An SDNW Proposal

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: An SDNW Proposal

Post by MKSheppard »

No, it's finding Roger Wilco, for the Gippazoid company.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I'm tentatively up for it, but I'm not sure.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Any idea what technology should be like at the beginning of the game?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

One of the things to be discussed in the next couple of months, really. Given Shroom's time issues, Thanas' request, and a general need, I think, for some of us to recover from "Game fatigue" I think July is an appropriate start date.

I was considering an "ice cream" scifi (as in soft in texture but hard in consistency - that is, a setting with some sci-fantasy stuff but not a complete Star Wars-like utter fantasy) but a lot depends on what people want to do. The important thing, really, is to ensure equality of outcome and function to avoid "techwank" arguments.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Siege wrote:The ripped sexual tyrannosauruses of the Sovereignty Marine Corps will show your Imperator and your metal contraptions what it means to be manly in space. Hooah!
The actual tyrannosauruses of the Pangalactic Dinosaur Confederacy Space Army will happily devour your SMCs and show you what manliness amounts to in the face of being a fucking dinosaur.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

The Outlander Commissions will use your laughable tyrannosaurs as food and sexual aids for their Colossal Landsquids!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Akhlut wrote:The actual tyrannosauruses of the Pangalactic Dinosaur Confederacy Space Army will happily devour your SMCs and show you what manliness amounts to in the face of being a fucking dinosaur.
Being a fucking dinosaur just means you're a bigger target, boyo. If you bleed, the Sovereignty Marines can and will kill you!
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Bragulan Star Empire must, regrettably, decree the consumption of space dinosaurian meats in order to meet the Great Imperator's mandated nutritonal quota for the peoples! To prevent wastefulness, dinosaurian leather shall be used for the Star Empire Military uniforms and jack boots!

For Mighty Bragule!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

First I apologize for dropping out of SDNW3 so early, but the morphing rule-set was to much trouble to keep track of.

One suggestion I have would be to have the mods provide artificial reasons for players to compete and to work together. In either of the two Stgods I have played their was no reason for people to do more than gravitate to the greatest, most active or most similar power. i.e. in the star wars stgod all the Imperial powers gravitated to alliances, the sith allied and everyone else initially courted Coyote (who unfortunately became inactive shortly into the game despite being the instigator). These alliances were in essence super nations whose interests that would never really conflict.

Thus have the mods distribute goals for each nation. Each nation thus would have interests that they can keep secret or not at their discretion. The goals should have logical rewards or simple rewards from the mods. This is for the ultimate goal of increasing the scope of possible interactions. An example of possible goals would be to obtain technology or to secure a strategic resource.

Anyway I am definitely interested in this STGOD.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Make me an Imperium.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Make me an Imperium.
I don't think we'll be returning to the old tier systems.

Not that I'd complain since I'd get to be an Imperium too :twisted: :wink: but I think one of the things everyone liked about SDNW3 was the roughly equal footing.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I'm in. Ludicrous space hijinks are always fun!
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

The problem with the post based power system is that it simply gave some players too big of a head start, one that people like myself couldn't really hope to match without allies. This led to some of the big players allying to keep their lead, and there was just an arrangement of huge power blocks that kinda stifled things.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I think I mentioned this in chat, but I'm of the opinion a better model would be several planets with multiple factions on each planet. Pure -spacebased STGOD will make it difficult to wage war(as planets will either be "indestructible fortresses" or "nuke the planets from orbit, only way to be sure.")
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I like the idea of one system per player. You could have something with lots of worlds that are mostly barren rocks, or a few earthlike planets that are extremely valuable.

As for space travel...

Maybe something like the Jump points in Battletech. You have options for travel routes, and there are some strategically important locations, but it's not like you can just turtle in one system and block all attacks.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Since much of ASVS is now all but inaccessible I'd have to double check some of my recollections but this bears a STRONG resemblance to one of the most fun periods of STGOD-ing back in those days. For those who aren't aware of the history of STGOD (and thus why it is even called such) we had a massive reset due to the prevalence of no less than 5 galaxy-destroying powers amongst the various players...so we had a reset where the entire cluster of galaxies our timeline existed within be subject to a sort of Ragnarok due to the intervention of Sauron after which we all rebuilt our nations as early interstellar empires.

