Lord_Of_Change 9 wrote:
...This is of course, a purely isolated incident and does not reflect expansionism or jingoism. Apart from Volksland, we have no grievances against other star nations in the Grand Trunk area or any desire to intervene in those areas or invade any other nation in that area. Volksland will not be annexed - it will instead be occupied for an undetermined period while we put it back on its feet from its government's abuses.
Lord_Of_Change 9 wrote:
In the hall of the Reichstag, things were anxiously being debated. The 'Volksland Annexation Bill' was being angrily debated, and several times the Speaker had to call for order. Eventually after a vote, the results were 51 fore, 49 against. With a tiny majority, Volksland had just been annexed.
FROM: Maxim Chernov, Second Technarch for Foreign Affairs
TO: Ludwig Gottlieb, Foreign Secretary of the Prussian Star League
The Technocracy views with great alarm the recent news on the Reichstag's deliberations yesterday in Neu Preußen. The Reichstag's support for annexation of the planet Volksland stands in sharp contrast to the assurances we have received of late from the Government to the effect that the Volksland affair is "a purely isolated incident and does not reflect expansionism," and that "Volksland will not be annexed." On the one hand, it would appear to be the will of the League's legislature that Volksland be annexed; on the other, it would appear that the Cabinet has given its solemn word that Volksland shall not be annexed.
We eagerly await further clarification on this matter, and on the apparent contradiction between the position of the Reichstag and the official stance of the Cabinet. Since the matter has now been cast into doubt, we refine our earlier questions. The answers to some of these questions may appear obvious in the eyes of one well versed in Prussian constitutional law, but for the benefit of posterity the Council deems it worthwhile to have the answers on record for future reference:
1) Is it the present policy of His Majesty's government to permanently annex Volksland, or not to permanently annex Volksland?
2) If the policy of the government is not to permanently annex Volksland, do we have the government's assurance that this policy will remain stable over time, rather than changing without warning at the whim of the Reichstag?
3) If the policy of the government is not to permanently annex Volksland, we politely enquire as to the time-frame and scope envisioned for the Star League's occupation of the Volksland system. Roughly how long is the League's control over the system expected to last, and how extensive is that control to be?
4) If the policy of the government is to annex Volksland, do we have the government's assurance that the Star League will not attempt to assert control over interstellar space beyond the borders of the Volksland system, and will continue to respect the customary neutrality of the Grand Coreward Trunk?
5) If the government's policy is to respect the neutrality of interstellar space beyond Volksland's borders, and of the Grand Trunk in particular, do we have the government's assurance that this
policy will remain stable over time, rather than changing without warning at the whim of the Reichstag?