Modern World STGOD Concept

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: Modern World STGOD Concept

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Like I said, if no more continental powers crop up, I can safely modify Arcadia to be four nations instead of four island nations.

I'm still working on the history, so it wouldn't be that hard to do if needed.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Agent Sorchus wrote:RogueIce in my 4th proposal there is a note for you.
I didn't have any major or immediate plans for him, maybe some kind of backstory (why we went for thorium reactors over carbon-based energy, for instance). That said, no reason he can't be international. So...tentative yes? I would like him available in some fashion but if he's been doing his eco-terror schtick that would fit with anything I would've used him for.

EDIT: Ah, leader of a state? Hmmm... What about Dyne, his BFF? Or...whoever ran AVALANCHE in the prequel FF7 games as his mentor-turned-semi-legit? IOW I was sort of hoping to keep Barret around as a free agent.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

RogueIce wrote:
Agent Sorchus wrote:RogueIce in my 4th proposal there is a note for you.
I didn't have any major or immediate plans for him, maybe some kind of backstory (why we went for thorium reactors over carbon-based energy, for instance). That said, no reason he can't be international. So...tentative yes? I would like him available in some fashion but if he's been doing his eco-terror schtick that would fit with anything I would've used him for.

EDIT: Ah, leader of a state? Hmmm... What about Dyne, his BFF? Or...whoever ran AVALANCHE in the prequel FF7 games as his mentor-turned-semi-legit? IOW I was sort of hoping to keep Barret around as a free agent.
Yeah I can see some of that easily. Maybe he would be part of the international group that the local terrorists freely associate themselves with. I would like to then use: Dyne, Jessie, Shears and probably Shalua Rui.

Just don't want to step on any toes with this idea.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Just don't kill Jessie off and we're good. :razz: Maybe run her and possibly Rui by me? Not for permission or anything but just in case I have some bright idea for them - in which case I'll return the favor so we stay consistent.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Hey Thanas, I already slipped in a small line about involvement with the Eighty Years War. This on the assumption that Aurum cryptography experts would be in great demand, and their mercenaries though few in number are zealously trained, over-equipped and seriously fetishize force multipliers, and so would see action on both sides with minimal consequences.

I've thought better.

Want to have some resentment over Aurum engineering assistance going into the strategic bombers? Or Aurum's continued use of such warplanes as a deterrent?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Agent Sorchus wrote:*ideas*
All of them work well, but I like the 1st the most because it's so different from everything else. The 3rd and 4th are compelling as well; having a leader responsible for terror attacks against San Dorado-owned assets is interesting. Most San Doradan PMCs would have zero compunction about terrorbombing you right back to make you stop, but just how far they can go will of course depend on the circumstances and the details of the company's relationship and contract with the Greater Republic. So there's plenty potential for interesting and violent things to happen there.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

The Romulan Republic wrote:The Kingdom of Corona
Democratic constitutional monarchy
21,000 square miles
9 million people
498 years old
Temperate to cold climate
Environment similar to the west coast of Canada and Alaska
Plentiful metal, minerals, wood, and fish
Gets half its power from nuclear reactors. Also uses a lot of hydroelectric power
High deficit and debt
20% unemployment rate
Strong health care, welfare, and education programs
Small but well trained and well equipped military
Has a space program but no manned spacecraft
Dealing with a strong theocratic separatist group that sometimes uses violence

More information can be added later, but here are some basics. Thoughts?
What's the story? Where is your nation headed in the short term? what likely plot hooks are there for other players? Is there a underlying joke in there about mexican beer in a cold climate?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The Kingdom of Corona is dealing with poverty, debt, and a violent separatist movement. I'm thinking that a conservative party has just lost an election because of these problems. And the new president is a left wing atheist, which pisses off the theocratic separatists. There's not a civil war yet, but there may be one soon. Maybe some of you chaps will be interested in supporting the separatists.

I'll probably post a timeline revealing more of the country's history shortly. I'm still working on that.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ahriman238 wrote:Want to have some resentment over Aurum engineering assistance going into the strategic bombers? Or Aurum's continued use of such warplanes as a deterrent?
That would work, I could have a nutter fringe party going "Ceterum censeo Aurum esse delendam" but the main parties not thinking such a course of action wise.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

A (Preliminary) History of Fuso

[NOTE: Japanese names prior to the imposition of Cascadian rule use Eastern name order. Japanese names from the Cascadian period onwards use Western name order.]

Prior to 1527 - The Empire of Oyashima rules over the eight main islands that comprise modern-day Fuso and Nippon/Ostrheinland.

1527 - 1537 - The Onin War breaks out over a prolonged dispute over the line of succession to the imperial throne. The war ends with the imperial capital of Heian-kyo (modern-day Saikyo) in ruins and the last emperor dead without proclaiming a proper heir.

1527 - 1633 - The Sengoku Period. The daimyo of Oyashima fight over the territories of the old empire. During this time, Granadian explorers, traders, and missionaries start arriving in force.

1628 - 1633 - With the backing of the Granadians, the daimyo Oda Nobuna carves out her domain from the five islands of modern-day Fuso, her march of conquest culminating in the successful siege of the now-rebuilt Heian-kyo and the ousting of the daimyo sitting there.

1633 - 1642 - Oda Nobuna proclaims the Oda shogunate, though considerable resistance to her rule persists within her domain, and the three islands of modern-day Nippon/Ostrheinland outright refuse to recognize her authority. Trade with Granadia nevertheless flourishes, particularly when it comes to weapons; Christianity also speads throughout the islands, largely at Nobuna's urging out of a desire to curb the influence of recalcitrant Buddhist monks.

1642 - Oda Nobuna starts making preparations to conquer the remaining three islands of old Oyashima when she is betrayed by one of her own generals, Kago Sohaku, at Honno-ji temple near the shogunate capital, the rebuilt city of Heian-kyo. Surrounded by Sohaku's forces and facing impossible odds, Nobuna lights the temple on fire as a final act of defiance before committing suicide. Two Oda loyalist generals, Sagara Yoshiharu and Hide Yoshino, are busy dealing with an insurgency in another part of the shogunate when they receive word of Nobuna's death and Sohaku's betrayal. After making peace with the insurgents, Yoshiharu and Yoshino's combined forces confront Sohaku's army at the village of Yamazaki near Heian-kyo two weeks later; the traitors are routed after a brief battle, and Sohaku is killed during the retreat. Despite Nobuna not leaving a heir, any prolonged debate over succession is forestalled by the unprecedented move of Yoshiharu and Yoshino jointly declaring themselves as shogun.

1642 - 1650 - The newly proclaimed Sagara-Hide shogunate continues the policies of the old Oda shogunate as it moves to suppress any remaining resistance to shogunate rule. Complete control over the five islands is accomplished by 1650.

1652 - 1663 - Sagara Yoshiharu and Hide Yoshino honor the last wishes of Oda Nobuna by finally launching the long-awaited campaign to retake the remaining three islands of old Oyashima. In 1658, Yoshino dies while giving birth to her and Yoshiharu's son, Sagara Sanosuke. Despite his grief, Yoshiharu orders his forces to push on; their conquest is complete on Sanosuke's fifth birthday. All of old Oyashima is now united under the rule of the Sagara shogunate, but it will not last.

1671 - 1672 - The Shingai Rebellion (also known as the First Shingai War) breaks out in the three islands of Nippon but is personally put down by Sagara Yoshiharu. It is the first major revolt against shogunate rule since the reunification of Oyashima, but it will not be the last.

1676 - Sagara Yoshiharu dies after a prolonged illness, leaving Sagara Sanosuke as shogun.

1688 - 1689 - The Boshin Rebellion breaks out in the three islands of Nippon. Despite initial successes by shogunate forces, they are ultimately driven out of Nippon, which subsequently declares itself the Grand Empire of Nippon. The Granadians, already distrustful of the shogunate's ability to provide security for their merchants and missionaries, start moving large amounts of soldiers into the shogunate's remaining territory; the five islands of Fuso (las Islas de Fusang, as they are known to the Granadians) effectively become the last major colonial acquisition of Granadia, though complete control will not be solidified for several years due to increasing resistance on the part of the shogunate.

1691 - 1697 - Small-scale armed resistance against Granadian military rule in Fuso culminates in the Southwestern War. Despite initial successes by shogunate forces, they are eventually driven back by Granadian reinforcements and ultimately crushed at the Battle of Satsuma, where Sagara Sanosuke and several of his generals perish. With the death of Sanosuke, the remaining shogunate forces surrender to Granadia, and the Viceroyalty of Fusang is officially established; the capital is transferred from Heian-kyo to the city of Edo (modern-day Tokyo) shortly afterwards.

1763 - 1774 - The Granadian monarchy passes a number of increasingly onerous decrees governing commerce and taxation in the Viceroyalty of Fusang, much to the resentment of the natives and especially Granadian colonists that have come to value the relative degree of autonomy afforded to them in the Viceroyalty. Various revolutionary factions begin conspiring to end Granadian rule in Fuso.