It was fun in that:
a) The nature of STGODing still allowed for "I sent 10,000 space marines to destroy you...well I send 5,000 bombers to carpet bomb them in their victory pose...well I jump a fleet in to annihilate your bombers...etc, etc" that made STGODs fun BUT it placed a limit to the realistic numbers and lethality of everyone involved
b) We got to reset ourselves in a way that erased the old divisions between the haves and have-nots (see also the brief and inglorious reign of Rob Wilson as head of LIP)
c) The interstellar setting allows for a lot of freedom to grow, get in to conflict, lose, regroup, and start again. It avoids issues such as the fall of the Dutch permanently altering the balance of power or Colombia throwing its entire army in to Panama because the canal is so important, in other words by making each individual planet less important it reduces the natural inclination of the player to burn every bridge to prevent its loss (by way of example one of the wars we fought during this round of play I started out landing an expeditionary force on a planet held by the Mafiosa, took half the planet then suffered a counter-attack that scorched the earth around a dozen cities on one of my planets, suffered the loss of another to an attack by a third power, finished conquering the first planet and then set down a peace where a new neutral NPC was established in the combat zone...all because none of my vital interests were actually threatened.

So basically I think it can work we would just need a few good rules of thumb and a willingness on everybody's part to remember its a game you don't play to win, its a game you play to enjoy.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

"In the Name of the Holy God Emperor of Terra, I proclaim Crusade against the vile Space Shrooms. They are a scourge of humanity and they refuse the acknowledge the God Emperor as Master. Such heresy shall not be abided Therefore, by order of the God Emperor himself, I proclaim Crusade against Shroom. Scourge the heretic, burn the witch. We shall purge their existence from the face of this galaxy, hunt them down like animals they are, until the ends of the galaxy far from sun."
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Lonestar wrote:I think I mentioned this in chat, but I'm of the opinion a better model would be several planets with multiple factions on each planet. Pure -spacebased STGOD will make it difficult to wage war(as planets will either be "indestructible fortresses" or "nuke the planets from orbit, only way to be sure.")
I'll have to concur with this.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

For all the 40k references, will there be psykers in game? Because I can get behind that.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Lonestar wrote:I think I mentioned this in chat, but I'm of the opinion a better model would be several planets with multiple factions on each planet. Pure -spacebased STGOD will make it difficult to wage war(as planets will either be "indestructible fortresses" or "nuke the planets from orbit, only way to be sure.")
I'll have to concur with this.
Well, I had my heart set on playing on a world like Chiron from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. If we go with the continent idea, I call dibs on the middle one, the land mass to the east of the L shaped continent.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

One thing to say about the multi continent idea is that there needs to be some way to stop entire planets being make into fortresses. I mean there is the risk of power blocs forming and forcing SDNW2 style continental fortresses in terms of defences and power. That would need to be addressed.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

CmdrWilkens wrote: So basically I think it can work we would just need a few good rules of thumb and a willingness on everybody's part to remember its a game you don't play to win, its a game you play to enjoy.
A good point, but we do have some people around here for whom enjoyment is fucking things up for other players that displease them or irritate them in some way.

Lonestar wrote: I think I mentioned this in chat, but I'm of the opinion a better model would be several planets with multiple factions on each planet. Pure -spacebased STGOD will make it difficult to wage war(as planets will either be "indestructible fortresses" or "nuke the planets from orbit, only way to be sure.")
I don't think the Alpha Centauri-style game is expansive enough. One of the advantages of this system will be plenty of room for new players or for others to remain active if someone stops playing for whatever reason.

The issue of planets is best dealt with by ensuring their rarity. Nobody wants to see an Earth-like planet, natural or via terraforming, nuked because there's only one natural Earth-like world per sector and terraforming takes centuries to complete. At the same time, permit defensive tech that makes taking a planet an appropriate effort, especially if it's a Core World as opposed to some fringe planet.

If anything this goes hand in hand with Wilkens' point about the setting permitting people to lose a war without getting utterly and completely fucked over; the prospect of something like the conquest of the Dutch in SDNW3 occurring is rather less likely to occur.

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

The first STGODs I participated in were space-based ones, in fact. If possible, I'd like to redo my "Haruhi Suzumiya IN SPACE" faction from STGOD 2k8 for this one, depending on how soft the setting is. If not, then I'll probably just continue on with my usual Code Geass-inspired schtick, complete with mindless drone soldiers chanting "ALL HAIL SPACE BRITANNIA!" at every opportunity. :D
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I'm throwing another vote in for a non-planetbound game. One or two worlds is less fluid.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I want my Space Marines, along with Battle Barges and Battleships. Time to reactivate some old ideas that I toyed around with in the Star Wars STGODs.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia