SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread IV

Post by fgalkin »

Nah, the sneaky kitties are. We're just strong believers in situational awareness, especially in an unfamiliar place, and most ships would take an exception to being tailed by a weird daemon-probe.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Yep i sent a ship to find out whether the Lost are just an enterprising umerian student who doesn't mind causing an intergalactic incident as a shortcut on his galactic politics course. Albeit with orders that assume that the lost are in fact genuine, and thus dangerous.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Everyone knows where the Lost are how?

EDIT: I'm just saying if anyone in-universe suspects where the Lost are.

EDIT 2: Well, diplomatic communique came from C-6. That's near my turf, so I believe I'll send ships of my own.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Force Lord wrote:Everyone knows where the Lost are how?
They don't. They're going by this
the Lost wrote:Please send your responses, as well as any inquiries of your own to our communication relay station in Sector C-6.

The kitties may or may not get a good look at Resolution

And may or may not be spotted in return.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Behold the return of...the Datton! :mrgreen:
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darkevilme wrote:Yep i sent a ship to find out whether the Lost are just an enterprising umerian student who doesn't mind causing an intergalactic incident as a shortcut on his galactic politics course...
This is not an entirely unreasonable suspicion. Umerian graduate students can get pretty wacky, especially the proto-mad scientist types. Like the cosmology student who tried to abseil into the Second Technarch for Research's office window to get her approval for studies of the arrival of the Central Alliance...

:mrgreen:
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Post up. Feel free to bump into the Resolution at your leisure. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

You know it's sorta a shame the Datton will come and go long before the Audacity will even arrive due to the distances involved, it could be potentially amusing to have them both investigating simultaneously.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

So are The Lost 40k type chaos demons, or the friendly kind?

I was looking forward to having an ally, but Chaos is pretty much on the other side of the Morality Line for alliances.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

They are what they are. You must decide for yourself how to deal with them, based on your keen powers of observation and deduction. Such is the burden of leadership.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Simon_Jester wrote:They are what they are. You must decide for yourself how to deal with them, based on your keen powers of observation and deduction. Such is the burden of leadership.
As long as I don't find huge torture chambers, or get rampant corruption, it probably won't matter what they look like. The MEH is pretty tolerant.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Why would you care about huge torture chambers?

That seems inconsistent with your stated policies of genocide and mass experimentation on unwilling human subjects.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Simon_Jester wrote:Why would you care about huge torture chambers?

That seems inconsistent with your stated policies of genocide and mass experimentation on unwilling human subjects.
Orks don't count for genocide because they enjoy it, and the experimentation are (Comparatively) few to help many.

Chaos does it just because they can. That's why I'm trying to distinguish between Chaos Demons(tm) and chaos demons.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Why would you care about huge torture chambers?

Orks don't count for genocide because they enjoy it, and the experimentation are (Comparatively) few to help many.

Chaos does it just because they can. That's why I'm trying to distinguish between Chaos Demons(tm) and chaos demons.
Do you honestly need a fucking bogey man everytime?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hey CN are your emissaries going to show up or should our guys just pack up and haul ass back home? :)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Darkevilme wrote:You know it's sorta a shame the Datton will come and go long before the Audacity will even arrive due to the distances involved, it could be potentially amusing to have them both investigating simultaneously.
Well, if I send something to have a look it's not entirely crazy that we'd bumb into each other. Want me to?
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Master_Baerne wrote:
Darkevilme wrote:You know it's sorta a shame the Datton will come and go long before the Audacity will even arrive due to the distances involved, it could be potentially amusing to have them both investigating simultaneously.
Well, if I send something to have a look it's not entirely crazy that we'd bumb into each other. Want me to?
Nah is okay. Sides, it was kinda a silly thought anyway. After all stealthed ships probably don't stand much of a chance of finding other stealthers without compromising their own stealth with active scanners, which Audacity is under orders not to do. So unless i'm off base on how stealth in space works little would come of it.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Who is tamiasthechipmunk? Does anybody know or is this another absolutely random noob who wants to jump into a game that they have no clue about?

Man, I researched this game and its background for weeks before being conned into joining.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Whoever they are, do bear in mind that they've been lurking since 2009.

That said, it does seem kind of sudden.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, it would seem sudden in any case.

There are plenty of cases around here of long-time lurkers who wait months, or even a year or more, before posting. This Tamias person couldn't have participated much in the game or commentary before joining up.

I've already sent a PM to Tamias in my [modhat] capacity, asking for more information on their intentions and interest level. But yeah, random newbies are OK, but we probably don't need more random noobs. There being a difference.

So let's give Tamias a break; there is absolutely nothing wrong with having been a lurker, as such. I know lurkers on this forum who are quite likeable, and I'm sure you do too, Maya.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Oh mang, I've created a monster out of a throwaway one-shot :D

Now the Bragulans will build an even bigger array, and when the robots blow THAT up, an even bigger one, and park a fleet next to it. The Severny Tango begins! :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darkevilme wrote:Nah is okay. Sides, it was kinda a silly thought anyway. After all stealthed ships probably don't stand much of a chance of finding other stealthers without compromising their own stealth with active scanners, which Audacity is under orders not to do. So unless i'm off base on how stealth in space works little would come of it.
A thought just occured to me.

What if all the stealth ships are deciding to investigate the same thing? The possibility of interaction increases then. Likewise, the ships might get involved when an outside party finds one of the ships.

So I wouldn't rule anything out.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Darkevilme wrote:
Master_Baerne wrote:
Nah is okay. Sides, it was kinda a silly thought anyway. After all stealthed ships probably don't stand much of a chance of finding other stealthers without compromising their own stealth with active scanners, which Audacity is under orders not to do. So unless i'm off base on how stealth in space works little would come of it.
Well, it depends on who sends their ship first, though that's a stretch given the distances involved.
Last edited by Force Lord on 2011-01-25 03:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Another appearance from Thompson S. Hunter; and, again, hopefully it is as entertaining for you as it was for me.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a larger, more serious post tonight that actually has dinosaurs as main characters again.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Force Lord wrote:Nah is okay. Sides, it was kinda a silly thought anyway. After all stealthed ships probably don't stand much of a chance of finding other stealthers without compromising their own stealth with active scanners, which Audacity is under orders not to do. So unless i'm off base on how stealth in space works little would come of it.
Well, it depends on who sends their ship first, though that's a stretch given the distances involved.[/quote]The ships might well loiter in the area for a long time. Hell, they might even be under orders to see who else shows up.