SDNW5 Preliminary Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNW5 Preliminary Discussion Thread

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I don't see why a Bank of Bastet couldn't work...after all, you kind of went for a Space Switzerland route with all those trade routes. And what I mean by that, is that a lot of people have a lot of money tied up in Bastian.

Arcadia though...we have a bank, just not one that announces itself. It runs more in the background to be honest...
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

No, it does exist. It's just that I don't want to make an ad for it. I'd probably have a huge banking sector. We are supposed to be a kind of corrupted libertopia domestically.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

The average Volsci has no trust in banks. Certainly far safer to just keep your cash under your mattress, if you can afford a mattress. The Volscians lead the galaxy in production of affordable mattresses!
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Do they come compelte with handy money storage compartment?
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Scumdogia's banks are a con-job designed to funnel money to the Scumdogs of the Universe.

They are not necessarily very convincing, but there are still plenty of idiots in the universe...
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

OmegaChief wrote:Do they come compelte with handy money storage compartment?
Ah, but who would use that? That's just telling the thieves where the money is! Clearly, it is a trap that is only labeled as a money storage compartment.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, I've put up the beginning of my nation description. I'm still working out the numbers and such for my military.

By the way, anyone want a trade route with my little Romulan micronation?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Guys, I'm sorry, I didn't get to a map redraft this weekend. I'll do it when I can, but the busy phase of the week is coming back up- if anyone wants to push ahead and put something out there for people to critique in loco parentis, please go ahead.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Hmm, in loco parentis? My latin is ephimeral, so what does it mean?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I'm guessing it is "in place of parent(s)*" as in a player made map as a temporary replacement for a moderator made map.

*Usage appears to be singular but IIRC -is is always a plural ending, although it might be singular in the neuter declension, which I remember least.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I would do a map myself, but I have no idea on how exactly to modify the base one (note, I'm using a Mac, so stuff like Microsoft Paint is out of the question). I'm perfectly fine waiting though, but if anyone wants to make a map themselves and slap Arcadia down, the sectors should be ordered like this:

Arcadia: H12
Reach: H11
Kursk: I 12
Miyazaki: I 11
London: I 10
Berlin: H13
Nome: G11
SPACE VIKINGS (micronation): J10

(That goes for Simon too, that way he doesn't have to guess where to put things when the Mod Map is done).

And I can accept a trade route from the Romulans. That is assuming they want to send one my way considering I don't have any left to send back. Also, a question for the Elder Races (TM)...I was thinking of having one of my planets be a neutral meeting ground in the Cold War. What I mean by that is this...back when the Furling Empire was still around, they used one of their planets as a neutral meeting ground, and that has transferred over to Arcadia now that the Furlings are weak. That way we can keep the Hyperbazooka from being used if at all possible.

(And if anyone asks, this is another idea I'm carrying over from my SW/SG crossover, namely that the Furling Empire in that story had a planet that was a meeting ground for the Four Great Races Alliance. Which has sort of happened here...Furlings=...well Furlings, Grays= Loki style Asgard, Krypton=Ancients, and Bastian=Nox...though the giant space cats are not Space Hippies like the Nox.)
Last edited by Skywalker_T-65 on 2012-04-23 07:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, from what I've read of your nation description I think our factions have a lot in common, so you make a logical trading partner. I think my guys would get on well with yours'.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, they probably would. Space Sweden and Romulans...who would have thought? That being said, you can go ahead and send that TR my way if you want.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

The Romulans have two billion people and three star systems? That seems... really thinly spread, but I suppose it would make sense - if they're all descended from the crew of a very lost warbird, they'd have FTL well before crowding became an issue on the initial planet and might just be trying to avoid it in the first place.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well my colonies have 1 billion people spread through 3 systems. Then again, I was going for the freshly settled look, so that would be why.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Esquire wrote:The Romulans have two billion people and three star systems? That seems... really thinly spread, but I suppose it would make sense - if they're all descended from the crew of a very lost warbird, they'd have FTL well before crowding became an issue on the initial planet and might just be trying to avoid it in the first place.
Only one system is heavily populated. That's New Romulus, which is where the capitol is located. The other two are small colonies, one for mining and one for scientific research. They're more outposts than established worlds.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Also... Romulans.

[raises eyebrow]

Fascinating.
Imperial528 wrote:I'm guessing it is "in place of parent(s)*" as in a player made map as a temporary replacement for a moderator made map.

*Usage appears to be singular but IIRC -is is always a plural ending, although it might be singular in the neuter declension, which I remember least.
School term. Yes, it means "in place of a parent," and formally it's used in the context of actions taken by teachers and other officials regarding children, when their parents are not available.

It's a stock phrase, I'm secretly a barbarian.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Simon_Jester wrote:It's a stock phrase, I'm secretly a barbarian.
Simon_Jester wrote:I'm secretly a barbarian.
Simon_Jester wrote:barbarian
*Stands with mouth gaping in horror, the sort of horror only a True Roman™ can appreciate*

By the gods, bearded savages! Quick my fellow compatriots, we must flee to Space Rome to appeal to the Space Emperor for his Space Legions' support!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sigh, you do know the origin of the word "barbarian," right?
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

People who baber and are incapable of speaking the One True Language, Latin.

Today's barbarians are those who can't speak 'Murcan.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Sigh, you do know the origin of the word "barbarian," right?
I had been told it was derived from the Latin for beard, but honestly my Latin class didn't get that far and I never really felt inclined to ask the instructor since it seemed like relatively useless trivia to me.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

SPACE VIKING description is up. Its very tentative though, so I may or may not change it at some point. If anyone notices any glaring errors let me know please.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

I personally find it amusing how you've poached Halo designs for your light combatants, seeing as the SOS Imperial Navy back in SDNW4 also used the UNSC frigate and destroyer designs for the Hirano class frigates and the Lee class family of ships, respectively. I intend for that to remain the case in SDNW5, though the existence of visually similar Arcadian ships would make life a bit more difficult for naval intelligence agencies. Convergent evolution, perhaps.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hey, I wasn't around in SDNW4 to know that remember? :)

On a serious note, weren't we discussing WAY back in the thread about Arcadia being partially formed from dissidents that fled the Holy Empire? If we went with that, it would be easy enough to say they took the ideas with them (if not the designs, depending on how old they are). Or just go with convergent evolution. Though with Arcadia First using the destroyer...that could get real interesting real quick.

(Plus, the Halo designs are in the minority...most of them are Stargate or SW inspired copied.)

EDIT: Also, the question to the Elder Races (TM) from an earlier post still stands (the meeting planet). Another thing...I used my new found GDP from the Romulans to put in a 900 point supership (sacrificed a couple of Battlecruisers too). It is the only one though, so don't worry about a bunch of super ships. And one last thing...what do you all use to modify the map drafts and insert your nations? Just wondering so I can insert Arcadia and put a little less strain on our friendly neighborhood mod.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:And one last thing...what do you all use to modify the map drafts and insert your nations? Just wondering so I can insert Arcadia and put a little less strain on our friendly neighborhood mod.
Good old Paint Shop Pro X2 as far as I'm concerned. But you can try to use Gimp if you dare... :lol: