SDNW5 Rules Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDNW5 Rules Discussion Thread

Post by Simon_Jester »

I will make a habit of paying for ships up front. For ships with significant multi-year construction times, you can amortize the costs over multiple years if you like; it doesn't really matter since you don't get the ship till you've paid for it anyway.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Feralgnoll
Padawan Learner

Post by Feralgnoll »

How does combat between Mirco Nations?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

A micronation's military will have whatever NCP number is reasonable- this is nearly always less than five, and frankly I don't worry enough about it to want to make up rules for it.

Figure out what order of battle that corresponds to. A single-planet state of Destitutionstan might have virtually no meaningful armed forces except internal security troops. A multi-system single-sector polity might have a starfaring fleet of several thousand points.

Be reasonable and true to the image of your nation- not all tiny states will have great armies.

Once you've got that part straightened out, duke it out however you please.

If all you want is small-scale combat (individual ships fighting, for instance) you don't need to worry that much about your order of battle. That's only a problem for full scale open warfare, not skirmishes.
Feralgnoll
Padawan Learner

Post by Feralgnoll »

I ask because the Crab Truckers will have ships heavy on the Defense. They rely on their size and strength to win any physical confrontation. (Crabs are about 8 feet tall and 300 lbs). Their ships usually just ram things and escape. Like space battering rams. (shaped like crabs).
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fine by me.

Points are points are points, remember? It doesn't matter why your ship is worth 50 points. It can be worth 50 points because it carries a heap of nuclear missiles or megalassiters. Or because it tricks the enemy into beating the crap out of themselves. Or because it gets them tied up in versus debates and they're too busy arguing with each other to fight a battle (the "shuttle of enlightened philosophers" option, SDN-style, with less enlightenment and more bickering). Or because it's nigh-indestructible and physically rams other starships and a horde of Giant Enemy Crabs come pouring out to murderize the ship's crew and break things on board.

All these things are permitted.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

As far as micro-nation combat goes, the SPACE VIKINGS are relatively normal. They don't have a shuttle of 'enlightened' philosophers, or a giant Space Ram. What they do have is still a secret until I work up a prologue post for them. It does fit the VIKING image though.

(Of course, it is still mostly generic space warships...they just have some special features. :P )
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[modhat on, but at a jaunty angle, tongue firmly in cheek]

I hereby declare the existence of a Crab Band in the hyperwave communication spectrum. This permits the use of Crab Band spaceradios.

[modhat off, chuckling]
Feralgnoll
Padawan Learner

Post by Feralgnoll »

Muthafucking galaxy better learn to speak crab!
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Better learn to speak Greek, I believe you mean. Barbalien scum.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Let's take it back into the main OOC thread, people.