SDN World 3 Commentary Thread III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread III

Post by DarthShady »

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Steve, the game is dead, the few active players left can't do much to change that. As much as I have tried, I personally have lost interest in it and would like to move on to other things.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:On a conversation that was OOC! The post is out.
Fine. It hardly changes anything in the grand matter of things, anyway.
Sure, you've got future storylines, but what about everyone else? Hell, who else is left? And of the active players, who can do anything? Lascaris certainly can't, his choice is "Accept German hegemony" or "suffer complete isolation" (since his attempts at a balance of power have exploded rather spectacular, in no small part I imagine due to his personality and methods of diplomacy).

And if you think this is just the mods deciding the game is effectively over, why don't you ask around? I have, and a general opinion of the game having run its course is what I found with all exceptions save you, Shep, and, maybe, Lonestar (I'm not sure).

And that's actually the reason I made this post; to see if anyone has contrary opinions. If people want to continue writing stuff in this world they can feel free too, but seeing all the people who've quit, gone inactive, or simply are sitting around, we came to the consensus that the game was dead.

So, anyone else agree with Thanas?
So....what is going to happen if I have storylines that involve other countries, for example the soviet union or Egypt or Tuscany?

I'll say right here that I'll most likely will not take part in any future STGODs, whether on this board or otherwise, simply because I really hate to go through all this effort to simply have it gone to waste.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote: So....what is going to happen if I have storylines that involve other countries, for example the soviet union or Egypt or Tuscany?
Then you ask the people who controlled them if they're up for doing so, and if they're NPCs, well... do what you want I suppose. I mean, if the game's over but you're still posting stuff because you've written it, might as well show the fruits of your labor?
I'll say right here that I'll most likely will not take part in any future STGODs, whether on this board or otherwise, simply because I really hate to go through all this effort to simply have it gone to waste.
It's something those of us who've played these games have gone through before. Sometimes, despite all the time you invest into something, it doesn't pan out. A game proves to lack the necessary chemistry to keep itself going, whether it's simply a problem of mechanics or of players who are unable to find their muses or a way to participate in things set up by others.

You've done some pretty awesome, elaborate story posts, so I can see why you're aggravated to have the game end after just half a year given the work put into them. That's why I think you should post them even if it's clear this game is dead; I actually enjoyed them.

By the same token, though, it might be best to reserve your A game writing for projects not so reliant upon outside involvement, or for just an occasional big post if a major game event is developing. This would reduce the time you invest into writing for an STGOD and make it less a gamble of possibly wasting time should the STGOD not survive as long as you'd like.

Honestly, SDNW3 hasn't done that bad. SDNW1 lasted half the time SDNW3 did before it went BOOM with a major nuclear war. As games go SDNW3, while not successful, has shown us more on what'll work and what won't in trying to construct rulesets for games, and I think we could find a formula between the extremes of SDNW2 and SDNW3 that'll give us a lasting, sustained game.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Awww...I was going to mod AoD for a SDNW3 :(

(Sänger was going to be a "Blustering Buffoon" :twisted: )
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:
Thanas wrote: So....what is going to happen if I have storylines that involve other countries, for example the soviet union or Egypt or Tuscany?
Then you ask the people who controlled them if they're up for doing so, and if they're NPCs, well... do what you want I suppose. I mean, if the game's over but you're still posting stuff because you've written it, might as well show the fruits of your labor?
So what do I do if I know first hand that players will not agree to stuff?

Steve wrote:Honestly, SDNW3 hasn't done that bad. SDNW1 lasted half the time SDNW3 did before it went BOOM with a major nuclear war. As games go SDNW3, while not successful, has shown us more on what'll work and what won't in trying to construct rulesets for games, and I think we could find a formula between the extremes of SDNW2 and SDNW3 that'll give us a lasting, sustained game.

The first thing to do would get the mods to actually agree on the rules beforehand and not making it up as they go along.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote:Awww...I was going to mod AoD for a SDNW3 :(

(Sänger was going to be a "Blustering Buffoon" :twisted: )
I'd prefer "Man of the people". :P
------------
------------
My LPs
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Yeah, seems pretty much dead on my end as well.

If we do another, I'm playing Kiribati! I'll have an excuse for not posting since nothing gets done on those shit-saturated islands.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote: I'd prefer "Man of the people". :P

Kaiser Bill was going to be a "Flamboyant Tough Guy".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote:
Thanas wrote: I'd prefer "Man of the people". :P

Kaiser Bill was going to be a "Flamboyant Tough Guy".
Oh, definitely.

His son should be "Generalissimo" or whatever that ex-military general trait was.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

'Course, for all of the non-historical countries it would have been a pain in the ass for creating new ministers. Even for "real" countries the point of divergence is such that it would be difficult to recognize more than a few of the historical ministers.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I also submit that for the purposes of the battlelines that have been created in SDNW3, the existing HoI naval tech tree is hilariously broken.

(not that is wasn't before. It's asinine that a French shitbox is exactly as powerful as a Queen Elizabeth by virtue of it having been commissioned in the same year)

Thanas, expect a visit from a Dominion delegation in regards to wife hunting. I would also like to have the commerce raider Commerce Defense Cruiser Enrico Dandalo visit Venice.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No objections to either.
Lonestar wrote:'Course, for all of the non-historical countries it would have been a pain in the ass for creating new ministers. Even for "real" countries the point of divergence is such that it would be difficult to recognize more than a few of the historical ministers.
Germany should be somewhat simpler, I kept most of the guys around.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote: So what do I do if I know first hand that players will not agree to stuff?
Well, approach them anyway. If they've decided to keep posting their own things and say no because they don't like it you could get someone to mediate, but if it's someone not playing anymore then I don't see why they'd say no (and if they do out of irritation or pride or what have you, quote relevant figures to me or whomever and we'll give you a nod). Frankly if you and maybe three others are the only ones posting in SDNW3 it shouldn't be hard to do some form of common storyline so long as you're all even-handed.

Though I'll be highly disappointed in you if your storyline plans involve "invade Poland/Scandinavia/the Balkans/whomever". :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Thanas, I forgot to mention this in the story post, but you can assume that aboard the Sayf ad-Din is a Sheik or two along to parley with the Germans about a possible royal marriage.

Also, I'm quite ridiculously busy these days so I frankly just don't have the time or energy to update my ORBAT and construction queues. It's either that or writing (brief) story posts, and given that choice I know which I'm going to take. Assume that starting about Q2 1927 the Sultanate will be continuing the expansion of its ludicrous airforce and the mechanization of the army, and will begin to field the first parachutist airships, with early cruiser tank prototypes coming off the production lines in about Q3 or so.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

What would be the Byzantine equivalent of a chief of Palace affairs?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Curopalates?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:What would be the Byzantine equivalent of a chief of Palace affairs?
Parakoimomenos (High Chamberlain)

or when it comes to foreign affairs:

logothetēs tou dromou (Sec.of foreign affairs)
------------
------------
My LPs
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Steve wrote: So, anyone else agree with Thanas?
I've got exactly one thought for making a potential game-changer but putting it together has been...difficult. In part because of the way the Panamanian War was resolved, in part because of how the game outside of the Western Hemisphere has proceeded, and in part because there are so many players to question who are largely inactive. Anyway I'm not even sure if at that point it would open things back up enough to get other interested in playing again.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Flameblade
Youngling

Post by Flameblade »

I've been occasionally interested in participating in an STGOD game at some point. Is this game totally dead? If not, are you guys accepting new players?
"Saying science is retarded on the internet is like dissing oxygen out loud." --- Rye
The plural of anecdote is not data and the plural of datum is not proof.
The act of burning up in the Earth's atmosphere is simply your body's effort to dispute the Earth's insistence that you travel at the same speed. The ground is the Earth's closing argument.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Steve wrote: So, anyone else agree with Thanas?
I've got exactly one thought for making a potential game-changer but putting it together has been...difficult. In part because of the way the Panamanian War was resolved, in part because of how the game outside of the Western Hemisphere has proceeded, and in part because there are so many players to question who are largely inactive. Anyway I'm not even sure if at that point it would open things back up enough to get other interested in playing again.
Well, you have my attention. What's on your mind?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Flameblade wrote:I've been occasionally interested in participating in an STGOD game at some point. Is this game totally dead? If not, are you guys accepting new players?
Well, I do not think it is dead, but I'd welcome any new players nevertheless. Contact Steve for more.
------------
------------
My LPs
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I'd be willing to play (I didn't do anything this last week due to vacation), but, unfortunately, I'm surrounded by what 1 de jure NPC and apparently 2 de facto NPCs, with two being more powerful than me and the remaining being allied to one of the ones more powerful to me.

Further, being landlocked limits my geopolitical options and I don't particularly want to play another person's nation, by virtue of the fact that I was having enough trouble dealing with my own build queue, much less messing with one from scratch.

I'd like to have done more with the Bloody Baron, but I didn't want to force other nations to publish his stuff and by later in the game, it seemed a bit more inappropriate for him to come about.

Though, after this assassination, he might make a reappearance this Friday, if anyone is still actually interested.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Akhlut wrote:I'd be willing to play (I didn't do anything this last week due to vacation), but, unfortunately, I'm surrounded by what 1 de jure NPC and apparently 2 de facto NPCs, with two being more powerful than me and the remaining being allied to one of the ones more powerful to me.

Further, being landlocked limits my geopolitical options and I don't particularly want to play another person's nation, by virtue of the fact that I was having enough trouble dealing with my own build queue, much less messing with one from scratch.

I'd like to have done more with the Bloody Baron, but I didn't want to force other nations to publish his stuff and by later in the game, it seemed a bit more inappropriate for him to come about.

Though, after this assassination, he might make a reappearance this Friday, if anyone is still actually interested.
I definitely am.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Lady Katherine and the Enrico Dandalo arrive in Venice. Thanas, if you're so inclined you can write the "German side" of the arrival. I think we would have to coordinate the actual meeting with the Crown Prince.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Goddamn it, I had to cut my storypost short due to time constraints. I'll try to get the second half of it (which I have not proofread yet) up tomorrow.

So everbody please do not panic if I have not replied to you or your PMs yet. I simply had to stop for now.
------------
------------
My LPs