Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VI

Post by Force Lord »

Mmm, nanites...
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

KlavoHunter wrote:Holy balls, I still had a post half- written up with that bastard alive...
Continue using it. Just say...Goddamn Unreal Time.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hey, Zor, could you narrow that picture down? It's too wide.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
KlavoHunter wrote:Holy balls, I still had a post half- written up with that bastard alive...
Continue using it. Just say...Goddamn Unreal Time.
Hmmm. [thinks]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Simon_Jester wrote:Hey, Zor, could you narrow that picture down? It's too wide.
Done

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thank you.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I really enjoyed reading Fin's responce, it gave a good insight into how the Byzantine's think.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, it shows you just how batshit crazy they are :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

PeZook wrote:Yeah, it shows you just how batshit crazy they are :P
Well that goes without saying.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Zor wrote:I really enjoyed reading Fin's responce, it gave a good insight into how the Byzantine's think.

Zor
And it shows how pathetically good you are at digging your own hole. Inviting the Tau to your damn territory even before the Great Crusade? Great idea. And you wonder why there's never any rapproachment.

50 billion Imperial citizens dead at least, and if we didn't launch the bioweapon, another 100 billion perhaps, while your people sit in your territory comfortably. I suppose distance is great when you aren't the one bleeding to death.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eh. I don't think the Atlanteans' conduct is anything to be ashamed of under the circumstances. The opposite, if anything.

It's not as if he supplied the Tau with weapons to continue attacking you or anything; the fact that they offered the Tau the opportunity to leave without being obliterated to the last blue guy is hardly a crime against galactic civilization.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Simon_Jester wrote:Eh. I don't think the Atlanteans' conduct is anything to be ashamed of under the circumstances. The opposite, if anything.

It's not as if he supplied the Tau with weapons to continue attacking you or anything; the fact that they offered the Tau the opportunity to leave without being obliterated to the last blue guy is hardly a crime against galactic civilization.
You would note: before the Great Crusade. Has that slipped past you? We haven't even begun the war of extermination even yet!

Would you invite war criminals into your own territory and give them a residency? I sure hope not. It's like inviting Nazis into some country while the Russians were encircling Berlin.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Would you invite war criminals into your own territory and give them a residency? I sure hope not. It's like inviting Nazis into some country while the Russians were encircling Berlin.
That Comparison is false: The Soviets and allies did not plan on killing every single german down to the last infant. And, lets face it, Not all Tau would have been war criminals. You can't stretch out the concept of "War Criminal" to include someone who's soul profession in life was to make toilets or acted as the administrator of an agricultural district, let alone their yet unborn grandchildren.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I think Fin's point is that it wasn't a "come with me if you want to live" situation, but by your own words you were openly promoting Tau immigration before the Imperium began its campaign of genocide. That makes claims of humanitarianism on your part slightly dubious and makes it seem more like Nova Atlantis was callously trying to gain advanced Tau technology in complete disregard for the suffering of the Imperium's people.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Steve wrote:I think Fin's point is that it wasn't a "come with me if you want to live" situation, but by your own words you were openly promoting Tau immigration before the Imperium began its campaign of genocide. That makes claims of humanitarianism on your part slightly dubious and makes it seem more like Nova Atlantis was callously trying to gain advanced Tau technology in complete disregard for the suffering of the Imperium's people.
How would accepting Refugees increase the suffering of the Imperium's people? I said that the Commonwealth was initially sympathetic to the Byzantines, but that sympathy went away because the Byzatines turned geneocidal. Not even in during the Barbarian Wars (a period of total war where defeat meant subugation to crude power hungry warlords who would break its under the yoke to futher their desires for conquest) did the predecessors of the Commonwealth resort to such tactics as using bioweapons to depopulate worlds, nor did we wish death to anyone who fought under a Barbarian Banner.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That's a cool twist. It makes things seem to be less idyllic, now that you think about it.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The issue is this, Zor. Did you or did you not encourage Tau iimmigration before the Imperium proclaimed the Great Crusade and began to actively exterminate Tau?

If yes, then your motives will look less altruistic.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It would be cool if they did, would make things fuzzier and more ambiguous rather than clear cut.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Steve wrote:Did you or did you not encourage Tau immigration before the Imperium proclaimed the Great Crusade and began to actively exterminate Tau?
Yes, but the Imperium made clear genocidal before the crusade was launched and had the war gone the other way people would have accepted Byzantine refugees. In any cases there have been plenty of instances in history in which less than noble intentions have been a driving factor behind greater goods.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Eh. I don't think the Atlanteans' conduct is anything to be ashamed of under the circumstances. The opposite, if anything.

You would note: before the Great Crusade. Has that slipped past you? We haven't even begun the war of extermination even yet!

Would you invite war criminals into your own territory and give them a residency? I sure hope not. It's like inviting Nazis into some country while the Russians were encircling Berlin.
Nope. It's more like interacting with Germany before and during the war, and then letting boatloads of German civilians into your country because the Russians are murderkilldeathfucking their way across East Germany after ultimately winning the extremely bloody war between the two nations.

Unless you believe in massive blood guilt (which the Byzantines do and the Atlanteans don't), that is perfectly justifiable for a neutral power. In this case, Sweden.

The level of Atlantean complicity in the crimes of the Tau against the Byzantines is virtually nil, and any nation which rejects the Byzantine doctrine of species-wide blood guilt for the Tau's actions would have behaved much as they did after the war. The Atlanteans probably wound up taking so many of the refugees purely because they'd had contact with the Tau beforehand- and a lot of the Tau refugees that fled to other states would have then migrated again to the Commonwealth as the Tau emigré population set up some semblance of a functioning community.

Now, you can say "BUT BLOOD GUILT! ALL TAU MUST DIE!" But you have to recognize that most civilized nations will regard that as monstrous and vile nonsense. As will, I suspect, most of the game players- God knows I feel that way about the way you keep harping on this.
Steve wrote:The issue is this, Zor. Did you or did you not encourage Tau iimmigration before the Imperium proclaimed the Great Crusade and began to actively exterminate Tau?

If yes, then your motives will look less altruistic.
I consider them to still be reasonably altruistic, by the standards of international affairs.

Why should Zor want his nation to look perfect? Of course they have legitimate interests and motives for getting Tau high technology, which no doubt had a lot to do with encouraging Tau to move to Atlantis (where, incidentally, they would contribute nothing to the Tau war effort against the Byzantines).

That doesn't mean they had to take in millions of Tau janitors and farmers and stuff to get it... and yet they did exactly that.

Good enough.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

We should have more specific Outlands planets, just saying "somewhere in the Outlands" doesn't work well with making a cohesive storyline since we don't even know where it is specifically happening. I know I am guilty of this too.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

How many planets will there be anyway? Ten? Fifteen? In how many sectors?

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The original Commissions stretched over something like eight to ten sectors, as I recall, though none of them heavily populated. I imagine there were at least a few planets in a number of the unclaimed ones. So potentially, the region might be quite large. On the other hand, between the sectors controlled by the Refuge, the sectors that are part of their 'exclusion zone' as it were, and the ones that have become so devastated by war and the breakdown of political order in the region...

...It's possible, even likely, that only a few sectors are actually "in play" here.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

We have AA-24 and BB-25 at least.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Sorry everybody. I had a really, really shitty week so I wasn't in much of a mood to write.

That being said, what the hell did you people do to the Outlands? They were already shitty and now they've gone insano. I'm not in the K-zone and I live there, jerks! :-P
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Clearly someone needs to restore order in that chaotic region... :wink: