SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Post by Simon_Jester »

...Touché.

It still sounds less awkward to me than "The UISC." "America" is four syllables, but people still use it in place of "USA" or "the USA" more often than not when actually talking about the country.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Panzersharkcat wrote:Thinking about it, the timeline for that doesn't quite work out. Assuming 3000 AD or so is when we're starting off, the incorporation of the Bastians 3400 to 3600 years ago would be too far ahead for them to influence Egyptian mythology too much. I suppose they could just be assumed to be emissaries of Bastet rather than the source of Bastet worship itself. Doesn't quite hit the recursive naming of the species but close enough.
It wouldn't have worked in the present, either, Panzer. Bastet-worship has been documented as far back as 3000 BC. For your 3600 year old empire to have been the origins of that Egyptian goddess, we'd have to place game start shortly after the fall of Rome.

Why not just stretch your own timeline farther back into history? I'm sure the Greys won't complain.
I originally went for ten thousand years but that seemed a bit slow. I suppose I could handwave it by saying they focused more on biotech stuff until they ran into the Greys. That finally forced them to move beyond conventional chemically-propelled cartridges and primitive forms of Gauss weapons that aren't much of an improvement because the high grade biological weapons the Neithian Union at that point were heavily reliant on weren't quite up to the task. Something like that.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Simon: Yeah, we can move Arcadia closer to the rest of the nations. I just put it way out in the middle of nowhere so I could get a shape worked out without trampling on other people. I want to keep said shape though...so maybe H12 as the center (center being the equivalent to H7 in the old one). The other choice would be Q13 as the H7 equivalent. That keeps me close to both Sol and the Holy Empire.
Karmic Knight plans to move his Commonwealth to around the Q13 area (his central sector will be in Q14), so if you still want to get close to Sol and the Holy Empire, you could try J13 as an alternate center for Arcadia. This has the added benefit of still allowing Crossroads to get next to Arcadia.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah I noticed...either way, J12 is only two squares/sectors across from my first choice at H12 anyway. Not much point in moving two over...unless I want slightly (very slightly) less travel time.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Panzersharkcat wrote:I originally went for ten thousand years but that seemed a bit slow. I suppose I could handwave it by saying they focused more on biotech stuff until they ran into the Greys. That finally forced them to move beyond conventional chemically-propelled cartridges and primitive forms of Gauss weapons that aren't much of an improvement because the high grade biological weapons the Neithian Union at that point were heavily reliant on weren't quite up to the task. Something like that.
OK, well work it out with the other guys. I advise a degree of flexibility.

One point: details of Earth history may be... made deliberately inaccurate. If you want to keep up a pretense that the Egyptians didn't actually have a cat-headed goddess until 1000 BC or whatever, I'm not going to argue it. If Akhlut wants there to really have been a Roswell crash when (by all evidence) there was not, that's fine with me. If aliens were mind-controlling Ghengis Khan and saved his brain... well, that's pretty special, but I can work with that too.

What I want to preserve is the broad outlines, so that people can dip back to those for inspiration and so that there's some look-and-feel sense of "this is our future." I think that makes the game more fun.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Simon_Jester wrote:By this you mean Q14, Q13, Q15, R14, and P14?
That is correct.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I'm thinking of P7, Q7, P8, Q8 for the coordinates of the Kritarchy.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This would be an excellent location for your nation... if it existed. :D
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Simon_Jester wrote:This would be an excellent location for your nation... if it existed. :D
Ask your great-granddaddy if that probe was real. :P
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Operation Shroom Book already looked into the matter. He was the victim of a rare rye-mold infection.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Simon, can I be mildly disturbed about you remembering the funky capitalization of XylyX?
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes. Yes you can.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Where will you be placing the OMNI nation? Is there a new map that I just didn't see the link to?
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Simon_Jester wrote:...Touché.

It still sounds less awkward to me than "The UISC." "America" is four syllables, but people still use it in place of "USA" or "the USA" more often than not when actually talking about the country.
Ok well here is the thing...
It is hard to have a national name, because the UISC isn't really a "Nation" It is much more like a "Space UN" with just two powerblocks as its' members.
One being "The Tajlan Empire" and the other being the "Tri-World Alliance".

I mean it's basically us trying to find a name for the Earth "UN", nothing would apply.
SO In game, most people, dpending on which side of the power block they are dealing with would basically be reffering to either "The Empire" or "The Alliance" for my forces.
For OOG, well hell you can call me "Crossroadia" if it makes you feel easier :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

cadbrowser wrote:Where will you be placing the OMNI nation? Is there a new map that I just didn't see the link to?
Simon won't be placing you anywhere, you've got to request where you want OMNI to go, or save a copy of the map doodle your own space on it and stick it up for us to see.

Just look out for regions of space that other people are considering!
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I think the Unified Imperium should be in the NW.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zor wrote:I think the Unified Imperium should be in the NW.

Zor
Noted. Could you be more specific about its size, location, and shape?
cadbrowser wrote:Where will you be placing the OMNI nation? Is there a new map that I just didn't see the link to?
We shall begin by placing OMNI wherever you please, assuming none of your neighbors scream too loudly.

Where do you want it?
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ok well here is the thing...
It is hard to have a national name, because the UISC isn't really a "Nation" It is much more like a "Space UN" with just two powerblocks as its' members.
One being "The Tajlan Empire" and the other being the "Tri-World Alliance".

I mean it's basically us trying to find a name for the Earth "UN", nothing would apply.
SO In game, most people, dpending on which side of the power block they are dealing with would basically be reffering to either "The Empire" or "The Alliance" for my forces.
For OOG, well hell you can call me "Crossroadia" if it makes you feel easier :P
Why don't you think about it for a while and get back to me? Remember, you just need a name that foreigners can use for the place. It may not be especially descriptive or accurate, it might even be something that randomly bubbles up by historical accident the way the Lakota got called the Sioux or somethin.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Oh hell, I must've missed that part. I really don't care where I am. Ugh...ok; I guess I'll have to go look at the map.

Thanks OmegaChief.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Ok...I guess put the Omni Home Sector at G5 if that's cool. Then the rest of my sectors surrounding it 1 square out. I have a total of 9 sectors in a 3 x 3 grid.

Thanks!

OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

You sure about that Cad? That puts you quite a ways out from just about everyone.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well if I had stuck with the original H7 placing for Arcadia...but yeah, right now it is out of the way...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Cad's not bound to that; we'll give it some time.

Again, the busy portion of my week is starting, so I don't really expect to have time to spare to put together another map draft until late this week. Sorry, guys.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Yes, I'm pretty sure. It follows my story arc better if I'm somewhat secluded. It would also better align with "rare chance encounters" with others. So I like that.

No worries on updating the draft map on my end. I'm a patient person. :mrgreen:

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Requesting the following squares, for now:

R-19 (Foxa - Colony Sector)
S-19 (Clankor - Colony Sector)
T-19 (Blackagar - Colony Sector)
R-20 (Aybeem - Core Sector)
S-20 (The Center - Home Sector)
T-20 (Dovan - Core Sector)
R-21 (Novadon - Midrange Sector)
S-21 (Maschtek - Midrange Sector)
T-21 (Hissgerd - Midrange Sector)
U-20 (Rimland - Colony Sector)

Yeah, it'll be quite the neighborhood....
Last edited by Force Lord on 2012-04-20 06:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

You know, is it just me or does the map seem crowded even without a large chunk of the people who are playing? Wasn't there 30 or so nations (counting the micronations)? That could become a problem depending on the remaining nations size (I know Arcadia and the SPACE VIKINGS aren't a problem being 8 sectors put together...)