SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VII

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VII

Post by Karmic Knight »

Siege wrote:This is as good a time and place to say this as any: I am very disappointed with the activity on the story front, or more precisely the - barring a few usual suspects - almost complete lack thereof.
In my personal defense, my lemmingism is working against me, and I want to actually be sure I've read the thread before posting any story posts. (That being said, I do have story posts written/in process).
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

At this point, I'd advise you to restrict yourself to storylines which have real potential to impact what you're doing- not many, if it involves stuff right on your borders. Though for the sake of player-player interaction you may want to consider something longer ranged and more subtle.

I've found that the best way to make sure you're not stepping on a player's toes is to just ask them. Works like a charm.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Simon_Jester wrote:At this point, I'd advise you to restrict yourself to storylines which have real potential to impact what you're doing- not many, if it involves stuff right on your borders. Though for the sake of player-player interaction you may want to consider something longer ranged and more subtle.

I've found that the best way to make sure you're not stepping on a player's toes is to just ask them. Works like a charm.
True enough, and I'm not worried too much about the stuff I'm currently writing to step on anyone's toes, unless the idea of galactic discourse has crashed mightily in the intervening 10 to 15 pages I have left of the thread, nothing I'm currently working on should ruin things, and if things in my neck of the woods has been relatively quiet, I'm just going to go and begin posting stuff and reading the backlog.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

University homework is currently eating up my time, and my creativity is lacking for now.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Interesting, Karmic, though between my own tiredness and the slightly... off-kilter?... grammar, I'm having a bit of trouble grasping the nuances of your post at the moment. Some of it reads rather strangely.

Don't worry about it.

Looking forward to more.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Question: Do the Shoals between the Iduran Confederacy and United Sectors have a colloquial name?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Nope. Feel free to make one up. Part of the fun in the game. :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

I'd suggest you name it the Unknown Regions. :razz:
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah, I wish they had a name; it would have made a bit of my Zebes writing easier.

That said, sector H-12 has been... kinda busy lately. Other sectors, not so much.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

So, which reads better:

“Welcome to TV2 News, your source of news this side of the Unknown Regions.”

or:

“Welcome to TV2 News, your source of news this side of the Horn of Space.”
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Sorry about the lack of posting, busy with college. I promise this is just the quiet before the storm, because I am absolutely certain the entire galaxy is going to be screwed up beyond belief by 3402 :D
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

No longer sick, back at work, and Kiergy, you got some 'splainin to do...

Also, tag, anybody with a presence around the Eye, you've just seen a ridiculously unsubtle, ludicrously fast contact inbound towards the Eye of Sasha at very, very high FTL burn. The kitties, in particularly, would have seen it start that burn after arriving at their warpgate.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Kierger: FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

White Haven wrote:No longer sick, back at work, and Kiergy, you got some 'splainin to do...

Also, tag, anybody with a presence around the Eye, you've just seen a ridiculously unsubtle, ludicrously fast contact inbound towards the Eye of Sasha at very, very high FTL burn. The kitties, in particularly, would have seen it start that burn after arriving at their warpgate.
Umerians are still working with the Refuge. Also, they have determined that something is weird, it doesn't look good, and that they need to call some contractors one of their SCIENCE! officers knows.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Okay guys, my story update is finally ready, after constant writers block and interruptions, plus creepy internet voodoo.

I'd like permission to edit it though if it proves to be slightly funny in terms of wording. I also want to edit the first Taiidan post, as it didn't com out and I want to avoid a inconsistency situation where the old stuff, despite now being unused, is still around.

Is that alright? Or should I take this up with you?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It's alright man. You could link to the first Taiidan post in your latest post, if you wish.

Congratulations on finally making it.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:It's alright man. You could link to the first Taiidan post in your latest post, if you wish.

Congratulations on finally making it.
I know. It's been a pain in the ass. Now if I could figure out how my mother is disabling the internet...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Karmic, I confess to being confused about what's going on in your posts. Could you give a quick rundown of the players involved, what they're trying to accomplish, and where they're doing it?

EDIT: By "players" I mean "in-game people involved in the action in significant ways," not out-of-game players.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I agree with Simon. What the heck is going on?
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Akhlut's out? Damn. The asteroid of real life strikes again. :(
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

A lot of us are to some extent involved in college, which means activity over the fall slumps compared to the summer. This year it's worse than the same time last year; the MEH war has occupied a lot of creative attention for those of us involved in it, reducing opportunities to interact outside of it. For those not involved in the MEH war, there's just not much going on.

Plus, times are tough, people have to work pretty hard in a lot of cases, that makes another dent in people's time.

People who've been out of the game for three or six months have more trouble getting back in than those out for one, or two, as well- witness Akhlut's own post.

So yes, we're looking at a slowdown here. I'm hoping it'll pick back up, because I would be sad to miss out some of the opportunities for awesome and wackiness that might arise. But that hinges on the feelings of some among the player-base.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I might try to get a few one shot posts in from time to time, but I've just started a master's program, I've got a 3 year old to raise, and I'm far, far behind on what's going on in-story. I might try to get a few posts in from Captain Djangles, since there's story there, but it's really self-contained.

But, like I said in the participation thread: there's simply too much to do in all spheres concerned for me to come back to this full time like I was 6 months ago or however long it's been.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah, sure.

Anyway, it's not like there's no room in a game like this for casual semi-participants who can occasionally glance at the thread, make popcorn comments, or write a two or three paragraph minipost on something that strikes them as funny. I'd rather have a dozen of those lurking around than Big Empty Spaces, as long as the semi-participants aren't idiots or trolls like CN was.
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Forcelord, just read your most recent post and I'm a little confused as to the timing. It starts out reminiscing about something that happened 31 years ago and then at the end it says the character served Enduvos for a century, before he had to turn against him. Which leaves me wondering which time is correct?

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

The character (Viso Fredon, who is currently General Secretary of the Centralist Party and member of the Triumvirate) reminesces on how the Centrality's Lost Century ended 31 years ago, and remembers what happened during the height of it, around 3310, when Enduvos took power. Yeah, sci-fi medical tech FTW.