1775 - 1783 - The Viceroyalty of Fusang is overthrown after a lengthy insurrection supported by the Britonians and Rheinlanders. Though the last Granadian loyalist forces surrender in 1781, an official peace treaty recognizing the de jure independence of the First Republic of Fuso (de facto independent since 1776) is not ratified until 1783; while there is a movement to move the capital back to Heian-kyo (now renamed Saikyo), the republican government chooses to remain in Edo (now renamed Tokyo). The loss of the Viceroyalty of Fusang is used as a rallying cry by the Carlists well into the 19th century.

1791 - A Carlist expedition sets out to take back Fuso for the Granadian crown, only to be beaten back by the First Republic during the Second Shingai War. After a series of embarassing defeats, the Carlist forces wisely decide to cut their losses and return to Granadia.

Mid-1800s - Despite Carlist revanchist agitation, Granadia finally recognizes the First Republic of Fuso as a sovereign nation and starts normalizing relationships.

1868 - 1874 - The Britonian and Nipponese governments, under the pretense of demanding repayment of loans made to the First Republic, blockade Fuso's major ports. The blockade quickly escalates to a full military occupation of Fuso by both Britonia and Nippon (with Nippon shouldering most of the burden), who manage to push back the republican army with relative ease. After taking the capital, both countries jointly proclaim the Empire of Fuso; a member of one of the cadet branches of the Imperial House of Nippon, Prince Kondo Isao, is appointed Emperor, though in practice, most power within this so-called "Empire" is exercised by a cabal of officers led by Imperial Nipponese Army General Hijikata Toshiro. While the Empire does have supporters among Fuso's population, particularly among the upper classes, significant resistance to imperial rule still remains; even so, some resistance groups, most notably the Kiheitai led by Takasugi Shinsuke, begin collaborating with the imperials.

1871 - Cascadia, distrustful of the ability of Britonian, Nipponese, and collaborationist authorities to provide adequate security for its interests in Fuso in light of repeated attacks by republican partisans, deploys the ironclad warship Olympia to Tokyo Bay. A week after its arrival in Tokyo Bay, Olympia explodes and sinks in what is believed to be an attack by Britonian and Nipponese agents; three-quarters of Olympia's crew perish in the explosion. Britonia and Nippon actively obstruct Cascadian efforts to investigate the sinking, further exacerbating the situation. The Cascadian press freely engages in yellow journalism regarding the situation in Fuso, fueling Cascadian animosity towards Britonia and Nippon even more. (Historical sidenote: A later investigation during the 20th century concludes that a coal bunker fire was the most likely cause of the Olympia explosion.)

1871 - 1874 - Cascadia declares war on Britonia and Nippon as a co-belligerent with Rheinland. Just as Britonia is unprepared to deal with Rheinland, Nippon is likewise unprepared to deal with Cascadia; the blockade of Fuso is quickly broken, and Cascadia begins landing increasing numbers of soldiers on Fuso to break the Nipponese and Britonian forces stationed there. The Fuso republicans, empowered by the breaking of the blockade and the influx of Cascadian personnel and materiel, redouble their efforts and stage increasingly daring attacks on the Nipponese, Britonians, and collaborationists, culminating in all-out assaults on Tokyo and other major cities. Tokyo is liberated shortly before Britonia and Nippon make a separate peace with Rheinland; General Hijikata and his cabal are all killed in action while attempting to organize the defense of Tokyo, while Prince Isao elects to commit suicide rather than surrender to the Cascadians and republicans. Britonia and Nippon make their own peace with Cascadia shortly after the liberation of Tokyo and the death of Prince Isao; as part of the peace terms, Fuso is ceded in its entirety to Cascadia as a protectorate, despite the vehement objections of the remnants of the First Republic's government. Any surviving collaborators are either executed, imprisoned within Fuso by the Cascadian military, or exiled to Nippon, depending on the severity of their crimes.

1874 - 1877 - The Fuso republicans, angered by what they perceive as Cascadia's betrayal, declare war on Cascadia. Recognizing their inferiority on the open battlefield, the republicans use guerrilla tactics against the Cascadians, intending to make the occupation untenable due to mounting casualties. The Cascadian military uses increasingly heavy-handed measures against Fuso's populace in retaliation, most notably internment camps; thousands of Fuso civilians die due to the poor conditions in these camps. Already depleted by their prior struggle against Britonia and Nippon and faced with the continuing suffering of the civilian population and increasing numbers of Cascadian reinforcements, the remaining Fuso republican leadership surrenders to Cascadia in 1877, though scattered resistance still persists on minor islands and in remote mountain and forest regions for another decade. After the official cessation of hostilities is declared, the Cascadian legislature passes the Fuso Organic Act, establishing a rudimentary framework for a new civilian government in Fuso organized along Cascadian lines; however, many positions in this new government, such as the executive office and the upper house (the Fuso Commission) of the new bicameral legislature, are appointed by Cascadia. The old political parties of the First Republic, the Nationalist (center-right) and Democratic Progressive (left) Parties, are reestablished.

1892 - The Cascadian legislature passes the Jones Law (officially the Fuso Autonomy Act), superceding the Fuso Organic Act. In addition to refining the structure of Fuso's government by creating a fully-elected Fuso legislature (replacing the Fuso Commission with the Fuso House of Councillors), the law contains the first formal and official declaration of Cascadia's commitment to grant independence to Fuso; however, the law provides only that independence will be granted to Fuso "as soon as a stable government can be established," which is left at the discretion of the Cascadian government.

1908 - 1914 - Cascadia, and by extension Fuso, largely stay out of the First Great World War.

1912 - 1913 - The Cascadian legislature first passes the Hare-Hawes-Cutting Act, the first attempt to establish a fixed timetable for Fuso independence. Despite being vetoed by the Cascadian president, the legislature overrides the veto. However, the Hare-Hawes-Cutting Act also requires ratification by the Fuso House of Councillors to go into effect; the House of Councillors roundly rejects the act and proposes a new bill, similar to the Hare-Hawes-Cutting Act but with significant changes.

1914 - The Tydings-McDuffie Act (officially the Fuso Independence Act), based on the suggestions put forth by the Fuso House of Councillors after the failure of the Hare-Hawes-Cutting Act, is passed by the Cascadian legislature and signed into law. Most notably, the act mandates Cascadian recognition of Fuso's independence as a sovereign nation within thirty years of enactment; in addition, it specifies a procedural framework for, within two years of enactment, the drafting of a constitution for the Commonwealth of Fuso, subject to the approval of the Cascadian president and Fuso's people.

1915 - The Fuso Constitutional Convention is convened, as per the provisions of the Fuso Independence Act.

1916 - The Fuso Constitution (hereafter referred to as the 1916 Constitution) is approved by the convention. The 1916 Constitution closely mirrors Cascadia's own constitution at the time of the convention, with several additional provisions regarding official languages. Within a month, it is approved by the Cascadian president; within another month, it is ratified by popular vote, thus officially proclaiming the creation of the Commonwealth of Fuso. Presidential elections are held in November of that year, with the next elections scheduled for 1920 and every four years afterwards; the President of the House of Councillors, Antonio Hernández de Carriedo of the Nationalist Party, wins the election, becoming the first President of the Commonwealth of Fuso.

1917 - 1925 - Antonio Hernández is inaugurated President in January 1917. He soon embarks on a quest to accelerate the course of industrialization in Fuso, which had been retarded by the chaos caused by the Britonian-Nipponese invasion and the subsequent imposition of Cascadian colonial rule. President Hernández also passes the National Defense Act of 1917, providing for the recreation of the Fuso Armed Forces; Rheinlander military advisers are brought in to assist their Cascadian colleagues in training the new Fuso military, and Fuso eventually becomes one of the first customers of the revitalized Rheinlander arms industry. Due to the success of his policies, he wins a second term in office, which he views as a mandate to further accelerate industrialization and rearmament. Satisfied with his accomplishments, President Hernández chooses not to run for a third term in 1924; his vice president, Juan Carlos Machado, handily wins the election and is inaugurated in January 1925.

1925 - 1933 - President Machado largely continues the policies of his predecessor, though he also sets his eyes on additional reforms in labor, education, and welfare. He is in the middle of establishing his planned social safety net when a worldwide economic crisis strikes shortly after he begins his second term in office. While his existing measures manage to ameliorate some of the damage done to Fuso's people and economy and forestall general unrest, he spends the rest of his term performing damage control; however, the popular perception is that his efforts do not come fast enough or strong enough to combat rising unemployment, and his policies of trade protectionism prove especially unpopular. Honoring the precedent set by President Hernandez (though largely out of shame for what he perceives as his failure to help the people of Fuso), President Machado chooses not to run for a third term; his vice president, Felix Vargas, loses the election to Leon Wang (Wang Jia Long) of the Democratic Progressive Party.

1933 - 1936 - President Wang quickly forces the rest of President Machado's planned labor and welfare acts into law via executive order, then embarks on an even more radical program to speed the recovery of Fuso's economy, living up to the name of his party. Among other measures, President Machado's social safety net is retooled and expanded considerably (largely using suggestions made by President Machado himself), massive public works programs are established, and various economic reforms are put into place in order to prevent a similar economic crisis from affecting Fuso in the future. President Wang is in the middle of campaigning for reelection when the Second Great World War breaks out in 1936. Unlike the First Great World War, however, Cascadia and Fuso are brought into the chaos.

1937 - 1941 - Nippon strikes against Fuso first by attempting a blockade, but with the bulk of the Imperial Nipponese Navy committed against the Kaiserliche Marine (and subsequently lost in the battle off the mouth of the Rhine River), the blockade is quickly dispersed by the nascent Fuso Commonwealth Navy, with assistance from the Cascadian Navy. Nippon attempts a second blockade after withdrawing its navy from the Rhine, with somewhat more success. Apart from attempts to disperse the blockade around Fuso, Fuso and Cascadia diligently avoid surface fleet engagements whenever possible, largely to conserve strength while they accelerate their respective shipbuilding programs. Both nations adopt a submarine campaign modeled after Rheinland's, also aimed at disrupting trade between Nippon, Britonia, and their allies; they also lend valuable logistic support to Rheinland submarines operating in the area, enabling them to carry out a truly global anti-shipping campaign. In response to the loss of surface convoys and escorts to the Nipponese and Britonian blockades, Cascadia and Fuso adopt the use of submarines to run supplies to and from Rheinland, with great success despite the relatively limited volume of cargo such craft can carry. President Wang is elected to an unprecedented third term in 1940.

1941 - 1944 - Confronted with the ultimate failure of the Fuso blockade, Nippon shifts towards a massive combined arms campaign with the intent of conquering Fuso. Strategic bombers strike at military and industrial centers within range, carrier battle groups strike at Fuso and Cascadian fleet anchorages, and large numbers of Nipponese soldiers land on Fuso's shores. Fuso and Cascadian forces are initially taken by surprise but quickly rally and retaliate, in turn revealing some of the weaknesses of Nippon's grand strategy. Nipponese aircraft achieve their great range at the expense of armor, making them extremely vulnerable to interceptors and anti-aircraft guns; the Nipponese strategic bombing offensive ceases within a few months of its inception due to lack of significant results and unacceptable loss rates among bomber and escort fighter crews. While Nippon's aircraft carriers are formidable weapons, they are few in number and difficult to replace considering the limitations of Nipponese heavy industry; the Imperial Nipponese Navy never quite recovers from the loss of four of its carriers to the Cascadian fleet near Hawaii, while Cascadia's own carrier armada grows by leaps and bounds. The Fuso-Cascadian sub campaign shifts towards disrupting relief convoys carrying men and materiel for the Nipponese ground forces in Fuso. Cut off from reinforcement and resupply, Nipponese forces in Fuso die nearly to the last man; out of roughly 300,000 soldiers deployed to Fuso, about 150,000 die in combat, and another 70,000 die of disease and malnutrition. Nippon largely abandons the war effort in Fuso in early 1944, only to throw away much of its remaining surface fleet against the Kaiserliche Marine in a futile bid to reinforce Britonia. President Wang decides not to run for reelection due to failing health (he eventually dies in 1952, shortly after Fuso independence); his vice president (and first cousin), Li Xiao Chun, wins the election.

1945 - 1952 - The last organized Nipponese resistance in Fuso surrenders around the same time President Li is inaugurated. Largely out of a desire for revenge, President Li proposes a large-scale bombing campaign against Nippon, to be conducted by the Cascadian and Fuso Commonwealth Air Forces. Within months of this proclamation, Cascadian and Fuso medium and heavy bombers begin attacking Nipponese naval yards, airfields, barracks, supply depots, and other military targets. Nippon retaliates with its own bombers, but at this point in the war, it is an empty gesture; the last remnants of Nippon's bomber force are shot down before they reach their targets. The bombings continue as Rheinland builds up its invasion forces and almost single-handedly sends the last remnants of Nippon's navy and merchant marine to the bottom of the sea; Fuso and Cascadia also make their own preparations alongside Rheinland to invade Nippon. In 1947, Rheinland, Fuso, and Cascadia all stage simultaneous assaults against the heartland of Nippon; Nippon's defeat is a foregone conclusion, even if it does take five years and large amounts of blood and treasure to get the job done on the ground at last. Fuso's independence from Cascadia, delayed by the war, is officially declared on 15 August 1952, with the Commonwealth giving way to the Second Republic. President Li declines reelection; Im Yong Soo of the Nationalist Party wins the Second Republic's first presidential elections.

1953 - 1961 - Many of the defining issues of President Im's administration concern the final disposition of Nippon after the Second Great World War. A direct reunification of Fuso and Nippon is rejected outright, as the costs of reconstruction and reintegration would surely bankrupt Fuso, even with the steady influx of economic aid from Cascadia and elsewhere; despite this, irredentist movements begin gaining influence in Fuso, and for the most part, they remain a significant force in Fuso politics even today. Concessions are nevertheless made to Fuso in the various treaties signed after the Second Great World War, largely at President Im's urging; what little materiel the former Nipponese military has left is handed over to Fuso as war reparations, large numbers of former Nipponese military officers and civilian officials are remanded to Fuso custody to be tried as war criminals, and a plethora of minor Nipponese territories are signed over to Fuso administration. General satisfaction with these concessions allows President Im to win reelection in 1956; he spends his second term focusing on reconstruction and internal reforms, as well as putting down upstart Communist and National Populist movements. With the Communist and National Populist insurgencies largely suppressed by 1960 and all of his other goals in office accomplished, President Im declines reelection to a third term. Horatio Wang, nephew of Leon Wang, wins the 1960 presidential election on the ticket of the Liberal Democratic Party, a newly-formed center-left party comprised of dissidents from the Nationalist and Democratic Progressive Parties.

1961 - 1965 - As opposed to the administration of his famous uncle, the administration of the younger President Wang is largely unremarkable. He has the dubious distinction of being the first president in the Commonwealth/Second Republic era to serve only one term; he is soundly defeated by Fernanda Marcos (no relation to Granadian despot Francisco Marcos), a founding member of the LDP who defected back to the Nationalist Party.

1965 - 1973 - To this day, Fernanda Marcos remains one of the most divisive figures in Fuso's history. However, the first term of her presidency starts off relatively innocuous; her crowning achievement during this period is a sweeping expansion and reform of the Commonwealth-era social safety net, modeled after contemporary welfare legislation in Cascadia and Rheinland. She handily wins reelection to a second term, during which she embarks on a massive military and law enforcement buildup, ostensibly in response to a sudden resurgence in Communist and National Populist activity. A series of terrorist attacks by the Communists in 1970 cause President Marcos to impose a broad range of security restrictions on Fuso's populace, though she stops short of an outright declaration of martial law, deeming it unnecessary. The most severe of these restrictions are lifted in 1971, but the general framework of a police state still exists, and President Marcos retains the authority to revive these measures at her own discretion. During the 1972 campaign season, a number of notable Second Great World War veterans, most notably Colonel (ret.) Mio Sakamoto of the famed Fuso Commonwealth Air Force's 501st Tactical Fighter Wing, publicly claim of the existence of a plot by zaibatsu and chaebol executives and other Second Great World War veterans to create a National Populist-aligned veterans' organization and use it to stage a coup against President Marcos. The exposure of this plot, combined with another series of terrorist attacks by both Communist and National Populist groups before and after the elections, is what finally drives President Marcos to declare martial law as her first act after being inaugurated for her third term in office.

1973 - 1981 - Shortly after the declaration of martial law, Colonel Sakamoto and the other veterans involved in exposing the "Business Plot," as it is dubbed by the media, are called in to testify before the House of Representatives and House of Councillors regarding the plot; their collective testimony implicates, among a great many others, members of the influential Kirijo, Ohtori, and Togami families, who control many industries within Fuso. On the final day of the legislative committees called to hear the veterans' testimony, a National Populist terror cell attacks the legislative building in a thinly-veiled bid to silence the veterans; Colonel Sakamoto sustains severe injuries while trying to fight off her attackers, who ultimately fail to assassinate any of their targets before they are put down. Public outrage over the attempted assassination of Colonel Sakamoto and her comrades leads to increased support for martial law and the further discrediting of the Communists and National Populists. The Kirijo, Ohtori, and Togami zaibatsu all take the brunt of punishment in the aftermath of the legislature attacks, though other zaibatsu and chaebol are subject to personnel purges and reorganization. The rest of President Marcos' third term, while relatively peaceful, is characterized by a significant economic slump secondary to the forced reorganization of many of Fuso's corporations. With President Marcos confident that all credible threats to her rule are neutralized, martial law is gradually lifted throughout 1974-1975, disappearing completely just prior to the 1976 presidential elections. President Marcos narrowly wins a fourth(!) term in office, which she spends mending the damage her purges of the zaibatsu and chaebol have done to Fuso's economy, while dealing with the occasional lone nutter who didn't get the memo that Communism and National Populism in Fuso are practically dead; all told, she survives at least three separate assassination attempts during her time in office. Content with her lengthy tenure in office, President Marcos declines reelection; her old nemesis in the opposition, Councillor Benita Aquino-Cojuangco of the Democratic Progressive Party, wins the 1980 presidential elections.

1981 - 1989 - President Cojuangco presides over a period of continued economic and military growth for Fuso. GDP largely returns to pre-Business Plot levels during her first term in office, and the modernization of Fuso's armed forces is largely complete by the end of her second term.
Last edited by Shinn Langley Soryu on 2014-05-10 08:09pm, edited 4 times in total.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Nice timeline, Shinn.

Regarding the 1871-1874 war, I would say that Granadia would be backing Cascadia and Fuso, more out of animosity towards Britonia and Nippon than any love towards the Cascadians and the Fuso republicans.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I like as well, it keeps Cascadia from having too clean a past. I would add that by the time the "keep the colony" political sway is broken, Cascadia would likely become supportive of Fuso industrialization, especially since it ensures Fuso can defend itself against Nippon.

I would like it if we can all get together and use our various plans for this period to conceive of a definitive "World Wars" period, mixing Thanas' 80 years war with other concepts. Given how the map is shaping up, I'm beginning to think that the Atlantic and Pacific analogues may be closer in the north, perhaps with an "ocean" like the Indian linking them along the northern coasts of some central continent (definitely one where Omnia and San Dorado are located) while Rheinland, Britonia, and Granadia are to the northwest while Fuso and Ostrheinland are to the northeast, among other countries.

BTW, does anyone want to share a continent with me? We'll merge our desired country appearances to make said continent, maybe throw in some small NPCs (buffer states along some areas, maybe?), etc? Since I intend to face toward the "Pacific", this would be someone facing to the east and thus to the "Atlantic" and countries like Rheinland.

Also, so that players who want an "English" background can be flexible, I want to propose an NPC (or not if someone embraces the idea) of Anglia; essentially the "foundation" point of English cultures in the world, including Britonia and the northern Cascadians.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think Anglia is pretty unnecessary, we have former Britonia which for most of its history was probably the premier colonizer/merchant mariner.

BTW, I think if necessary I can abandon the idea of Rheinland being a continent of its own and have it be more an amalgation of central Europe. Granadia would probably be bordering Rheinland on the southern frontier then with other nations (like probably Finn's state if he ever decides to play) to the east. It would necessitate a rewriting of the society (especially the surviving percentages as the north would be far heavier hit then) and history but might work.

This would be a last ditch effort as it would force me to rewrite my concept and playing time to something resembling the Franco-GreaterGermyn alliance under Saenger from SDNW3, but it is nothing that cannot be done. If players would prefer that then I offer to do so.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I think the issue is that almost everyone talked or showed maps of being their own island. But I'm already stating I will have neighbors, preferably including PCs.

If anything, what if you only had land neighbors on your northeast, the Arcadians perhaps? Going by the write-up they've been divided enough they wouldn't have done much to change what you've got established. Britonia is to your west/southwest, right?

And if enough people agree to be on continents, well, you did give one of the first major writeups, a "first come first serve" order would work in letting you have the undisputed island-subcontinent idea.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I'm continetal. Kinda have to be given the entire country is a flood plain and estuary :)
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

My nation can easily be a part of a continent. Plus I've got enough issues internally to worry much about what other nations are doing so pretty much anything could pop up next to me.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Then I would propose we decide who wants to border whom.

I wish to be a Pacific-facing western-coast power, with neighbors to my east and southeast.

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Steve wrote:I think the issue is that almost everyone talked or showed maps of being their own island. But I'm already stating I will have neighbors, preferably including PCs.

If anything, what if you only had land neighbors on your northeast, the Arcadians perhaps? Going by the write-up they've been divided enough they wouldn't have done much to change what you've got established. Britonia is to your west/southwest, right?

And if enough people agree to be on continents, well, you did give one of the first major writeups, a "first come first serve" order would work in letting you have the undisputed island-subcontinent idea.
Arcadia could certainly fit there if needed, if Thanas is okay with that.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Let me finish a map of my visualized Rheinland - should be done in a few hours when I got more time first.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Okay, done.

This is how I envision Rheinland currently (Ostrheinland not shown). Warning: Huge image.
http://i.imgur.com/u6V9vOl.jpg
Before anybody asks, black denotes heavily urbanized areas.
EDIT: YEllow is the subtropical Südrheinland (South Rheinland), imagine it a bit like Italy.
Thick blue denotes ocean-going shipping. Obviously that is the River Rhein.

I could do neighbours to the east or further Islands south.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Thanas wrote:I think Anglia is pretty unnecessary, we have former Britonia which for most of its history was probably the premier colonizer/merchant mariner.
I wholeheartedly agree. Adding an NPC just to explain why multiple English cultured nations are around is unnecessary. It's the same as every planet in the Stargate universe speaking English: it does not strictly make sense, but let's not burden ourselves with such issues if we don't have to.
madd0ct0r wrote:I'm continetal. Kinda have to be given the entire country is a flood plain and estuary :)
It might be interesting for your nation to be on the same continent as San Dorado and the Omnian Empire (the orientalist empire NPC Steve introduced). He and I have hashed out some (very basic) ideas concerning the ties between those two states; having Champa in the same geographic region would in my opinion be a very interesting ingredient to the dynamic. Throw in some additional basket case states and it'd be a place for interesting times.

That is, if you don't mind sharing a region with us :).
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Siege wrote:
Agent Sorchus wrote:*ideas*
All of them work well, but I like the 1st the most because it's so different from everything else. The 3rd and 4th are compelling as well; having a leader responsible for terror attacks against San Dorado-owned assets is interesting. Most San Doradan PMCs would have zero compunction about terrorbombing you right back to make you stop, but just how far they can go will of course depend on the circumstances and the details of the company's relationship and contract with the Greater Republic. So there's plenty potential for interesting and violent things to happen there.
Did you read my post? The Cocaine Wars seem like exactly the sort of thing your 19th century guys would have gotten involved in. I can change that bit if you like, though.

Also, I envision something like what you're describing with Sorchus having happened during the rise of the Technocrats in Umeria. The "Guerilla Accountability Vanguard" is the organization that later evolved into the Umerian secret police, and they had considerable grudges against San Doradan firms involved in colonialist exploitation of the country by the time the 1940s rolled around.
Steve wrote:I would like it if we can all get together and use our various plans for this period to conceive of a definitive "World Wars" period, mixing Thanas' 80 years war with other concepts. Given how the map is shaping up, I'm beginning to think that the Atlantic and Pacific analogues may be closer in the north, perhaps with an "ocean" like the Indian linking them along the northern coasts of some central continent (definitely one where Omnia and San Dorado are located) while Rheinland, Britonia, and Granadia are to the northwest while Fuso and Ostrheinland are to the northeast, among other countries.

BTW, does anyone want to share a continent with me? We'll merge our desired country appearances to make said continent, maybe throw in some small NPCs (buffer states along some areas, maybe?), etc? Since I intend to face toward the "Pacific", this would be someone facing to the east and thus to the "Atlantic" and countries like Rheinland.
I explicitly didn't draw a map. I don't much care what the shape of my nation's landform is; it's the people and culture that interest me, not the geography. So just draw a large wiggly blob on a map, and I'll take it. :)

I definitely want to share a continent with some people, but I'm unsure whether being on the eequivalent of the Eastern Seaboard of the Atlantic would be appropriate given Umeria's backstory.

Maybe I could be on the same continent as Omnia and San Dorado? I'd have to be a fair distance from San Dorado, though. Could bump up against Champa without problems, though they'd probably get ancy around Umeria's nuclear reactors.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I imagined I'd put you as the eastern extent of what I will now call the Omnian-Umerian Continent - it will effectively be Asia.

Thanas' continent can be in the North Atlantic, roughly. Another Europe-style continent as well, perhaps linked by land to the Omnia-Umeria continent, but where Russia would be in this visualization I'd like to have a Northern Ocean; not entirely Arctic, more like a northern counterpart of the Indian Ocean if not as "wide" north-south, which would easily explain the Nipponese-Britonian alliance and its effectiveness.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

@Seige
Additional basket cases states? Why Champa is a very modern and progressive, upwardly mobile country. We're constantly seeking higher ground you know,

I wrote it up as an ex-Dreisgrond colony, but perhaps that was an area they carved off the Omnians? (much like Bengal by the East India Company?) Culturally Champa and Omnia are close enough to be 'same but different' so that would fit.

That puts me as neighbours to the two of you, linked back to Dreisgrond and through flood disaster relief possibly Isla Aurum. On that occasion (if Ahriaman accepts it), the Champa would have been working cheek by jowl with the Dreisgrond. I wonder how that turned out?
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Steve wrote:Then I would propose we decide who wants to border whom.

I wish to be a Pacific-facing western-coast power, with neighbors to my east and southeast.
I'd be fine being off to your southeast.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan