SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Post by Steve »

On to OOC thread three! Well, technically thread four, but the first thread was also heavy on planning. :)

And in case people missed it, LoC9 isn't looking to fight with the Karlacks. Though, honestly, I still maintain he wouldn't even be in range yet, but around T-19 or U-20.

That said, Shady needn't delete his post. His fleet could be moving to intercept them as they arrive in the region; the Prussians get the update that the standoff ended and turn away before the Karlacks engage.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

To be fair, unless there are freaky Karlack splinter fleets lurking in deep space roaming around and stuff, I think the Prussies could just kick up some speed and outrun the monstrosities and return to the safety of Prussian space.

But maybe that's what the Karlacks want. To send them a message. Come to the K-Zone, expect to be challenged.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I agree that LoC shouldn't really be there yet. In fact I doubt he'd have made it halfway across the map by the point the crisis resolved itself.
Lord_Of_Change 9 wrote:I don't want to play, particularly insofar as it involves fighting a battle against massively superior ships.
With respect, but one wonders what you were moving toward the K-Zone for then. All our ships are like that.

To put this in perspective, your heaviest battleship comes in at 300 points, with the next-largest coming in at 100. My smallest capital warcraft clocks 75 points and is regarded as a glorified picket; my cruiser/destroyer hybrid is 150, and battleship analogs don't start 'till you hit 400. Shady's and Fin's largest supercapitals mass 1,000. I don't want to beat our own collective drum here, but really... For better or worse, in terms of individual warship tonnage the K-Zone is in a league of its own. If you want to play in our sandbox you better bring a lot of ships, and be prepared to lose a lot of them too.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

BTW, happy birthday Siege. :)
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Word from MiniFor was that the Prussians hadn't been taking Umeria seriously lately, and the top brass was trusting Antoni to help make sure they started paying attention again.

Command had been nonspecific as to how.
Man. Chernov did NOT like the Prussians fucking with him

DOES DOCTOR MAXIM CHERNOV LOOK LIKE A BITCH?!

THEN WHY DID YOU FUCK HIM LIKE A BITCH?!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Steve wrote:And in case people missed it, LoC9 isn't looking to fight with the Karlacks. Though, honestly, I still maintain he wouldn't even be in range yet, but around T-19 or U-20.

That said, Shady needn't delete his post. His fleet could be moving to intercept them as they arrive in the region; the Prussians get the update that the standoff ended and turn away before the Karlacks engage.
Fine by me. I'll leave the post standing, and as far as I am concerned we scared off their fleet on their way into the Koprulu Zone. The Prussians can consider this a friendly warning, if you come to the K-Zone then you better be ready to play by Koprulu Zone Rules. :D
Shroom Man 777 wrote:But maybe that's what the Karlacks want. To send them a message. Come to the K-Zone, expect to be challenged.
Exactly. That and we were hungry. :wink:

Also: Happy Birthday Siege! :D
KlavoHunter wrote:And if the Karlack decide to have their sauerkraut now rather than later, how many of those destroyed Prussian ship hulks are in condition enough to be hauled home to be infested with shipworms ( ) and eventually turned back upon their once allies?
The dinner got away. :P Still anyone fighting the Karlack can expect such a fate for their ships.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

DarthShady wrote: The dinner got away. :P Still anyone fighting the Karlack can expect such a fate for their ships.
Hmm...

A Final Solution to the Karlack Problem presents itself thusly ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

PeZook wrote:
DarthShady wrote: The dinner got away. :P Still anyone fighting the Karlack can expect such a fate for their ships.
Hmm...

A Final Solution to the Karlack Problem presents itself thusly ;)
It simply means another crusade is in order.

*plots to remobilize the entire Imperium economy for the purpose of war, again*
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

*sigh*

You're not very subtle and crafty, even for organics :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

PeZook wrote:*sigh*

Don't think I can't see through your sneaky plan, vile machine. You would be wise not to underestimate all organics. :wink:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

DarthShady wrote: Don't think I can't see through your sneaky plan, vile machine. You would be wise not to underestimate all organics. :wink:
We prefer not to use estimates at all, in fact. Statistical analysis FTW!

*returns to analyzing a five-dimensional data table with results of the Solarian Lotto*

Oooh...interesting!

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think I just outdid myself.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The Imperium is one of single minded purpose.

We aim to crush all xenos, including xeno robots. :D
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

DarthShady wrote:The dinner got away. :P Still anyone fighting the Karlack can expect such a fate for their ships.
What, getting away?
I... think I get it.

As for the Byzantines, all the subtle got burned out of them and replaced with GRIMDARK. Which is kind of sad, because they used to be so good at it. They've sacrificed so much of their old culture, like the mosaics. And subtlety.

Hmm. In real life "Byzantine" means all complicated and political. In this setting, maybe it's the rest of the galaxy's term for Koprulu Zone rules, and thus means the opposite of what it used to mean!
Shroom Man 777 wrote:I think I just outdid myself.
[reads]... Yes, Shroom, you just outdid yourself.

[shudders]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Siege wrote:
Lord_Of_Change 9 wrote:I don't want to play, particularly insofar as it involves fighting a battle against massively superior ships.
With respect, but one wonders what you were moving toward the K-Zone for then. All our ships are like that.

To put this in perspective, your heaviest battleship comes in at 300 points, with the next-largest coming in at 100. My smallest capital warcraft clocks 75 points and is regarded as a glorified picket; my cruiser/destroyer hybrid is 150, and battleship analogs don't start 'till you hit 400. Shady's and Fin's largest supercapitals mass 1,000. I don't want to beat our own collective drum here, but really... For better or worse, in terms of individual warship tonnage the K-Zone is in a league of its own. If you want to play in our sandbox you better bring a lot of ships, and be prepared to lose a lot of them too.

And I always thought I was going big with $650-rated Command Flagships as my most powerful single unit. :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:I think I just outdid myself.
[reads]... Yes, Shroom, you just outdid yourself.

[shudders]
My diabolical plan succeeds! :D
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

To think, you and Shady were asking me for this even before I made my first in-game post or something. :P

Hey Darkevilme, Arri should ask Callahan what its directives are. Then the AI would show:

:twisted:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:To think, you and Shady were asking me for this even before I made my first in-game post or something. :P

Hey Darkevilme, Arri should ask Callahan what its directives are. Then the AI would show:
:twisted:
I'm not denying that's true, there's a few reasons the Blades are the only ones with autonomous AI aboard after all.
But i will say Arri should be very glad that the Monolith's are not spooling up to jump right this instant.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Steve wrote:
Siege wrote:

And I always thought I was going big with $650-rated Command Flagships as my most powerful single unit. :P
Yeah, well you're not LoC9. I'm pretty sure that's you-singular, not you-plural he's talking.

I don't disagree with the idea of 300$ battleships; anything designed as the primary heavy combatant and significantly larger than most probable opposition, designed for battle, is a battleship in my book.

Battle. Ship. Battleship.

But if you're not willing to risk engaging big ships with small ones, then yes you do need to take the size of opposing capital ships into account. LoC9 in particular has no excuse for not doing that because he joined the game after most of us already had published ORBATs; he has no logical reason not to know what kind of ships you see in the Koprulu Sector.

When I commissioned 400$ dreadnoughts I knew roughly what I was getting into. My fleet doctrine is perfectly willing to throw them in pairs or larger groups against heavier enemy units, and I named them "dreadnoughts" more in the sense of "they don't dread anything in space" than in the sense of "they can beat anything in space."

I'm not sure LoC9 can say the same, though to be fair he named them "battleships" and not the more ambitious "dreadnoughts." Still, though, if he's afraid to use his "battleships" to give battle against enemy line combatants, including combatants belonging to one of the nations he dispatched them to fight (the Karlacks...) one wonders what he built them for.

For that matter, unless the Karlacks sent along one of their six "World Eater" class flagships (I doubt it), nothing in their fleet will be all that much more dangerous than the Prussians' capital ships one on one.

Also...
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Word from MiniFor was that the Prussians hadn't been taking Umeria seriously lately, and the top brass was trusting Antoni to help make sure they started paying attention again.
Command had been nonspecific as to how.
Man. Chernov did NOT like the Prussians fucking with him
DOES DOCTOR MAXIM CHERNOV LOOK LIKE A BITCH?!
THEN WHY DID YOU FUCK HIM LIKE A BITCH?!
I feel this deep impulse to parody that scene from Pulp Fiction now. God, Shroom, you do weird things to people.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Simon_Jester wrote: God, Shroom, you do weird things to people.
8)

I bring out the best/worst in people.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote: God, Shroom, you do weird things to people.
8)

I bring out the best/worst in people.
And with the proper stimulation, you bring out the "ack", "eck", "ARGGHHH" from people. :D

*plots more diabolical plans*
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shit, Shroom, Bragulans are worse than Tau...
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:Shit, Shroom, Bragulans are worse than Tau...
The Imperium and Bragulans have some plans for the remaining Tau in Bragulan custody.

We are going to be absolute douche bags about it. :twisted:
Kreia
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Simon_Jester wrote: For that matter, unless the Karlacks sent along one of their six "World Eater" class flagships (I doubt it), nothing in their fleet will be all that much more dangerous than the Prussians' capital ships one on one.
Luckily for us we never fight one on one. We fight dirty.I thought the whole Swarm thing would be a good indication as to our preferred tactics. :wink:

Also: Shroom, that was... :lol: I doubt things could get much worse for the poor Albino bastards...
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

DarthShady wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote: For that matter, unless the Karlacks sent along one of their six "World Eater" class flagships (I doubt it), nothing in their fleet will be all that much more dangerous than the Prussians' capital ships one on one.
Luckily for us we never fight one on one. We fight dirty.I thought the whole Swarm thing would be a good indication as to our preferred tactics. :wink:

Also: Shroom, that was... :lol: I doubt things could get much worse for the poor Albino bastards...
Too late! I just fed Shroom a new idea! :D
Kreia