SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread V

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread V

Post by Steve »

Five Commentary threads to two story threads? We damn sure like to talk a lot. :mrgreen: 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread V

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I see, so that is what metagaming means. For a second I had it confuzzled with meta-plot. :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I see, so that is what metagaming means. For a second I had it confuzzled with meta-plot. :P
Wait wait wait. You mean there's an actual overarching plot?!?!? Shit, I've just been writing up random whackiness as the mood took me. Motherfucker.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Looks at Prussian flagship]

Oooh, that's not gonna buff out of the paint...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Simon_Jester wrote:[Looks at Prussian flagship]

Maybe if it's nanobot paint, you just need to reapply it?
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:

Maybe if it's nanobot paint, you just need to reapply it?
Okay seriously CN, if you actually put some of the effort you poured into inconsequentiual commentary into actually writing story posts you might have things like characters and culture people gave a damn about. This would go a long way towards making the MEH potentially likeable and which would in turn mean that someone, anyone, might actully miss it when it's gone.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Oh, I dunno. The Prussians are famously good at polishing things.

In other news, I'm back! And hard at work on something resembling a storypost!
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Dark Hellion wrote:Can I ask that no one one initiate any hostilities upon the MEH until I finish up my plot against them? I won't be attacking but I think it will give additional RP hooks for those assembling against CN to utilize.
For my part, I don't see anything happening until somewhere around March 3401, and that's if I can scrounge a coalition fleet together.

The main problem being is that I'm trying to do it off channel (at least initial contacts) regarding the whole casus belli bit so I don't tip anyone off. I figure for stuff like fleet movements and pre-positioning we can make some excuse like joint multinational exercises or whatever.

Another reason of course for the delay is so that we can get a chance to do some workups, so as to avoid (hopefully) the 'glitches' that occured during the Battle of Bannerman. Or at least as much as one can avoid glitches in any military operation.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Public may not like a sudden war happening without them knowing why you are attacking the MEH. You must run propagandas alleging that the MEH has WMDs, NBCs, POWs and other TLAs.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

FL, if you decided to decloak the ship anyway, why not have the probe just transmit the information and self-destruct?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

This probe isn't ordinary. Its AI, being more advanced, also makes it more prone to do...illogical things.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Uh... yes, that makes perfect sense! :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Force Lord wrote:This probe isn't ordinary. Its AI, being more advanced, also makes it more prone to do...illogical things.
And?

You don't have to ask it for permission to stick a huge quantum charge aboard :)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

PeZook wrote:
Force Lord wrote:This probe isn't ordinary. Its AI, being more advanced, also makes it more prone to do...illogical things.
And?

You don't have to ask it for permission to stick a huge quantum charge aboard :)
:mrgreen: Hey, these things are expensive! So much that it's actually forbidden to order stealth probes like these to self-destruct, at least until production picks up. Which takes time.

Besides, explosions can be detected. :P
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Are they more expensive than stealth destroyers? :D

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Honestly, between the Centrality and the Chamarrans I genuinely don't know who's mishandling their spy ships worst.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

PeZook wrote:Are they more expensive than stealth destroyers? :D
There's fewer stealth probes right now than stealth destroyers. Heck, I would say the Datton was lucky to recieve one.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

URRA gunskimmer combat!
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Uh... yes, that makes perfect sense! :D
Centralist prototype hardware tends to be pretty far out on the bleeding edge, Shroomy. Remember their ion cannons.

"Are you having trouble getting your ion cannon to work? I hear there's a pill for that nowadays..." :D

I imagine their stealth-probe AI suffers from the same problems. As a rough analysis, I suspect the following: the Centralist economy is quantity-over-quality oriented (by modern galactic standards). The science allows them to produce stuff that is top-of-the-line. They can build it; it will perform to spec under testing-range conditions. But systems reliability, doctrinal innovation, and institutional engineering skill often aren't up to implementing the designs that come out of the central planning boards.

So at the high end the Centralists wind up with a lot of stuff that's very, very capable... until things start going wrong in unforeseen ways. At the low end, they have tried and true stuff that's had the bugs worked out and doesn't have such problems.

Sort of like Bragule, only the Bragulans are smart enough not to try to build things their engineering establishment can't keep running reliably. Their tendency to commit grandiose folly runs in other directions, not so much toward superweapon design.
Force Lord wrote:
PeZook wrote:Are they more expensive than stealth destroyers? :D
There's fewer stealth probes right now than stealth destroyers. Heck, I would say the Datton was lucky to recieve one.
I wouldn't. ;)
Siege wrote:Honestly, between the Centrality and the Chamarrans I genuinely don't know who's mishandling their spy ships worst.
This is true. You never see Umerian stealth cutters screwing up this badly.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Force Lord wrote:
PeZook wrote:
And?

:mrgreen: Hey, these things are expensive! So much that it's actually forbidden to order stealth probes like these to self-destruct, at least until production picks up. Which takes time.

Besides, explosions can be detected. :P
...the probe is considered more valuable than the ship that fired it, to the extent the ship that fired it must risk destruction and mission failure in order to retrieve it... *Rayarr and the crew of the Audacity all Nyah at the simultaneous headache this gives them* probes are supposed to be disposeable.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Well, maybe some higher-up with a grudge (the whole Pendleton business was quite embarrasing for the Centralists) decided to get rid of the Datton and it's crew, and so gave it bullshit restrictions to risk its safety. Who knows.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe the AI in the Datton is going crazy!

Callahan again!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Honestly... has it every occured to anyone to use inertia and perhaps some passive sensors to do the job?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Uh...yes?

That's why all those stealth ships are slowly travelling on really long orbits slowly adjusted via tiny burns of gravitic drives?
Force Lord wrote:Well, maybe some higher-up with a grudge (the whole Pendleton business was quite embarrasing for the Centralists) decided to get rid of the Datton and it's crew, and so gave it bullshit restrictions to risk its safety. Who knows.
That...is actually quite possible. With these sorts of regimes, politics can sometimes override military practice. If some admiral got burned bad enough by Pendleton, he might have a really big grudge :)

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

PeZook wrote:Uh...yes?

That's why all those stealth ships are slowly travelling on really long orbits slowly adjusted via tiny burns of gravitic drives?
They are obviously doing a bad job at it if they keep getting detected.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Force Lord wrote:Well, maybe some higher-up with a grudge (the whole Pendleton business was quite embarrasing for the Centralists) decided to get rid of the Datton and it's crew, and so gave it bullshit restrictions to risk its safety. Who knows.
Hah.

Even wackier, that- they're taking the complicated solution of sending the ship on a suicide mission instead of the simple one of ordering the crew shot and taking the ship apart for spare parts and/or scrap metal.

You guys are cwaaazy. But entertainingly so. :D