clearing operations in downtown Hephaestus following the attacks in January. All bodies have now been accounted for and the funeral services have been completed. The King has expressed his gratitude to the Republic of Underwood, our staunch allies, for their rescue teams assistance and their provision of additional medical aid. The King presented President Hyde with a commemorative felling axe in thanks at the Liberation celebrations in Underwood at the end of January.

-67th Liberation Day celebrations a major success. The annual celebrations of the liberation of Underwood and the other Protectorates from the rule of Britonia was a spectacular occasion as always. Many great feasts were held and, allegedly, the beer supply in the Republic's capital was almost exhausted. Stealing the show, however, was the simlulated gunnery duel featuring the dreadnoughts John P. Wallace and Indomitable, who "engaged" a Republic dreadnought in a thunderous duel for the cheering crowds. The event's finale was a simulated aerial battle between aircraft fromt he carriers SPirit of Orion[/i and Timber Wolf, delighting all those below who were sober enough to appreciate it.

-Renish State Visit. The Rheinland's Chancellor FIscher visited the Kingdom in early February, to the delight of the people of Paradise City. THe state visist featured several grand banquets and martial displays, with Port Rigel being host to the super-dreadnoughts of the Rheinland Navy. These mighty vessels drew huge crowds of enthusiastic spectators, especially when they entered harbour and exchanged a gun salute with the dreadnoughts f the Royal Navy. Although it is not yet know what the exact results of the King's talks with the Chancellor are, it is believed to be highly positive. It is known that the King and the Chancellor visited the Mount Erebus Complex for a tour of the command facilities.

-Helix Industry's Weapons Demonstrations. The San Doradan mega-corp came to Orion at the behest of the King himself to demonstrate their latest weapons systems. Whilst the details remain classified, sources within the Defence Ministry say that numerous aircraft have been purchased for further evaluation, as well as a number of small arms and electronic warfare systems.

The OBC, bringing you all the news every day.

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

James Wright International Airport | Portland
Cascadia, North America

The Aethon supersonic jet had crossed the Atlantic in maximum comfort and minimum time. It had stopped only briefly on Isla Aurum to refuel before taking off again for the second leg of the trip, zipping over Tianguo and Komradistan before finally homing in on the Cascadian capital of Portland. Now its three high-speed engines wound down as it cruised to a halt at James Wright's VIP terminal, an unusual and exotic sight even amongst the business jets and personal aircraft of the rich and famous. So far only a handful of Aethons had been built, and they were used exclusively when San Dorado's elites needed to get around quickly and efficiently.

Even so Asmody Romanski couldn't help impatiently tapping her fingers as the jet crawled to its gate. Her journey had been fast even by the exacting standards of executives used to high-speed intercontinental travel, but even then it had taken a few hours to get to Portland. For someone accustomed to operating at the extreme bleeding edges of San Dorado's high speed digital trading systems that felt like an eternity. An eternity of being boxed up in a tiny titanium tube suspended a few thousand meters above the ground. Were it not for satellite internet connectivity she was sure she'd have gone mad.

Asmody sighed, and forcefully resisted the urge to pick up her phone to check on the markets. Stop it. You're not a day trader anymore, she forcefully reminded herself. It had been years since she'd said farewell to the floor, but sometimes - especially when she was bored - the urge to check back in, dust off the old stochastics indicators and make a run at some IPOs became almost irresistable. She wondered if this was what addiction felt like.

So far the better part of her had always won out. Asmody liked to think that was the part that got her out of Shaker Downs and into Ashworth University. Not many people made it out of the Sprawl, and when she was a kid there was nobody she knew that ever made it all the way Downtown. Her friends and her had called it 'riding the straight six', after the express line mono that ran all the way from Horrison Street to Central Terminal. Cruising the six out from South it'd look for the longest time like those ramshackle carriages would take you all the way downtown. But at the last moment they would always veer east, away from the glittering towers, sweeping underground into the subterranean catacombs of Central Terminal.

So 'riding the straight six' had become a metaphor for doing something impossible. It was a silly dream. But every time she rode that monorail, every time that train veered east at the last moment, something inside her had vowed that next time, next time she would make it. Her friends had laughed at her. You couldn't make it out of the Sprawl, they'd said. But Asmody had always remembered the first time they all rode together, convinced they could go all the way. She remembered how one by one her friends had given up on that dream. Those moments, every laugh, all the mockeries, she felt as holes in her soul.

She had distanced herself from them, resolved not to let them get to her. Asmody had watched from a distance as her former friends were consumed by drugs and crime and despair, the vices of the Sprawl. Asmody had buried herself in numbers and statistics, resolved not to let the city do to her what she watched it do to them.

And she had made it, despite the incredible odds stacked against her. Top marks. A full scholarship to Ashworth. A prestigious place in Axum's young trader division. It had been a long and hard path. For years, she'd had to put up with the sneers of rich kids from Ravensworth who saw her as a pushy lowlife, aspiring to a lifestyle that was beyond her. She had known that simple excellence was not enough. Top returns alone would not hack it here. For years she had struggled with rivals. She had curried favor with the powerful and crushed those useless rich fobs beneath her feet. She joined all the right clubs and made sure to be seen in all the right places.

It was an exemplary career. Asmody had moved from a tiny studio in Brick City, to an apartment in West, to a penthouse Downtown. Now, at forty-five, she was one of AxumFinans' top fixers, dispatched to negotiate with the bank regulators of the Cascadian treasury the resolution of the Deacon Santeria issue and the takeover of Barnett Bank.

Sometimes though, when there was nothing else to occuppy her mind, her thoughts would stray to her old friends. She'd think back to summer nights dancing in the juke joints of Re-Cip City or in the backseats of cars, folded softly below each other. And she would wonder what happened to those people, if they'd maybe ended up on the meat markets of Ewart Park or in the drug dens of the Marrowbones. And she'd grab her phone and obsessively check the markets, force herself to think of numbers, nothing but numbers, to rip herself away from those thoughts and stop the tears from coming.

There would be a limousine waiting at the terminal to take her to her five star hotel in the heart of the Federal District. The pilot had told her it could take upwards of an hour to get there. Asmody hoped traffic would be light.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The Free City of Cali
11 March 2014

Ciudad Diablo.

That's what they called this place. "The Devil's City".

Cali was the second-largest of the Granadian coastal cities and ports that had once connected the Granadian Empire to its Principality of Gran Chacos, being the primary artery into the interior of the Gran Chacos via the Chacos River. Rebellion shattered Granadia's Empire in the 19th Century; Britonia seized control of what it called the Chacos Coast Colony, including Cali, while the interior of Gran Chacos was allowed to fall into chaos, a network of independent little native tribes and Granadian-majority cities forming empires.

Then Britonia in turn fell. And the Chacos Coast Colony voted whether or not to join other colonies to the south of South America's Atlantic Coast. By bare margins they did, forming the Federal Republic of Kalahar. But Cali didn't want to join, having decisively rejected that plebiscite, and it demanded independence. It received that independence in 1974, although it had never been under Kalahari control in any de facto sense, with a treaty that granted it free use of the Chacos River into Medellin and immunity from Kalahari customs while on the river.

Many still speculated on why the Kalahari government relented. Some said it was because it feared the rest of the cities of the north would join an open revolt if it refused to let Cali go. Some say the Kingdom of Orion demanded it, wanting the city as a neutral port to trade freely with the interior of the Chacos, organizing into what became the Medellin Free State. Others say one or more of San Dorado's megacorps bribed Kalahar's government because they wanted to control Cali. Yet others say that the National Security and Intelligence Agency of Cascadia bribed and bullied for the port's independence to use it as an entrepot for weapons being smuggled to anti-Communist guerrillas in northern Medellin and southern Chilitina.

These days, people wondered if it was prescience on the part of Kalahari officials who realized the city would become more trouble than it was worth.

People called San Dorado a horrible place because of the conditions of its working poor, or the gap of rich and poor, or the utterly amoral system that the corporations there operated under. "Life is cheap in San Dorado" was a common accusation.

These people had never visited Cali.

By the turn of the century, Cali had become the Murder Capital of the World. Anyone who could afford firearms in the city carried them. Everyone kept their heads down. The police were just another gang (and usually in the employ of gangs themselves, depending on which area of the city you were in) and the government was in the pocket of the drug cartels of southern Medellin, who used Cali as their major transshipment hub to send their narcotics to the rest of the world. The city had no functioning judiciary worth the name. It was the world's ultimate narcostate.

There had been reformers, of course. Good men and women who wanted to redeem their city, who wanted to clean it up in the eyes of the world and express pride in their heritage and the beautiful 16th and 17th Century architecture of their many plazas.

They didn't get far, and the luckiest of them found residency in Kalahar. The others were usually found in the Chacos River, or on the street... and not always in one piece.

There was a bar not far from the Plaza de Santa Gracia, along the city's northern side just a half mile from the docks. Above it was tenement housing and inside cheap tequila and whiskey flowed more than the crappy local beers.

One man sat at the bar. He wasn't too big, not too small. Lean muscle was hidden under a long-sleeved jacket and pants of dull colors. His light skin wasn't too out of place - Cali had many criollos - and his brown hair was, again, average. Your eyes were not likely to notice him unless you were looking for him.

Which was just how he wanted it.

Another man came up and clapped him on the shoulder. This man was a local, speaking slurred English with a thick Spanish-Calian accent. "'ey gringo, been lookin' for you. Found you a friend, ya? She's sixteen, lookin' for good dinero."

"That's not what I'm here for, Dominic," the man replied. His accent was broadly Cascadian, but not any recognizable regional dialect. "You promised me a meet with Garza, remember?"

"C'mon man. Garza don't meet people, he just shoot them."

"I can make it worth his while." The figure glanced around. He noticed two figures standing at the door, watching him and Dominic. "Or should I just ask his friends over there?"

Dominic was not a very good front man. He actually glanced nervously toward the two men before putting his eyes back on his friend.

That was enough time for the man at the bar to pull a pistol and press it against Dominic's groin, where nobody could see it from the door. "Now I thought we were really good friends, Dominic."

"Oh... oh ya, man!"

"I paid you some money to arrange the meet. And you bring men to kill me. That's not very friendly."

"It's Garza man. He don't like Cadies. Hates 'em. He did a nickel in Cadie prison for smugglin'."

"And here I thought he was a businessman. Besides, do I look like a cop? Now, tell them to go away..."

"I can't. Garza don't like you sniffin' around, wants you shot."

"Well, in that case..."

The two men at the door were enforcers. But they were not very quick on the draw.

Which meant they didn't react quickly enough when the man at the bar turned and opened fire.

The thundercracks of gunshots sent the barman and other patrons diving. Blood erupted from the chest of the largest of the two men, a shot to the lungs. His compatriot went for the machine pistol on his hip while trying to dive for cover. Had he done either quickly, his machine pistol would have easily killed both Dominic and the man at the bar.

Trying to do both things was, as it turned out, fatal. He hit the ground, his hand tangled with his holster, and scrambled for a table. A bullet found his knee and sent him down for a critical moment. He twisted, trying to bring up the machine pistol.

Bam! Bam!

The second man turned onto his back. Two bullet holes marked where his heart had been shot to pieces.

The man at the bar turned back to Dominic... and grabbed him. "Get down!" He pulled him into cover just before the barman's shotgun went off, sending pellets over their heads. The sound of the shotgun cocking prompted the man at the bar to look over it... and bring his head back down as the shotgun pointed at him again. It thundered once more, making his ears ring.

"You getting me killed man!", Dominic wailed.

"Not now!" He looked back up in time to see the barman moving around the bar. He leveled the gun and fired, driving the barman back down. He crept along the length of the bar as quietly as he could, aided by Dominic's terrified sobbing. He returned the gun to his holster as he reached the end of the bar.

When the barman came around the corner, he brought his shotgun over and pulled the trigger. The man at the bar grabbed it with his free hand and forced it up in the second that the barman's finger pulled, narrowly avoiding getting shot. Pain exploded in the man's ear from being so close to the shotgun's barrel when it went off, but training and adrenaline took over. He held on for dear life. The shotgun roared again.

He twisted the shotgun enough to get a clear blow in, slamming his forehead into the barman's nose. Now his head hurt too, but not as much as the barman, who toppled over as blood pooled in his nostril from the broken nose. The man at the bar wrenched the shotgun from him and turned to Dominic. "Give me a good reason not to shoot you, Dominic."

"Please man!", Dominic screamed. "I just the messenger, man! I try hook you up, but Garza don't work with no Cadies!"

"Then tell me who Garza's boss is."

"Old Santana? No man! He's nuts! He kills you for lookin' at him funny! He cuts you up!" Dominic was crying. "I'm just barrio scum to Santana, he won't listen to me man!"

"Then we'll find a way to make him listen." The man grabbed Dominic's arm. "Let's get out of here before Garza's men show up."

"Man, Garza's gonna shoot me now!"

"Gives you a good reason to follow me, right? Because I'm not as likely to shoot you."

Dominic whimpered, but couldn't argue with that logic.

An hour later, Dominic was safely in a hotel room in Santo Miguel, a slum near the city's heart. Santo Miguel was neutral territory for the cartels, a place where they could arrange business without worrying about watching their back, ruthlessly enforced by Santo Miguel's capo "Don" Juan de la Palos, the local police lieutenant who ran the area and enjoyed the money that came from guaranteeing no cartel completely controlled it.

Across the street, Dominic's "friend" entered a studio apartment and checked everything. An inspection showed no bugs, no signs of someone entering his place. With this inspection done he opened up the housing for his air conditioner and found the object he'd left inside; a satellite phone. He hit a number on it and waited for someone to pick up. "I'm here. How did it go?"

"Not well. Garza doesn't deal with Cascadians so he tried to have me killed. That would have been nice to know."

"Our intel on Garza was off, then. What about the contact you made?"

"My new friend Dominic is in a safehouse now."

"I see." There was a sigh on the other end. "We need a new angle."

"I've got one in mind. Garza's boss. He should be able to tell us where the weapons are being shipped."

"Good. Make it worth his while. And remember, Westen; no heroics."

"Of course, sir. I'll contact you when I've made contact."

"Good luck."

There was a tone on the other end. Moments later the phone was back in its hiding spot and the air conditioner was closed up again.

And as he went toward the bathroom to shower and prepare for bed, NSIA operative MIchael Westen reflected on how it was just another day in Cali....

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Foreign Ministry, Paradise City
February 28th, 2014

Like all such major announcements, this was being transmitted live across Orion and indeed the world for those interested enough to care. Ofcourse, this year's live announcements from the Kingdom had been extremely interesting (many said provocative, or less friendly adjectives), so interest had indeed picked up considerably.

Foreign Minister Abrams stepped up to the podium. "The Kingdom of Orion has, in recent months, suffered dreadfully at the hands of terrorist murderers in the pursuit of their political agenda. Today, Orion reiterates King ALexander's statement that this will no longer be tolerated. We will pursue these barbarians to the four corners of Tellus, indeed to the gates of Hell if need be.

We ask our allies and friends around the world for help in this great endeavour, this campaign to eliminate the very worst of humanity. To those who would aid us, whether out of friendship or their own self-interest, we offer our aide and assistance. Today, my ministry is issuing formal invitations to a global summit conference on terrorism. Cascadia, Rheinland, Klavostan, Shinra, Fuso, Hawai'i, Umeria and all the other great nations are invited to come to Orion, to agree on a global campaign.

Come to Orion in peace, and with your help we can eradicate this threat to all civilised nations. We ask this not with a desire to lead this effort, but a desire to see the objective completed. Come to us and join us and we truly can make the world a safer place for all our peoples. Thank you."

Results:

Invitations sent to all PC's for a summit conference for a nascent war on terror.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Note sent through the offices of the Umerian embassy in Paradise City]
March 3, 2014

To the Illustrious Minister Abrams:

I accept your invitation to the great "anti-terrorist" summit in my own person, speaking in plenipotentiary capacity for the Umerian state and people. It is my intent to pursue through word and deed a course of action agreed upon by the Committee for Foreign Affairs.

This course I outline below, the interests of decorous, orderly, and effective negotiation, and resolution of a global crisis.

As yet, the Umerian state and people have known no direct attack from these bands of traitors, brigands, and wreckers. Their actions suggest that they are truly the enemies of all high civilization, and as a matter of course we stand in favor of order and against chaos.

But it is also our intent to ensure that the proper relationships of the nations are preserved and reinforced. Already one of the nations on our very border has known a sudden, armed descent upon its soil, one of the opening barrages of the global war envisioned in your address. This attack was launched by forces of the Republic of Shinra, under irregular circumstances.

Let it be said that Republic acted in good faith and with laudable goals, and we have no complaint against their actions as such. Yet, they did so in haste and by stealth. For reasons they no doubt found sufficient, they acted without attempting notify us to their naval penetration into that portion of the Antarctic Sea. And yet, these were waters that the Umerian state is accustomed to hold behind its own shield, and to guard with its own spear, on behalf of our southern neighbors who lack the power to defend it themselves against forceful intrusion. In the event, this led to no harm, no crisis between the Umerian and Shinra peoples, a cause for great rejoicing.

Accidental confrontations between the navies, air forces, and armies of the nations are a sad possibility, as the Kingdom of Orion is no doubt well aware in this new year. We are certain that the wise leaders of the Kingdom are also aware that such confrontations can result in needless bloodshed, in the absence of proper coordination and respect for the capabilities and interests of all involved.

Pursuant to this, it will be my goal to ensure that any international coalition holds high and proper respect for the autonomy and authority of neutral states. For if you truly intend to win this great and global war against terrorism, the battlefields will be far-reaching in both time and space. It is my aim to urge all to be mindful to protect and respect all the peoples caught up in such a great war, not only those who have the artillery of a great army to speak for them.

Respectfully,
Dr. Illustrious Mahogany
Minister of Foreign Affairs
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

To the government of The Kingdom of Orion:

While the Kingdom of Corona will not commit to an international campaign against terrorism beyond our current efforts to oppose these unjust and reprehensible acts, we are prepared to send an envoy to your proposed summit. Barring an objection from Orion, Deputy Minister of Justice Reginald Firth will be departing for Orion, along with an advisor from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

It is this administration's wish that this will begin an era of cooperation and commitment to justice.

Sincerely,

Minister of Foreign Affairs Evalyn Clark.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

State Department
Portland Federal District

"So this terrorism conference...."

"We'll accredit a delegation from the NSIA and NBI to attend. Maybe have Ambassador Loughlin assign someone to ride herd on them. But we're not letting Orion turn this into an excuse to go shooting up random villages in Medellin or Pampas. I want that made clear," Secretary of State MacKenzie insisted. "If the meeting starts becoming too militant we're out. I'm not allowing terrorism fears to destroy the idea of diplomacy."

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Written with Steve

Alexander Hamilton Building | 1500 Idaho Avenue
Portland Federal District, Cascadia

Peter Black Elk was like many Cascadians; a man of mixed nationality. Sioux, Dakota, Shoshone, and Britonian settler blood mixed in his veins going back three hundred years. Growing up in the rolling plains of the Dakota Republic, not far from the Great Plains Republic border, Peter had aspired to bigger and better things in his life, not the rural lifestyle of his family. He'd served his three years in the Army during the 1980s watching the Klavostani border during the height of the Cold War and still had his tattoo identifying him as a Sunhawk, a proud veteran of the 8th Armored Cavalry Regiment. The army had given him college money and he'd used it, attending the University of Klamath and getting a degree in economics. He'd been a bank teller with the Shoshone Tribal Bank, an executive with Red Crow Financial, and as a politician had become an ardent Whig and served as a Congressman and as a civil servant bank regulator in the Treasury Department's Financial Regulation Division.

Today, he was Secretary of the Treasury.

He had, in short, made it.

He was waiting in a conference room when his aide, Delilah Gonzales, brought in the AxumFinans negotiator. He sized up Asmody Romanski and knew this was not going to be an easy discussion. It wouldn't be heated, perhaps, but it wouldn't be easy. Axum was undoubtedly ready to wage financial war if it didn't like the outcome of these talks and, knowing their reputation, would do everything to damage Cascadia's financial system if they were crossed.

Asmody came into the room wearing her poker face and a conservatively cut dark blue business suit. Golden brown hair hung loosely to her shoulders, framing a lean face. There was a smile on her mouth but not in her eyes as she moved businesslike through the room, dark eyes scanning Black Elk and his assistant for tells, weaknesses, anything that could give her an edge. She could feel the old familiar trade floor adrenalin in her veins, quickening her thoughts, rendering the world in simple shades of have and have-not. She had studied the report Axum had prepared on the secretary until she could recite key words in her head: Exemplary service. Career bureaucrat. Honest. Ideals of devotion to state and people. Asmody shook his hand and then that of his aide, giving her a fraction of a smile. “Mister secretary. Good to meet you.” Her aide, a brawny man with sun-tanned skin and a bald head who looked more like a bodyguard than an assistant, simply nodded to the both of them and sat down in his assigned seat, a vaguely raptorial expression on his face.

“I am here,” Asmody continued, “because my company wants to buy Barnett Bank. Acquisition by AxumFinans would assuredly end Barnett’s financial woes and save Cascadia a significant amount of ‘bailout money’.” She uttered the last words as if they were particularly vulgar to use. “We are the only market party capable of absorbing the 13.4 billion Cascadian in toxic mortgage securities Barnett needs to write off. Your office is aware of the state of Barnett’s books, so you know that what I say is fact. AxumFinans would purchase these assets for preferred stock, restructuring Barnett into a segment of our successful and financially healthy Deacon Santeria subsidiary.”

“And yet,” Asmody crossed her legs, accentuating her razor-heeled black pumps, and locked a pair of glittering eyes on Black Elk’s. “Instead of welcoming our bid your government has hampered the acquisition and enacted legislation that jeopardizes the continuity of our business in Cascadia. You now demand we split up Deacon Santeria, even though our subsidiary has broken no laws, was no party to your mortgage crisis, and paid just shy of 500 million Cascadian in taxes last year. That’s money we could have shelled through tax havens, but Deacon Santeria’s management argued for ‘rendering unto Caesar’, and Axum upheld their decision. Mr. Secretary, from where I’m standing my company has done more than right by your government, and yet we are now unfairly disadvantaged. I will be honest with you, there are some in the Obelisk,” she said, referring to the squat Miracle Mile skyscraper that headquartered AxumFinans, “who already assume your government hostile to our company. I myself am not yet ready to draw that conclusion. But I would inquire as to the reasoning behind your government’s recent decisions.”

Secretary Black Elk steepled his fingers and allowed the argument to go through. “The Bank Reform Act was legislation desired to deal with a general problem and in no way directed at AxumFinans.” He leaned forward. “That said, there is flexibility under the law thanks to the compromises that went into it. The division of investment banking from standard commercial and personal banking is not going to be demanded immediately but given a time limit. Under the legislation, you would have until April of 2016 to establish the division, and you can file for extensions of up to a year and a half if you are running into difficulties in the process. We’re not ignorant of how well run your banks have been, you understand. But surely you understand that the law is the law, ma’am. President Penton has often remarked to me that the law must be fair, or it isn’t law but just the whims of those in power.”

“My regulators have already went over the buyout plans for Barnett and we do not currently see any difficulties. In fact, if I may be so bold, it is opportunity. Barnett already shut down its investment banking and focuses on the commercial and personal banking function. Would it not make sense for Deacon Santeria to use it for its own banking in that area, divesting those functions to Barnett after the buyout? You would accomplish the separation required by the legislation and, given Barnett’s market share, further improve the bank’s standing in the personal financing market.”

"If only the world were that simple. Deacon Santeria's business model relies on a combination of commercial and investment banking. It helps companies sell IPOs by extending credit lines that allows start-ups to finance rapid growth and boost stock prices. Our subsidiary then reaps the benefits of increased trading revenue and commissions from future stock offerings." Asmody scratched her leg. "That's an integral part of how its investment arm makes its money. But your legislation makes it illegal to operate in this manner. Now you propose we merge our commercial banking arm with a tainted brand, and split our investment arm - which still suffers from the flagging North American economy - into a separate business. That would also entail removing 300 billion in assets from its books and segregating them into a separate holding, requiring extensive - and expensive - corporate restructuring. We'd have to compensate our shareholders, tap liquidity to ensure current partners still have access to their credit. I do not see how we stand to gain from your proposition."

Black Elk seemed deep in thought for the moment. “I understand your business model does rely on the linkage of investment and securities to private and commercial depositors. I know it works for you in San Dorado and other countries. It’s simply not permissible in Cascadia under the new legislation. I don’t write the laws, I only enforce them. Now, since my proposal is unacceptable to you, perhaps you have something in mind?”

"Corporate structures can be changed. Business models can be changed. Those are not crucial issues for us," Asmody replied. "For us it is fundamentally that a decision made by your government is going to cost us a quite significant amount of money and trouble. It is a trust issue. You demand we spend a great deal of effort to comply with your laws. What security do we have they won't change again a year from now? We would ask for guarantees but you cannot offer them - because you do not write the laws. But 'dura lex sed lex' is not enough, not when billions of dollars are at stake. AxumFinans’ continuity of operations in Cascadia is currently insufficiently guaranteed for us to buy Barnett and its debt load, not unless there’s a clear sign or incentive from your side that shows you're willing to work with us on resolving this issue.”

Black Elk rubbed at his chin for a moment. “I am, for a start, prepared to arrange tax credits and guaranteed extensions of the time limit to accomplish the fission of Deacon Santeria.”

“I see. Good.” Asmody nodded. “Now we’re getting somewhere...”

Results: (finalized over the course of another month by underlings in lower-level talks)
* Deacon Santeria has until 2017 to finalize its fission into Deacon-Barnett (commercial banking and insurance) and Deacon Santeria (investment bank)
* The Cascadian government extends a 10 year, 6.7 billion tax break to AxumFinans as a sign of good will and as compensation of its absorption of Barnett's toxic assets
* AxumFinans guarantees it will protect its current number of jobs in Cascadia until at least one year after the next federal elections
* Various minor details: a tax break on the purchase of a piece of land to buy a new HQ, a 30 year direct optical fiber deal to the Seattle Stock Exchange, a guarantee that corporate tax computation won't change for 5 years, a deal on the deductibility of business advertising costs, etc.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

La Granadina
El Periódico De La Nación Granadiense
THE NATION IN BANKRUPCY!!!

In a shocking, rare public announcement, our great Caudillo, Augusto Videla, declared that the Granadian State is in bankruptcy after months of speculation and mounting crises in our financial system.

"The State is bankrupt. We can no longer afford to continue with business as usual. Our financial system has become weak and sick. Our economy is failing. Our debts have risen to an intolerable degree. Inflation has made day-to-day life for the average Granadian more and more unbearable. I implore the Granadian people to show fortitude and discipline in the coming days. The medicine we are attempting to concoct is bitter and harsh, but I see no other way to save the public finances from complete disintegration."

At the same time, he admitted that the debts owed to foreign entities are under threat.

"Our debt obligations to our foreign partners can no longer be met within a few weeks, so long as the foreign currency shortage doesn't ease. We are seriously considering a default, unless we are given a loan and gain more time to put our finances in order. We understand the serious difficulties this may cause, but right now we have little room to maneuver."

This announcement happened after the recent restructuring at the Finance Ministry, in which the Minister of Finance and dozens of other Ministry officials were sacked, arrested, and condemned to death. Before that, the Minister of Economics had died in an air accident, while other ME officials were found dead in their offices, apparently having committed suicide.

Perhaps the most shocking comment made by Videla was the following:

"I must confess," Videla said, "that I never paid much attention to the affairs of those Ministries. I left them in the most "splendid" isolation, due to the fact that economics was never my strong suit. And now I realize what a fool I was! I may have one foot in the grave already, but the next time such dereliction of duty happens, not even my closest advisers will be safe from the rope!"
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Portland Gazette

Granadian bankruptcy threatens economic recovery

SEATTLE, OLYMPIA -
Money markets took a turn for the worst today as the world's financial system deals with the declaration of the Granadian state's bankruptcy. The Eurasian nation's leadership has instituted wide-scale arrests and executions, with further investigations into corruption pledged by government officials. President Videla has pledged the government will pay closer attention to the nation's economics.

President Videla's warnings about defaulting on foreign loans is causing panics in several financial markets along the Central Ocean Rim. Taylor Lawrence of Schuler and Sons Investments has warned Cascadian investors holding government bonds from Granadia to expect near or total loss of their investment unless Granadia can find the foreign loans it desperately needs.

"It is difficult to guess if any loans will be granted to Granadia in this economic and political climate," Lawrence warned.

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Axum Obelisk | 610 Miracle Mile
Yronwood, Downtown San Dorado

Markets Drop As Granadian Concern Mounts

San Dorado's financial markets took a nasty shock today as Augusto Videla declares his state bankrupt. Share prices of hedges and investment funds owning Granadian sovereign bonds dropped across the board, as did prices of private equity funds known to hold large volumes of Eurasian currencies and companies known to have assets in Granadia or hold outstanding credit to the Granadian government. The B&P/EURA 200 stock index dropped 39.2 points and trading was 19 percent below the 30-day average.

“The economic outlook for Granadia has been clouded for years," says AxumFinans spokesman Mordecai Rokesley, "but the closed, state-dominated nature of the Granadian economy made it difficult to determine exactly how bad the situation was. As it turns out, it is apparently a lot more dire than anyone expected."

When asked about the possibility of extending emergency funds to the ailing nation Rokesley said the financial giant is "very much on the fence". "According to Mr. Videla Granadia is considering a default. Under those circumstances we would require very serious assurances our credit would be redeemed." Granadian issuance of short term bonds to forestall a crisis would not be a long-term solution, Rokesley warns. "That simply means there will be a liquidity crisis somewhere a little later down the line. If Granadia is running out of cash the government needs to clarify how it intends to structurally settle its debt problem."

Credit rating agency Bradstreet-Porter in a press release said it was considering downrating the Granadian sovereign credit rating.

An hour before market close the SDSE rallied slightly when Axum released news that negotiations with the Cascadian government regarding the takeover of Barnett Bank are "progressing amicably". The stock market eventually ended 52.6 points below market opening.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

News cameras recorded the Senate as Melinda Jones, the senator from the Libertarian Party, delivered yet another passionate tirade against the government and taxation. The first shots were being traded in the age old debate over the budget, which had been a pivotal issue in the last election. The Equality Party had campaigned on cutting the military's budget and raising taxes on the rich, and their success in the next election would likely depend in part on how well they fulfilled that promise. However, despite having the most seats in the Senate of any party, the Equality Party lacked an actual majority, meaning that a compromise would most likely be necessary.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Daitoryo Kantei
Chiyoda, Tokyo, Fuso
2 March 2014

"Anti-terrorism conference." Secretary of State Amagi had to hold back the urge to blow a raspberry. "Can you believe this, Naoto?"

"I know, right?" Secretary of Homeland Security Shirogane replied. "Anyway, I'll bring a Homeland Security delegation there. Can't have good security theater without producers and directors, after all."

"If that's what you want," Secretary of State Amagi said. "I'll have some people from our embassy in Orion meet up with you prior to the conference. I'm honestly not expecting much to come of it, though. Like you said, security theater."
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Free City of Cali, South America

Pyxis Worldwide Satellite News
Unidentified planes 'bomb' Cali

Unidentified war planes may have carried out overnight air strikes on the Free City of Cali, according to local media. Residents reported seeing jets fly over the city and hearing explosions. The city government said it did not have any "convincing indications to establish which side was behind this".

The city-state, often referred to as the 'Devil's City', has been by gripped by fighting between rival militias vying for control of the drug trade and other profitable and frequently criminal enterprises. A recent upsurge of violence has been centred around the international airport and in the middle class eastern parts of the city. Several hundred people are believed to have died in July and August in an upsurge of unrest.

Thousands have fled their homes to escape the violence.

On Monday, several local TV channels said planes had targeted bases of militiamen from the La Estacado cartel who have been battling brigades from the northern Obregon region to gain control of Cali.

Cascadian news agency Portland Independent quotes forces loyal to renegade Kalahari General Sofia Morillo as saying they were behind what they termed air strikes "on some militias' locations belonging to drug runners". The group's claim could not be independently verified.

General Morillo deserted the Kalahari army in 2009 when the government in her eyes did too little to curb cartel activity in and around Cali. Significant numbers of Kalahari soldiers have since defected to her Ejército de Liberación de Kalahar y Cali (ELKC), that controls several forested valleys of the disputed triborder region between Kalahar, Cali and Medellin Free State.

Representatives from two San Dorado private military companies active in Cali, Knight Errant and Stormbrink Security, have denied involvement in the attacks. "If we deployed air assets to attack La Estacado," said Col. Malik Lau of Stormbrink, "they would not still be here today."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Cordelia Young stood in front of a group of reporters.

"The government of Corona regrets and condemns the violence in the Free City of Cali. Innocent civilians should never face violence or be driven from their homes by crime or war. This administration urges all parties involved to show restraint and respect human rights.

We are also alarmed by reports of air strikes conducted in the city by an unknown party. We consider this an unacceptable escalation.

In light of these developments, this administration is warning residents of Corona not to visit the Free State of Cali unless it is absolutely necessary."
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Another Day at the Border

It was just another day in the Sogoi mountain range. Snow filled the entire ravine and the wind howled with great gusto, threatening to strip off the skin of any unclothed soul. Lieutenant Colonel Zveda Bazarin looked over the mountain pass with a pair of binoculars and scanned the pass for any sign of movement. “Nothing much beyond the usual resident flora and fauna, along a bear or two, or maybe a few foxes,” he muttered.

