fgalkin wrote:[Widebeam hyperwave transmission from sector C-6 detected]
Greetings, fellow sapients of the galaxy. In light of recent galactic events, we have decided to reconsider our long-standing policy of isolation, and are now seeking diplomatic contact with your civilizations.
Below you will find a set of first contact questions that would greatly assist us in establishing diplomatic relations with your people.
I. Please arrange the following statements according to their compatibility with your civilization’s objectives, principles, and values, starting with the most compatible and ending with the least compatible.
1) The primary purpose of any civilization is to ensure the comfort and prosperity of its citizens.
2) Nature exists only to be conquered; one day we shall be as gods.
3) The universe is a dangerous place and we must be dangerous in return. None shall threaten us without suffering the consequences.
4) Our way is the correct way. Therefore, it is only fitting that we share it with the galaxy.
5) Power is its own reward.
6) Few things are nobler than the quest for knowledge. Fortunately for us, there are many mysteries in the universe yet unexplained.
7) Order and Stability are vital to the survival of any civilization, and must be pursued even at the expense of growth and innovation.
8 ) We are but insects in the grand scheme of things, and must be careful not be stepped on.
II. Hypothetical Scenario: It is the year 4400 according to Standard Human Calendar. Your civilization has achieved complete dominance in the Galaxy. Every one of your rivals is either destroyed or has been converted into an ally. Your citizens are free from want and need. Your civilization is free to undertake any project it chooses at its leisure, with the resources of the entire galaxy at its disposal. Please indicate the primary focus of your civilization’s energies and attention in this hypothetical situation.
Please send your responses, as well as any inquiries of your own to our communication relay station in Sector C-6.
Many thanks for your cooperation.
From: Oaxtoatotol Łichíí of the Nenpanoliz-altuxl Kikialtignahwi
To: The Lost
Firstly, the Nenpanoliz-altuxl Kikialtignahwi extends our warmest salutations to you. We'd be delighted to engage in a more formal diplomatic meeting at your soonest convienence in neutral territory.
As for Part I and Part II, we cannot answer that according to your wishes. Our government is fairly decentralized in power and is highly representative in nature; thus, answers for both parts would differ tremendously based on who was answering them and what sort of representation was most common at the time. I feel confident in saying, though, that our civilization favors true democracy, enlightened citizens, and technological progress as three overarching ideals.
In response, we would ask of you the same questions as you posed to us.