SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Of course the Umerians don't have any stealth cutters. Nor do they have Space Swedes as the Chefs...bork, bork... :P

(You'll have to have read Das Thanasboot in the gaming forum to get that joke)
Arcadian chefs are not located on stealth cutters. Even if Umeria had any stealth cutters, cutters typically have crews of about six. It would require a larger vessel to justify keeping a chef... which the Umerians don't have any more than they have stealth cutters. :D
'Of course our chefs aren't on Umerian ships, they don't need us after all' (Arcadian)

'You aren't very convincing...' (Furling)

'Quiet you!' (Arcadian)

In any case, I can hopefully get a SPACE VIKING prologue up soon. The next Arcadian post is a while off since I'm working with Rabid on the continuation of the last one.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm planning to send a message to your Arcadians, but I want to finish my nation description first.

By the way, I may be moving later this week, and I don't know how long it'll take them to ship my computer, so if I'm slow to reply to things, that might be why. Apologies in advance.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay then, send it whenever you're ready.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

KhorneFlakes wrote:It is fortunate that the Arcadians or the Umerians don't have giant caterpillar-centipedes as chefs however. That would be... awkward. I'm not even sure what dishes a giant caterpillar-centipede would serve, anyway. Probably nothing no unmodified human could hope to stomach, and even a GM superhuman might have trouble stomaching it anyway.
[makes notes to call in his evil opposite with the psychic frogs]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Because I got bored at work and decided to try to make something interesting. I dunno, think of it as a preview for now.

An absolute monarchy located towards the fringest of Relevant Space, the Kingdom of Neverwhen is a strange and twisted empire of beautiful nightmares. To the outside observer, their worlds are almost idyllic, quaint in their ways, seemingly profoundly ignorant of the mysteries of science. There is a charm to the worlds that's only spoiled by those foolish enough to scratch away the glamour and expose the truth.

Chanting madmen dart in and out of reality, stepping from shadow to shadow appearing only to skewer armoured soldiers on blades of eldritch ur-metal. The ground itself rises up to march on cities while the sky rains shards of burning ice. Floating temples encased in magical spheres drift through the cosmos on the changing currents of the wyrd, spreading the gospel of their leader with words of power and glamour.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Vanas wrote:Chanting madmen dart in and out of reality, stepping from shadow to shadow appearing only to skewer armoured soldiers on blades of eldritch ur-metal. The ground itself rises up to march on cities while the sky rains shards of burning ice. Floating temples encased in magical spheres drift through the cosmos on the changing currents of the wyrd, spreading the gospel of their leader with words of power and glamour.
I wonder if you've read the Downfall storyline of SDNW4. Sounds like a typical day in the Eye of Terror Occularis Terribilis...
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Not in the slightest. I'm actively avoiding SDNW4 to avoid stealing stuff.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've only given a very cursory glance through the SDNW4 stuff personally. I'm not worried about stealing things, but I want to learn how my neighbors will act from SDNW5 stuff, not the older things. More fun that way. :P
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

I am not going to read hundreds of pages of a game I didn't participate in... :P
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

A reminder, although I haven't been persistent in it:

Cerna is still left with an open trade route. We are surplus producers of cybernetics, analog watches, digital watches, spring powered digital watches, battery powered analog watches, and things that in general keep you from breaking when hitting hard surfaces at high velocities. We are also famous producers of immune-enhancing and life prolonging devices.*
Any of the above can be combined. Although we won't put a watch in your wrist. It's just too much trouble.**

*Note: These devices are not guaranteed to work against the following: Gun shot wounds, dick-stabbings, thermonuclear explosions, general horseplay, nerd rage induced strokes, diamond-related organ failure (Old Spice Man or no Old Spice Man), being a member of PETA, probing from the Grays, depression resulting from Umerian psychologists' denials of said probing, infomercials, and small-scale acts of chaotic evil.
**Wrists are complex, you know. And we really don't like having to print out liability wavers. Now, you might be unable to find a certain fictitious Ork who would not be perfectly fine doing such an operation who isn't running a somewhat shady non-existent clinic that definitely isn't found in sector U3. But you didn't hear that from us. And if the anyone asks, it was the swamp gas that told you. If the Grays ask, it was the Umerians.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I'd be down to take and reciprocate that trade route Imperial. We make fine miniature goods and complex cheese related products.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

No one is being asked to read SDNW4.

Some SDNW4 story posts are, in my own opinion, still funny, entertaining, and occasionally shroomy. But the OOC threads aren't worth bothering with.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Dark Hellion wrote:I'd be down to take and reciprocate that trade route Imperial. We make fine miniature goods and complex cheese related products.
A pleasure to do business with you.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Personally I only read some small parts of SDNW4, but that's just me wanting to get a basis in how these games work. I wouldn't suggest anyone read the whole thing, since I'm not even reading the whole thing. That would be a lot of work you know. :wink:

Also, I'm still debating on if I should keep my last GDP boost or turn it into another trade route. I probably won't considering I don't think there is anyone left who can send one back my way. But if there is someone left with their own TR, well...if you want high-quality Furling Arcadian* ship parts just ask and I might be willing to trade in my GDP boost for one.

*Note, these ship-parts are not guaranteed to work all the time. The Grays ('Swamp Gas!!') have a depressing tendency to mess around with the electronic parts for example. And God help you if the TC Old Spice Guy gets near your ships. But other than that they are the best ship parts in the galaxy! :D
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In my opinion, most of SDNW4 is fun to read. But doing it is, yes- it's like the idea of doing an archive trawl of a major webcomic, or maybe more so: it's a big commitment of time.

If you want to follow individual storylines, we do have that index thread for SDNW4.

Hm, I think I need to talk to the real mods about de-stickying some of the SDNW4 threads, and possibly stickying the applicable SDNW5 ones.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Simon_Jester wrote:In my opinion, most of SDNW4 is fun to read. But doing it is, yes- it's like the idea of doing an archive trawl of a major webcomic, or maybe more so: it's a big commitment of time.

If you want to follow individual storylines, we do have that index thread for SDNW4.
And even then, most of us stopped updating the index, so looking for some of the later storylines (the MEH Stomp and Downfall in their entirety both come to mind) may take a bit more effort for anyone seeking to do an archive trawl.

ImageImageImage
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh I'm not denying that it is fun to read. Just that it would be a lot of stuff to trawl through. Even with the index. But hey, its still fun to read, and the index does help in finding the specific storylines. (except for the later stuff)

And a reminder, if anyone has an unassigned Trade Route, I am willing to part with one of my GDP boosts to make it a reciprocal TR.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:In my opinion, most of SDNW4 is fun to read. But doing it is, yes- it's like the idea of doing an archive trawl of a major webcomic, or maybe more so: it's a big commitment of time.

And even then, most of us stopped updating the index, so looking for some of the later storylines (the MEH Stomp and Downfall in their entirety both come to mind) may take a bit more effort for anyone seeking to do an archive trawl.
This could still be fixed if anyone cared to.

Although it's still true, I know.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

A quick heads up...I should have another prologue post up later today if all goes well on my end. It will be about the Furling Empire though, so other than filling in backstory it won't really have much of an effect on the game. Unless I do something truly wacky with their fall, which may or may not happen. :wink:

(Also, I'm going to use the idea that Akhlut came up with back on page 41 of the last thread. Said post being here http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... start=1000, just to make it easier to find. And a warning to Panzer and Akhlut, I will be using both Bastians and Grays in this post (not much though) since it relates to the FE's fall.)
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

For collaborative pieces, or just times when you need to run a post by someone before throwing it up, I can't possibly overstate how useful Google Docs can be. Write things up, share it over to your counterpart, let them look at it and/or edit and/or add their own passages. Works like a charm.

As an added bonus, having all my SDNW4 stuff in Google Docs made my ENG-111 journal assignment hilarious cake. Open google doc, print the requisite number of pages, staple, hand in.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...that can be helpful when I actually get around to making another collaborative post (working with Rabid on one now, but we've already handled it over PM). As for the FE post I'm working on, when I say it involves the Bastians and Grays, I mean as NPCs. The post is going to focus on the Furling POV, and won't have any talking parts from the other two. Just the Grays wrecking the Furling Fleet trying to get at the Bastians. But if the consensus is that I should wait before posting (to get the other two in on it), I'll go ahead and do that.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Not so much telling you to wait as saying that it can be a great way to get pre-post insights from relevant people if there's any doubt as to your characterizations of their nations. Pointing out a great tool and the uses thereof, that's all. :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

I'd prefer using google docs or dropbox personally, as my PM box is quickly becoming quite full. It also really make it easier to collaborate on a common work.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay then, I think I already have a profile on Google but I'd have to check. I'll edit in the account name once that is handled.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

I can definitely vouch for the utility of Google Docs in these games; without it, I probably wouldn't have been able to make my contributions to Downfall.

In any case, I have an idea for a collaborative piece: The drafting and signing of the Anti-Cenintern Pact. Skywalker and OmegaChief may need to modify their posts in the diplomacy thread, because with the way things are, Arcadia and the Authority are gonna wind up being the two High Contracting States alongside the Holy Empire in this pact.

ImageImageImage