SDNW3 epilogue coordination thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: SDNW3 epilogue coordination thread

Post by Lonestar »

Siege wrote:
Regardless of the circumstances the aftermath of the war would I suspect leave the Dominion busy dealing with cleaning up the mess in India. Even if it didn't, having one unified Crusader colony in southern Arabia is utterly intolerable so it'll be war either way.
No unified crusaded state. Note use of Vichy Shepistan earlier in thread. Sheppos retain armastice army and dominion guarentee of possessions. Strongly suspect other powers will pause if Dominion can force Shepistani collapse in 2 weeks. Won't even be enough time for colonial army to leave Aden.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

The bottom line is this: the only thing that's holding back the Sultan from seizing Yemen and Oman is the fact that the terrain is so difficult. As technology improves over the 20th century, this will become less and less of an issue. By the time the '30s/'40s roll around the terrain will have gone from an insurmountable hurdle to an inconvenience, and by the '50s one Sultan or another will have decided to set the record straight. As long as those colonies remain there it's just a matter of time until a war breaks out over them.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Siege wrote:The bottom line is this: the only thing that's holding back the Sultan from seizing Yemen and Oman is the fact that the terrain is so difficult. As technology improves over the 20th century, this will become less and less of an issue. By the time the '30s/'40s roll around the terrain will have gone from an insurmountable hurdle to an inconvenience, and by the '50s one Sultan or another will have decided to set the record straight. As long as those colonies remain there it's just a matter of time until a war breaks out over them.

Your thesis is that the moslems will go to war with someone who just showed he has zero reservations about using persistant chemical weapons and will have nuclear weapons by the 50s. Have sent Thanas PM and thinks he will agree that Dominion antagonism, such as it is, will be directly solely at germany. Even think he will agree that Dominion has step away from suez canal denial plan to direct attack on german ports in IO.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote:
Siege wrote:The bottom line is this: the only thing that's holding back the Sultan from seizing Yemen and Oman is the fact that the terrain is so difficult. As technology improves over the 20th century, this will become less and less of an issue. By the time the '30s/'40s roll around the terrain will have gone from an insurmountable hurdle to an inconvenience, and by the '50s one Sultan or another will have decided to set the record straight. As long as those colonies remain there it's just a matter of time until a war breaks out over them.

Your thesis is that the moslems will go to war with someone who just showed he has zero reservations about using persistant chemical weapons and will have nuclear weapons by the 50s. Have sent Thanas PM and thinks he will agree that Dominion antagonism, such as it is, will be directly solely at germany. Even think he will agree that Dominion has step away from suez canal denial plan to direct attack on german ports in IO.

Do you mean yesterday's PM? Yes, I'll agree that the Dominion will most likely see Germany as its strongest threat (though IMO, largely because of personal emnity between Fairfax and Sänger due to some issues over the next years, which I'll leave it up to you to showcase now or wait until we finalize our post). Strategically, IMO, the EA is not that much of a threat to the Dominion, but in this case the Dominion acts on valid personal reasons and mistrust instead of purely strategical issues.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Lonestar wrote:Your thesis is that the moslems will go to war with someone who just showed he has zero reservations about using persistant chemical weapons and will have nuclear weapons by the 50s.
Why do you presume we won't have nuclear weapons by the '50s? Or for that matter that the Sultanate will have any compunction against dropping chemical weapons on infidels during a Jihad? Come the '30s the Sultanate Air Corps will be truly preposterously large, certainly more than capable of plastering the colonies with enough WMD to do some depopulating of our own.

I'll grant you that after a point nukes would make a war inconceivable if only because everyone's so damned close together, but that's a long ways into the future.

EDIT: You know what? I'm so fucking done arguing about this stupid game. I've stated how the Sultanate will handle the situation: one way or another the colonies will have to go. Y'all want to write an epilogue? Then that's what you're going to have to deal with, and if that means the epilogue will be "bombs fall, everyone dies" then so be it. This was a shitty-ass world anyhow.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think we should simply submit our ideas to Steve and then let him decide how the world turns out. I think we can all trust him to look at the arguments fairly and then decide.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Siege wrote:
Why do you presume we won't have nuclear weapons by the '50s? Or for that matter that the Sultanate will have any compunction against dropping chemical weapons on infidels during a Jihad? Come the '30s the Sultanate Air Corps will be truly preposterously large, certainly more than capable of plastering the colonies with enough WMD to do some depopulating of our own.
I'm pretty sure that Steve issued an edict to the effect at the start of the game that nukes wouldn't be available until the mid 40s because of, well, me and Shep. If it wasn't an edict then he did otherwise indicate that he didn't want the game to turn into a "RACE TO THE BOMB" game.

EDIT: Whoops, for some reason I thought you said "bomb in the 30s".
I'll grant you that after a point nukes would make a war inconceivable if only because everyone's so damned close together, but that's a long ways into the future.

EDIT: You know what? I'm so fucking done arguing about this stupid game. I've stated how the Sultanate will handle the situation: one way or another the colonies will have to go. Y'all want to write an epilogue? Then that's what you're going to have to deal with, and if that means the epilogue will be "bombs fall, everyone dies" then so be it. This was a shitty-ass world anyhow.
Alright Shep. :D Wish you had told me before hand that you had cracked Sieges account.
Last edited by Lonestar on 2011-02-19 06:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Steve wrote:
I also expect tensions when the Grand Dominion starts developing bombers that can threaten the Cascadian oil ports of Sumatra, not to mention when the fleet base at Darwin comes under GDAF range. The Cascadian aeronautical industry will gain a boon from being tapped to keep the RCAF up to the challenge. Consider the fact that Cooksland (Queensland) will have a significant Hindu expatriate population through the 20th Century and you have the recipe for continued Dominion-Cascadian tensions.

Well, I sent Thanas a PM about a potential interplay between Fairfax and Sanger in 1954. By that point the GDAAF has Vickers Valiant analogs in service, and the GDN is starting to deploy Martin P6M analogues. This reflects a change of emphasis from "close the Red Sea" to "Bomb every German port in the IO". Most of the Grand Dominions oil and natural gas will be coming from Burma and synthetic sources, anyway,

The interesting thing, really, is if there's no ideological tinge to whatever nuclear standoffs happen. Nor is the Grand Dominion perhaps in the best position to beat the "anti-imperialist" drums.
message me in AIM.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Given statements by Stas, it's likely that the commies will attempt again to wrest a pacific port by trying to overrun Manchuria. So long as the Chinese continue to support me, it's unlikely that such an attempt would actually succeed, given the industrial might of Manchuria, and the extreme manpower advantage of the Chinese. Since that would be the third Russo-Manchurian War in the first half of the century, Manchuria's goal will certainly be to stop it from happening again, by gobbling enough strategic depth from the commies to make it infeasible for them to reach Manchuria proper again.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

France will mostly focus on maintaining the status quo - colonial territory in North and West Africa and Indochina will be protected, and the inhabitants will benefit from my France's more humanitarian view of nonwhites. Participation in the European Alliance (or whatever we were calling it) will continue to be the cornerstone of foreign policy, while continuing modernization forms the cornerstone of internal policy. Militarily, the French focus will be on armor, with the Marine Nationale gradually losing funding and prestige to the air force.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Mongolia might help out the USSR in case of a third Russo-Manchurian war to help tie up Chinese manpower.

In anycase, I never finished up the Baron's terrorism subplot. I'd imagine he'd try to blow up some German people who he thought CRUSHED OUT HIS GLORIOUS CLARION CALL TO TRUTH, JUSTICE, AND THE ANTISEMITIC WAY! So, possibly Prince Otto gets the bomb. Or something. However you want to call it, Thanas, since he's on your turf. Something halfway successful, at least; I'd rather he didn't blow himself up and not take out anyone important. :P
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^How about trying to bomb the Reichstag and then fleeing the country?
------------
------------
My LPs