SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Heh, well, obviously he's so well-invested in it that he can't even be bothered to acknowledge that he's mistaken. :lol:

Whatever.
That from an infantile prick who went shrill over "OH NOES I'm going to lose the Panama Canal!" and "OH NOES! Someone is building another Canal and turning mine into a white elephant!"? That's rich.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Damn! Alyrium's frogs are going to eat the Regency!

...oh well, it's not like that bit with them and the Collectors was at all important ;)

Also:
*waves dick around*
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Is this true, Fingolfin? Did Ryan Thunder pooh-pooh you?

Well, perhaps a little.

Well, then, damn it all! What more evidence do you need? The pooh-poohing alone is a court martial offense!

I can assure you, sir, that the pooh-poohing was purely circumstantial.

Well, I hope so, Fingolfin. You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh!

:P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:Damn! Alyrium's frogs are going to eat the Regency!

...oh well, it's not like that bit with them and the Collectors was at all important ;)

Also:
*waves dick around*
Pfft. Go make more babies so that I and Shady can go kidnap every one of them. :lol:
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Avoiding that will take a lot of forbearance and civilized behavior from the players.
You are kidding yourself.
No, I'm making a point. Apparently too fine a point.

See, normal people can compromise in the interests of cooperative achievement. What I said was true: making the Psychic Olympics worth paying attention to will require forbearance and civilized behavior on the part of the players. People who are willing to take setbacks for the sake of plot, who can accept that they (or their chosen avatar) isn't the Invincible God of Absolutely Everything.

I can do that. Force Lord can do that. Steve can do that. I bet Siege or Shroomy can do that. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan do it, because in this game he's shown the ability to laugh at himself, which is a key first step.

Can you? I haven't seen any sign of it in this game so far, and especially no signs in the commentary, if you can.
Anyway, I think we can agree that the Byzantines aren't coming because they're too busy flexing their muscles about how awesome they are to actually do anything.
We are too busy fighting wars than dealing with weak kneeled fools outside the K-zone.
Fine by me. Go wrestle some Grizzly Bragulans or something to prove how kickass your Space Marines are. Have fun.

It'll be a lot more entertaining than watching you insist on how absolutely everything you have is better than its counterpart everywhere else.
Beowulf wrote:It has been the point [of the Olympics], but at least with reality, there's a well defined way to determine who wins. In this, it's all just dickwavery. There no way to actually say that one country is actually superior. It might as well all be settled with a random number generator.
Yes. To make it work it would have to be settled either by random outcomes, or by some agreed-on storyline that was actually fun to read and write.
PeZook wrote:Damn! Alyrium's frogs are going to eat the Regency!

[chants numbly]

There is no Regency of the Engine. It was all a dream. There are only Ranoids.

Obey the Hypnotoad...

[wanders off in trance]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Let's de-escalate hear guise.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:See, normal people can compromise in the interests of cooperative achievement. What I said was true: making the Psychic Olympics worth paying attention to will require forbearance and civilized behavior on the part of the players. People who are willing to take setbacks for the sake of plot, who can accept that they (or their chosen avatar) isn't the Invincible God of Absolutely Everything.

I can do that. Force Lord can do that. Steve can do that. I bet Siege or Shroomy can do that. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan do it, because in this game he's shown the ability to laugh at himself, which is a key first step.

Can you? I haven't seen any sign of it in this game so far, and especially no signs in the commentary, if you can.
... You know, I can't be bothered to go dig up actual evidence, since that entails digging through like how many pages of MSN conversations and whatever, and your presumptiveness is annoying considering this is your first game you are playing.
Fine by me. Go wrestle some Grizzly Bragulans or something to prove how kickass your Space Marines are. Have fun.

It'll be a lot more entertaining than watching you insist on how absolutely everything you have is better than its counterpart everywhere else.
Go cry me a damn river.
Kreia
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Fin, Simon - chill. This is not worth arguing about.

