SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread I

Post by PeZook »

I meant more in the sense of the areas where most time is wasted - that is, logistical planning, target assignments, etc.

You can have the fleets run excercises together, while a bunch of experts figure out interface solutions acceptale to everyone. In the meantime, AIs take all the mundane, trivial data about the target and spit out ready-made operational plans, assignments, simulations and wargames for all variants, etc.

You know, the total gruntwork that 90% of all operational planning is composed of - the reason why it takes so damn long to prepare any large operation.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

PeZook wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: Free Genetic material? :wink:
It's not like Bragulans are hard to come by or anything :D

EDIT: Also, Oliver Gill learns his mission might be less glorious than he thinks...
Since when did the Collectors quibble about small technicalities? :wink:
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

PeZook wrote:I meant more in the sense of the areas where most time is wasted - that is, logistical planning, target assignments, etc.

You can have the fleets run excercises together, while a bunch of experts figure out interface solutions acceptale to everyone. In the meantime, AIs take all the mundane, trivial data about the target and spit out ready-made operational plans, assignments, simulations and wargames for all variants, etc.

You know, the total gruntwork that 90% of all operational planning is composed of - the reason why it takes so damn long to prepare any large operation.
True, enough so to be helpful. I'm still a bit dubious of all this being done (starting with the original order to assemble the fleet and culminating in the fleet's departure for Pendleton) in less than thirty days, and if we are going to do it that fast I'd like to see some consequences in the writing for art's sake.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

This is hardly Desert Freaking Storm, though, and part of the entire point of the setup is that the precautions that would be taken for dealing with a proper interstellar state will be ignored for a shithole like Pendleton.

Also, New Anglia has been planning this, for months before game, soon after the Tantalizer was boarded. What's basically happening is the New Anglian battle plan is being slightly altered to account for more forces, and even then this is the reason why we only want the contingents from the Ascendancy, the NenAlt... Akhlut's dino-people, Altacar, and Gotham to partake (I believe I also left the opening for a couple Shepistani Lights) in the actual invasion; everyone else is being left at Bannerman to blockade the gap.

Ultimately the operational plan will be fairly rough, but nobody expects Pendleton to be capable of putting up a fight that would demand better planning.

Naturally their opinion would be different if they knew the Collectors were around. But, of course, they don't.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Until it glows in the dark, shoot all the Araynists in the dark, and steal all their oil. :P

So a Collector ship will be arriving in Pendleton, eh? Hrm... the IBGV might keep a close lookout for it. :wink:
...how would the Bragulans look out for it when it's about ten sectors away? :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Steve wrote:...how would the Bragulans look out for it when it's about ten sectors away? :P
Steve, these are Bragulans. They're perfectly capable of keeping a vigilant watch for something that isn't there, wasn't coming there, won't be coming there, and in fact isn't even within several hundred light years of "there."
Steve wrote:This is hardly Desert Freaking Storm, though, and part of the entire point of the setup is that the precautions that would be taken for dealing with a proper interstellar state will be ignored for a shithole like Pendleton.
Well, all right, this is true. You can hammer together a joint operational plan pretty quick if all you do is say "you guys attack from over here, you guys attack from over there, you guys stay over here and guard the flank," and have each force operate more or less as if the others did not exist.

Though even against a weak enemy command this will have some disadvantages, as long as the enemy command is unified; against a strong enemy it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Good thing we don't have to worry about a strong enemy, eh? :wink:
Also, New Anglia has been planning this, for months before game, soon after the Tantalizer was boarded.
Ah, I see. Got mixed up about that.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Also, would it not make sense that, given the history and proximity, that Anglia would have a few off-the-shelf contingency plans already drawn up for dealing with a troublesome Pendleton? Dust them off and modify them to suit recent developments and off you go.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Also true.

I'm conviced. I still intend to put in a bit about the ad hoc nature of the Coalition forces (not the New Anglian core) causing operational problems, if we're going to do it that way. But any concern I have about the plausibility of the operation being completed that fast is addressed.

Though that still doesn't touch my question about the pace of in-game events relative to the pace of warship construction...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You know, Chamarrans are not very nice people themselves :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Pollux
Padawan Learner

Post by Pollux »

Sorry I haven't been able to dedicate much time to this in the past few days. I've been feeling like crap, as my sleep schedule is totally jacked up, and generally quite un-diabolical in general. :P

Rest assured, things will get interesting... oh yes, they shall... :twisted:
"Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. This is roughly 4,000 times more lakes than people."
Grif
Youngling

Post by Grif »

PeZook wrote:You know, Chamarrans are not very nice people themselves :P
And how would you know that? :P Have you been kidnapping some more of them Chamarrans?
A-Wing_Slash
Padawan Learner

Post by A-Wing_Slash »

Sorry its been a while between posts, its been a busy last few days for me, but I should be more regular going forward. Just to clarify my last post, the ESR's expeditionary forces are assembling, and fixing up their hyperdrives to run the Gap without trouble, at their own naval base a little ways south of Lochley's Retreat before they head out and join the New Anglians and friends. Given the number of people who've signed up for the Pendleton affair, how is the coordination of who's sending what when going to work?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Steve wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Until it glows in the dark, shoot all the Araynists in the dark, and steal all their oil. :P

So a Collector ship will be arriving in Pendleton, eh? Hrm... the IBGV might keep a close lookout for it. :wink:
...how would the Bragulans look out for it when it's about ten sectors away? :P
Not in terms of ships or fleet deployments. Just IBGV agents who've been operating in Pendleton for some time, because due to the Pendletons' possession of human slaves, the IBGV would've sent agents there to purchase those slaves for intelligence-gathering purposes. IBGV guys buy slaves from Pendleton, ship them back to the BSE or to some extraterritorial blacksite for processing, any slave that knows something interesting gets kept, and other slaves that aren't worth anything are returned to Pendleton for a refund. Or thrown out of an airlock. :P

So when the Collector ship comes, the IBGV agents might decide to rig up a civilian ship with sensors to observe the Collector ship. From a safe distance. :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So, the Bragulans are crashing the naval review, then?
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Apparently they didn't read the "No Space Bears Allowed" part. I see a fragtastic misunderstanding that leads to a display of firepower unrivaled that may or may not turn into a number of shooting wars. Maybe we'll get lucky though and only the Space Teddy's will get hurt. :P

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Simon_Jester wrote:So, the Bragulans are crashing the naval review, then?
I also noticed the dig at Prime Minister Smith's iffy spelling. Ironic that the Bragulans would be more literate in a language that they deem to be below them. :P

I think the Byzantine Imperium should crash the review as well; a full-sized Astartes Legion led by a Battle Barge would certainly be nice. :P
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

To be fair, I initially thought that he was including the Brags in the invite. Then I read it again and realized that he said "EXCEPT the Byzantines, Brags, Karlacks, Orks and Pfhor". But I decided to post it anyway, since it seemed funny. :D

EDIT:

It is also doubly hilarious that one of the first nations who replied to his invite is the one he was NOT inviting. :D

EDIT 2:

BLAH! Other people replied before me! Urgh!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:So, the Bragulans are crashing the naval review, then?
I also noticed the dig at Prime Minister Smith's iffy spelling. Ironic that the Bragulans would be more literate in a language that they deem to be below them. :P

I think the Byzantine Imperium should crash the review as well; a full-sized Astartes Legion led by a Battle Barge would certainly be nice. :P
Meh... If I wanted to be an asshole, I would hold my own naval review at the same time as Zor's.

But, I don't have time to indulge in silliness. We have our own huge Victory Day to celebrate...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ha! SHROOM!
Agent Spozavik, the Bragulan spy, receives an enconded message from his handler. The message reads: "Comrade, congratulations! Your wife gave birth to octuplets!"

Spozavik resigns himself to melancholy... it's been a long three years since he left Bragule.
YOU USED THAT JOKE!

Yet...you said you didn't get it!

ARGH! BRAGULAN TREACHERY!

:D

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Give me more to Bragulanize.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Give me more to Bragulanize.
The Joke Thread is full of them :D
Information about Brezhnyev's death was first given by the state TV...during a weather announcement.

"In Moscow, minus one"
Grocery store, the 80s

"Do you have potatoes?"

"Yes"

"For God's sake, don't joke like that!"
The government is discussing whether to increase funding for preschools or prisons. One of the Party bigwigs suddendly gets up and says, "Comrades! We won't go back to preschool!"

So they decided to fund prisons.
A guy comes back from the interrogation at the KGB. His wife, worried, asks, "So? What did they ask you?!"

"Oh, nothing much. They wanted to know if I was an onanist in my youth."

"And? What did you say?!"

"That I was only and forever a communist."

"Dumbass! What if the onanists get into power?!"
A militsiaman grabs a young man by the collar and screams at him, "Are you a student?!"

"No! Just sa vandal!"

"Oh, then I'm terribly sorry, sir."
"Our glorious farm is completely automated!", a proud PGR director brags to inspectors from Warsaw, "See, all I have to do is press this button here, and ten employees with pitchforks run to work immediately!"
A student asks his teacher, "Sir, what are getting in exchange for coal exports to the USSR?"

"The cold", the teacher answers
"We constantly think about your well-being!", a Russian officer says to his Polish colleague, "All we want is your best!"

"I know, but we'd like to keep our best to ourselves"
Two priests meet during the Pope's visit to Poland. One of them seems confused and asks, "Do I know you, father?"

"Of course you do, we work at the 5th Precinct together!"
After entering Poland in 1945, the Red Army is trying to recruit Poles, under the argument that they should reciprocate their liberators by helping them defeat the Nazis.

A peasant listens to the fiery speech by a Russian recruiter and asks him a question, "Did you ever see two dogs fight over a bone?"

"Well, yes, plenty of times", the recruites answers, rather confused

"And did you ever see a bone that took part in that fight?"
Want more? :)

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Jesus those jokes are so very European.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

They're suitably Bragulan :D

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

EAST European.

I bet you watch some weirdo show like "Orlaf is a poor peasant: He only has one wife".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Lonestar wrote: I bet you watch some weirdo show like "Orlaf is a poor peasant: He only has one wife".
Not really, we usually watch reimagined American sitcoms.

...and at least Orlaf's wife is not overweight :P