SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread V

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread V

Post by fgalkin »

Yes, well, the Datton will confirm the existence of the Lost alright, when it's boarded by terrified daemonoids. :D

Me, I'm just wondering how a ship was able to detect a Monolith from two sectors over. Magical Centrality sensors, again? :P

Oh, and just how big is the Datton, points-wise? There is no listing for stealth ships in the wiki, and inquiring minds want to know. Is it a frigvette? A Destroyer? A cruiser?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Me, I'm just wondering how a ship was able to detect a Monolith from two sectors over. Magical Centrality sensors, again? :P
Well, I dunno. How powerful sensors can be?

EDIT: Datton is destroyer-size. About $40.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Solarian probes trawling Wild Space have been able to detect monoliths travelling at speed from about half a sector away, so it's not impossible.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It's been described as a destroyer, but its offensive armament is in all probability negligible, and its defensive armament probably isn't stellar either. Of course, that makes it quite large by Lost standards.

As for Monoliths, they are biiiig- comparable in firepower and (it is implied) tonnage to entire fleets of heavily armed starships. I think it's fair that they be detectable from ranges similar to those at which large fleets are detectable. Since the Monolith probably isn't making any great effort to conceal its presence, and since this is a very lightly traveled region of space, I don't think it's at all unreasonable for it to be detected while it's still a day or more out.

A Monolith that was trying to sneak up on someone might not be noticed until it got much closer, of course, but in relatively open space, something that much heavier than normal shipping is going to be extremely audible- the proverbial elephant in the room.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

...wait, did I read that right? The the kitties are trying to nab my gunboat while doing a "simulated missile attack"? on the Resolution? :shock:

Oh dear.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Callahan again!
Speaking of Callahan... Darkevilme, whatever happened to his visit to the Datasphere? He so boggled by its awesome immensity that he's stuck like a yobbo who can't stop clicking ever onward through WikiPedia hyperlinks? :)
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

DarthShady wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote: Ya, Mayabirdies wanted to do some diplomaticking, Shadies.
I know. Thats why I mentioned her birdies in the post. I look forward to diplomaticking with her and possibly others.
Yes! I think Fulcrum's been trying to get some Bragulan contacts who'll act as intermediaries for a meeting (also hoping that his threatening the Karlack won't make things bad). We should write something together. There's secret alliancing to do!
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Siege wrote:
Speaking of Callahan... Darkevilme, whatever happened to his visit to the Datasphere? He so boggled by its awesome immensity that he's stuck like a yobbo who can't stop clicking ever onward through WikiPedia hyperlinks? :)
He's probably stuck in the endless 'Crowning Moment of Awesome' entry on the Solarian version of TVTropes.

Which is probably really fucking huge. And for some reason is mostly dedicated to Sidney Hank...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

I did clear the 15 points for the medical frigate with Steve, and if you have ideas for awesome things the Shroomanists can do, go for it.

No I don't know how they scraped together the money to buy it.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

I forgot to ask this - I hope no one was using the LOGH armored grenadier suits for their nation's infantry. :)
Truth fears no trial.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Mayabird wrote:I did clear the 15 points for the medical frigate with Steve, and if you have ideas for awesome things the Shroomanists can do, go for it.
Get into a taunting match with the Astonishing Bulk?

Just out of morbid curiosity, what will they think of poor George's attempt to sell vacuum tubes to Bragulans? (Which I will write, some time... gah)
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Tanasinn wrote:I forgot to ask this - I hope no one was using the LOGH armored grenadier suits for their nation's infantry. :)
Uh, I am. :) I just haven't had a chance to show them in action yet, but I was hoping to rectify that on Canaan soon.

(Rather than fighting their natural enemy, the Ork! Which explains the axes.)
Last edited by KlavoHunter on 2011-02-03 02:10am, edited 1 time in total.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Parallel design evolution, then! :D
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man, at that rate, the Monolith will show up, encounter nothing but debris and will be left there scratching its head :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Mang, what awesome first contacts between you guys! :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

CN, go blow up those additional Gargantanitives! :P
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Siege wrote:
A good question, and one i should answer sometime.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Awww... Sieges! :(

That totally won't jive with what I've got written so far. Oh well, I guess the conclusion of the King Kong storyline will be of dubious canonicity.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man...turians...next we'll be getting space elves asari ;) Which reminds me...the game hadn't mutilated mass effect yet :)

Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

PeZook wrote:Man...turians...next we'll be getting space elves asari ;) Which reminds me...the game hadn't mutilated mass effect yet :)
We've actually HAD space elves apparently, the Lost ate them according to FGalkin.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Ezekiel
Redshirt

Post by Ezekiel »

PeZook wrote:Man...turians...next we'll be getting space elves asari ;) Which reminds me...the game hadn't mutilated mass effect yet :)
Well, you've got the Imperium of Man (almost word-for-word), Tau, and Orks from 40k, an empire of catgirls, some sort of Necronish take on the Collectors, uploads running on distributed computing clusters made of nanobots, moogle battlemasters, Stalinist Russian bears, intelligent spacefaring dinosaurs (I'm running out of emphasis :P ) and a host of other things...

...so I didn't think it'd be too much of a stretch to thrown in the Space Roman / Heinlein-fantasy aliens from yet another setting. Not that I'm doing so completely wholesale, but these things are never perfect straight off. :D
<Shrike> Why do you hate freedom?
<Nasdaq> I'm a conservative
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Yes we did. And they were very tasty, too. :D

FL, how can you have a "barren" sector? You're in a system right now, although its probably inadvisable to remain there when the Monolith shows up.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

fgalkin wrote:Yes we did. And they were very tasty, too. :D

FL, how can you have a "barren" sector? You're in a system right now, although its probably inadvisable to remain there when the Monolith shows up.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
"Barren" might mean "devoid of native life". :)
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Why would that matter when looking for a system to hide in? Hiding a powered-down ship is not at all that hard in something as big as a whole sector. We've managed to hide a whole 23 NCP nation in one. :P You can make a short hop and lie low, no need to evacuate the sector entirely.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ezekiel wrote:Well, you've got the Imperium of Man (almost word-for-word), Tau, and Orks from 40k, an empire of catgirls, some sort of Necronish take on the Collectors, uploads running on distributed computing clusters made of nanobots, moogle battlemasters, Stalinist Russian bears, intelligent spacefaring dinosaurs (I'm running out of emphasis :P ) and a host of other things...

...so I didn't think it'd be too much of a stretch to thrown in the Space Roman / Heinlein-fantasy aliens from yet another setting.
[modhat]

Go for it, it's perfectly fine. It's not too much; hell, the danger in this game is more that you won't be crazy-out-there enough.

Also, check the PM I sent you. I'd like to work with you on setting this up and finding you a spot.