The Psychic Olympics can be an awesome cooperative event, or they can be yet another imaginary dick-waving contest. I know which one I prefer, and I suspect that everybody else prefers the same, so what say we stop trying to decide who's at fault and just move on?
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The perfidious Frenchman speaks the truth.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hmm. Interesting. [Wonders what the Silver Shield is]

As for the rest, fine, I don't really want to keep swapping sneers. All I know is that I don't really give a damn what people did in past games (especially when their behavior in past games led to confrontations that made people despise each other, as seems to have happened with the MESS/CATO split). I've been gauging people by their SDNW4 behavior.

Insofar as that doesn't tell me things I might have gotten from watching them in games one, two, and three... it makes me wonder if perhaps they have changed more than some of us would be willing to admit. Or if perhaps whatever they originally did to make people like or hate them was based on circumstances, and really shouldn't color the viewpoint of an outside observer a year or so after the fact.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I say we have the judges be hopelessly corrupt and it turns into a bidding war.

And then the Shepistanis walk away with all the gold medals in the Psyker Olympics because they killed the judges and stole them, just to fuck with people.

Of course it would be interesting to have events like regular Olympics but in Null Fields (activated at the last minute) against non-Espers, so that all those Espers who use their power for physical enhancement are at a sudden disadvantage. Of course nobody ever admits they turned on the Null Fields and, of course, local authorities never find evidence; it was all just Esper whining and excuses because they lost to "normals" and can't accept it. :D

That only works if you have some anti-Esper bias you're trying to push, though...of course (man I used "of course" a lot in this post). :mrgreen:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, I'm pretty sure the host nation doesn't have such a bias.

EDIT: The Shepistanis walking away with the medals would, admittedly, be a great black-comedy ending.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Man, Fingolfin, how could I forget that you hadn't done any dickwaving whatsoever. Image

Also I will endeavour to remember in future that explaining the capabilities of your equipment to a potential customer is considered dickwaving.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Poor Stack. :lol: The Centrality's naval engineering will have a lot of depressed members once it hears the Umerian report.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Now now, Force Lord, it could be worse. He could have found out about these problems ten minutes of full-power beam and one magnet failure later.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Well, back to the drawing board for the Frod. Again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Actually, I hope you'll forgive me if I have some plans for CNS Frod in and around the Battle of Zebes... :D
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Simon_Jester wrote:Actually, I hope you'll forgive me if I have some plans for CNS Frod in and around the Battle of Zebes... :D
Ah, no prob. Frod needs some testing, after all.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Ryan Thunder wrote:Man, Fingolfin, how could I forget that you hadn't done any dickwaving whatsoever. Image
Among all the SDNW players I have encountered, you are definitely the most annoying. In fact, back in SDNW3, some of us thought it might be a good idea to just let Wilkins walk over you after all the shrill nonsense that happened, like how about how your plan to "block the canal just because someone annoyed you" which was the original reason for you sitting on the damn Panama canal, But hey, we would get some good popcorn watching your flail about and drowning in your own damn blood.
Also I will endeavour to remember in future that explaining the capabilities of your equipment to a potential customer is considered dickwaving.
You call that dickwaving? I thought you were some moron who was so desperate to attract any attention to that pathetic nation of yours that you would do anything to get some bragging rights. Maybe we should have just fed you to the MESS as free food. Nevermind that your fantasy planes won't work at all.
Kreia
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

*dun dun dun dun*

What do the Bragulans have for the Sheppoes? A present? awwwwwwww....they didn't have to! ^_________^
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

EDIT: Alright, I can take a hint, Shroom.
Last edited by Ryan Thunder on 2010-11-14 02:23am, edited 1 time in total.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Someone split the thread, please.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Heh, Caturday. :D
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Baerne I am onlein! Let's get baking! :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

In an AIM chat we've been discussing new build times. I like this scheme:

10-29: 2 months
30-54: 3 months
55-99: 4 or 5 months
100-150 point: 6 months
150-200 point: 9 months
200-300: 12 months
300-450: 18 months
450-600: 24 months
600-800: 30 months
800-plus: 36 months, possibly with special mod-modifications for cases of REALLY FREAKING RIDICULOUS ships

Any opposition? I want to adopt it.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED