SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread V

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread V

Post by Simon_Jester »

Steve wrote:More like "lack of religious stricture against", but I don't expect the finer points of Dorei theology to be Sidney's forte. :P
The single-sex monastic environment doesn't help either, I'm sure; isolate a bunch of women under conditions that leave them socializing primarily with other women, and throw in the inherent unequalizer of psychic powers (which would no doubt do very interesting things to relationships between telepaths and nontelepaths)... yeah. That's gonna have a pretty substantial effect.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

I'll let everyone know that Centrality stealth ships aren't purpose built, but rather standard warships extensively modified for sneaky business. They can be changed back to fighting configuration if the need arises, but that requires going back to the yards.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
William Kruger
Redshirt

Post by William Kruger »

Steve, would it be okay if we could get in touch via email and discuss the potential fair use of some of your material posted here on the forum? I'm currently polishing a novel to get it ready to be published and have used some of your material as references in it. I would give you full credit for anything I would use, but I'd like to discuss it in-depth with you first. As a writer myself I would hate for someone to swipe my ideas and plots without credit or permission. Especially defamation of characters or events. I appreciate your time.

(Yes this is way off-topic, but my browser won't let me IM or PM).
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Force Lord wrote:I'll let everyone know that Centrality stealth ships aren't purpose built, but rather standard warships extensively modified for sneaky business.
That explains SO MUCH!

As noted in Shroomanian Fire Drill:

"Someone tried to stealth a Blitz?"

"You could do it. No good reason to try, but you could do it."

:D
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Wow! I go away for a few days and a whole lot of stuff happens.

Speaking of Shroomanian Fire Drill, are you going to do the followup to that? ;)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

William Kruger wrote:Steve, would it be okay if we could get in touch via email and discuss the potential fair use of some of your material posted here on the forum? I'm currently polishing a novel to get it ready to be published and have used some of your material as references in it. I would give you full credit for anything I would use, but I'd like to discuss it in-depth with you first. As a writer myself I would hate for someone to swipe my ideas and plots without credit or permission. Especially defamation of characters or events. I appreciate your time.

(Yes this is way off-topic, but my browser won't let me IM or PM).
I prefer that none of my material gets published in any way since it means that if I ever have the opportunity, it wouldn't be available to me. So the answer is no. If I may ask, though; what, precisely, did you want to use? If it's something minor I'll consider letting you reference it.

And go ahead and reply here or in e-mail, you don't get PM access until you make a minimum of posts IIRC. And I'm the mod of this subforum anyway, so I can just remove the discussion from the OOC thread when all points are made and shunt it somewhere else.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
William Kruger
Redshirt

Post by William Kruger »

I was planning on a Trek Wars crossover and was going to use your analysis of the Federation's economy as part of the backdrop. Of course, it wouldn't be the central theme of the book since I wrote the initial drafts before I read, "The Federation Economy and How It Came To Be". As far as that particular item is concerned, I was thinking of removing The Alliance from the picture and inserting the Galactic Empire in its place, along with other Star Trek universe characters of my own creation, one of which would be the main character. It wouldn't be an absolute copy over into your story, as I have a slightly different idea on how things play out once any war becomes inevitable, and once the shooting starts it will take its own course away from what you had initially written. Also, I had always intended to do sequel books that took place afterwards, and featured other elements of the smashed-together universes. Although in the nine years it's been since I found this website and initially wrote my book, I haven't found anyone except you who had done such a detailed backstory behind how the Federation got to where it was at the time of Star Trek Nemesis (2379 by my reckoning).
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Wait you can actually publish SW/ST crossover books? The franchises are going to let you do that? Or are you writing a fanfic?

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

PMs should work for Kruger now, so the conversation will move into PMs.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

EDIT: See below post.
Last edited by RogueIce on 2011-03-31 08:55am, edited 1 time in total.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, that explains why you logged into STO...

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well, got the Army and Navy versions now. Just a general idea, as I'm not a perfect image editor.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

RogueIce wrote:Image

Well, got the Army and Navy versions now. Just a general idea, as I'm not a perfect image editor.
...Couldn't you like give them a bit more detail or something? They are so... plain?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:...Couldn't you like give them a bit more detail or something? They are so... plain?
In theory it's possible, but my image editing skills (or lack thereof) say no, at least for the pics. :|
Last edited by RogueIce on 2011-03-31 09:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Banners! Skulls! Spikes! Bannerskullspikes on spiked bannerskulls! On banner spikeskulled bannerspikes crucified on a giant skull on a waving banner... with spikes coming out of it! :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Well since we're on the topic...

Squadron Leader Eldon Garsul of the Union Space Force, in dress uniform. The shoulder pad (which would normally display a pattern indicating his rank) has been deactivated. :v
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

RogueIce wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:...Couldn't you like give them a bit more detail or something? They are so... plain?
In theory it's possible, but my image editing skills (or lack thereof) say no, at least for the pics. :|
Which is not to say I'd be going crazy with it. For instance, unit patches do exist for the Army:
Which would go on the left shoulder, but I don't have the skillz to put them there and make them look better than the simple gifs that they are (the rank insignia is the same thing, but I think it's small enough to be not as bad; the patches would of course be bigger and more noticable).

That said, about the only other thing I'd add is probably a SW Empire style belt:
Not the exact style, but something similar in concept. STO's options just didn't really come out at me, though. The closest is the Mirror Universe Enterprise one, but I didn't want the knife on the side...

Otherwise though, I do prefer a fairly simple style. It fits my play style and nation better.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The swords in those patches need to be replaced with gunblades or huge ass swords. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The swords in those patches need to be replaced with gunblades or huge ass swords. :D
Erm...no.

Anyway, more details! First up, branch insignia for officers:

In this case, a caduceus for doctors. There would be others, of course, but I'd have to think up what they are.

And here's a close up image of the collar insignia. Of course, if you look on the Wiki you'll see the best image of my rank insignia, but I didn't want people to have the impression they were just round pips. And despite what it looks like, each of the little "stars" are connected to each other, even if it doesn't show up here (like I said, I have very basic image editing skills):

It's still not the best quality, but I imagine if you look at the images on my Wiki pages and here, you'll get the idea. :)

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

And yes, I know, the caduceus isn't technically correct as a symbol of medicine. I also don't care.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

fgalkin wrote:Wow! I go away for a few days and a whole lot of stuff happens.

Speaking of Shroomanian Fire Drill, are you going to do the followup to that? ;)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Unless someone wants to yoink my stealth cutter on malingering charges, there wouldn't be anything interesting enough to merit it, in my opinion. The immense complexity of the Stealth Fail story justified having something that tried to wrap up what the hell happened, as did the comedic "they did WHAT?" factor, but the meeting between Resolution and the Monolith... not so much. That stands on its own merits, and writing the same scene from the point of view of a fly on the wall several AU away really wouldn't be all that interesting in my opinion.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

The Centrality named a diplomatic courier for the coldest of stone killer dictators of 21st century Nova Terra!?

:lol: That's like naming your embassy 'Genghis Khan House', or your hospital ship 'HMS Unit 731'.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Siege wrote:The Centrality named a diplomatic courier for the coldest of stone killer dictators of 21st century Nova Terra!?

:lol: That's like naming your embassy 'Genghis Khan House', or your hospital ship 'HMS Unit 731'.
Well, said courier was a cutter temporarily modified for diplomatic business, so take it what you will.

And having read up Karic, I just wanted to cause a sensation. :twisted:

EDIT: Though, to obfuscate the name, I'll have the Centralites call the courier the SK.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

If you ever visit the Sovereignty with it, I'll be sure to have Sidney do a spittake over it :D.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Siege wrote:If you ever visit the Sovereignty with it, I'll be sure to have Sidney do a spittake over it :D.
Oh I'll pay a visit alright. Seeing Hank go "WTF?!" will be priceless. :twisted: