SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread I

Post by Simon_Jester »

Dave wrote:*grumbles* I was starting to write my first actual space combat scene when I realized my wiki descriptions, first draft and ship art style (Honorverse) don't match up (i.e. Honorverse ships don't have disposable box launchers strapped to the outside of the hull). I'm going to have to rethink my ship descriptions before I can write up the post. (It won't change the OOB, just the fluff.)
Without the artificial constraints on ship geometry imposed by the impeller wedge (which we don't have; omnidirectional shields are the norm in this setting), you have a bit more flexibility in arming your ships. There's no reason not to have weapons that fire "up" and "down" through the hull. Or, for that matter, disposable box launchers on the dorsal and ventral surfaces that fired sideways (in the Honorverse the Andermanis actually did this).

One thing to remember is that ships built to the Honorverse scale are big; structural features less than fifty to a hundred meters across will be totally invisible on something the size of a superdreadnought, and can be safely handwaved.

So let your wiki descriptions and first draft take precedence over the pictures you can find online. Unless you're good enough to do your own 3D modeling (like Darkevilme), the best you can hope for is to find ships that roughly match your design concept.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Dave wrote:<snip>
<snip>
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, pictures-wise. Still, even my first draft differed from what I have on the wiki. Of course, I'd like to reconcile the two and be able to use the wiki as my reference/tech bible.
Shouldn't be too hard.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Simon_Jester wrote:
I'm thinking wrong in the sense that someone who made a "Free Alliance of Guilds" would probably get in trouble.
Well, at that point you run into the board's very strongly enforced policy against anything that could be taken as a homosexual slur.
Call it the Free Luminal Alliance of Great Guilds. FLAGG! CUNTS FOR EEEEYES! HAAAA!

I say you should go with a Combined Union of Nations Treaty. Then have an elite force called the Fast Advanced Reaction Taskforce. Have them screw over the Fucklands and Gaymans. And then wage the Gaymean War in SDNW2 PeZookia! :lol:

Man, only the other CATO guys indulge in the fun stuff, like PeZook and Siege and Shady (Stas too, while Fingolfin grumbles a lot, that grumpy-face :P). Only Loinstar is the non funsucker in the MESS guys. And Sheppy-pooh is also similarly fun! Everyone else is poohs! :P

Also, those bizarre Bragulan adventures in Shep's battlestar? ALL Shep's idea! Including plumbing problems! :D
Siege wrote:I dunno. I do know there was a chain of islands called the Gaymans... But only CATO nations called it that, I think everyone in stuffed-up, fun-hating Messica or whatever that dreary continent full of pompous lamo's called themselves referred to it as the Caymans instead :).
HEAR HEAR! :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Actually, PeZookians didn't use the "Gaymans" monicker, but that's because we were stuck-up penny pinching monarchists led by a Polish accountant. ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You still had a Gaymean War though! :D
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Man, only the other CATO guys indulge in the fun stuff, like PeZook and Siege and Shady (Stas too, while Fingolfin grumbles a lot, that grumpy-face :P). Only Loinstar is the non funsucker in the MESS guys. And Sheppy-pooh is also similarly fun! Everyone else is poohs! :P
*looks pompous on his throne*

Shroom, you didn't put enough Pu-239 in my nuke. Go back and make sure it's done right! Or off with your head! :mrgreen:
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:You still had a Gaymean War though! :D
We didn't call it that, either ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You did! Goddamn it! :D

Oh man, only Shroomanians called it Gaymea! Damn! :lol:

SHROOMCOATS!

Damn, SDNW4 will be missing in terms of Shroomisms. Man. Such is the price for playing MIGHTY BRAGULE.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Dave wrote:Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, pictures-wise. Still, even my first draft differed from what I have on the wiki. Of course, I'd like to reconcile the two and be able to use the wiki as my reference/tech bible.
Shouldn't be too hard.
Edit the wiki to match your story pieces, not the other way around. As long as it's your wiki, what's the problem?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hey Siege, when do we get to see Sidney's date with Sinclair?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hey Siege, when do we get to see Sidney's date with Sinclair?
Unlike Steve, I prefer to leave such things to the imagination of the reader :).
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hey! I resent that. I've already had posts where implied romance was left firmly off screen. :P

*grumbles more*
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

:lol:

Such a quick reaction Steve! :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Shroom Man 777 wrote::lol:

Such a quick reaction Steve! :D
Well, I did just click the thread..... :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Simon_Jester wrote:Edit the wiki to match your story pieces, not the other way around. As long as it's your wiki, what's the problem?
It's not a problem, it will just take a little time. That's all.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Okay, okay, we can call it the Combined Union of Nations Treaty Organization as a compromise. :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If you don't call it CUNT, the Bragulans will nuke your goddamn planets! :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

What's wrong with CUNTO? It sounds Portuguese! :P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Make Miratian Spanish or something in language, or at least have Spanish integrated to the lingua franca. So when they say CUNTO, they will say El CUNTO! :lol:

El Cunto Gigante!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Make Miratian Spanish or something in language, or at least have Spanish integrated to the lingua franca. So when they say CUNTO, they will say El CUNTO! :lol:

El Cunto Gigante!
There are undoubtedly Spanish-speaking people living on Nova Miratia and elsewhere, but Miraali has always been Trinidadian Creole English. :P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hrm... I wonder if we can create a Space Spain, and then all the immigrants going to Miratia will upset the Miratians and they will hunt down the illegal immigrants and, like, ban speaking Spanish since whatever creole Engrish is your national language or some shit. Then they can build a space fence to keep the illegals out.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Okay, anyone with ships in the attack fleet, here's your chance to write something on that big god damned Monolith burning in to killfuck the invasion fleet. :P

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Good work 'Zook and/or Steve. Makes me wish I had something in that half of the fleet, though I've got my own concerns finishing my Battle of Bannerman story (as distinct from the Battle of Pendleton).
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

But... I don't like having my ships killfucked. Makes me rather unhappy, it does.

And to think, the Anglicans didn't want any heavy units committed. :D
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Master_Baerne wrote:But... I don't like having my ships killfucked. Makes me rather unhappy, it does.

And to think, the Anglicans didn't want any heavy units committed. :D
Nasty, tricksy Collectors.... 8)