SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by Karmic Knight »

Force Lord wrote:Then it's time to be indirect....
Here we go Datton, Here We Go! *Clap-Clap*
Here we go Datton, Here We Go! *Clap-Clap*
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Arcadian: Did you see something? I think someone's watching our new station...

Furling: Oh really...

Arcadian: Yeah! Someone must want to take it!

Furling: *facepalm*
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If it's Datton, things are gonna get interesting.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

It is the Datton hah, sneaking around that close to the Authorties homeworld too, this gets better and better.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I wonder what it is about this Station that attracts so many people?

Its probably nothing! :P
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

It's the snowball effect, you put a new miltiary base on the doorstep of a couple of nations, so they send thier ships there to keep you honest as it was.

The next nearest people notice a lot of activty about it so send thier own people to poke it, while at the same time the active rivalries between the various people you're next to result in them bringing in allies too.

So yea, it all adds up, though we are waiting on you to get the ball rolling here :P
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah I know. I should have the beginning of the chapter up in a couple hours. I'll have to improvise for the Chamarrans and BEES but that's no big deal.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

I'll give Vanas and Dark a poke once the ball gets rolling, so they should be able to contribute then, but work with what we have until then.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Bees are mostly there to keep an eye on Bee assets. After all, they don't want their ships getting shot up in the inevitable crossfire.

They're sending a lot of ships. Mostly beacuse half of them are just there out of curiosity and will putter back to Bee space when they're bored. The actual composition of any stationed Bee fleet is essentially random, depending on which ships feel like heading all the way out there.

As for what they're planning on doing, well. They're setting up a banking area with their power suits and setting up their diplomatic quarters in an attractive horrifying beehive fashion.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

...Ok...so its taking longer than I thought it would to get my first part done. I promise it will be done within the hour though, and I'll edit this post when I do manage to get it into the Google-doc...
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Clusterfuck Station seems to be a little -too- blatant of a ripoff of DS9 at the moment, if you ask me, the references were laid on thicker than frosting on a wedding cake.

Nonetheless, Klavostan will be in for a small piece of the action...
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Actually, I went back and edited some of the things (Namely the Furling and Hellene names). I'm working on fixing the prologue, and starting the first story one at the same time...hence why its taking so much time. They will both be up somewhat soon though (the new one, and the fixed old one)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Also, who in their right mind would want a pet veldtchomper? They're ill-tempered, passive-aggressive, and their most lovable habit is hiding in the bushes until they randomly jump out and bite your leg off.

Then again, this is probably the best pet ever for Datton.
KlavoHunter wrote:Clusterfuck Station seems to be a little -too- blatant of a ripoff of DS9 at the moment, if you ask me, the references were laid on thicker than frosting on a wedding cake.
Whatever makes people happy. We'll straighten things out over time.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

I'm not flipping the table and going "ARGH THROW IT ALL OUT", certainly. :)
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay, the first part is finally up in the google-doc. Anyone who has a stake in the station can start inserting their own parts now. Its going to be hectic...but that's what makes it so fun! :D
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Okay, the first part is finally up in the google-doc. Anyone who has a stake in the station can start inserting their own parts now. Its going to be hectic...but that's what makes it so fun! :D
Oops. Did I jump the gun by posting what I just did?

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Nah, we can just edit it in later easily enough. No big deal that you went ahead and posted something.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Guys, I woke up this morning to find an SMS from Simon Jester, and he's going to be offline for at least a few days - something about no power.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ouch...hopefully its nothing worse than a power problem. Well, we can work without our resident almost-mod for a few days, right guys?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I live on the eastern seaboard of the US, and have been caught up in the general mass power outages caused by the recent storm which you may have heard of in the news. In my particular case it may be several days before power is restored and my Internet access becomes regular.

Also, starting this Monday I will be working during the day and will probably not be able to access then- but that's the normal course of business and won't stop me from at least checking in on what people are doing in the evenings.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I had the same problem, but mine came back on this morning. I hope things get back to normal quickly for you, Simon.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Bleh, having a little problem in getting things together for that station post. Will try to get something sorted in the next couple of days.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Finally have power again- but there's that work stuff. I haven't got anything at the moment. :(
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Which isn't really any different than all of us working on the station apparently. At least its getting people involved though.

EDIT: Though I haven't helped that by my post being small...maybe I should write more? And I suppose that my fellow station writers may be working outside the google-doc.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm.

You need to spend less energy collaborating and more on doing stuff. Eight-way collaborations don't really work unless there are clear lines of responsibility that divide the work into solo or few-way pieces. So what you should do is (for instance) write a post talking about the construction work, or about prefab modules being flown in, or an existing station being appropriated or whatever. Someone writes that. Someone else writes about their guys showing up and finding out that nobody installed Space Toilets in their hab module yet or whatever. Someone else writes about, you get the idea.

And just POST these things, so they're out there in the public eye, instead of trying to store it all up in a Googledoc. Having all your creativity pent up in this isolated place is bad. Having it out in the open is good. You don't need massive 5000-word 10-way-collaboration monster posts to do this. Short and silly is probably better because it encourages back-and-froth.

(That was meant as back-and-forth, but I think it works this way too).