SDNW5 Preliminary Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNW5 Preliminary Discussion Thread

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Hey, I use Gimp!
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I use paint.net, it's a free program. Can be kind of a memory hog if the image is big though, but it handles well otherwise.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Hey, I use Gimp!
I feel your pain. :)
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Imperial528 wrote:I use paint.net, it's a free program. Can be kind of a memory hog if the image is big though, but it handles well otherwise.
I have that, too. I just never use it. I rarely Gimp, actually. Only if I need to retexture something do I ever use it. Anyway, I'm up for using decimal time as standard Bastet time. Because I am a filthy sadist, the Bastian day is about 27 standard hours long. The Neithian union had a different system but that fell out of favor a few thousand years ago.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The real downside of the League is that I can't really use awesome spaceship art for them, because they don't have awesome spaceships. I might have to see about getting a friend to do some commissions at some point.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well...I would use paint.net, but I am on a Mac, and its the schools laptop, so downloading stuff is a big no-no. If anyone has something that can run on a Mac, then feel free to let me know. Otherwise I won't be any help with the map...sorry...
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The 'Banshee' ship in this post of Shroom's is pretty much what inspired the overly winged and weird form of Bee warships... though each Bee squadron's ships look unique and all of them look like they've been painted by Chris Foss on acid. Screw that bare-metal look.

Ground-wise, I'm pretty sure that there's a little EDF/Ravager influence for bees, especially the mechs. Same horrifying paintjobs though.

I'm trying not to actually copy the designs, but it's what I'm keeping in mind at least.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Vanas wrote:The 'Banshee' ship in this post of Shroom's is pretty much what inspired the overly winged and weird form of Bee warships... though each Bee squadron's ships look unique and all of them look like they've been painted by Chris Foss on acid. Screw that bare-metal look.
I'm not entirely sure there's a difference between "Chris Foss on acid" and "just plain regular Chris Foss..."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

That's... a pretty good point, really. But add more random colours. Cyan and ultraviolet hazard stripes with green polka dots over half of a ship wouldn't be entirely out of place, for example.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well...I tried to find some online software for making the map but I couldn't find anything that worked quite right. So I'll just bow out of helping on that front now, and leave it to the people who can actually work on it.

(Also, nice ship designs BEES...)
Feralgnoll
Padawan Learner

Post by Feralgnoll »

Rabid wrote:People who baber and are incapable of speaking the One True Language, Latin.

Today's barbarians are those who can't speak 'Murcan.
This reference pleases the Crab Goddess. The big muthafuckin crabs will muthafuckin ship one fuckin item to any one fucking place, for muthafuckin free.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:On a serious note, weren't we discussing WAY back in the thread about Arcadia being partially formed from dissidents that fled the Holy Empire? If we went with that, it would be easy enough to say they took the ideas with them (if not the designs, depending on how old they are). Or just go with convergent evolution. Though with Arcadia First using the destroyer...that could get real interesting real quick.

(Plus, the Halo designs are in the minority...most of them are Stargate or SW inspired copied.)
Your Akagi class frigate is close enough to the Hirano class in terms of general capability that they could reasonably be related to each other; they diverged from a common design in the past, but they still share enough aesthetic similarities that a casual observer could easily mistake one for the other. As for the UNSC destroyer, the Lee class and its derivatives outweigh and outgun the SPACE VIKING Gustav class considerably, so it'd be convergent evolution in that instance.

As for visual analogues for my heavier ships, my preliminary choices are as follows:
Older SOS Imperial Navy frigates and destroyers would still resemble the UNSC frigates and destroyers to some degree, while cruisers would more closely resemble the Halcyon and Marathon classes. Most of the other older capital ships would probably skew closely towards the Acclamator class assault ship and the Venator, Victory, and Imperial class Star Destroyers in terms of aesthetics (forming yet another connection to the Arcadians, as their most current battleship design is an Imperial clone and the mothballed battlecruiser stolen by the SPACE VIKINGS was a Victory clone). Names for these old ships would primarily be a mix of historic Imperial Japanese Navy and Royal Navy ship names, with other historic ship names mixed in for variety.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The crabs would approve. The League just uses freighters...or...space trucks, as it were. :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

For visual reference the ships of the Authority are either taken from, or inspired by Vasudan design.

With I guess ground forces taking some inspiration from Mass Effect, what with all the mass accelerators and gravty manipulation tech.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I made mine up from scratch except the fleet carriers, and the only reason those aren't made up is because of the opportunity to riff jokes off of Shep.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Same as Simon, my own ships are designed from scratch. The use of reactionless Gravdrives pods and the absence of thruster exhausts being the biggest influence on Doxa's ship-design.

Though cases of convergent evolution can make some of my ships look like other well-known examples (pictured : a Commune, not to scale)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I've added a bit more to my Nation Description, particularly to the history part. Which explains why my people are more democratic than canon Romulans.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Rabid wrote:Same as Simon, my own ships are designed from scratch. The use of reactionless Gravdrives pods and the absence of thruster exhausts being the biggest influence on Doxa's ship-design.

Though cases of convergent evolution can make some of my ships look like other well-known examples (pictured : a Commune, not to scale)
My Own ships Tend to look like great big "Space Bird" things
They were designed almost 10 years ago when I thought that "big fancy wings" and "pointy beaks" where simply the Height of "cool" :p EDIT: Sizes woefully out of date :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

All of my ships will probably be 3d modeled by myself at some point when I get around to it, as they're all custom design.

Oh, that reminds me. Crossroads, I completely forgot about the models you'd asked me to make. I'm in a bit of a stressful situation school wise and am very busy, but I'll try to get some more work done on those.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I think my only original designs are the twin destroyers (Tiger and Lion class), which are big wedges. And I didn't realize my ships were that similar to the Holy Empire's... :shock: (<---More for the amount of ships that are similar)

Though at least (for now) my Stargate inspired designs are unique. Those being the Asgard class Super-Dreadnought, the Furling class Battleship, the Naverra Class Furling Super-Dreadnought, and the SPACE VIKING Odin class Cruiser. And I'm fairly certain that the Musai class is also unique at the moment, being based off the Normandy SR-2. Same goes for the Valkyrie class Battlecruiser which is based off the Battlestar Pegasus.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

I'm going to get around to finishing the Chamarran Destroyer so you lot know what it looks like when I'm not fighting the dreaded final report monster. Even when i get to work on it again though it's going to take an age, i think it might be the biggest thing i've ever tried to make.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Wow, sorry everyone...got super busy at work and equally busy at home, haven't had any time to revamp and work on finishing up OMNI. Points to note: 1. I still need to be put on the map (no rush of course) & 2. I still have 2 trading slots open (omni makes automated mining equipment).
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Hm, so since the game is starting at 3300, that sets Cerna at about 636 years old as a nation, with it's much larger, far away, parent nation being ~800 years old, and probably originating as a settling group ~900-1000 years ago. (Since they're so far away, enough that they still aren't in reachable distance of the game area, it makes sense to have had many decades, even more than a century, of travel time.)

So, from there, I'm willing to bet that certain groups, such as The Nation, or other groups that like to scout places far away, have had some sort of limited contact or observation of Cerna's parent nation, and it is possible that sufficiently old polities or beings have some sort of memory of the initial colonization exodus.
If anyone wants to discuss this with me, we can do it here or by PM or both, because I think a lot of story potential can come from such histories.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Imperial528 wrote: Oh, that reminds me. Crossroads, I completely forgot about the models you'd asked me to make. I'm in a bit of a stressful situation school wise and am very busy, but I'll try to get some more work done on those.
No worries mate, Just getting models from you is awesome ,I won't rush things :)
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Since we're talking about ship design, my naming ship classes after their number of engines lands me in an interesting predicament. Hexaremes (heavy cruisers with modular pods) work very nicely with nBSG battlestar designs, but other things are a bit more troublesome; anybody know of a good source for ship designs? I'd like to believe somewhere on the Internet has collected all the best ship designs in sci-fi in an easy-to-use database, but I can't find the damn thing if it really does exist.

Failing that, I'd be interested in learning to draw my own, like Darkevilme was talking about. Anybody have a favorite program or a general 3d modeling guide to recommend?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb