SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Post by Simon_Jester »

I don't think I moved Sol.

The old iterations of the map are still up though, so you can check.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, I think I may just be imagining it. I'm more tired than I thought... :?
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

KlavoHunter wrote:Is the League of Thought receptive to moving 'north' a little so I can fit a small Klavostan somewhere near the ferocious cat-barbarians?
*Chamarrans start wondering where these ferocious cat barbarians near the league of thought are and start obliviously asking their neighbours if they've seen any*

Also with regards to the galactic core thing. I probably should of done the math for the whole 'the chamarrans ended up a long way away thing' as if you can get to the galactic core in a year you can probably get to the Perseid arm in a lot shorter than that.

Although it probably doesn't change anything. The Hierarchy can't expect intervention from the Perseid arm Chamarrans and nor can anyone else. Though I imagine that upon hearing about the ruins of a colossal empire formed by an extinct alien species there's now a few Umerian archeologists being slapped down hard by the finance committee.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Simon_Jester wrote:1) You have placed some of your nomad sectors near fierce and unreasonable powers.
This I know. :twisted:

The sector I have placed next to the Covvies was based on the Draft 5 of the map. Now that the Rats have been moved down South, I could move them a bit to the north-east (like Q-18), if Shinn would be more comfortable with it.

As for the sector I have placed between Umeria, Shepistan and the Kryptonian... Well, let me just say I fully expect a Shepistani attack on my people at some point.... :twisted:
Simon_Jester wrote:3) If you want space nomads to go away, you can probably make them without too much trouble. No need for massacres, they're nomads, they get "go away."
Yeah, you only have to ask nicely and they'll go. It will only take a little bit for them to pack their things and clear the sector (around a few months).
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darkevilme wrote:Also with regards to the galactic core thing. I probably should of done the math for the whole 'the chamarrans ended up a long way away thing' as if you can get to the galactic core in a year you can probably get to the Perseid arm in a lot shorter than that.
Depending on exactly how far out the Chamarrans are- figure a period of months. They might not be "near" the edge of the local arm, either- could be ten or twenty thousand light years out toward the rim for all I know.
Although it probably doesn't change anything. The Hierarchy can't expect intervention from the Perseid arm Chamarrans and nor can anyone else.
Remind me of the details? I'm a little confused about who 'sent' the Chamarrans, and why, and what's left of them.
Though I imagine that upon hearing about the ruins of a colossal empire formed by an extinct alien species there's now a few Umerian archeologists being slapped down hard by the finance committee.
Yeah. The Umerians have at least one or two deep-space SCIENCE! vessels that could rove very far off-map (50-100 sector-widths), built at very considerable expense. They're big, they carry ludicrous amounts of fuel even relative to their own large size, they use drives built with extreme care to be both very reliable and very unlikely to need dockyard maintenance... they're expensive. I should probably include them in the "odds and ends" portion of my own fleet stats.

And the farther out you go, the greater the risk you'll run into some unknown power that decides it wants your expedition dead, so voyages like that are genuinely risky. The sort of thing even Umerians hesitate to do for SCIENCE!
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

I'm also a little worried aboutt he Nomad Sector in K28, I mean it's out in the middle of nowhere and might mess with Sctoissh Ninja's 'Lands End' idea he wanted for the edge of Confederate space.

Moving it one or two sectors North-East would probably fix that though.

(Just a note I guess, feel free to ignore this)
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

True dat.

U-27 instead of K-28 ?
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

U27 looks like a much better spot, lots of people around to poke and be poked by, rather then three days flight into the middle of nowhere.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Let's roll.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Can you move my whole nation 4 sectors west simon? thanks
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Change the Unified Imperium back to green.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

There are a truly unreasonable number of green nations on the map; is there any other color you'd be willing to accept?
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Klavostan goes beneath the League of Thought like this.

___________BB-21
Z-22 AA-22
Z-23 AA-23

And what do you mean I can't be green?!?!
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Rabid, if you see this- do you think you'd be willing to take a color other than green? Red, for example? The sheer number of your "nomad sectors" that are colored green makes it aesthetically awkward to have lots of green countries on the map, in my opinion.

This is not a big deal, but it's awkward having a lot of green countries next to green Gypsy sectors.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

New map iteration up here. Compass directions are at the corners (I couldn't find any other half-decent place to put them quickly). Color changes are being postponed pending discussions with Rabid.
KlavoHunter wrote:Klavostan goes beneath the League of Thought like this.

___________BB-21
Z-22 AA-22
Z-23 AA-23
Done. You are currently in red, pending color changes and negotiations with Rabid. Please excuse our technical difficulties.
Zor wrote:Change the Unified Imperium back to green.

Zor
Color changes are pending- let me talk to Rabid, OK?

Dark Hellion wrote:Can you move my whole nation 4 sectors west simon? thanks
Done, assuming by "west" you mean "left" or "antispinward."

The next iteration of the map will include a compass rose, if I can find a place to put it...
Rabid wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:1) You have placed some of your nomad sectors near fierce and unreasonable powers.
This I know. :twisted:

The sector I have placed next to the Covvies was based on the Draft 5 of the map. Now that the Rats have been moved down South, I could move them a bit to the north-east (like Q-18), if Shinn would be more comfortable with it.
I'll worry about that if he complains.
OmegaChief wrote:I'm also a little worried aboutt he Nomad Sector in K28, I mean it's out in the middle of nowhere and might mess with Sctoissh Ninja's 'Lands End' idea he wanted for the edge of Confederate space.

Moving it one or two sectors North-East would probably fix that though.

(Just a note I guess, feel free to ignore this)
Since I can't justify leaving a huge chunk of the map permanently blank just so Scottish Ninja can put "the end of the universe" eight hundred light years from the corner of the map, I've decided to put up a Wall O Shoals that makes accessing the region beyond difficult, though not impossible, with Land's End sector being presumably the equivalent of the only really good pass in the mountain range.
Last edited by Simon_Jester on 2012-06-02 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

And that's why I'm glad I'm light blue. No one wants my color :P

That being said, I think a Wall o Shoals probably works better for Lands End. Less problems with keeping that area empty.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well no, there's room for things beyond there. It's not a solid BLOCK of shoals- I'd just have to move my compass arrows.

The problem is simply that I don't want Scottish Ninja's one idea to preclude numerous other ideas- that general principle again.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh I know, I meant that it removes the problem of keeping it empty for Scottish Ninja's idea.

EDIT: In other words, people can move in now.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Simon_Jester wrote:Rabid, if you see this- do you think you'd be willing to take a color other than green? Red, for example? The sheer number of your "nomad sectors" that are colored green makes it aesthetically awkward to have lots of green countries on the map, in my opinion.

This is not a big deal, but it's awkward having a lot of green countries next to green Gypsy sectors.
No problem. I was already going to suggest that you could put me in a color other than green.

Crimson-red ? :D Edit : Nope, already taken by the Commonwealth with which I am a neighbour. I don't know. Surprise me Simon ! :lol:
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Since the Commonwealth is played by someone who doesn't show up much, I think I'll change them, make you crimson-red, and be back to playing with shades of green again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

All right. The first iteration of the "OFFICIAL" game map is up. Klavo gets what he wants, Zor gets what he wants, Rabid gets what he wants:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73239306/SDNW5 ... 060312.png

EDIT: There is one glaring problem with this map. Fenreer's dwarves are not on it! I aim to rectify this as soon as possible.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Second iteration of the OFFICIAL map.

The People's Liberation of Incirrinea is added (I know the name doesn't make any sense, but the acronym it let me use for the map was irresistible. It will be changed if ECR requests). Cernans beware; politically aware von Neumann machines are wandering loose in your backyard!

The Dwarven Conclave has also been added, near the outer edge of our spiral arm and far to spinward.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73239306/SDNW5 ... 061312.png

Tamwyn_Lysovan
Redshirt

Post by Tamwyn_Lysovan »

Is there any way I can claim sectors a9 a11 b10 c9 and c11? Meant to post a while ago...life got in the way.
If not I understand, just figured I would ask.
If yes I will post faction with haste. I guess that means I will also need a roll... I'll post that immediately.
Thanks.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...isn't that where Jub is? Though I think that's more the C's, not the A's/B's. And I'm sure we can work you in...this game needs more active people after all.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Yeah, I'm in that region. Spread two out from C10 in all dirrections in stright lines and one out from there diagonally.