Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Modern World STGOD Concept

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:Hm.

Do we want Thanas's long war with quasi-Britain to have been against a PC state, or not?
Given that the war ended with a total conquest, I suggest not. :wink:

Though they could have been a huge colonizer - colonies which Rheinland then jettisoned as too expensive or just not worth investing in, what with the country being devestated.

EDIT:
Siege wrote:I'd ask people to consider being a little less island-heavy. There's nothing wrong with island nations, but we want some player-populated continents as well.
Sure, I could turn into a continental nation, though it might necessitate some changes to my nation. From a player perspective, I''d rather not have to worry about the eastern/southern border like I had in SDNW3 with players dropping off the mat and then suddenly mobilizing a huge army at the south.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I'm currently thinking something along the lines of:
Democratic People's Republic of x

Geography:
Large peninsula separated from the rest of the continent by a mountain range. A central plateau is extensively mined. Equatorwards of the mainland, near equatorial, exists a pair of large islands, the remnants of their imperial time. Those islands were subjugated sufficiently long ago that they are considered a part of the Republic, not just a colony. Open ocean east of islands for decent distance. Two major islands generally known by the names "North Island" and "South Island"

Short History:
1600-1700s - Imperial period. Fairly successful. Monarchial at this point of history.
mid-1700s - end of imperial period. War w/ another imperial power went badly. Lost 3 fleets in battle, ending ability to maintain empire.
mid-late-1700s - civil war, death of royal family, rise of republic
late-1800s - turn toward authoritarianism
mid-1900s - separatist movement becomes active in islands

Culturally:
State protects the people. The wealthy (mostly aristocrats from previous royalist period), have effectively captured the organs of state. Although nominally democratic, only the aristocracy or their minions have effective power. Island separatist movement is both a reaction to authoritarianism of the state, and a cause thereof. Population generally castigates criminals; ironic due to high prison population.

Government:
Nominally democratic republic. Authoritarian Oligarchy in reality. Oligarchy is large enough in size to present trappings of democracy (regular enough turnover in leadership, etc).

Issues:
Separatists - mostly unsuccessful, as they lack support. Occassionally carry out acts of terror (bombings, mass shootings, etc), which only really serve to lose them support, and strengthen the power of the state.
Economic - oligarchy is fairly successful at crushing or coopting competitors through regulations or economic clout as appropriate. High corruption in the highest levels.
High prison population - Due to increasing use of strict liability laws, etc, to control populace.

Military:
Ground Force - with only land border effectively guarded with mountains, the army has declined in funding and strength. Largely a defensive force.

Sea Force - dominates funding. As most approaches are by sea, considered vital to defense.

Sky Force - part of the sea force. operates carrier, land, and float aviation

Looking for:
name?

country to have lost to

--

random notes:
two monsoons a year isn't possible. Monsoons require a large landmass that can strongly cool during the winter (dry season), and warm during the summer (wet season)

Britonia can't have been completely lost to history, as listed in the geographical description of the Rhineland. The 80 year war wasn't so long ago that it'd be out of living memory even.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Beowulf wrote:Britonia can't have been completely lost to history, as listed in the geographical description of the Rhineland. The 80 year war wasn't so long ago that it'd be out of living memory even.
Britonia is now named Westrheinland. Their colonies could have been jettisoned after Rheinland victory though.

EDIT: Alsoe there could have been a similar nation called Anglia or whatever not located next to Rheinland in the past who fulfilled that role.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Beowulf wrote:two monsoons a year isn't possible. Monsoons require a large landmass that can strongly cool during the winter (dry season), and warm during the summer (wet season)
Weather of Singapore wrote:Singapore has two main seasons, the Northeast Monsoon (December to March) and the Southwest Monsoon season (May to September), separated by two relatively shorter inter-monsoon periods. Although there are no distinct wet or dry periods, the mean monthly rainfall shows drier weather conditions from May to July and wetter conditions in the months from November to January.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Changed the reference to San Dorado in the writeup.
------------
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Hm.

Do we want Thanas's long war with quasi-Britain to have been against a PC state, or not?
Given that the war ended with a total conquest, I suggest not. :wink:
Missed that detail.
Though they could have been a huge colonizer - colonies which Rheinland then jettisoned as too expensive or just not worth investing in, what with the country being devestated.
Yeah, that would help explain a lot of decolonization. Also how some countries could decolonize without being thrown into utter chaos; the Rheinlanders oversaw an orderly dissolution of the colonial regime rather than the whole thing being managed by a revolutionary cadre full of bloodyminded idiots. More like, say, India, and less like Zimbabwe.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Siege wrote:
Beowulf wrote:two monsoons a year isn't possible. Monsoons require a large landmass that can strongly cool during the winter (dry season), and warm during the summer (wet season)
Weather of Singapore wrote:Singapore has two main seasons, the Northeast Monsoon (December to March) and the Southwest Monsoon season (May to September), separated by two relatively shorter inter-monsoon periods. Although there are no distinct wet or dry periods, the mean monthly rainfall shows drier weather conditions from May to July and wetter conditions in the months from November to January.
Somewhat different definitions of Monsoon between the two. Your writeup implies 2 wet seasons and 2 dry seasons per year.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Much as I dislike arguing over imaginary weather patterns, my writeup says nothing about dry seasons. It states outright that a handful of 'dry spell' weeks are the only thing close to distinct seasons San Dorado knows.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Can this please not descend into a weather discussion on an imaginary planet? I mean, really, it is not as if Siege derives some sort of benefit from having two monsoon seasons, like "NOBODY CAN ATTACK ME EVER".
------------
------------
My LPs
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Simon_Jester wrote:You just want to use all those pretty flowery airliner pictures. :D
I want to reuse the layout and mindset that has already been developed. The pictures are just a bonus. :P
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Re-reading Thanas's history for Rheinland, regarding the section mentioning Chancellor Meier, I can't help but think of Hermann Göring and his infamous boast.

"If an enemy bomber crosses the Ruhr, my name is not Hermann Göring. You can call me Meier."
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That was intentional. There are lots of references in the history, see if you can spot it all if you got nothing else to do.

Oh, and obviously Meier is not Göring redux, I just found it fitting to use that one for heavy strategic bombing being unleashed upon somebody being totally unprepared for it.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Yeah, with everyone going for islands I will probably go for a continent, if anything we can just kitbash the western third of North America into another continental body.

Thanas, it might be more interesting for us all to turn Rhineland's conflicts into part of a series of greater World Wars, at least the WWI and WWII-era fights. Rhinelanders might consider it an 80 year war because of their circumstances while the rest of the world's narrative splits them into separate wars.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, Rheinland calls it that as an analogue of the OTL Thirty Year's war, what with several conflicts seperated by years of peace. Other nations would probably call it a series of seperate wars (which might be how historians would phrase it as well) regardless.

In any case, what specifically did you have in mind? (Like I said, I am not that attached to particular details).
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Namely, make them part of the WWI and WWII analogues. Cascadia having to fight Nippon off to protect its own colonies (what became Shinn's country), for instance. Having Britonia and Nippon being members of this world's version of the Axis, as you've already set up, we'd just have to throw in other "axis" states.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Does there have to be an axis?

As for Cascadia and her colonies, sure, though what does that mean for the war in itself? Were Cascadia and Rheinland allies in the war? TBH I had kinda envisioned the war mainly being between the three powers because otherwise there is no chance of Britonia fighting an eighty years war that would not end in a stomp after a few years given the population levels and war potential.

I mean, I think it might be better if other players would formulate their history first and then we put the pieces together, but right now I don't even know my neighbours - if I have any -, where the colonies are, what the world map looks like etc.
------------
------------
My LPs
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Brief description of Granadia

Official Name: Granadian State

Geography: Think the Iberian Peninsula, that is the climate of Spain and Portugal. Granadia proper is basically Spain, Portugal, Andorra and Gibraltar joined together (let's say I took Not-Gibraltar from the old Britonians). Granadia also possesses some islands out at sea, being analogues of the Balearics, the Canaries, the Azores, and Madeira. I might add Not-Ceuta and Not-Melilla as well.

History:

pre-1500s- Era of Division, multiple kingdoms jostle for control of the Granadian Peninsula. Omnian holdings in Peninsula progressively reduced until their final expulsion in 1492.
1500s- Unification of Granadian realms by the marriage of the monarchs of the two strongest kingdoms.
1500-1600s - Age of Voyages, Granadian explorers encounter many lands by sea that had not been known before. Beginnings of Granadian imperialism.
1600-1700s - Golden Age of Granadia. Granadian Empire reaches its height. Successful wars against other colonial powers.
early 1700s - Beginning of The Decline. Last Francian King of Granadia dies without a heir. War of the Granadian Succession. Triumph of the Hausburgs. Britonia seizes the small peninsula of Jilbratar.
mid-1700s - Major wars with other imperial powers saps Granadian resources heavily (even in wars where Granadia is victorious) and leads to the loss of some colonies. Unrest at home due to deteriorating conditions leads to an increasingly centralized, absolutist monarchy and progressive loss of ancient feudal privileges. Reforms to improve efficiency of old mercantile economy have mixed success, benefiting Granadian coffers but increasing dissent in the colonies.
late-1700s - The Viceroyalty of Fusang explodes in rebellion, and with the help of Rheinland and Britonia achieves its independence. Granadian recognition is not given until the mid-1800s. In anger at this loss and what they perceive to be the tyranny of the king, nobles from Lesitania, Vasquia, and Catalania rise in revolt in defense of their old fueros and proclaim the traditionalist Charles of Hausburg, brother of Raúl III, as king, starting the first of the Carlist Wars. The Carlists are defeated just before the Peninsular War, but are never stamped out completely, further outbreaks of Carlist uprisings continuing sporadically until the late 1800s. From then on the Carlists will be largely a political movement, of heavily traditionalist sentiment, backing conservative forces during the Granadian Civil War.
early-1800s - Peninsular War. Granadia enters the Great Francian War, or rather, is forced to due to a massive Francian invasion led by Napoleonus I Bonapartum, Emperor of Francia. The activities of the Granadian partisans, the famous guerrillas, as well as fanatical resistance from the Granadian Army, ties down many thousands of Francian troops. At the same time, the disaffected Granadian colonies rebel and declare their independence without Granadia being able to do anything about it, and is forced to accept the situation as a fait accompli. The Rheinlander invasion of Francia and the death of Napoleonus in battle ends the war. Granadian recovery takes decades.
mid-1800s - Recovery from the Peninsular War is largely completed, in spite of further outbreaks of Carlist revolts, and Granadia undergoes a dramatic wave of industrialization due to imports of Rheinlandian technology and internal reforms facilitating the changes. First socialist groups and workers' unions start to appear. Agitation against the monarchy is dealt with severely by the Inquisition. Granadia reconciles with its former colonies and liberalizes trade with them.
1860s - Reign of King Manuel II the Long-Lived begins in 1850. Start of Granadian Silver Age. He accelerates the pace of Granadian industrialization and begins a major overhaul of the military. In an attempt to deal with the grievances of the proletariat and the peasantry, the King supports measures to protect the industrial worker and the peasants, though they fall short due to recalcitrance from the nobility and the factory owners. Granadia remains neutral in the first phase of the Rhenlander Eighty Years War due to its relative weakness, but provides Rheinland resources and "volunteers" in a expression of support. The same policy is followed with the war in Fuso, due to fear of further Britonian and Nipponese aggrandizement.
early-1900s - Manuel II dies in 1900, succeeded by Juan X, who continues his policies. By now Grenadia has grown increasingly powerful, having created a new colonial empire in the interval (at the expense of the Omnians and the Umerians), a large industrial infrastructure, and a strong military. Politically, it is the age of Turnismo, in which the Liberal and Conservative parties exchanged control of the government (which was first chosen by the King) at regular intervals in an attempt to minimize political instability. The flaws in such a system were that it prevented other parties from achieving victory, didn't take into account divisions within both "official" parties and couldn't deal with the increased mobilization of sectors of the electorate. Nevertheless, disaffection is held to a minimum due to economic prosperity, but good times don't always last. The start of the First Great World War in 1908 is generally dated as the end of Granadia's Silver Age.
1908-1914 - First Great World War. Granadia enters on the side of Rheinland. Granadian Armada sails to fight Britonian Navy, only to face heavy losses in punishing naval battles such as at Trafalgar and the Orkneys. Horrors of trench warfare gradually sap troop morale, while the strain of fighting a total war stretches Granadian industry and society to the breaking point, not helped by the increasing effects of the Britonian-Nipponese blockade from 1912 onwards.
1914 - Worker's strikes, food riots and military mutinies combine to cause the June Revolution. The Hausburgs are overthrown and forced into exile. Proclamation of the Republic.
1914-1920 - Granadian Civil War, loss of second colonial empire. First appearance of the National Populists.
1920 - Peace of Palmaria, exhaustion of all main combatants leads to compromise peace and the creation of a Republic.
1920s - The Ominous Decade. The post-Civil War economic depression fuels radical movements from left to right. Rise of National Populism under Miguel Salazar.
1930-1933 - Final destabilization of the Republican system due to economic crisis, National Populists gain more and more support.
1933 - The Pronunciamiento of 1933 leads to the triumph of the National Populists, ending the Republic.
1933-1936 - La Coordinación, Miguel Salazar and National Populists gradually consolidate control of the State and install a totalitarian dictatorship
1936 - July Plot of conservative generals to overthrow National Populists is discovered, major purge of the military and rest of society snuffs out anti-NatPol sentiment. Dissidents flee overseas or go underground. Salazar proclaims himself Mariscal-Caudillo and announces First Four-Year Plan to reconstruct and expand Granadian industry as well as to achieve autarky. Massive military build-up begins in response to start of the Second Great World War
1936-1952 - Second Great World War. Granadia enters the war in 1940 but with its own agenda. Proclaiming the Reconquista, Salazar attempts to regain the second colonial empire lost during the Civil War. Jilbratar recovered from Britonia after three-month siege. Granadian troops invade Omnian and Umerian territories it once owned, taking advantage of the distraction offered by the main Rheinland-Britonian-Nipponese-Cascadian contest. As tide of war turns in favor of Rheinland and its allies, Granadia tries to curry favor with them in order to retain at least some of its conquests, but without much success. Omnian and Umerian forces push back the heavily outnumbered Granadians from the reconquered territories in bloody battles. By the end of the war only a few enclaves remain of the once-proud Granadian Empire.
1956 - Death of Salazar, succeeded by Francisco Marcos.
1980 - Death of Marcos, succeeded by Augusto Videla.
1991 - Los Santos Square Massacre
2014 - Videla's 84th birthday

Society: State and population organized under strict corporationist concepts, heavily regimented and highly militarized. Pervasive security services, large number of informants. Separatist movements in Lesitania, Vasquia and Catalania agitate for autonomy or independence. Low-key socialist insurgency in the north. Profound religiosity in the population despite the State being officially secular.

Government: National Populist totalitarian regime. There are no elections and all changes in high government posts must be arranged by the Mariscal-Caudillo. Growing corruption in recent decades.

Issues:
-Terrorism caused by minority groups or radical socialists on the rise as economic conditions deteriorate.
-Stagnant economy, aging infrastructure, dated technological base.

Military:

Army - Large and well-trained, but equipment is increasingly in need in replacement. Morale of troops is becoming spotty and their reliability for internal security is no longer taken for granted.
Navy - Large size and diverse, but in need of modernization. Increasing problems with discipline.
Air Force - Numerically potent, but qualitatively obsolescent. Not enough pilots due to problems with training schools.
Last edited by Force Lord on 2014-05-08 09:39am, edited 2 times in total.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm not sure where Arcadia would have stood on that war yet honestly.

Incidentally, if we get too many islands and not enough continental powers it would be simple enough to change 'four islands' to 'four nations' and still maintain the core of the state.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Granadia would have been firmly on Rheinland's side during the 1908-1914 conflict.

The final phase may be more uncertain, since Granadia's gone full National Populist by then.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

The Kingdom of Hawai'i

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

(The Life of the Land is perpetuated in Righteousness)

The Kingdom of Hawai'i (officially the Kingdoms of Hawai'i and Samoa), is an island nation located in the central (insert ocean here) basin. The nation is made up of one main island chain (the Hawai'ian), one secondary (Samoa), and several minor island groups (such as the Line islands).

Broadest of History outlines:
  • ~2000 Years before game start: Initial conolization of the islands by Polynesian explorers. Due to distances involved, there is very little contact between the Hawai'ians and others over the next 1800 years
  • ~1790: Initial contact with the outside world via a Cook-Analog
  • ~1810: Unification of the Islands under King Kamehameha I. He will live until 1820, and establish the first dynasty (1810-1870)
  • 1830-1880: Missionary Period. Extensive impact of foreign missionaries on the religion & culture of the islands.
  • 1872-1875: Second Dynasty.
  • 1876-1917: Third Dynasty
  • ~1890: First Sovereignty crisis. A series of minor uprisings and one abortive coup left the monarchy on rough standing and closed off relations with at least one of the major powers.
  • 1910: Second Sovereignty Crisis saw the addition and integration of Samoa into the nation
  • ~1920: The fully integrated Kingdom in it's current form (both social, religious, and governmental) is reached.
  • 1917: Fourth Dynasty established.
Population:
The majority of the population is located on O'ahu, with over 2 million people. The Islands of Maui and Hawai'i each have over half a million, with the remaining islands adding up to between three fourths and a full million. The population is ethnically very diverse with intermarriage seen as the norm.

Economy:
The basis of the Hawai'ian economy is trade - the central location allows for easy transit to many other nations. the installation of nuclear power in the 1970s allowed for the addition of aluminum processing facilities on the island of Moloka'i and some of the only heavy industry on the islands. The main long term economic issues on the islands is how to deal with the needs for certain energy imports (natural gas), and some food imports (only about 2 million people total can be supported internally on the main islands out of a population that is in excess of 3 million).

Transit:
Personal vehicle ownership is widespread. All major islands (Hawai'i, Maui, Moloka'i, O'ahu, Kauai, & Savai'i) have heavy rail networks with daily passenger service that links with the inter-island nodes and local transport (trolley buses & light rail). Interlinks between the islands are by air (Hawai'ian Airlines [the national flag carrier], Aloha Airlines, Island Air, Samoa Air) or by ship (Royal Hawaiian Steamship Company). In addition to ferry service RHSC provides international cargo and passenger links by ship.

Military:
The Royal Hawai'ian Air Force and Navy are the primary military branches, with a defense policy of delaying any incursion long enough for outside assistance to be rendered. [Orbat is in progress]

Government:
The Kingdom is a hereditary Constitutional Monarchy with a bicameral legislature. The Capital building, the Royal Palace ('Iolani Palace), and the Court building (Aliʻiōlani Hale) are located in Downtown Honolulu.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The really notable parts of earlier Umerian history in a nutshell. No names, just description. I'll work on names later:

(16??-1850) or so
Age of imperial complacency. Massive infrastructure programs, advanced pre-industrial economy. Scholar-bureaucrat class flourishes under the reign of an imperial dynasty kept as ignorant and luxury-besotted as possible, so as to ensure the scholar-bureaucrats are actually running everything.

(1850 or so)-1877
Age of colonialism. Various musket-and-steam foreign powers with a higher technology than the arquebus-and-waterwheel level dominant in Umeria carve concessions out of the coastal regions and secure lucrative trading contracts for prized goods. The North by Southwest Umeria Company based out of San Dorado makes a killing selling drugs in coastal provinces in exchange for silver and highly bred Umerian teas, causing the Cocaine Wars. The Umerian imperials lose the War on Drugs. Hard.

Exotic cocaine-fueled religious movements rampage through the country,* causing sheer bloody chaos, which further enables the colonialists.

*To quote General Widespread, greatest and most batshit of the cocaine warlords,

Heaven brings forth innumerable things to nurture man.
Man has nothing good with which to recompense Heaven.
The spirits and gods are knowing, so reflect on this and examine yourselves.
Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill.

1877-(1910±10)

Scholar-bureaucrats finally persuade the Imperial government to begin permitting structural reforms, ruing the day they made it impossible for anyone but court eunuchs to converse meaningfully with the Emperor. Volunteers to explain key policy modifications are in short supply.

Modern-ish arsenals and early horse-drawn railways are set up throughout the country as part of the "Self-Bulking-Up Movement." Armies equipped with modern-ish weapons are sent out into the countryside, destroying most of the fanatic hordes. General Widespread and his legions are destroyed by the largest barrage of shotgun fire in recorded history at the Battle of the Hundred Thousand Machetes.

The Umerian Empire succeeds in controlling the distribution of cocaine, messianic religious literature, and other noxious drugs through the hinterland. The state begins to recover its former strength and dignity... only to be ignominously slapped down again by foreigners, who have now advanced from the steam-and-musket era to the electricity-and-rifle era. Peasantry begins to seriously reconsider this whole 'empire' notion; scholar-bureaucrats unsure what to think.

(1910±10)-(1925±5)

The Republican Revolution overthrows the empire, hurls the eunuchs into the sea, and institutes a democracy led by a coalition radicalized urban workers and deeply confused small farmers. The scholar-bureaucrats, being the only ones who know how double-entry bookkeeping works or how to design an irrigation canal, remain in operation under new and trigger-happy management.

Proposals to modernize the Umerian Republic fall afoul of serious deficiency such as mass illiteracy, the grip of rural landlords, lack of laborers competent to operate modern machinery, and systematic misrepresentation of agricultural yields in order to avoid being guillotined. Republican leadership attempts a reasoned, phased approach and is guillotined by radical Republican leadership, which attempts to resolve the issue with more guillotines.

Scholar-bureaucrats continue trying to keep government in some semblance of operation, but under more dangerous working conditions.

(1925±5)-1940

The Republican government dissolves into its constituent warlords. Foreign invasions, domestic civil wars, and general banditry and chaos rampant.

Scholar-bureaucrats continue trying to keep government in some semblance of operation, under staggeringly dangerous working conditions, under actively and proudly illiterate overlords. Rates of hypertension, baldness, and lead poisoning among clerks rise to unprecedented levels.

1935-47

Scholar-bureaucrats form the 'technocrat' conspiracy, aimed at the final overthrow of all other power blocs within the Umerian state, having concluded that no one other than themselves is competent to administrate their way out of a paper bag.

Warlords find their logistics increasingly tangled, their payrolls ever harder to meet, and their supplies of Britonian, Doradan, and Grenadian weapons growing sparser.

Beginning of the "Papery War," at first waged between Umerian accountants and Doradan arms dealers. Casualties are light for most of the '30s, but escalate quickly with the formation of the Guerilla Accountability Vanguard in February 1941.

Able-bodied young men from the scholarly classes are trained covertly in the fine points of such mathematically refined disciplines as artillery, the operational art, artillery, martial chemistry, and more artillery. They are then pitted against the troops of the warlords. Examinations are competitive, and ruthlessly pass-fail.

Technocracy of Umeria declared after the capital of the last surviving warlord coalition is obliterated in a storm of high explosive and gas shells from the Technocrats' 107-millimeter field guns.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I have several minor states that have rough drafts so far, however they need neighbors and I'm not going to do long intricate back-stories for several small states. Hopefully some of it will be obvious.

Proposal 1
The Patron Democracy of Wimstry
Government: Patrons of the arts culture and philosophy are the only ones allowed to vote or be voted into power, since as patrons they have demonstrated social responsibility. There are two houses of government, the lower one allows more minor patrons and as such caters to the upper middle class rather then the elite like the upper house does. The constitution does give the poor voting rights over additions or edits to the constitution, but in general they are disenfranchised.

Economy: Primarily Tourism and Entertainment with secondary focus on construction and banking. The union of construction workers is one of the few places of power for the common folk since the Artist Architects need them to complete their art.

Military: the military is pretty weak with what little focus being in the air-force (who has some of the nicest paint jobs in the world.)

National Character: the stereotype is a bunch of useless poets. In general the populace is slightly unhappy, but proud of their art and culture. They are also taught quite well how to be critics even if more industrial skills are uncommon in the country.

Proposal #2
Presidential republic of _________

Unfortunately this concept requires it to be set in a location where despite being pretty small it's economy is dominated by providing access to other parts of a greater continent by being at the mouth of a river or having a major port or mountain pass.

And it needs neighbors that are alright with that.

Proposal #3
Triumvirate Dictatorship

The remains of a 80year war era/ communist greater dictatorship. The core of the nation remains under the Triumvirate since they convincingly control a handful of nuclear devices. The dictators use some democratic assemblies that are under there thumbs to delegate some aspects of their government. These assembly's are usually temporary though, with the exception of the system of justice is a "permanent" assembly that the Dictators stack with proper Gentlemen Judges that support the regime.

Currently the undercurrent of the populace are waiting, convinced that the trio are going to try and make this a singular dictatorship. They hope that would create an opening to seize the nation for themselves. The dictators individually would love to rule, however they aren't themselves convinced of their own individual capacity to rule. This is cause they all look up to their predecessor a Tito like character of quality.

Military and Economy go hand in hand here: a command economy with Industrialists that are courted by the three dictators for personal support, with a decently sized military of semi modern make. They do export any sort of military item, though not super modern stuff, they will also contract out to maintain anything.

Proposal #4 & NPC as 5
4 The Revolutionary council of ______
5 The Greater (old) Republic of ______

4 is a newly successful revolutionary council that formed from the greater republic that used to be the dictatorship from proposal 3. 5 is a npc (unless a player likes the idea) that was the bulk of the post dictatorship until the regional separatists broke off.

The rebels also look up to the prosperity of the Tito-alike dictator, and felt that the greater republic wasn't trying hard enough to get back to the prosperity years of the dictator. Currently the councils biggest issue is that they have many members that are labeled terrorists by many of the major nations.

For instance I was thinking of having one of the leaders be behind a major bombing campaign versus San Dorado based resource exploitation projects in the Greater old republic. RogueIce I would like to use Barret from FF7 (or one of his cronies) in this role.

They would have a decently large if eccentric military (maybe even using Mechs depending on the silliness level) but with a very rotten industry that probably will not support the military. Obviously the nation is going to take a lot of rebuilding but is a place that by itself would have enough going on to write plenty of stories about.

I'll keep adding to this list (and refining some of the ideas) as time permits in edits. (Yeah mobile keyboard suck.)

EDIT: Thats it for now, I'd refine them more but would prefer to get feedback first. Also if it wasn't apparent I don't want all of the nations to be in the same geological locale so that I could write with people even if the majority of my nation-ettes end up with people who are inactive as neighbors.
Last edited by Agent Sorchus on 2014-05-06 11:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The last one could be one of the transit cities on the Rhein, but would require a) the name changed to something more German-sounding like Quedlinburg and b) The city not trading in military goods and being essentially unarmed except for police. In return Rheinland would obviously provide a security guarantee as long as there are no acts of aggressions against other nations.

I'd envision about seven -10 major ports or harbours on Rheinland proper, one of them could easily be an independent swiss-like city of sorts.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The Kingdom of Corona
Democratic constitutional monarchy
21,000 square miles
9 million people
498 years old
Temperate to cold climate
Environment similar to the west coast of Canada and Alaska
Plentiful metal, minerals, wood, and fish
Gets half its power from nuclear reactors. Also uses a lot of hydroelectric power
High deficit and debt
20% unemployment rate
Strong health care, welfare, and education programs
Small but well trained and well equipped military
Has a space program but no manned spacecraft
Dealing with a strong theocratic separatist group that sometimes uses violence

More information can be added later, but here are some basics. Thoughts?
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Thanas wrote:The last one proposal #2 could be one of the transit cities on the Rhein, but would require a) the name changed to something more German-sounding like Quedlinburg and b) The city not trading in military goods and being essentially unarmed except for police. In return Rheinland would obviously provide a security guarantee as long as there are no acts of aggressions against other nations.

I'd envision about seven -10 major ports or harbours on Rheinland proper, one of them could easily be an independent swiss-like city of sorts.
The issue I have is that I don't want to A) be limited to using this nation to only interact with one nation, and B) this is the only of my nation-ettes that could reasonably have a navy. The earlier Q was meant to be a placeholder since mobile keyboards suck. All the names but the first are temporary at the moment till the nations find locations.
Siege wrote:I'd ask people to consider being a little less island-heavy. There's nothing wrong with island nations, but we want some player-populated continents as well.
No Islands yet here. But yeah I would prefer some continental powers so my smaller nations make more sense. Like if I went with Thanas' proposal above there would be a minor state right in the middle of a highly militant state that is quite imperialist in mindset. Yeah I question the likelihood of them having stayed independent long in that environment. Same if I put a minor nation near or on an Island with the majority of these proposed nations. A singular minor state would've most likely been swallowed up a long time ago. Whereas with the more nations there are on a landmass the easier it is for the minor states to survive. (In my opinion anyway. others may disagree.)

RogueIce in my 4th proposal there is a note for you.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton