Balance of Power: 1953 - 1984

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Post Reply
User avatar
Padawan Learner
Posts: 412
Joined: 2009-12-28 08:27pm

Balance of Power: 1953 - 1984

Post by ryacko » 2011-06-29 06:51pm

I have run several of these forum games in other forums. I've decided to bring this here. Now to provide a brief summary of how this game works (the slightly more in-depth explanation is in the rules at the bottom), you request in this thread an available player nation. If you still want to join, but there are no player nations available, you may request to be the opposition leader/backup player (gaining power when the current player loses it), or request a NPC nation. I may deny NPC nation requests for reasons such as neutrality or insignificance during the cold war. And finally, Oceania was not a major region in the cold war and would only serve to enlarge the map.

Once you join, you will receive a credit report, which may include advice from your advisers. You reply to the credit report with your turn actions.

If you engage in exceptionally stupid acts, then I will arrange for a semi-plausible way for a new leader to take power in your country.

Year: Early 1953 [Map updated when necessary]
Chance of Nuclear War: 5%
-United States of America-
US Credits: 500
President: Player needed
Popularity: Moderate
Stability: 6
Prestige: 0
Military Units: 7/10 [-3, 1 in West Germany, 1 in Austria and 1 in South Korea, -9 maintenance]
Nuclear Level: 5/6 [-8 credits, nuclear missiles deployed to Turkey]
Space Race Percentage: N/A
Economy: +19 credits
Debt: 0
Credit Income: +36 [+3 Panama canal control, +5 Saudi oil, +2 South African uranium, +1 Pakistani cotton, +1 Pakistani jute, +1 Venezuelan oil, +1 Brazilian coffee, +1 Colombian coffee, +1 Colombian petroleum, +1 Chilean copper, +1 Liberian diamonds, +1 Cuban sugar, +8 international trade, +10 allied trade, 5% growth rate]
Conflicts: Fighting North Korea [Ceasefire]
-Union of Soviet Socialist Republics-
Soviet Credits: 300
General Secretary: Player needed
Popularity: Somewhat high
Stability: 6
Prestige: 0
Military Units: 12/14 [-2, one in East Germany, one in Austria, -7 maintenance]
Nuclear Level: 4/6 [-6 credits]
Space Race Percentage: N/A
Economy: +14 credits
Debt: 0
Credit Income: +18 [+2 Romanian oil, +2 international trade, +16 allied trade, 10% growth rate]
Conflicts: None
-People's Republic of China-
Chinese Credits: 50
Chairman: Player needed
Popularity: High
Stability: 5
Prestige: 0
Military Units: 18/18 [-6 maintenance]
Nuclear Level: None
Economy: +7 credits
Debt: 0
Credit Income: +5 [+3 international trade, +1 allied trade, 10% growth rate]
Conflicts: None
(Note that you cannot do more then a total of six actions per turn, this includes doing the same action multiple times in one country)
Diplomatic/Domestic Actions
Influence NPC nation (-2 credits)
Push for reforms in NPC nation (-3 credits)
Negotiate End of Conflict (-3 credits, can only be done for NPC-NPC conflicts (such as NPC nation vs. rebels))
Aid NPC nation (-10 credits, improves stability and possibly military of target nation)
Massive Aid to NPC nation (-50 credits, improves military, and greatly improves economy and stability of target nation)
Invest in NPC Nation (-30 credits, reduces stability of target nation, may increase export bonus or economy of target nation)
Improve Domestic Economy (-10 credits if economy is at least +0, -15 if at least +3, -25 if at least +5, -35 if at least +8. Must not have rebellions or in conflict, and economy must be lower than +12. If economy is above +6 then there is a random chance of success or failure. Can only do this action once per two years.)

Covert Actions
(Note that if you do a covert action but don't get news of the results, but your treasury was effected, then assume it failed but wasn't caught.)
Destabilize nation (-2 credits)
Frame foreign nation (-2 credits, pick nation, then framed nation, will frame nation, causing loss of relations with other nation)
Economic Sabotage (-3 credits, will possibly disrupt any bonuses and will possibly reduce stability)
Fund political opposition in country (-3 credits, cannot be done against totalitarian dictatorships with stability greater then 2)
Aid Rebel movement (-4 credits)
Massively fund rebel movement (-10 credits, greatly boosts rebel movement, rather obvious)
Set up rebel movement in nation (-10 credits, only -6 credits for communist countries to set up rebels in other countries)
Coup government (-8 credits)

Military Actions
Deploy/withdraw units (-1 credits from nation each deployed unit, good for preventing wars, increasing/safeguarding stability and fighting rebel groups, but possible decrease in relations for neighbors)
Send military aid (-6 credits, strengthens target country's military)
Bomb nation/rebel group (-3 credits, nation becomes enemy and diplomatic relations with other nations decrease, will hurt stability, economy, and possibly military of bombed nation)
Recruit military unit (-8 credits, may reduce economy)
Conscript military unit (-6 credits, may reduce popularity, economy)
Increase nuclear program (consult nuclear cost table for cost, gain prestige)
Decrease nuclear program (will increase credits by amount determined by GM, lose prestige)
Deploy Nukes to Location (-5 credits, gain prestige, if opposing nation allows it to slide then they lose prestige, nuclear level must be 5 or higher)

Starting and ending whenever, the goal of the game is to gain the most prestige while avoiding nuclear war. The game is played VIA private messages. I send a credit report to each player for the turn and they select a list of actions they wish to do. This usually takes place every day or two days. You can do up to 6 actions per turn.

Success of some covert actions are dependent on stability + economy of target nation. Stable prosperous states are relatively impervious to coups and rebellions.

Deploying nuclear weapons in a friendly country increases the chances of nuclear war occurring. A chaotic world in general also increases chances, such as war or superpower promotion of foreign regime changes. Accordingly, seek to minimize conflict. Proxy wars are the way to go, whereas coups are prone to inciting superpower conflict. God help you invasions are absolutely last resort. Any power attacking a nuclear opponent two levels or more below his own nuclear level is able to achieve nuclear primacy - effectively saturating and incapacitating the opponent's arsenal and avoiding MAD.

The maintenance cost for the top two nuclear levels are also effected by global instability and time, reflecting the natural expansion of major nuclear arsenals.

Nuclear war ends the game. No one wins in nuclear war (unless it's nuclear primacy). Seek to keep the chance of it at 0% whenever possible.

The space race is also simulated, beginning in early 1961. Every year (early 1961, early 1962, early 1963, etc.) the US and Soviet players can spend credits to increase their chances of landing on the moon, which will normally around late 1969. If your country's chance is at 0-30% it costs 10 credits, from 30-60% it costs 20, and from 60-90% it costs 30. If both countries spend money at the same time there is a chance that neither chances' change. Chances can change upon each spending by either 10% or 20%. Reaching the moon nets you 30 prestige.

Debts siphon credit income away the larger they get, and if left unattended can slowly grow over time. Capitalist countries have the benefit of lower interest rates.

Going to war costs nothing. Wars will generally be long unless you have a clear advantage over your opponent. Long wars reduce popularity and stability. If going to war, specify how many troops you want deployed. Deploying a military unit to a landlocked country not bordering yours requires a military unit in a neighboring country due to supply lines and the like. For example, to deploy units to Mali, you'll need a unit in Niger.

Rebels and separatists obviously both undermine governments. Rebels with 0 units indicate groups fighting the government covertly.(Otherwise known as terrorists) To defeat rebels, you can either throw money at the problem (see actions list) or send in troops, which will cost you as much as deploying them in a foreign nation would.

=Nuclear Cost Table=
Building reactors: -5 credits, will take three years to build
Building lvl 1: -5 credits
Building lvl 2: -10 credits
Building lvl 3: -15 credits
Building lvl 4: -25 credits
Building lvl 5: -40 credits
Building lvl 6: -65 credits
Last edited by ryacko on 2011-06-29 08:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.

User avatar
Padawan Learner
Posts: 412
Joined: 2009-12-28 08:27pm

Re: Balance of Power: 1953 - 1984

Post by ryacko » 2011-06-29 06:52pm

Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.

Post Reply