His aide, Major Lupin Ephraim chuckled. “Well, let’s just hope for another boring day, Comrade Colonel?”

“I swear, Lupin, sometimes, I think this posting is a punishment. Did I infuriate anyone high up there?”

“Well, we were marginally slow when we were told to arrive at our rendezvous point during the last exercise…”

“And that’s because the damn fat pompous General Strekin who gave the orders couldn’t make up his damn mind where we were supposed to go!”

“All too true. Well, other the hand, we do have to serve rotations with the border outposts once in a while. So mayhaps this be just a routine?”

Bazarin grunted inaudibly a bit more and said, “Let’s go down and check out the techies. Maybe they can find something we can’t.” Together with Major Ephraim, he walked down the stairs, and opened the armored hatch down below. Hydraulics whined as the heavy hatch opened. He climbed down the hatch, sealing it as he went.

This was Outpost XXIAT. One of many thousands of underground bunkers that served as a watch tower and maintained watch over Sogoi mountains. These bunkers were traditionally built such that they blended with the environment, to reduce the chance of detection. Within these bunkers housed half a thousand personnel monitoring the various cameras and unmanned flight vehicles that patrolled the UOCSR-Khagarian border, and maintaining the underground runway for the aircraft. In addition, an entire brigade of men guarded this outpost and Lieutenant Colonel Bazarin was their commander.

Bazarin walked into the command center, which was a large cavernous room with rows upon rows of technical staff sitting in front of their computer screens. A large display filled the end of the room that provided a situational picture of the surrounding sector. Bazarin walked over to meet Captain Ezerin Strekov, who managed the technicians within the outpost. “Nothing unusual I hope, comrade captain?” asked Bazarin.

Captain Strekov turned and waved both officers to come over. “There might be something Comrade Colonel. Look here.”

Bazarin looked at what Strekov was pointing at. “A small group of infiltrators?”

“Yes, Comrade Captain. I think the Khagarians are testing our borders.”

“Are there any other Khagarian units near by?”

“There are some Khagarian units, an armored regiment, artillery, and some other units.”

“Didn’t the armored regiment and the artillery regiment arrive just … two days ago?”

“That they did. Which is odd. Not sure why they’d move a unit here. They have long suspected the presence of our outpost here, but they have never taken any serious action to find it.”

“Until now.”

“Yes, perhaps until now, Comrade Colonel.”

Ephraim rubbed his chin. “Do you want to capture them or just kill them? Would this be cause to contact division command, Comrade Colonel?”

Bazarin shook his head. “Should we capture them? Perhaps we should. As for the need to contact division command, no, Comrade Major. We were given wide jurisdiction to put a stop to any incursions by the enemy. But let division command know about this, just in case we need more firepower.”

“At once, Comrade Colonel.”

Bazarin turned to Strekov. “Send some assets above the Khagarian units and report any single sign of activity that includes loading of ammunition. In the meantime, monitor the infiltration unit, and if they cross the border, inform me.”

Ephraim came over with a phone. “Comrade Colonel, General Alexsey on the line.”

Bazarin picked up the phone. “Yes, Comrade General?”

“Zveda Malinovich, you are sure of this? A small detachment is headed your way?”

“Yes, Comrade General, I can personally vouch for Comrade Captain Strekov’s observation.”

“What do you plan to do?”

“Comrade General, I was thinking of apprehending the heretics when they cross the border. But I am weary of the artillery units over the border. They are within range of any possible retaliation. A team of Spetsnaz could go in capture them and slip into one of the nearby tunnels and hopefully escape detection. But again, I am not sure if I should risk a highly skilled team for this. I think even if we just killed the infiltration team, the Khagarian heretics will no doubt retaliate one way or another.”

There was a pause. “In that case, Zveda, I believe you are free to exercise your judgement on how best to deal with the infiltrators. While that happens. Let me mobilize the 23th Artillery to provide the necessary back up. Inform me the moment the Khagarians open fire upon you. We will retaliate as appropriate.”

“Thank you, Comrade General.”

“Good hunting, Zveda.”

Bazarin put the phone down, and took a deep breath. Ephraim asked, “Shall I call up Comrade Captain Zubov Severinov?”

“Yes, call up our good Spetsnaz Captain. I have a job for him.”
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Phil Coulson leaned on the rail of the balcony of his hotel room, listening to the all-too-familiar sound of gunfire. Cali was a hell of a mess, he thought. Yet another shattered country that was soon to be history if it didn't change direction. And what would replace it?

The bombings were particularly worrying. He hadn't witnessed them, but he had spoken to people who said they had. The identity of the target was reasonably clear. He'd also heard a rumour that someone had shot a video of the bombing. He thought he might have a lead on the identity of the person who had shot it. If he could get his hands on it and forward it to the Department of Intelligence, it might provide evidence of the identity of the attackers.