Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: SDN World 3 Points Listings

Post by Siege »

I believe this works out.

Egyptian Sultanate
Protectorates: Nubia, Kuwait, Dubai, east-central Arabia

Population 2 +1 from COL
Although the Egyptian Sultanate covers much of Arabia, the vast majority of its territories are effectively useless for the purpose of housing its population. The citizenry of the Sultanate is mostly concentrated in the fertile regions: along the coasts of the Mediterranean and the Red Sea, on the banks of the Nile and Jordan or near the delta of the Tigris and Euphrates.

Home Territory 3
The home territories of the Sultanate are Egypt, the Sinai desert, southern Jordan and the Hejaz mountains near the Red Sea. These lands have been in possession of the Sultans of Cairo since times immemorial, and its population is fiercely loyal to the Sultans.

Colonial Territory 3
Although not colonies per se, the peoples of Nubia, of Riyadh, of Kuwait and Al-Jubayl have sworn fealty to the Sultan. They pay tribute in exchange for the protective umbrella offered by his massive armies.

Industry 4
As a long-time partner (though often unwilling and sometimes rival) of the Byzantine Empire, the Sultanate profited from the industrial revolution even though much of its populace was at the time unhappy with the sudden changes industrialization brought to their conservative society. Even today the great cities of the Sultanate - Cairo and Alexandria, Yerushalayim and Benghazi - continue to modernize themselves, although the rural areas frequently refuse to follow their lead.

Economy 3
Even though the Suez Canal and natural riches such as oil, copper, lead and iron generate vast amounts of revenue, the economy of the Sultanate is still somewhat archaic: banking is mostly in the hands of Jews and Christians, because Islamic law prohibits the payment or acceptance of interest fees for the lending and accepting of money respectively, and the various layers of government skim large amounts of money off profits that would otherwise have gone back into the economy.

Infrastructure 3
Despite recent efforts to modernize the infrastructure of the Sultanate the preferred method of getting about is still the horse, followed by the ship -- either across the Nile, the Red Sea or the Mediterranean. There are preciously few railways or modern roads in the Sultante, partly because no-one has cared to construct them, and partly because it is incredibly difficult and prohibitively costly to maintain roads and rails in the ever-shifting deserts. The major exception to the typically subpar infrastructure is, of course, the Suez Canal.

Standing Military Limit 3
The Sultanate maintains a respectable, but not overly large, military force at all times. Although its position is far from perilous, there are many forces at work in Africa and southern Arabia that could in time prove a threat to the reign of the Sultan, and to prevent these forces from getting any funny ideas a decent deterrent - in the form of a sizable military - is desirable.

Naval Focus 2
Egypt has no real naval tradition, and the navy is commonly seen as the least prestigious of the armed forces. The navy cannot hope to match many of the European powers ship for ship or gun for gun, and has no real oceangoing experience. What few warships the Sultan does possess are mostly monitors, with a few dreadnoughts and predreadnoughts used mostly to defend the Suez Canal and the Sultanate's assets in the Red Sea.

Army Focus 3 +2 from IND (14% reserves)
As befits a continental power the Sultanate maintains a huge army. Among the fearsome legions of the Sultan, rightly feared across Northern Africa and Arabia, are some of the best desert warriors in the world. The armies of the Sultanate consist to a very large degree of warriors on horseback, who can move swiftly even through the deserts where modern mechanical equipment tends to wear out and break down. A process of mechanization is ongoing however, especially of the forces in Libya and the Hejaz.

Air Focus 4
The Sultan and his advisors are fascinated by the possibilities of air power, and invest heavily in it. On the open ranges of the Arabian deserts aerial reconnaissance is an invaluable asset, and the generals of the Flying Corps are eager to experiment with new types of air power such as bombardment zeppelins, seaplanes or airborne carriers. The pilots of the Sultan's Flying Corps have a reputation for being near-suicidal maniacs who traditionally paint their favorite quranic verses on the sides of their craft. Many compare themselves to the knights of the ancient Islamic conquests, or view themselves as mujahideen who rain Allah's fury down from heaven upon the hapless heathens below.
Last edited by Siege on 2009-10-25 01:25pm, edited 2 times in total.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Points Distribution
Population: 2 (4 with boost from colonies)
-100 million citizens, unlike in reality Portugal grew her homelands rapidly during the rebuild and refocusing of her power after the earthquake the leveled Lisbon, though they have started to slow immigration in recent years to avoid over crowding of port cities in the mainland and have encouraged increased settlement in their African and South American holdings.
Territory: 1
-92,000 sq/km - Consisting of the mainland and outlaying islands.
Colonies: 4
-Approx. 1.05 million sq/km - French Guyana, Nigeria, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau, Port in Costa Rica
Industry: 5
-Again, unlike in reality Portugal rebuilt after Lisbon and focused heavily on shipyards which have now expanded into vehicle exports, and machinery as major export items. (180pts/3mo, size limit 60kt, +2 to focus of choice)
Economy: 4
-Once manufacturing took off in Portugal the small country ran a surplus and managed to build a cash reserve impressive for their population. (100% Deficit spending in war/emergency)
Infrastructure: 3
-The terrain means that it was easy to connect the nation with rail and highways and transport from port to port by ferry is easily found, however aside from a few spur lines and paved if unimpressive highways the interior is not as easy to move through. The colonies maintain good highways and a few main railways. (Moves soldiers and goods by train)
Standing Military Limit: 3
-Portugal has an average professional military to defend her shores
Naval Focus: 2 (5 from Industry)
-With everything at her coastline a strong navy is important to Portugal, they have one of the best navies in the world (Total capship tonnage: 1.5m. Shipyard Total: 290,000 tons. Combined Industry/Economy level of 9)
Army Focus: 3
-Portugal has a professional army with decent leadership, with her industry Portugal is attempting to be at the forefront of arm and artillery (600,000 soldiers, machine guns, early tanks and artillery. +14% of population as reserve soldiers)
Air Focus: 3
-Her air force is growing though at this time a it is seen as secondary to her navy and army, her planes are solidly built yet uninspired compared to a leading nation. (360 modern aircraft)
Last edited by Norade on 2009-10-31 05:43am, edited 1 time in total.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Third French Republic
Territory: France, Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Laos, Cambodia, and Tahiti.

Population: 3 + 2 Colonial Territory
The population of France proper is about 85% French, with 7% North African immigrants and the rest various other nationalities. The French colonial territories are, of course, dominated by whoever's territory it used to be.

Home Territory: 3; France

Colonial Territory: 4; Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Laos, Cambodia, and Tahiti.
French North Africa is the main colonial region for France, with Morocco being the home port for a large portion of the French Navy. Laos and Cambodia are decidedly lower on the totem pole, as it were, generally poorer and less well developed.

Learning the lessons of the Franco-Prussian War well, the Republic has poured tremendous sums into the development of as much industry as the country can sustain.

Economy: 3
French banking, while nothing to sneeze at, has taken some time to recover from drastic mismanagement at the end of tht 19th Century and has not risen above average as yet.

Infrastructure: 4
The French have adopted an almost Roman view towards knitting their territory together - Do it often, well, and, in this century, with the best railroads available.

Standing Military Limit: 2
With the lack of a war, declared or looming, the French government only keeps a few conscription classes under arms at a time.

Army Focus: 2 + 3 Industry
The Armée de Terre is the pride of the Republic, with some of the world's finest troops and the pride due the premier fighting force of a nation with France's past. Note: The French Foreign Legion is usually commanded by regular Army officers, the men who typically sign up not being considered "safe" for command.

Navy Focus: 3
The Marine Nationale's historically ambivalent performance has lead to it's position as the lesser of the two older services, but it still plays an important role in securing French interests across the globe.

Air Focus: 2
The Armée de l'Air is, of course, the newest and least prestigious service - at least in theory. In practice, the members, so-called "Knights of the Air", usually upper-class gentlemen, grant a sense of chivalry to the 240 aircraft of the Air Army.
Last edited by Master_Baerne on 2009-11-05 06:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

You can't split the industry bonus seige, i tried.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Zor wrote:You can't split the industry bonus seige, i tried.
That's interesting (and a little weird), but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things; it only means I take one point from 'army focus', stick that in 'air focus', and dump both industry bonus points in army focus instead of splitting them between army and air. Thanks for the tip though, and the error has been corrected.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Question time! Can you use your bonus focus points from industry to increase naval focus or the like past their normal limit for your industry, etc?

I ask because I really don't see more than 25 million people moving into Argentina/Chile as historical there were maybe 14 million people living in my area during this time (and that's with massive population growth and immigration during this time too) and a low population severely limits the size of my industry, economy and thus navy.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Alright, Point break down for Greater Argentina (or is it Greater Chile?).

Population: 1 20 million people. That is still millions more than historically.
Home Territory: 4 Argentina and Chile take up a lot of frikkin' room.
Colonial Territory: 2 Paraguay as a satellite state.
Industry: 3 As large as my puny population allows.
Economy: 3 Greater Argentina is on the rise but still shaking off its colonial roots.
Infrastructure: 4 Railroads go to every corner of the nation and our construction engineers are considered world class.
Standing Military: 3 While the citizens support the military, they like development more.
Naval Focus: 2 My nation simply doesn't have the population base for a big navy. There go my Naval Power of South America plans :cry: .
Army Focus: 4 My extra points had to go somewhere.
Air Focus: 5 Since I can't have a big navy, perhaps these flying contraptions will even the scales. Say hello to the Air Power of South America! :D

My only concern with being focused on air power is that I'm not really a military gear head. I'll probably just follow historical trends.

Edit:

Here is an alternate plan with a less historical population figure. I must say I like it better as it allows me to have the navy I want.

Population: 3 Total of 65 million. More immigration! Europe must be depopulated by now....
Home Territory: 4
Colonial Territory: 2
Industry: 4
Infrastructure: 4
Standing Military: 3
Naval Focus: 4 Biggest fleet in South America so far.....
Army Focus: 2 I'm more dependent on reserves now, but that's fine with me.
Air Focus: 2 My Air Force is still as big as France's which means I'm competitive.
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2009-10-26 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

The Balkan Confederacy

Population 3
Home Territory 2
Colonial Territory 1
Industry 4
Economy 4
Infrastructure 4
Naval Focus 2
Army Focus 5
Air Focus 2 + 2

Will elaborate more, when I have time...
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

China ruled by the house of Qing:

Home Territory: 5 (Almost the full extent of China from Taiwan to Tibet with only some southern provinces and Manchuria missing.)

Population: 5* (China has 480 million people in its massive borders and despite everything, it is still rising.)

Colonial Territory: 0 (China has no Colonial Territory to call its own)

Industry 3
(Due to a series of reforms China's industry is growing steadily and can churn out a fair amount of things already. However some areas still don't even know what a factory is.)

Economy: 3 (With new industry and trade the economy of China has gotten better and Chinese banks are a fair when it comes to investment.)

Infastructure: 3
(Efforts have been made to turn dirt tracks into paved roads, to help improve waterways and to pave the vast territories of China with steel. Still there is much work to be done.)

Starting Military Limit: 3 (China maintains an active army at all times which is supplied with the equipment it needs.)

Naval Focus: 2
(China is catching up with its naval power but still has a way to go. New investment and aid has improved China''s navy though.)

Army Focus: 3 +1 focus bonus (China has a massive cutting edge army which is the pride of the country. It represents a powerful bulwark of Chinese military might and is the will of the Qing Dynasty.)

Air Focus: 3
(The rise of air power has not being neglected by China and the country maintains a respectable air force.)

*480 population has been allowed by Steve
Minister of Pigeonry
Youngling

Post by Minister of Pigeonry »

EDIT: List is Obsolete.
Final Points list on next page.

Kingdom of Spain

Population - 1 (Roughly 22,200,700 in Spain, just slightly more than Historical pop.)

Home Territory - 2 (505,990 sq. km in all)

Colonial Territory - 2 (Uruguay, Costa Rica, Canary Islands, Spanish Morocco, Spanish Sahara, Spanish Guinea, roughly 500,000 sq. km in all)

Industry - 3 (An established European nation to begin with, industrialization has been a major goal since the Spanish Civil War ended in 1902)

Economy - 3 (Trade with neighbors is decent, despite long decline pre-Civil War things are improving with new wave of industrialization)

Infrastructure - 4 (Rail lines crisscross the Spanish homeland, roads and railways are under construction in colonial territories)

Starting Military Limit - 3 (Spain must maintain a strong force to defend and police its overseas possessions)

Naval Focus - 2 (+1) (The Armada Española is on its way back up in the world, thanks especially to German shipyards and shipbuilding expertise)

Army Focus - 4 (800,000 soldiers including the Tercio de Extranjeros (Spanish Legion)) (Note: I’d like to work the Royal Guard out of that number at some point)

Air Focus - 3 (The Ejército del Aire, youngest branch of the Fuerzas Armadas Españolas operates several hundred aircraft) (Note: I'd like to break the 360 up in some fashion to support a Naval Air Arm)
Last edited by Minister of Pigeonry on 2009-11-07 09:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

INVALID
Population: 2 aprox 29 million before colonies are assesed
Home Territory 4 ~3.5 million square kilometers
Colonial Territory 2 (portion of Queensland)
Industry 3
Economy 3
Infrastructure 4
Standing Military 3
Naval Focus 2
Army Focus 5 + 1 =6 ???
Air Focus 2

Very preliminary as of yet. It will be edited if needed.
edited to better reflect actual controlled areas of Queensland.
Last edited by Agent Sorchus on 2009-11-12 08:52pm, edited 3 times in total.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Commonwealth

Population: 3
Having retained its semi-independence in the 19th century, Poland has not suffered anywhere near the same degree of emigration and has maintained a high birth rate.

Home Territory: 3
Poland's territory is by no means the full extent of the Commonwealth at its height, but Warsaw still controls a respectable stretch of territory

Colonial Territory: 0
Poland controls no overseas territory at all.

Industry: 4
Poland has been at the forefront of the 20th century's industrialization and the development of new technologies. Dealing with the Soviet menace has encouraged Warsaw to improve their domestic economy as much as possible.

Poland was one of the first countries in Europe to develop a middle class, a combination of a stable and safe Jewish population providing liquid capital and the gradual incorporation of the vast majority of the aristocracy into the more productive classes of society. This has given Poland a diverse and stable economy.

Infrastructure: 5
The Commonwealth has helped pioneer the use of railways in order to reinforce their armies against the Soviet menace. Their infrastructure is well developed and, in times of peace, has helped support the development of the civilian economy.

Poland faces the Soviet juggernaut head on and has already fought one war with them. The army and air force remain the shield of Poland's liberty.

Navy: 1
Poland has only a small seacoast, and her navy primarily exists to defend Riga and engage Soviet warships in the Baltic. Possessing a handful of large cruisers and battlecruisers, the Polish Navy consists mostly of small warships such as destroyers and minesweepers, with a large force of fast torpedo boats, with the intent of engaging in asymmetrical warfare against an enemy.

Army Focus: 4
Poland's army is large and professional, indeed one of the first in Europe to be largely volunteer. Conscripts, such as they are, are given basic training and then moved to the reserves. The regular army is, as a result, almost entirely full equipped and trained at all times.

Air Focus: 3 (+2 'free' focus) (So, 5)
Poland's air force is large and designed to support and defend her army from the air.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

The Peruvian-Bolivian Confederation (working name)

Population - 2 (40 million)

Improved sanitation, rural development, free medicine, pension programs, health care, and other programs that began during reforms in the mid-nineteenth-century led to a higher birth rate and also a lower death-rate, as well as greater optimism, or at least pride in the Confederation (even if citizens interpreted the values of the Confederation differently.) In order to complete its infrastructure projects, and in search of industrial talent, the Confederation solicited immigrants from European countries such as Spain. Also, greater census coverage led to more citizens - or taxpayers - being counted.

Despite these conscious efforts to increase the population and the well-being (or industrial efficiency) of the population, the P-B C remains sparsely populated compared to European countries and even North America.

Home Territory - 4

Representing the holdings of modern-day Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador, the P-B C is approximately 2,639,590 km2 in area.

Colonial Territory - 0

The P-B C possesses no colonial territory and is ideologically opposed to colonialism.

Industry - 3

Great strides have been made in industry, from the radical liberal period of state-led protected industrialization in the mid-19th century, to the military-driven and later highly-collectivized industrialism that began in the 20th century.

While serious industrial efforts began in the mid-19th century with resource processing, light consumer industry, and some military and infrastructure projects, recent industrial development is characterized by heavy steel processing, several medium-sized shipyards, and growing aircraft and submarine engine projects.

While the P-B C has been industrializing at a slow but accelerating pace since the mid nineteenth-century, it still has not caught up to the more developed countries.

Economy - 3

Economic management has been somewhat tortuous in the P-B C, given the reorganization of industry, tax structures, and incentive programs after two revolutions, and the recent growth in nationalization and collectivization. The P-B C economic development program currently includes experimentation in worker-run collectives and the provision of certain government services through decentralized collectives, as well as government co-ordination of state industries and state farms,
agricultural co-operatives, peasant-run agricultural collectives, and limited support for industrial co-operatives. P-B C captains of industry chafe under restrictive legislation and an unruly, organized workforce that is backed by the government.

Infrastructure - 4

Part of the rationale for the existence of the P-B C government is the reversal of colonial industrial practices, one major feature of which are direct linkages from resource extraction to outside ports, without the corresponding interconnection of internal municipal and industrial sectors and their connection with neighbouring countries. One consistent project in the P-B C for at least eight decades has been the building of rail networks, telegraph cables, roads, and highways linking all areas of the confederacy, and promoting regional trade integration. Radio has recently become very popular as a means of integrating the country.

Exploitation of oil fields has been critical to fleet operations, as the fleet has been moving towards oil-based propulsion since the early twentieth-century.

Standing Military Limit - 3

Naval Focus - 2

The P-B C maintains a navy with a strong coastal defense orientation. It lacks a power projection capability, restricted mainly to operations off the coast of Peru.

The P-B C lacks the capability to produce large surface combatants and large naval guns and contracts capital ship production to other countries.

On the other hand, the P-B C has been involved in submarine research and production since the 1880s and maintains a thoroughly-modern submarine fleet and development apparatus.

Army Focus - 4

Bordered by several large land armies, the P-B C invests heavily in the army. It maintains 800,000 active soldiers and an extensive reserve program. All male citizens between the ages of 17-55 are members of the reserves, and every man, woman, and child in the country is legally obligated to engage in rifle target practice at least once per month. Financial incentives are given for those who practice 2-4 times per month.

The P-B C military industry focuses in armoured cars and recently, some tanks, and excels in small-arms and explosive production. Artillery is also produced in the P-B C.

Air Focus - 5

The P-B C has recognized air power as an ideal arm for a geographically-diverse, low-density country. In addition, having been able to join aircraft production at its outset, when even light industry could produce novel aircraft, the P-B C justifies heavy aircraft investment on the basis that it allows a newly-industrialized country to keep at the forefront of aircraft development.

The P-B C air force specializes in the development of land-based torpedo bombers.

The P-B C is an aircraft exporter.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Manchuria

Provisional pts:
Pop: 3
High emigration from China has significantly boosted population.
HT: 3 (~1,900,000 sq km)
CT: 1 (islands)
Ind: 5 (pop + inf + eco + HT = 3+4+5+3 = 15)
Trade with Europe and a good natural resource base allowed Manchuria to industrialize rapidly.
Eco: 4
Large amounts of natural resources combined with the ability to keep the Europeans from trying to go colonial has enabled Manchuria to gain a robust economy. One that allowed it to buy several islands from their previous owners.
Inf: 5
A rail network extends across Manchuria, reaching down both sides of the Korean peninsula, and through to China.
Standing Mil: 2
A smaller standing army is utilized to avoid antagonizing Imperial China. Much of the Army mans border forts on the North and West borders (with the Soviet Union and Mongolia). 10%*30%*18%*75 million = 405k men active, 2.8 million reservists
Navy: 1 (+3 bonus (industry))
The Navy is maintained at a rough parity with the Imperial Japanese Navy, considered by many to be the most likely naval opponent, followed by Cascadia and the Soviet Navy. The Navy has heavily invested in cruisers to protect it's extensive colonial possessions.
Army: 3
The Army is deliberately restricted in size, to avoid antagonizing Imperial China
Air: 3
The Fleet Air Arm and Army Air Force are small compared to their services main force, but to be respected nonetheless. Advanced technology leads the way, including airship carriers, and light bombers.
Mobilization Pool: 18% ((4+5)*2) for a total of 13.5 million

Thanks Stas.
Last edited by Beowulf on 2009-11-05 09:11pm, edited 3 times in total.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

BTW, Shroom kinda asked me to toss together his points considering what he wanted as a country, so here it is, he can explain.

Population 1 or 2

Home Territory 3

Colonial Territory 0

Industry 3

Economy 4 - 1 SML

Infrastructure 5

Standing Military Limit 4

Naval Focus 1

Army Focus 4 or 5

Air Focus 4 + 1 Ind
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I love you forever, Steve. :luv:

In a totally heterosexual non-gay way.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Mongolia (points redone again as of rule change) (last edit, I promise...well, probably)

Point Distribution:
Population 3
After European capitalists moved in and industrialized the country, Mongolia could afford to ship in grains from Russia and China while shipping out livestock, leading to an enormous uptick in population over the past century and a half, especially as marginal land's productivity has been increased with extensive use of fertilizers.

Home Territory 4
Mongolia’s big, slightly over 1.5 million km^2.

Colonial Territory 0
We’re landlocked! We can’t ship colonists anywhere!

Industry 5
European capitalists have invested heavily in Mongolia in order to extract the mineral wealth. However, due to Mongolian law, they can’t really extract it and sell it raw to other nations. However, they don’t mind, as they’re still getting ridiculously wealthy anyway and the government has become something of a manufacturing powerhouse.

Economy 4
Rich in resources, rich in industry!

Infrastructure 4
We’ve got ta highly advanced train network, as well as large wells, oil refineries, and all manner of similar structures.

Naval Focus 0
Our capital ship is a yacht in Lake Uvs. It has a shotgun for shooting waterfowl.

Army Focus 5
The Mongol Hordes are as active as ever, except they’ve replaced the composite bows with guns. Horses still haven’t been entirely replaced, as it’s a lot cheaper to ride horses for troops (much faster too in places where trains can’t reach).

Air Focus 5 (2+3)
The Mongolians have taken to airplanes for some reason.
Last edited by Akhlut on 2009-11-04 05:23pm, edited 3 times in total.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The United Kingdom

Population: 3 (75 million, Britain and Ireland = 45, + the rest in remaining colonies or in Britain due to high exodus from former colonies)

Home Territory: 2

Colonial Territory: 2
Territories claimed-New Zealand, Newfoundland, Ghana, Gambia, Saint Helena, Diego Garcia, Aruba, Fiji, Howland Island, Christmas_Island
Hong Kong Style Cities controlled by Britain
Shenzhen Sub-Provence (China), Pondicherry (India), Sydney (Australia), Gibraltar (City and Fort), Bahrain (Middle East)

Naval Bases on Foreign Soil
CapeTown (Naval Base)

Economy: 5

Infrastructure: 5

Naval Focus: 2 (+3 Bonus due to industry) = 5

Standing military: 3

Army Focus: 1

Air Focus: 2

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Republica Federal Cisplatina

Population: 2
Home territory: 2 (377095 square km consisting of Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina provinces)
Colonies: 0
Industry: 3
Economy: 3
Infranstracture: 4
Naval focus 3 (2 +1 from industry)
Army Focus: 5
Air Focus: 5
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I don't really understand how can exist Economy 2 - Industry 5 pairs and the like. That hardly makes much sense, industry is a part of the economy, and one of the main moving parts of it at that. Especially in the 192X-194X.

I also see a tendency towards "extreming" industry and economy, and playing out with a large gap between them and infrastructure as well.

In my view, there cannot be a gap of more than 1 point between Industry, Economy and Infrastructure (each of them should have no more than 1 point of gap). And the lower the score, the lower is the tolerance for gaps between these three.

And frankly, natural conditions should force tolls on infrastructure. Manchuria with 4 infrastructure due to railroads? Railroads are cool, but they are not the end of all. In my view having a good railroad network but nothing else qualifies as 2-3 infrastructure, but apparently people have other opinion on that.

Actually Economy and Industry as separate indicators makes all too little sense and disallow for a realistic economic system forming.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

No comments on anything else but one slight note Stas Bush
Stas Bush wrote: Actually Economy and Industry as separate indicators makes all too little sense and disallow for a realistic economic system forming.
"Tulips"
Trade economy's and finanical economy's can exists and have existed throughout our history. Typically right before an Empire slides into ruin is when it's industry and infastuctor become lacking but it's economy continues to chug along due to false worth or bubble and bust practices. Such countries can exist with shit infrastructure but an excellent economy due to mineral wealth. And diamond and gold mining say don't need much in the way of support except to get it to the nearest port.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, Industry is supposed to be determined by Pop, Econ, Infrastructure, and Colonial/Home Territory (yes, I'm going to make that official in a moment), with infrastructure and Population being mandated minimum scores for Industry (Industry 5 requires a 15 overall with 4 Infrastructure and 3 Population minimum).

I'll look over the rules and tweak them a bit, stop such things.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Wait, where does someone have 2 in Economy and 5 in Industry? That's impossible.

A 5 in Industry requires a 4 in Infrastructure, which requires a 3 in Economy.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

(5) population
3 Home
4 Colonies
4 Industry
3 economy
4 Infrastructure
5 Standing military
3 Naval focus
3 +2 Army Focus
2 Air focus
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Okay everyone. I'm closing points on Friday. Once Friday hits all points as posted will be final and you'll be stuck with what you have. Looking to start the game come Saturday.