SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VI

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VI

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Well, as long as we're all waving our mecha dicks around...
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Bah.

You will all bow before the God Machines.

<snip>

Praise the Emperor.
Meh.

If I have to build an Emperor Titan the size of a city, I shall do it! :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Doesn't matter when Wilkins will land his space army across Nova Miratia's space river and Nova Miratian fortifications and defenses can't do anything to stop them or anything! :D
*facepalm*

Shroom, that's not exactly how it went down. :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Doesn't matter when Wilkins will land his space army across Nova Miratia's space river and Nova Miratian fortifications and defenses can't do anything to stop them or anything! :D
:lol:

That seriously never grows old.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:
*facepalm*

Shroom, that's not exactly how it went down. :P
No no.

What really happened that the Giant Walking Robot tried to swim and got stuck.

Then Wilkins launched an orbital bombardment and that was the end of it. :D
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Whistles up the 38921st through 39247th assault divisions]

[Bragulan-esque series of nuclear time on target barrages converges on Fin's giant robotstrosity]

Who needs uberwalkers when you have hordes of conscript minions with howitzers?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:[Whistles up the 38921st through 39247th assault divisions]

[Bragulan-esque series of nuclear time on target barrages converges on Fin's giant robotstrosity]

A giant monstrosity that fires a buckshot of nukes over a 1000km radius.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Simon's are pretty much my thoughts. Spot walkers from a continent away, circle around, nuke from orbit. Mop up wreckage with combat engineers.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:[Whistles up the 38921st through 39247th assault divisions]

A giant monstrosity that fires a buckshot of nukes over a 1000km radius.
That's what air defense vehicles driven by hordes of conscript minions are for, silly!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Siege wrote:Simon's are pretty much my thoughts. Spot walkers from a continent away, circle around, nuke from orbit. Mop up wreckage with combat engineers.
I think if the said walker was like 100 points, it'd take a bit more than a nuking to kill it. The said walker might be big enough to house some anti-orbit munitions given its size.

In any case, I don't plan to deploy anything like that beyond what I have. A city sized mech is probably going to cost 200 points thereabouts anyway.
Simon_Jester wrote:That's what air defense vehicles driven by hordes of conscript minions are for, silly!
I'll be sure to make sure to coat them with sensor/heat absorbing material. :wink:
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I think if the said walker was like 100 points, it'd take a bit more than a nuking to kill it. The said walker might be big enough to house some anti-orbit munitions given its size.
Then someone with sense would assign an orbital cruiser to do the bombing. Look, much as I enjoy the concept of Titans at some point you're going to have to face the reality that they're, especially compared to other means of trucking overwhelming firepower around, slow as molasses. I'm allergic to points accounting to begin with, but even then I never saw the sense in locking up that many points in a single ground-bound fighting machine when for the same price you could have a gazillion Space Marines fitted with melta bombs and orbital jump gear or whatever other gee-what gadgetry you might wish to dream up.

When these vast lumbering war machines are concerned I would much prefer we don't bother with points at all and just write engaging battle scenes whenever the situation calls for it. Hero machine versus swarm of pesky dudes with AT rockets can very well be an interesting story, but in a framework of points v. points it just doesn't make much sense to me.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I agree with Siege- superheavy ground units 'feel' wrong to me. Even in the 20th century we'd already passed the point where concentration of firepower was the key to warfare: two 30-ton tanks were often better than one 60-ton tank of the same generation. The atom bomb just underlined that.

Pretty much ever since the Second World War the trend has been towards increased dispersal of firepower at all levels- bigger and more powerful weapons handed to individual soldiers, units spreading out to cover more and more ground per man or vehicle, and constant effort going into communications and coordination of those men.

And so working out a coherent doctrine that bypasses the problem of "what can be seen can be killed" by sheer concentration of physical might in one place seems... perverse, to me. It's an outmoded approach, sort of like trying to replicate knights in shining armor in space- amusing as an exercise, but not my vision of the future.

So I'd rather just have several thousand artillery tubes spread out over a continent to drop suborbital rocket-assisted shells on one place than try to mount all several thousand tubes on the same platform to dominate-by-fire the entire continent (as Ryan does).
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

It's only one part of my army that's like that anyway. The rest of it is, by and large, pretty conventional.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Could certain people perhaps spare the rest of us the OSF style anti-giant mecha/tank rants? In a universe with Space Triremes, Kraken, Deamons and freaken Superman himself I don't think anyone really cares unless it actually unbalances the game in some measurable way. :wink:

For the record, I call dibs on Space Godzilla. (seriously :P )
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

In any case, decentralization of firepower only becomes a rule when you have a runaway ration of offense to defense. As that's not a universal rule in this setting (See: Killing RKS/MC warships!) it doesn't really apply.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I don't disagree, WH; it's just my perception of the trends of land warfare, which I choose to reflect in my own ground forces. I mean fuck, I write the space trireme shit too, I just don't expect anyone to take it seriously. :D
Formless wrote:Could certain people perhaps spare the rest of us the OSF style anti-giant mecha/tank rants? In a universe with Space Triremes, Kraken, Deamons and freaken Superman himself I don't think anyone really cares unless it actually unbalances the game in some measurable way. :wink:

For the record, I call dibs on Space Godzilla. (seriously :P )
I've got nothing against giant mecha. I've just got my own doctrine.

Tomato, tomat-oh.

I mean, I prefer gee-whiz '50s and '60s SCIENCE! to cyberpunk, too; that doesn't mean I'm in some kind of vendetta with Siege.

But I don't see why I shouldn't mention it, if people are going to start strutting up and down and beating their chests.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Uh... actually, that was as much directed at the chest beaters as anyone else. :P
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

We're all unleashing our inner Tarzan. :P
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

[Birdies]What are ground vehicles?[/birdies]

[line cheep cheep]
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Mayabird wrote:[Birdies]What are ground vehicles?[/birdies]

[line cheep cheep]
...I MUST sell you bolo tanks. Bolo tanks, and nothing else. Enormous, monstrous tanks driven by tiny, cute little birdies. Good god.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:I agree with Siege- superheavy ground units 'feel' wrong to me. Even in the 20th century we'd already passed the point where concentration of firepower was the key to warfare: two 30-ton tanks were often better than one 60-ton tank of the same generation. The atom bomb just underlined that.

Pretty much ever since the Second World War the trend has been towards increased dispersal of firepower at all levels- bigger and more powerful weapons handed to individual soldiers, units spreading out to cover more and more ground per man or vehicle, and constant effort going into communications and coordination of those men.

And so working out a coherent doctrine that bypasses the problem of "what can be seen can be killed" by sheer concentration of physical might in one place seems... perverse, to me. It's an outmoded approach, sort of like trying to replicate knights in shining armor in space- amusing as an exercise, but not my vision of the future.

So I'd rather just have several thousand artillery tubes spread out over a continent to drop suborbital rocket-assisted shells on one place than try to mount all several thousand tubes on the same platform to dominate-by-fire the entire continent (as Ryan does).
You do realise that there's such a term as "critical mass" right? As much as it is romantic to you and appeals to your sense of aesthetics for something to get cut by "a thousand cuts", there are countless other parameters to be considered, not least reactor efficiency that typically sweet spot with regard to the mass/performance ratio.

And that trend you speak of? You do realise that the real reason behind it was more budget cuts than anything else? Which resulted in issues when America invaded Iraq in Iraqi Freedom because they couldn't cover enough ground with the scanty few soldiers they could bring? Set piece battles aren't the norm nor should they be expected.

ANd in any case, if I were ever to be crazy enough, I'd construct a giant mech to carry a monstrous anti-orbital weapon, that so happens to be able to turn that weapon against another city. So not only can I shoot down the random puny frigate, I can blast cities to pieces.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

fuck y'all
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Well geez. My autonomous units are stupidly powerful giant spiky robots because that entire section of my military is designed by madmen, not because I thought it'd be efficient to do it that way.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:If I have to build an Emperor Titan the size of a city, I shall do it! :D
To what end, good man? You seem to be on some kind of bizzare Zorian quest to have the biggest and bestest of everything. I mean, you totally lost your shit when I noted that I had, entirely by accident, created robot troops that were worth more than Astartes man for--well, man for spiky robot, I guess. Do you have some kind of deep-seated feelings of inferiority you need to talk about?
Last edited by Ryan Thunder on 2011-08-01 10:49pm, edited 3 times in total.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:You do realise that there's such a term as "critical mass" right? As much as it is romantic to you and appeals to your sense of aesthetics for something to get cut by "a thousand cuts", there are countless other parameters to be considered, not least reactor efficiency that typically sweet spot with regard to the mass/performance ratio.

And that trend you speak of? You do realise that the real reason behind it was more budget cuts than anything else? Which resulted in issues when America invaded Iraq in Iraqi Freedom because they couldn't cover enough ground with the scanty few soldiers they could bring? Set piece battles aren't the norm nor should they be expected.

ANd in any case, if I were ever to be crazy enough, I'd construct a giant mech to carry a monstrous anti-orbital weapon, that so happens to be able to turn that weapon against another city. So not only can I shoot down the random puny frigate, I can blast cities to pieces.
Everyone makes fun of chest beating. Your response... beat your chest harder!

This is hilarious, and you totally misunderstood my points in the context of 20th century warfare, and I really shouldn't get dragged into it any more.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

At least no one brought up the galaxy-sized mecha...
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Our new best friends. :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!