SDNW5 Preliminary Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDNW5 Preliminary Discussion Thread

Post by Simon_Jester »

Centralism is kind of like Italian fascism with psychics, in its combination of militarism and tyranny, along with endearing bumbling ineptitude and humor.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Simon_Jester wrote:Centralism is kind of like Italian fascism with psychics, in its combination of militarism and tyranny, along with endearing bumbling ineptitude and humor.
Of course, it's nowhere near as funny for those who actually have to live under their tyranny. However, if you insist on characterizing the average Centralist as being akin to Feliciano Vargas, I won't fault you for that; they are a big nation with a wide variety of people, after all. Though for every ten Felicianos, you might get someone as thoroughly nasty as Mario Roatta.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shinn, did you have this big a lingering bitter hatred of the nuclear space bears in the last game?

Centralists are considerably more benign than nuclear space bears.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Simon_Jester wrote:Shinn, did you have this big a lingering bitter hatred of the nuclear space bears in the last game?

Centralists are considerably more benign than nuclear space bears.
Had the K-Zone gone hot, I would have made my hatred of the nuclear space bears known in the most direct way possible. I would have thought that being an ally of Byzantium and the Sovereignty (and even being one of the first major benefactors of the Sovereignty during the First Bragulan War, no less) was more than enough to demonstrate my dislike of the Bragulans.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:Considering how badly the Covenant were mauled the last time they fought the Holy Empire, they may be interested in seeking out allies among the UISC. However, given that the Covies are largely rooted in a "convert now or die" mentality, the UISC would do very well to tread carefully.
I assume the Covenant completely stops bringing up religion when the Grays are around, given that the Grays crates full of super-modern arms at them all the time, right? Religion's great and all, but pissing off the guys giving you the latest and greatest gear for pennies on the dollar...well, hey, God works in mysterious ways, and those ways might include the Grays practically giving away weapons.
Of course, by extension, the Grays would be very interested in recruiting another alien civilization to their cause. One can never have too many allies against the human menace, after all.
As long as they understand their place.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:You see, I don't know what to expect on how the Grays view Arcadia in that 'resist the human menace' thing. On one hand, Space Sweden is run mostly by humans. But on the other hand, the Furlings are pretty strong themselves, and they have resisted the Grays before...it will be interesting times on the political front.
Well, unlike SNDW4 and Shroom's Bragulans, the Grays have no interest in a sort of Inhumanist movement. All other alien species are tools to be used against humanity, as humans just happen to be the biggest kid on the block right now. Rest assured, if it were the Furlings, Bees, or Bastians who were on top, the Grays would be trying to ally with every human they could.

That doesn't mean they won't help their allies (see: the Covenant), but they never regard their allies as anything close to equals.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:<snip>
Actually, seeing as you're the first to reply, Arcadia may get to be a High Contracting State of the Anti-Cenintern Pact. For now, though, I'll see if there are other nations interested in joining.
The Authority would need a little debate on the matter, but would sign up reletivly quickly, seeing the Centralists as a vast evil space empire out to opress everyone and this treaty as the ragtag bunch of people who oppose them, they get to be the plucky new heroes!

How accurate this assesment actually is could be open to significant interpriation though.

I'll work on a reply now we've got a thread up, and when it isn't four in the morning for me.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It is possible that the Umerians are responsible for the creation of the Goddamn Bees.

The Technocracy neither confirms nor denies this rumor.
Akhlut wrote:I assume the Covenant completely stops bringing up religion when the Grays are around, given that the Grays crates full of super-modern arms at them all the time, right? Religion's great and all, but pissing off the guys giving you the latest and greatest gear for pennies on the dollar...well, hey, God works in mysterious ways, and those ways might include the Grays practically giving away weapons.
Umerians:

"ForInt has no idea where those weapons are coming from. They seem to pop out of thin air..."
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

And now I have the sudden image of a political confrence where the seating arranger has a sense of humour and seats the Umerian and Gray parties next to each other, and the Umerians go to increasingly ridiculous attempts to dismiss/rationalise away the events going on at the next table over.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Umerians are amazingly good at this, all things considered.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Now if the Bastians were seated next the Greys as well, trying to pretend the Bastians are arguing with nothing at all will result in me barely being able to type.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I feel sorry for your entirely predictable troubles, Panzersharkcat.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I don't mind, just so long as he is far away from me... Now the Skothians on the other hand.. They may be watching more intently.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

And the Arcadians/Furlings would be in the same boat as the Bastians. Though it might lead to interesting things since (entirely within reason) the Furlings view the Grays as the end of their civilization. Which would be interesting for the Umerians...

