SDN World 3 Commentary Thread III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread III

Post by Thanas »

Spain as wished by MoP is taken care of by me till he comes back.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Why I listed them in the second list.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

And so the Coastal Push begins!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Alright, the last posts close Q3 for me. Next up: Q4.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Why do I imagine "Deutscher gehen Haus !" written on a dutch wall... ? :P

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hey. Someone got the injoke (at last somebody finally found one from oh so many that nobody caught on....)

:lol:
------------
------------
My LPs
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Thanas wrote:Hey. Someone got the injoke (at last somebody finally found one from oh so many that nobody caught on....)

:lol:
Who will commmand the quack legion in the struggles to come :P ?

Louis XVI is also there.
Perhaps I should have given the Tuscan crown princess cake instead of wine ?

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Note: If our IC stuff isn't settled up to New Year's 1927 by next Saturday, I'm declaring time freeze until we can catch up.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Just so anyone is wondering, by miraculous unity, I meant the Indian Continent.

And Miraculous it will be indeed.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Aaaand so the push grinds to a halt. Plus, bonus warcrime!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

It is done...The Confederacy is once again at peace. Now for the clean up and bringing things in order again. I was going to write a far larger version of events, but I am restricted by time and as such was forced to wrap it up sooner. As there are events in the world that I must respond too.
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Ok going over the claims thread to find out what remains of the British empire are left in the Indian Ocean.

So first I notice that the British Indian Ocean territory (read Diego Garcia) has been claimed by both my British predecessor and Lonestar. So who has the place after all?

By the same token, I also did not find anyone having claimed away from Britain Socotra or Zanzibar. This being the case I claim that the Union Jack is still flying over both. :mrgreen:

Further east I understand Singapore is some kind of Codominium with the Byzantine Empire, but what is the status of Brunei?
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Well, for Singapore, I own the land, you are leasing it...
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

You (that is Lascaris, that is Britain) have a naval base in Bahrain, on ground leased from the local Emir and, by extension, the Sultanate. Bean and I agreed on this a long, long time ago. It's not the Indian Ocean proper, in fact it's a bit awkwardly positioned vis-a-vis Shepistan, but even so it is one perfectly functional fleet base in throwing distance of the Indian Ocean.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Socotra is Byzantine I believe. I don't remember if Zanzibar is British or German. Brunei is part of the Southeast Asian Union.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:Socotra is Byzantine I believe. I don't remember if Zanzibar is British or German. Brunei is part of the Southeast Asian Union.
That's news to me. :?
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, it's colored purple on the map.

Not that it'd be too useful as a naval base due to the high cliffs on one side and shallow waters on the other. IIRC main access to the island today is by air, not sea.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:Well, it's colored purple on the map.

Not that it'd be too useful as a naval base due to the high cliffs on one side and shallow waters on the other. IIRC main access to the island today is by air, not sea.
Er yeah.... I can't see any point of having them either... I mean, it's only useful as a coastal fort probably.
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Lascaris wrote:Ok going over the claims thread to find out what remains of the British empire are left in the Indian Ocean.

So first I notice that the British Indian Ocean territory (read Diego Garcia) has been claimed by both my British predecessor and Lonestar. So who has the place after all?
It's mine. Bean ignored my claim becaused I used the proper term for the island chain(Chagos) and din't put two and two togather. Bean's IO holdings include the Pondicherry Enclaves, however.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Out of curiosity, as much as I like an avoidance of everyone being happy-happy lovey-dovey, why exactly are we having "everyone get antsy and aggressive with Lonestar" at the moment? From what I saw, it's basically a function of misunderstanding: the Grand Dominion's military has an internal study that proposes a mine barrage to even odds in a war with a navally superior power, it gets leaked, France and Germany shit a brick at the prospect of the Gulf of Aden being mined, the Grand Dominion insists it's only a study. Then Dominion has a training exercise for laying a barrage - a good way to determine the operational system and work out obvious kinks - and Germany goes ballistic, believing it a betrayal of "it's only a study" remark, and reinforces its IO squadrons, which in turn causes the Grand Dominion to become suspicious of the European hegemon's behavior and step up its own preparations because it believes it's about to be attacked on two fronts by Germany and their various allies, including another peace overture to Shepistan (which, in turn, despite being a valid political response to the situation, can only further clinch the OOC perception that Shep and Lonestar aren't really enemies and only pretend to be enemies to justify large militaries they can then use to fuck with people).

That about sum it up?

If so, why the heck are Egypt and Byzantium being pro-German when it's clear it's primarily a misunderstanding? Think about this logically: What purpose would mining the Gulf of Aden have for the Grand Dominion aside from a war with a European naval power, and even then it'd only have to if Egypt granted them transit. If the long-anticipated Dominion-Shepistan war occurs - there's no guarantee Lord Fairfax's initiatives will bear any fruit anyway - then any mine barrage will likely be laid further north, toward Oman, rather far-ish from the Gulf of Aden. And what has Lonestar's government done to make anyone believe he's about to attack the holdings of a European power along the Indian Ocean?

I can't help but think some of this is certain players acting IC on OOC attitudes about Lonestar, particularly his behavior in SDNW2. We went through this shit over the Soviet-Manchurian War and we went through it over Czechmate's presence in the game and I am tired of it. I know it's not something you can easily dump but, for the sake of RP, please try?

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Eh? Why put me in the equation? As it is, I'm largely neutral/silent on the issue.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Misread, my bad. :oops:

*Gibbs-slaps self*

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Steve wrote:If so, why the heck are Egypt and Byzantium being pro-German when it's clear it's primarily a misunderstanding?
I would imagine it's obvious why Egypt would side with Europe: a naval war between Germany and its allies versus the Dominion would be the perfect time to address the issue of Dominion control of the Bab el-Mandeb and, by extension, Yemen itself. And for the record, I don't like being accused of foul play before being given a chance to explain my nation's behaviour.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Siege wrote:
Steve wrote:If so, why the heck are Egypt and Byzantium being pro-German when it's clear it's primarily a misunderstanding?
I would imagine it's obvious why Egypt would side with Europe: a naval war between Germany and its allies versus the Dominion would be the perfect time to address the issue of Dominion control of the Bab el-Mandeb and, by extension, Yemen itself. And for the record, I don't like being accused of foul play before being given a chance to explain my nation's behaviour.
Hum. Okay, guess I can't argue with that logic.

Though I should point out your Aegean ally is facing down the other Subcontinent state....

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

So because Egypt is at war with the Dominion, its mortal enemy Shepistan attacks Byzantium which by Fin's own words is "largely neutral/silent on the issue"? Yeah, that makes sense. Or not. What was that about clinching suspicions again?