SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've been unable to write anything but my fanfics lately...I'm still working on something, I guess I just need a kick in the butt to get posting. I think I'll work on the GENETIC ENGINEERING Dragon's meeting the Actual Dragons that Jub is working on.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'm working on a post. I started earlier today and then went out to buy a new bike because I saw that they were on sale for prices I didn't want to pass up.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Yeah, I have the treaty thing with the Kryptonians to do but I've been putting that off in favor of the Fallout fic, which should be updated somewhat soon.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

I'd of started 'mandate of ethics' by now. Except I lost the planning document when my computer nose dived, can't quite remember enough to reconstruct a coherent plotline yet. Working on it though. Beyond Mandate of Ethics, Waiting on White Haven and waiting on writers block.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

My post is up. I haven't written anything in ages so I hope it's decent.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Its good. Not all posts need to be overly long after all (case in point...my first story post with the Hindentanic incident). Though D-11 is reasonably close to Arcadian territory...I could have a meeting with the Dragon's if you want.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Sounds good to me. Just don't expect Regithress to be at her most diplomatic right now.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Eh, the Arcadian's have Vikings as neighbors...they are used to angry people. Though a Dragon would be different. I should have something up tomorrow if all goes well.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Sounds cool to me.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Oooh. Irate dragon.

Poor guy, he's going to be stranded for months... Optimistically, weeks- Heim drive at top speed is something like a week or two per light year. Could be a lot shorter with a distress call, though.

Thanks, Jub.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Or the Space Swedes may stumble across them. We are the nearest power other than the Dragons themselves after all. I am still hopeful of getting a meeting post up tomorrow though.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'm interested to see where the story goes. I didn't write it with anything in mind other than the fact that their could be a coup if they get stranded for too long.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

But you also happen to be next to the only other power in the Galaxy with Dragons running around (granted they are genetically engineered), so that leads to interesting things.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

That just makes life even more fun.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Oooh. Alienoids!

And refreshingly casual attitude toward random stuff coming in from outer space; your guys seem pretty cool about that, Imperial. The Umerians' appallingly casual attitude toward security among Type Four citizens would mesh well.

Also, do remember that you're currently having messages beamed at you by Eleventh Century Remnant's von Neumann machines. And, heck, your empire is probably close enough to see the infrared from their Dyson spheres; you might want to go "hey waitaminute" about them sooner rather than later. My guys are already getting into contact with their breakaway faction in February.

NOTE:

Again, the game runs on GODDAMNED UNREAL TIME; the fact that I'm writing something in February does not mean other things that happen in January can't be posted. Although if everyone's posting "timeless" things that don't hinge on other players' actions in the immediate past, we may as well just declare the 'game time' to be February 3400.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Oooh. Alienoids!

And refreshingly casual attitude toward random stuff coming in from outer space; your guys seem pretty cool about that, Imperial. The Umerians' appallingly casual attitude toward security among Type Four citizens would mesh well.
Yeah. It's also easy to be cool about new people when you've lived with the same five people, alone, for over six months on the control station of a mining facility.

Simon_Jester wrote:Also, do remember that you're currently having messages beamed at you by Eleventh Century Remnant's von Neumann machines. And, heck, your empire is probably close enough to see the infrared from their Dyson spheres; you might want to go "hey waitaminute" about them sooner rather than later. My guys are already getting into contact with their breakaway faction in February.
What do you think the "not a rock" error was? :D (I admit, it's rather subtle and unrelated, at least it will be until I get the second post up)
Simon_Jester wrote:NOTE:

Again, the game runs on GODDAMNED UNREAL TIME; the fact that I'm writing something in February does not mean other things that happen in January can't be posted. Although if everyone's posting "timeless" things that don't hinge on other players' actions in the immediate past, we may as well just declare the 'game time' to be February 3400.
Most RPs I've played in follow a sort of "We'll Figure It Out Later Time" where we've had as many as six or seven different timelines that need to be reconciled before we can all move on. Mostly this happens because someone goes inactive for a summer and everyone else keeps playing regardless. 'Cept for that one guy who went to Australia and one of the super moderators ate him. True story.

However, I intend to keep up with the time on this one, unreal it may be. Come to think of it, I bet there's a clock expressed in i somewhere. Probably being shipped to an eccentric by a crab space-truck.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Neat.

Also, hah, "not a rock" error. That was so subtle I just didn't catch it, but I see what you did there.

At least you're doing better than the PLoInc scanner array that mistook my SCIENCE! vessel for a small dwarf star with unexpected metal anomalies attached...
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Sorry I didn't post when I meant to. I started College on Monday, so I haven't had as much time to type as I would like. I'm hoping to get the post with the Dragons, and a post with that country Simon made (the one next to the VIKINGS) done by Friday if all goes well though.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Updated my nation information and I should be putting up a new story post sometime tomorrow. The Drax have finally taken a first tenative step towards 'terraforming'.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Speaking of new posts...College is taking up a lot more time than I thought it would (coupled with my fanfics which are the writing priority) so its taking me a LOT longer than I thought to get another post.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

No worries. Though I do look forward to seeing what the space vikings think of the dragons.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Skywalker, I suspect college won't be so bad once you've gotten into the swing of it- although it depends on the person and the major. Most of the time it was easy enough for me that I had a lot of free time; you may not have the same experience.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, I'll probably have enough free time. Just not used to it yet which is probably part of the problem.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Unification is coming.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well...I hate to say it...but I think SDNW5 may have died...I'll admit that I should have posted something by now myself, but writers block coupled with College life bludgeoning me like a lead pipe...yeah...sorry about that.

Seeing this...I've recently gotten into RPing over on TFN, and I was wondering, Simon, if you were okay with me trying to transplant an SDNW 4/5 style game over there. I'm asking since you're the most recent mod, and I think that (once I get more time/my muse cooperates again) it could take off over there. Of course, that's assuming there is interest in this style of game over there.

(Also, should I be off base on this game being deader than a doornail, Arcadia can be revived...I can still write, though it isn't easy)

EDIT: Of course it would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY dumbed down, since strategy (which this is once the combat gets tossed in) is not popular there. And it might be a mix of this with earlier incarnations (like having you play as the leader of your country as a main character).

*goes off to think about it*