'YOU!! IT'S YOUR FAULT WE AREN'T AN EMPIRE ANYMORE!!!' (Furling)

'What are you yelling at? That swamp gas?' (Umerian)

'What are you talking about?! That 'swamp gas' destroyed our civilization!' (Furling)

'Why am I even here anymore?' (Arcadian)

(Of course that is assuming the Umerian even mentions anything to the crazy blue dude...)
As for the SPACE VIKINGS chances against the UISC...I never said they would win just that they would attack. In all likelihood the SPACE VIKINGS would lose horribly since their tactics amount to 'charge at the enemy and drown them in our blood!!'. Which could be hilarious...and thanks Simon, you just gave me an image of a giant bearded mech using a massive SPACE AXE to cut open a BEE ship and use the honey for its 'drink'. :shock:

And I'll move that diplomatic post to the new thread after this is posted.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Fenreer
Redshirt

Post by Fenreer »

My first post on this site is my Application To Join.

I'm Fenreer. Steve spent a good bit of time trying to recruit me here, but I was always putting it off in favor of doing this or that or the other thing. When I popped my head in awhile back, I'd seen the game had ended. Now, I see that it is returned. I want in.

I'm a moderately experienced forum gamer, though not in the single thread style, so it might take me a bit to get past the initial vertigo of dealing with threads reaching... 54 pages (!?!?), but I'll manage well enough.

For those of you familiar with the Ad Astra games over at a site(s) I won't name (not sure how this place looks on such things), I played a race called the Valatori with moderate competency (I'd like to think). Basically, Space Dwarves, though there was far more to them.

I'd like to take a second stab at the concept, so I'm asking for my random die rolls if I'm accepted in the game. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I take a second read-through of the rules.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:And the Arcadians/Furlings would be in the same boat as the Bastians. Though it might lead to interesting things since (entirely within reason) the Furlings view the Grays as the end of their civilization. Which would be interesting for the Umerians...

'YOU!! IT'S YOUR FAULT WE AREN'T AN EMPIRE ANYMORE!!!' (Furling)

'What are you yelling at? That swamp gas?' (Umerian)

'What are you talking about?! That 'swamp gas' destroyed our civilization!' (Furling)
Umerian:

"Okaaaay... if you say so."

The Technocracy accepts that much of the rest of the universe inexplicably believes in this transparent, nonsensical rumor about 'Greys.' It sees no reason to share that belief, but may occasionally humor gullible foreigners to be polite. :twisted:
As for the SPACE VIKINGS chances against the UISC...I never said they would win just that they would attack. In all likelihood the SPACE VIKINGS would lose horribly since their tactics amount to 'charge at the enemy and drown them in our blood!!'. Which could be hilarious...and thanks Simon, you just gave me an image of a giant bearded mech using a massive SPACE AXE to cut open a BEE ship and use the honey for its 'drink'. :shock:
This could backfire, as it would also be drinking bees.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Meanwhile, the Hellenes chuckle snobbishly to themselves over the silliness of the barbaliens, while trying to gather allies against the inevitable Chamarran invasion. Inevitable, I say!
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hey, better not laugh at the Arcadians/Furlings! We sell you ships remember? :P

(On a serious note, I would worry about the Chamarrans...I would worry a lot...)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

If Darkevilme does an out invasion, chances are the UISC will be taken into her as a "vassel" state. I'm working on a Post that would reach out to here.

The UISC Is looking for someone with "muscle" to help it into the galactic stage, and The Chamarrans are the best bet.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The UISC may also need an intergalactic spell-checker... ;)
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ouch...you just got burned Crossroads... :P

Arcadians don't need spell-checkers though, since we are a society of Grammar Nazis! (just kidding, though I am one myself)
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Basic self-preservation, really. With this many BEEEES around, there're good odds some of them are Spelling Bees.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Ouch...you just got burned Crossroads... :P
Naw.... I'm used to it by now.
I am one of the worst on the site when it comes to grammer. Usually for Randomlly capitalizing Words in wierd places :P Really that is why I try not to post when at work... No spell checker :P

*coughs*

Moving on... I wanted to ask about THE BEES for a moment. With all the groups around the UISC, I want to have a bit of 'History' with them, informal conversations and such so we are on at least speaking terms.

What would the BEES version of 'first contact' consist of where things get offical?
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

You shouldn't worry about the Chamarrans really. We are far superior masters to the unworthy tyrants that rule over you now. Instead contemplate our coming with anticipation.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

'Umm...no thanks, really, we're fine the way we are' (Arcadian)

'For once I agree with him' (Furling)

'Besides, the only tyrants around here are the SPACE VIKINGS...wouldn't you rather go after the Centralists for example?' (Arcadian)