SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by Esquire »

For your reading pleasure: One (1) itemized military procurement report.

... Crap. That's basically what I do for work, but with less spaceships and more office supplies.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Umm...Esquire...its 3300 not 3001. Unless your dating system is different.

That being said, I'll have my own post in that thread done tomorrow if all goes well. And we shall continue the saga of proving that the Furlings are not the comedic relief of Arcadia and are actually an independent nation.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Nonsense! Just because you people have a Year 0 doesn't mean us sensible Hellenes do. 0 isn't a number, you see - just ask Euclid.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If they don't have a number zero, why do they have a decimal number system with zeroes? Or is that just translation convention?

Also, I demand to know what, in the Hellene calendar, it is 3001 years SINCE. :D
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

If your people do not appreciate their native calender, why not adopt the Civilized method of reconing the date and recognize that this is the Five Hundred and Seventy Ninth year of the Imperial Era?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Elysian kicks over table, insists that it is in fact 4154 AUC]
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

*Will insist on marking dates Chamarran Common Era to add to the confusion*
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

*Furlings insist on their own calendar too*

*Arcadian's could care less*
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Awww man, the Capellan calander isn't even in four digits yet, they're going to feel all inferior now.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

*The Cernans, not to be outdone, point out their use of four different calendars. Earth Standard/Galactic Standard, Castorian Standard (Approximately year 900), Cernan Adjusted (Castorian, but with almost 200 years taken off from the start date), and Universal Standard Measure (Scientific only. To approximate, estimate current age of universe in Planck time. It is tradition to work this out on a napkin, no exceptions.)*
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The New Furling Empire Era (NFEE...weird acrhonym...) calendar is only at year 300, so the Capellans shouldn't feel that bad about it. Though the OLD Furling Empire got to 7k or so years...
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Chamarran common era is a calendar that isn't even in triple digits. Though it's the second calendar, the former chamarran common era is now called the chamarran exile era calendar and dates events prior to their return to known space.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My construction is up now...did I botch anything? Or is it good?

Also, its at 7% GDP since I have to expand to rebuild the Furling Navy/Army, plus get ships out to the new station.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Suits me. But in future, please actually list the cost of the ship class, not just the aggregate cost: example:

6x250pt Ion Battlecruisers
1500$

The exact format doesn't matter, but the information should be there.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh...right...forgot that. I'll go in and edit that now. Thanks for pointing that out...don't want confusion here.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Simon_Jester wrote:If they don't have a number zero, why do they have a decimal number system with zeroes? Or is that just translation convention?

Also, I demand to know what, in the Hellene calendar, it is 3001 years SINCE. :D
It is indeed a translation convention - real Hellene numerology is done in Zeus' Own Base-60, where zeroes represent the absence of any real number rather than being a number themselves, but I didn't feel like doing that much work. Therefore, the Hellenic calendar stands at 3001 ASSEDI, or the 3001th year After Something Somebody Else Deemed Important. We switched to the galactic-standard calendar, yes, but that doesn't mean we like it.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

And there's a bit more about the insurgency in Frourio Sector (Q-23, if you prefer). Framing device included free of charge!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So, who's stuck on not-DS9? Is this turning into one of those Massive Collaboration Logjams? I can tell you from experience that if you're relying on a googledoc with several authors, nothing gets done.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm working on it, but its not that I'm stuck on. More my Stargate story sapping all my ideas. I can say several people who aren't involved in it though...Shep, Zor, Lonestar, Force Lord, Scottish Ninja, Cad (is he even still here?), etc. I think there are more people who aren't involved than are.

As for who is involved...myself, Omega, Vanas, Dark, Esquire, and Klavo.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Hey, I'm still working on other things and have kept making posts at my usual rate, you can even expect another story up by the end of the month that's totally unrelated!

Though if Skywalker wants I do have another collabterative piece with him we were working on before the station distracted us that we could also do.

Sorry for being a bit of a slow writer in general though.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I don't think being a slow writer is a problem personally. I just happen to be insanely fast myself when I can actually focus on one thing...which sadly hasn't been Arcadia lately. That's the one downside to how fast I work...I am horrible at multi-tasking.

And if I remember correctly that collab was the Arcadian/Capellan First Contact correct? I'm a little busy right now, and if I'm reading your post right Omega you have a post nearly done...why don't we finish what we're working on right now and move onto that other collab after that...deal?
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Sure, just throwing stuff out there like I always do.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I've been generally ill and feeling crappy recently. As soon as I'm able to concentrate long enough to get something done, it'll be done.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Get well soon, bee-man.

[plays "Little Bees"]
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

I am back... with a new post!