SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Fourth

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Fourth

Post by Mr Bean »

We now return you to your reality... already in progress.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Fourth

Post by Raj Ahten »

Indhopal and San Dorado: At the Conference

Chistophe had been given very specific instructions on the Occidental Zone. He had a feeling that SanDorado, or more specifically their new CATO friends, wouldn't like his proposal.

Christophe began,
"It's good to see you again Commissioner Duquesne. Reminds me of the old days in the FTO. However with the FTO now a corpse, Indhopal is, as you know, reviewing our national security priorities. Border security is now considered to be of utmost importance. The Eastern Occidental may be queit now, but we are both aware of its troubled past and the possibility of future problems. In order to safeguard its borders Indhoopal would like to take control of security arrangements in the Southeast portion of the zone, in the area roughly corresponding to the holdings of the O'Connor clan. We are willing to shoulder all the costs associated with the transition."

"Border Security" was a weak case for Indhopali control of the O'Conner lands and Chistophe knew it. The ugly truth was that despite having bled in the same mud for years, Indhopal could no longer fully trust San Dorado anymore now that they were part of CATO. Even the notoriously blunt Christophe wasn't willing to say that directly though. That was because he felt Indhopal was partly responsible for that having left San Dorado to be buffeted by the great powers while Indhopal retreated into its own cocoon.

Despite his personal misgivings Christophe had been authorized to negotiate harshly, even threatening the latest arms agreements if necessary, to get the part of the Occidental Indhopal wanted. Chistophe hoped he wouldn't have to resort to such brutish methods with an old friend.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

RogueIce wrote:"Observer status means almost the same thing as regular membership, just without the mutual defense thing. Which, considering what I've heard of your recent equipment purchases, makes sense as you're apparently aligning more with CATO technology in that regard. Essentially, it's a cosmetic change as, practically speaking, your nation tends to act more as an Observer anyway when it comes to the MESS. Of course, saying you're an Observer makes people think you're less of a MESS state, when in practice little will change from the current state of affairs."

Rufus shrugged. He had been considering how to say this next part, but then decided he might as well just say it straight. "It helps if we don't appear too closely aligned, MESS and CATO. I understand the point of the conference and while I'd like good cooperation, publically at least it might be bad if we appeared as too close of friends. If MESS and CATO look too close, fears arise over a 'one world government' and such nonsense. And then there's Japanistan. I know what you'll say, they can be crushed and so on and so forth. But they'd do a lot of damage first. And right now they're relatively quiet. I'd rather not get them even more paranoid than normal, and have repeats of that whole Velarian mess. Or whatever else they might try to do. Do you see my point? It's well and good for MESS and CATO to not distrust each other and even work together. But I feel we should avoid appearing to be too close, if you get my meaning."
"One could look at this with many conotations but I will accept this at face value. In any case, yes, I would accept in part of the inevitability of this. However, I would imagine that there would be issues with the MESS equipment I am using to some extent. Do I.. return them?"
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

LIVE on ShroomSat/StratTV
The Sovereign Shroomanian Sentinel
STUNNING SHINRA SHINDIG

In Super Extra Unreal Time

Midgar, Shinra Republic

The band leader gave a salute with a ridiculously huge sword, and they began playing the Shroomanian anthem. An awful lot of the musicians were suspiciously pale-skinned. And suspiciously girlish-looking, though as a Shroomanian the Prime Minister understood why President Rufus would like those traits.

And there, at long last in all his ravishing regalia, was president Rufus Shinra himself.

“You look a bit like Langley, mang” Shroom said.

"At long last, welcome to the Shinra Republic!" President Rufus welcomed the Prime Minister of Shroomania as warmly as he possibly could. "I'm glad you could finally make it."

"Me too, I'm glad to be finally here also," Shroom replied. "Things have been really hectic lately. I hope there's still enough time for us to catch the Cascadian Conference and... uhh... are Emperor Heraclius and Premier Shady coming here too, or did I just miss them?"

"I'm not entirely sure myself," President Rufus scratched his head at that. "But enough about that. Come, Prime Minister, let me show you the rest of Midgar."

With that, they departed in President Rufus' fancy limousine and the Shinran Turks shouldered their oversized swords and hopped aboard oversized motorbikes to form a motorcade.

"Well, Prime Minister, what do you think?"

"You Shinra guys sure build big bikes. Look at the size of those things, and you can hear their V8 engines from inside the car! Mang!" Shroom proclaimed as he ogled the mean Midgar-made motorcycle machines flanking their Presidential ride.

"That's quite true," President Rufus chuckled - realizing the stark contrast between the visitation of this CATO leader and the last pair who came over, namely Emperor Heraclius and Premier Shady who were all too keen on getting into serious business immediately. "So, Prime Minister, aside from our choppers what brings you over to my little corner of Messica?"

"The need to talk, to open up a loose dialogue between the MESS and the CATO and prevent things from going out of control. A Détente, if you will." Prime Minister Shroom replied coolly. "There have been some misunderstandings lately, like the whole affair in Frequesue, and really we can do a whole of good by defusing the situation.

"Both CATO and the MESS are not ideologically opposed to each other, both groups' nations have fairly amicable relations with one another, and really there's no good reason why today's state of affairs are so tense - with everyone in the public forum, mass media, in private and the OOB Thread flinging mud at each other. There really isn't.

"I guess if both sides relaxed, eased up on some issues, and opened up a dialogue, a Détente, as we're gonna try and do over at Cascadia soon, we can probably normalize the world's state of affairs and everything will be good again. There's no reason for any animosity between the MESS and CATO. If anything, we should be working together. I talked with President Stephen and we both came up with an idea for a Global Organization of Peace, Health and Equal Restitution. GOPHER -"

The corner of President Rufus' eye twitched.

" - which we agreed to rename into the World Health Organization, WHO. Maybe it can be one of the avenues through which we can turn over a new leaf, or however that idiom went," Shroom smiled.

President Rufus was about to reply -

"But there's one more thing," Shroom said, pre-empting the President.

"Yes?" Rufus raised an eyebrow.

"I would like to, uh, apologize. For my rudeness in delaying and detouring my visit to Messica and Shinra twice. It was incredibly short-sighted of me, not to mention rather inconsiderate. With how things between CATO and the MESS have ended up, I guess my callousness in leaving you guys high and dry might not have been the wisest course of action and might've not really helped things out. Not to mention, it probably inconvenienced your staff people a lot."
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Indhopal and San Dorado: At the Conference
Raj Ahten wrote: Christophe began,
"It's good to see you again Commissioner Duquesne. Reminds me of the old days in the FTO. However with the FTO now a corpse, Indhopal is, as you know, reviewing our national security priorities. Border security is now considered to be of utmost importance. The Eastern Occidental may be queit now, but we are both aware of its troubled past and the possibility of future problems. In order to safeguard its borders Indhoopal would like to take control of security arrangements in the Southeast portion of the zone, in the area roughly corresponding to the holdings of the O'Connor clan. We are willing to shoulder all the costs associated with the transition."
Duquesne sighed softly. The secretary's words didn't come as a surprise, after the recent ruckus in Klavostan it was patently obvious that Indhopal was trying to expand its sphere of influence - or 'secure its borders', but whichever way you wanted to put it the result was the same. Still, at least Christophe's opening move had been somewhat considerate. Charlie Duquesne, who'd spent years as San Dorado's first-ever ambassador to the CSR, knew all too well that meant there was room for negotiations. Valery Zorin would have been far more blunt she thought and suppressed a smile. Despite herself she kind of missed the sly old wolf, deliberately infuriating as though he could be.

“First of all Mr. Christophe let me begin by saying that I have no definite authority over Eastern Occidental. The ultimate say about matters involving that area lies squarely with the local government in Kirkcaldy. And although I admit we may have some influence there I find it highly doubtful that they would just hand you control over their land. They have bled for that ground, Mr. Secretary, far more than any of our nations can claim to have done, so I have a feeling they will be most reluctant to relinquish control.

Secondly, as you well know the NFT is gradually reducing its military presence now that local forces are capable of handling most matters themselves. We have scaled back our troop levels from a full mechanized brigade to a mere five hundred or so liaisons and advisors, with plans to half that presence again by the middle of 2018. So I have to wonder about the timing of your inquiry.”

She paused briefly to nip of her wine, an excellent Don Gregorio rosé from the south of Cascadia, then looked Christophe squarely in the eye. “Mr. Secretary, I believe our nations go back far enough that we owe it to ourselves not to speak falsely to one another. We have made a move that went against your interests, and as a result your nation feels it cannot fully trust the NFT any longer. This is unfortunate but understandable, but I think we both know that diplomacy does not have to be a zero-sum game.

Eastern Occidental is currently a part of our ‘sphere of influence’ as I think you can put it. And we are not going to give it up- I won’t bore you with platitudes about ‘owing it to the people’; there are valuable resources there that are worth a great deal of money. Platinum, diamonds, titanium ore, bauxite, iron ore, gold, you name it. Extraction of these resources will be a highly profitable venture and a boon to the reconstruction of Coilerburg. You know this, I know this, the Kirkcaldy government knows this.

However, none of this means it cannot also be in your sphere of influence. I think after Klavostan’s recent... deal with the IRT I think you Indhopalis know there is more types of influence than the military kind, yes?”

Duquesne leaned back, considered the situation briefly, and steepled her fingers. “I’ll let you in on a secret, Mr. Christophe. My people have for some time now been negotiating an agreement with the Eastern Occidental government, to associate the region as an overseas department. What that means is that the locals maintain most of their autonomy while the NFT would protect the region in terms of international and intercorporate relations, international trade and such.

Now I could see how that would unsettle Indhopal. And let’s face it- the region will need Indhopal’s goodwill if it wants to truly prosper. So… Let’s see. In exchange for Indhopal not making a fuss, we could agree to take you into the loop vis-à-vis military matters in the region. We’ll increase the tempo of our withdrawal, and you could take over some of the liaison positions that’ll be left vacant. Indhopal is better suited for it anyway. Soon enough we won’t have any troops left there, which’ll save us money and you’ll be able to rest knowing the NFT won’t be launching an invasion of the Western Frontier”, she smiled fleetingly, taking the sting out of the remark.

“And as a final component of the deal… We’re currently building a railroad linking western Coilerburg to Sabika. If we can get Sabika and Omago aboard we can link Coilerburg, Eastern Occidental, Indhopal and possibly Minoy to those two nations. A Trans-Frequesuan Railroad if you like”, she said, referring to the massive Trans-Siberian Express that linked remote areas of the UCSR outback. “A rail link like that would greatly ease the movement of goods, and would thus be good for business. And it would be a profitable venture in its own right, as well as an opportunity for companies from all nations involved to work together. Now wouldn’t that be a nice show of Frequesuan solidarity?”
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Dominion Defense

Coalition deploys Combat Optics LADS to Baden

With the arrival of 2 Dominion Electric "mini-reactors", the kind used on military bases throughout the Shepistani Quarantine Zone and in large shelters in the Old Dominion, Coalition forces have been able to ramp up security with the deployment of the solid-state Laser Area Defense System of Combat Optics, which has seen relatively little use in the Shepistani Security Zones.

The CO LADS is a solid laser, as opposed to some chemical ones on the market. It is similiar in design to Tian Xia Laser CIWS, which has led to some speculation that Combat Optics is licensing part of the design...[More]
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

ROYAL DEFENSE QUARTERLY
New "Artillery Rifle" in the Works for the Army

FT. GAROU Joint Services Base, Canissia: Dr. Lee Wang, a researcher in the Army Research Command, is ready to begin testing prototypes of a new Infantry rifle this spring.

The infantry rifle, tentatively dubbed the XCR-20, for Experimental Combat Rifle-20mm, would be the first of its kind for the Canissian Army.

The XCR-20 would be a binary weapon system, with a standard 6.8 USC infantry rifle mated to a 20mm air-burst weapon somewhat akin to the way current grenade launchers are affixed under the barrels of existing rifles.

"The XCR-20 would do away with the concept of putting an individual grenade launcher under an existing individual weapon," Dr. Wang explained, "This gives the soldier a six-shot magazine of 20mm air-bursting light cannon shells that are far more useful than a single-shot grenade tube."

Critics of the weapon point out that current grenade tubes, while single-shot, can be reloaded rapidly and carry a far larger charge in their typically 40mm shells. The 40mm grenade shells are also adaptable to such things as flares, star clusters, and smoke, which can be used for marking targets of obscuring movement. Dr. Wang admits that the 40mm grenades offer a great deal of versatility, but the 20mm cannon rounds offer more lethality.

"And that's what it's all about," Wang said, "Taking out your enemy. With the XCR-20, the 20mm shells can bust right through a wall before exploding."

Still, critics are unconvinced.

"The 20mm shells are high-velocity, flat-trajectory munitions," says Dr. Warren Grindaxe, who develops grenade launchers for the Army. "You can't arc fire over a obstacle-- it's just another bullet. A bigger bullet, to be sure, but sometimes there are advantages to a slow-moving grenade with a lot of explosive that cen be easily lobbed over a near obstacle."

Dr. Wang admits that there will always be a place for grenades and grenade launchers in the Army.
"I am not claiming to make grenades or their launchers obsolete," he said, "Just enhance the firepower of the average infantry rifle squad. There would be a place for a dedicated grenadier in the ranks, of course. Perhaps with a dedicated MGL-140 and a sidearm."

Dr. Wang refers to the MGL-140, a prototype dedicated grenade launcher system that was proposed to the Canissian Army but never adopted due to the use of under-slung 40mm grenades on the current FN-SCAR.
An MGL-40 Grenade Launcher: a new lease on life?

"I think a dedicated grenadier position is an excellent idea, and one I have been advocating for a long time," said Dr. Grindaxe, "A dedicated grenadier would retain needed flexibility in squad-level munitions. In fact, a dedicated grenadier that specialized in grenade munitions and their employment would be a great boon to tactical flexibility."

The XCR-20, Dr. Wang notes, was originally intended for universal issue, but he notes that discussions with the Defense Ministry have already nixed the idea based on the expense of equipping millions of personnel with a weapon that many don't actually need.

"Desk clerks, mechanics, other rear-area types are issued either pistols or submachineguns," Dr. Wang noted, "Because they are not expected to get into sustained combat and they need a weapon that allows them to work freely. Likewise, tank crews wouldn't get XCR-20's because they would be incredibly difficult to maneuver into and out of vehicle hatches-- a hazard if the vehicle has to be evacuated under fire."

Infantry squads and Combat Engineers would get the XCR-20 primarily, Dr. Wang noted, and even then it would most likely be two or three weapons per squad rather than every soldier.

"Many soldiers are not dedicated riflemen, even in the Infantry," Dr. Wang noted, "It would be just addition weight for a dedicated RPG-gunner to carry a full XCR-20 system with himself, for example. However, I am also looking into the idea of making a version of the XCR-20 which replaces the 20mm cannon with a 12-gauge shotgun mechanism for firing explosive shotgun rounds."

The proposed system, dubbed the XCR-12, would ideally become the standard-issue rifle for everyone not carrying an XCR-20 or other, specialized weapon system such as an RPG or Grenade Launcher.

XCR-20 rifle with 20mm shells beside it.

The XCR-12 could carry a magazine of 20 or more explosive shotgun rounds, while the XCR-20 would carry about six 20mm shells in it's magazine. The size of the magazine for the rifle portion of the weapon, the 6.8mm USC magazines, would remain the same at 30 rounds.

Other critics point to the weight of the combined weapons and their ammo load. Some Infantry officers wonder about the ability of troops to remain fresh and combat-ready after carrying such a heavy weapon over long distances and rough terrain. The weapon weighs in at 6.1 kilograms unloaded, and after loading the rifle itself, plus additional ammunition, the weight just for the full weapon system alone can top close to 10 kilograms without including body armor, helmet, and packs.

While most Canissian infantry is either mechanized or motorized, some travel by foot march is always likely. One of the units that ends up on foot the most is the Airborne forces, which typically parachute in with light vehicles support. Ironically, it is also one of the branches most eager to give the XCR-20 and the XCR-12 an opportunity to prove itself.

"Sure, it'll be heavier," said Colonel Joseph Brannigan of the 5th Airborne Division, "But the Airborne doesn't land with heavy tanks and armored personnel carriers. We rely more on what we carry with us than what we drive, and these promise to expand destructive capability of the average infantry squad threefold."

Trials for the new weapons systems begin in a month.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:"One could look at this with many conotations but I will accept this at face value. In any case, yes, I would accept in part of the inevitability of this. However, I would imagine that there would be issues with the MESS equipment I am using to some extent. Do I.. return them?"
Rufus shrugged. "As I said, there was definately some politics involved in this as well. Your bowing out of the One Week War, as I'm sure you're aware, almost certainly played a part.

"As to equipment issues, that's up to our military officers, isn't it? Though if the reports I've seen are true, you're mostly transitioning to CATO equipment anyway."

((OOC: Basically, I'll leave that question up to Wilkens, Beo, et al. The military equipment of the MESS is not my area of expertise. :wink: ))
Meanwhile, in other time and place...
Shroom-vision wrote:LIVE on ShroomSat/StratTV
The Sovereign Shroomanian Sentinel
STUNNING SHINRA SHINDIG

*snip image*
Midgar, Shinra Republic

The band leader gave a salute with a ridiculously huge sword, and they began playing the Shroomanian anthem. An awful lot of the musicians were suspiciously pale-skinned. And suspiciously girlish-looking, though as a Shroomanian the Prime Minister understood why President Rufus would like those traits.

And there, at long last in all his ravishing regalia, was president Rufus Shinra himself.

*snip image*

“You look a bit like Langley, mang” Shroom said.
Rufus wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean. He really didn't look like the Duke of Langley. But he pushed that aside and went on.
Shroom-vision wrote:"At long last, welcome to the Shinra Republic!" President Rufus welcomed the Prime Minister of Shroomania as warmly as he possibly could. "I'm glad you could finally make it."

"Me too, I'm glad to be finally here also," Shroom replied. "Things have been really hectic lately. I hope there's still enough time for us to catch the Cascadian Conference and... uhh... are Emperor Heraclius and Premier Shady coming here too, or did I just miss them?"

"I'm not entirely sure myself," President Rufus scratched his head at that. "But enough about that. Come, Prime Minister, let me show you the rest of Midgar."

With that, they departed in President Rufus' fancy limousine and the Shinran Turks shouldered their oversized swords and hopped aboard oversized motorbikes to form a motorcade.

*snip image*

"Well, Prime Minister, what do you think?"

"You Shinra guys sure build big bikes. Look at the size of those things, and you can hear their V8 engines from inside the car! Mang!" Shroom proclaimed as he ogled the mean Midgar-made motorcycle machines flanking their Presidential ride.

"That's quite true," President Rufus chuckled - realizing the stark contrast between the visitation of this CATO leader and the last pair who came over, namely Emperor Heraclius and Premier Shady who were all too keen on getting into serious business immediately.
Although to Rufus, they weren't big bikes. Pretty standard police motorcycles, of the top one would have expected to see on Old Earth. But then, he came from the Phillipines, didn't he? Did they have large motorcycles like that? He couldn't remember, aside from some vague images of some movie he might've seen. It had been about fifty years since he'd last seen Old Earth, after all. Well, let's just get on with it. I knew he was a little weird, anyway.
Shroom-vision wrote:"So, Prime Minister, aside from our choppers what brings you over to my little corner of Messica?"

"The need to talk, to open up a loose dialogue between the MESS and the CATO and prevent things from going out of control. A Détente, if you will." Prime Minister Shroom replied coolly. "There have been some misunderstandings lately, like the whole affair in Frequesue, and really we can do a whole of good by defusing the situation.

"Both CATO and the MESS are not ideologically opposed to each other, both groups' nations have fairly amicable relations with one another, and really there's no good reason why today's state of affairs are so tense - with everyone in the public forum, mass media, in private and the OOB Thread flinging mud at each other. There really isn't.

"I guess if both sides relaxed, eased up on some issues, and opened up a dialogue, a Détente, as we're gonna try and do over at Cascadia soon, we can probably normalize the world's state of affairs and everything will be good again. There's no reason for any animosity between the MESS and CATO. If anything, we should be working together. I talked with President Stephen and we both came up with an idea for a Global Organization of Peace, Health and Equal Restitution. GOPHER -"

The corner of President Rufus' eye twitched.

" - which we agreed to rename into the World Health Organization, WHO. Maybe it can be one of the avenues through which we can turn over a new leaf, or however that idiom went," Shroom smiled.
I knew Stephen wouldn't let him get away with one of his goofy acronyms. Relieved, President Shinra was about to reply...
Shroom-vision wrote:President Rufus was about to reply -

"But there's one more thing," Shroom said, pre-empting the President.

"Yes?" Rufus raised an eyebrow.

"I would like to, uh, apologize. For my rudeness in delaying and detouring my visit to Messica and Shinra twice. It was incredibly short-sighted of me, not to mention rather inconsiderate. With how things between CATO and the MESS have ended up, I guess my callousness in leaving you guys high and dry might not have been the wisest course of action and might've not really helped things out. Not to mention, it probably inconvenienced your staff people a lot."
"It did indeed. And it certainly didn't help the PR problem of both sides. After all, you were supposed to visit here to calm relations, but canceled twice when CATO was inducting new members. In the middle of all the expansionist accusations flying on both sides. But what's done is done. All we can do now is try to make things better."

The motorcade pulled up to the Shinra Building, the 70-story tower that was at the heart of the federal government. Both leaders went inside, to continue their talks.

((OOC: No, my nation doesn't look anything like FF7: Advent Children. Neither do I look like the Japanese version of Rufus Shinra, and I definately don't have bandages all over my face. All that can be chalked up to Shroom's odd way of seeing the world sometimes.

PS: The "Turks" aren't my security detail. They're something else entirely, a very much classified intelligence agency known as the Special Intelligence Service. It's black, so the name isn't even publically known. Though if Shroom thinks of my security detail as "the Turks" I certainly can't stop him.))
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

SPECTACULAR SHINRA SHINDIG

Midgar, Shinra Republic

The motorcade pulled up to the Shinra Building, the 70-story tower that was at the heart of the federal government. Both leaders went inside, to continue their talks.

"It did indeed. And it certainly didn't help the PR problem of both sides. After all, you were supposed to visit here to calm relations, but canceled twice when CATO was inducting new members. In the middle of all the expansionist accusations flying on both sides. But what's done is done. All we can do now is try to make things better." Rufus replied.

"Yes. Though technically the expansionist accusations really started flying after the whole Costa escapade, which happened after CATO inducted its new members... but yeah, you're right," Shroom conceded. He hoped, at least, that President Rufus would see his concession as a sign that he, and by extension CATO, was more willing and more open to things like dialogue than what others in the MESS might think. "Accusations flew on both sides, accusations that had some basis for both CATO and MESS, and really it's all in the past - spilt milk and all that. That's why I'm here, I want to show you - and by extension the rest of the MESS - that we're willing to work together with you to make things better.

"When I helped form the CATO, what I wanted to do was to work together with my Old Continental neighbors, friends and allies to make Shroomania and the rest of the O.C. safer, against threats like Japanistan. I wanted to make an alliance where we could cooperate to make the Continent, and the rest of the world, a better place for all of us. We had a lot of optimisms back then, and I guess we weren't expecting things to turn out like this.

"I never really considered that the relations between CATO and the MESS would be antagonized to this degree. Back in the day, Shroomania, PeZookia, Byzantium and the Crimsons and the Shadows never had any deal with the MESS states and quite a few of us were very tight with our neighborly Canissians, and still are. CATO was never meant to run into any problems with the MESS, but I guess it was inevitable since the MESS was the only major power bloc and now CATO is, in itself, becoming a major power bloc as well. There are bound to be frictions, especially with CATO's surprising growth spurt.

"But Mr. President, I just want to say that it doesn't have to be this way. That with time and understanding, both CATO and MESS can not just co-exist but also cooperate and work together. Both our alliances are not inherently antagonistic towards each other, because our constituent nations aren't inherently antagonistic towards each other. Well... most of them aren't. Shroomania certainly has no beef against Shinra. In fact, we both share common values and common goals. We both don't want war or any conflict for that matter, we both want global stability and peace, prosperity and freedom. I'm sure if both sides open up, if we can get our more... rigid and stubborn allies to come into mutual agreements, then we can all have our moist and delicious cakes and eat 'em too.

"I'm totally committed to this and I really wish we could work together on this. King Paul agrees with me, I think, and I was hoping that you and King Arik would be receptive as well. This is what we'll be trying to do soon, over at Cascadia with Stephen, anyway."
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Klavostan

With Colonel Ali leading the contracting authority, it fell to another notorious merc to run the security apparatus in Klavostan. His name was Kumal and he had a history going way back with Indhopal's ISIA. He was the man they had used for several decades for totally deniable operations, mainly in the CFR. He was utterly ruthless, but also extremely loyal to the contract and Indhopal had written him a good one. Not only was he being well paid, the security of Kumal's family was also guaranteed in case of difficulties. He was even given a villa inside Indhopal. Many others in the security services had been given similar deals of sanctuary.

Such measures were considered necessary given Tonkin's control over most of Klavostan's civil government. Kumal and his security forces were something of an insurance policy. If Tonkin ever went too far or got too much control over the mercenaries, Kumal would be able to sweep in and "deal with" the situation as he had the shooters. Control of the mining boards and economic policy certainly gave Tonkin the ability to rape Klavostan for its natural resources though. Frankly Indhopal didn't care if Tonkin wanted to make a profit at the expense of the local populace. In fact they were banking on it.

With Indhopoli control of the security forces hopefully Tonkin would see any move to gain full control over Klavostan as too expensive. A civil war or other conflict would simply cut into their profits while they basically had a license to print money as it was.

For now the Security Forces were assisting with Tonkin's agenda. Any members of the Jannisary Corps who hadn't gotten with the new program were quietly being rounded up and disappeared by Kumal's men. It was something they were good at.

One of Kumal's Troopers.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:"One could look at this with many conotations but I will accept this at face value. In any case, yes, I would accept in part of the inevitability of this. However, I would imagine that there would be issues with the MESS equipment I am using to some extent. Do I.. return them?"
Rufus shrugged. "As I said, there was definately some politics involved in this as well. Your bowing out of the One Week War, as I'm sure you're aware, almost certainly played a part.

"As to equipment issues, that's up to our military officers, isn't it? Though if the reports I've seen are true, you're mostly transitioning to CATO equipment anyway."

((OOC: Basically, I'll leave that question up to Wilkens, Beo, et al. The military equipment of the MESS is not my area of expertise. :wink: ))
"It's quite likely that when this announcement is made, they will a good deal of furore within the military ranks, and most of them will likely advocate doing lobotomies of a lot of equipment.

Tell me Rufus, when was this 'consensus' achieved? Why must I come all the way here to learn of this 'consensus'? What is the point of Ambassadors and diplomats, if I have to come all the way here and why were there no prior consultations with me on this matter? Is it just me, or was I cut out of the loop some months ago? And Why?" If the Emperor had ever showed any irritation before, he was showing it, and restraining a good part of his anger.
Last edited by Fingolfin_Noldor on 2009-04-23 10:06am, edited 2 times in total.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Jerusalem Space Center

The massive, reinforced door to the VAB slowly rose, letting in the punishing desert sun. As the lights shut down inside, the gigantic Saturn III rocket inside was revealed to thousands of reporters and bystanders gathered around the building.

"Vehicle clear for rollout!", came an announcement, broadcast all around by the PA system, "All personnel clear the roadway!"

With a roar, the huge Crawler Transporter started its engine and began slowly inching its way forward. Upon its back, it carried a 2000 tonne rocket which would carry human beings beyond Earth orbit for the first time in history.

"Selene 5 has cleared the VAB!"

JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

World Summit, Cascadia

When the first two days passed, and representatives of all gathered nations finished their private prescheduled meetings, the time has come for the first general assembly to come to pass. King Paul requested to be the first to speak, and he was granted this right.

"Ladies and gentlemen, honorable representatives of all nations. It is with great pleasure that I take the floor before this most auspicious body, assembled in a nation as hospitable as Cascadia. The very place of our meeting today is representative of the goals of this Summit: Cascadia has always been recognized by the world community as a fair and neutral partner in solving all world disputes. Hosting this conference is yet another honorable mark in the record of this Republic.

In my opening speech I would like to first and foremost express PeZookia's concern over the last year's misunderstandings and bad blood which we've allowed to accumulate between CATO and MESS alliances. We humbly acknowledge that part of the blame lies on CATO, and would like to propose a discussion on the chief catalyst for it: the Costa crisis. I have been informed, by various channels, that MESS leadership was alarmed and concerned over the sudden and rapid inclusion of several new CATO members. I would very much like to hear the proposal of MESS - and of course unaligned - representatives on how to avoid such unfortunate circumstances in the future: what actions do they deem necessary to feel at ease and reasurred with the entire process?

It is my belief that working out this issue is one of the first and foremost matters that need to be tackled on this conference."

With this, Paul left the floor, and the assembled began to eagerly await response from the MESS.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

CATO Military Journal

CATO Naval Exercises off Frequesue a success

The first CATO Naval Exercises off Frequesue were widely regarded as a success. Among the new systems tested, included the S-500F system, as well as the MiG SKAT and new aircraft such as the CFN-01. The exercises have been regarded as a learning experience in coordination and cooperation and serves to boost the ties between the various CATO Navies.

New Rotary UAVs demonstrated

BAM lifted off the curtains off their newest UAVs, the Rotarion series. The Rotarion series consist of rotary UAVs which will be flown off various hanger decks and used on the field. It is likely the UAVs will be purchased by the Byzantine and Shroomanian militaries.

Rotarion I, for infantry use

Rotarion II, for ship bourne and army use

Rotarion III, for high altitude reconnaissance.

Zenit-2S lifts off

The Zenit-2S is a new solid fueled rocket based on the Zenit-S. Capable of lifting up to 30 tonnes into LEO in a 2 stage configuration. The rocket is intended to lift up two MiG-105 Uragans into space. The rocket is a more refined version of the Zenit-2S utilizing a single wide diameter rocket engine.
Last edited by Fingolfin_Noldor on 2009-04-23 01:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

To Have And To Hold

San Dorado City Hall

The attention of the world was upon Cascadia, which suited Sidney just fine. He wouldn’t exactly feel comfortable having VIPs around for what was about to go down. Luckily the two of them had at least agreed on that much. Getting this whole affair organized had been difficult enough without having to arrange for visiting world leaders...

Daphne elbowed him, a faintly annoyed frown on her face. Sidney turned his attention back to the scene before him. The art nouveau stained glass and marble of the Tiffany Room deep inside City Hall. The press of his silk shirt against his skin. The few dozen friends and family present, all dressed in expensive dresses and tuxedos. The serious look on the face of mayor Clark Irving-Jorgensen as the ceremony progressed.

“... Daphne Evelyn Sinclair”, Irving-Jorgensen continued, “will you take Sidney Leon Hank as your husband, in happiness and with patience and understanding, through conflict and tranquility?”

She smiled serenely and said, “I will.”

The mayor turned to him now, and Sidney couldn’t help but think it odd to see the normally frantically hyperactive Irving-Jorgensen solemn and serious like this.

Another subtle elbow. Sidney suppressed a grimace. Focus, dammit.

“... as your wife”, Clark continued, clearly oblivious to the President’s wandering thoughts, “in happiness and with patience and understanding, through conflict and tranquillity?”

Here we go, Sidney thought and drew a deep breath. “I will.”

“Place the ring on each other’s finger. Let these rings serve as locks–not binding you together–but as keys, unlocking the secrets of your hearts for each other to know, and thus bringing you closer together forever...”

And of course he was nervous and fumbled and nearly dropped the damned diamond-studded thing. I signed multi-billion dollar deals, a part of Sidney considered wryly as he corrected himself and slid the ring around Daphne’s finger. I negotiated treaties that could make or break the futures of nations. And yet a simple formality like this gets me all worked up.

But of course it wasn't a formality, and Irving-Jorgensen looked please nonetheless. “Having heard the pledges of your affection, and the vows of your fidelity, I do therefore by virtue of the authority invested in me by the laws of the State of San Dorado, before the Lady, whose grace to you is unmeasured, and before these witnesses, pronounce you husband and wife, and what Fortune hath joined together, let no man put asunder.” He winked at Sidney. “You may kiss the bride.”

So he did, and with great pleasure. And when he felt her lips on his own he could think only one thing before all thought was swept away: I should’ve done this a long, long time ago.

The hours after that were a blur. Congratulations, champagne, laughter. Music, dancing, a helicopter ride to Kittyhawk International Skyport where Sidney’s supersonic jet was waiting to take the newly wed couple on their honeymoon. Only a handful of people knew where they would spend it, and they would be completely out of touch for the entirety of that time. The world would have to do without Sidney Hank and Daphne Sinclair for a while.

Result: Soap opera marriage! I’m spending all of next week on vacation in the actual-factual San Dorado – the United States of New York City, as some like to call it – so I’ll be incommunicado. This absence is hereby explained by having my alter ego go on a honeymoon.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Chronicles

Communique to President Hanks

Dear President Hanks,

I would like to congratulate you and your bride and wish you the best of happiness for the rest of your lives. Congratulations.

Emperor Heraclius IV.
Kreia
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Hong Kong Items

Military
Armidale class ordered for WFPC competition
In a surprising turn of events, the Revenue Service has ordered a pair of modified Armidale class patrol boats. Initially rejected due to speed considerations, they appear to gotten the green light now. This bodes ill for some of the initial competitors for the contract, as it signals a lack of confidence in the already ordered craft. Apparent modifications include the substitution of 20V 4000 M93L engines, and the replacement of the remote weapon station with a Millenium CIWS. Projected cost is 25 million ROB after compensating for exchange rates.

Relatedly, the Revenue Service is apparently demanding unspecified changes to the Shield-class being built in the Old Dominion. These changes are apparently at the instigation of the Tian Xia Navy. Rumors point to a change in VLS installation from the Mk56 to the Mk41 tactical length.

MS-1A ordered
This apparently secret craft recently surfaced in budget documentation released by the Imperial Budget Office. Analysis of it's designation, along with public sources indicate that it will be the first operational spacecraft in use by the TXAF. Thus, the cover story of the X-38 and X-20 projects of being experimental is mostly confirmed.

AIM-54 Phoenix ordered
The new order of AIM-54 missiles are designated as the D variant. The new D model has unspecified modifications, possibly related to surface attack modes. It is currently unknown why the TXAF has ordered them, considering that the successor, the AIM-152, is already in production.

Life
Has the Huand Di found love?
Recently, Gwen Tate of the Huand Di's personal staff was photographed with a ring on her finger. Is this a sign that the notorious skirt chaser has finally decided to settle down?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Private Communique
TO: His Excellency President Hank and Her Excellency Director Duquesne

Congratulations to the both of you. Enjoy your honeymoon, and we'll try not to blow up the world while you're away.

James of Baerne
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:"It's quite likely that when this announcement is made, they will a good deal of furore within the military ranks, and most of them will likely advocate doing lobotomies of a lot of equipment."
"That is their choice. We would like the items back, then, if you're taking them out anyway."
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:"Tell me Rufus, when was this 'consensus' achieved? Why must I come all the way here to learn of this 'consensus'? What is the point of Ambassadors and diplomats, if I have to come all the way here and why were there no prior consultations with me on this matter? Is it just me, or was I cut out of the loop some months ago? And Why?" If the Emperor had ever showed any irritation before, he was showing it, and restraining a good part of his anger.
"Not that long ago, really. As for why you had to come out here?" At this, Rufus gave him a slightly hard look. "Your government requested the visit. We did not summon you or anything of the like. So, since it was planned anyway, I decided this was as good a time as any to let you know."

Rufus shrugged before continuing. "As for cutting you out of the loop? We've felt like that for some time. A lot of this business with CATO might have been dampened somewhat if we'd had some heads up. Heads up you never gave us, which left us playing catch-up. Now, maybe you didn't have much notice yourself over these membership deals, but if not that makes it very curious how the CATO membership process works. Definately something to discuss at this summit if that were the case, don't you think? So we've felt plenty cut out of the loop ourselves. Besides, we can all see your recent acquisitions process, that you're stocking up on CATO-specced equipment. So we didn't think it would come as much of a surprise. From our view, you've been drifting out of the alliance for some time as it is."

Rufus leaned back in his chair and took a sip of water from his cup. "But if it'll make you feel better, we can hold off on the public announcement. I'll even wait until after this conference is settled. That way you have plenty of time to discuss matters with your staff. And thanks to the summit, you can let your allies know about it as well before we go public. So this can be your heads up. But you had to know the double alliance membership couldn't last forever, and sooner or later this would happen. I believe the media have even termed it the 'Byzantine Question' on occasion.

"Besides, it's not like we're kicking you to the curb. We're essentially taking you out of the 'defense' part of the equation. Which, again given your recent acquisitions, makes a certain amount of sense on its own. Many of the other standing agreements between us will still apply."
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Dominion Defense
Coalition Forces enter Württemberg, Shinra X Corps begins advance towards Al-Dathesda

The Bloodiest fighting of the police action since the Old Dominion airstrike on the Nexus City Naval Station began today as the Old Dominion II Corps entered Württemberg. Even as bloody street fighting began, the Sirnothi forces staged a fighting retreat, attempting to move in small groups at night in order to avoid the overwhelming Coalition air superiority. The Augustine II Guards Division has pushed towards Nexus City along a path that travels between between Württemberg and Al-Dathesda,

The Shinra X Corps has finished disembarking at the Port of Baden and begun a broad-front advance towards Al-Dathesda. It appears the ultimate Coalition goal is a 3-prong attack on Nexus City after the killing in the Sheppish and Dominionite regions is stopped.

The Coalition appears to have little desire to advance into Nexus City, a sprawling city in the multi-millions. Underwater cablelinks have been left intact so the Coalition Command can broadcast information warfare pieces at the few who still have access to the internet, or can get around the Sirnothi filters...[More]
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Fort Xie
Tian Xia

The first pre production JLTV vehicles from Chesapeake Arms were being tested here, at the far north of the country, where it was frequently cold, wet, and miserable. Taking into account lessons from security operations in Shepistan, they were designed to accomodate light combat use, though they would still be best to avoid armored vehicles.

They were hybrid vehicles. It wasn't really out of any concern for the environment, but rather due to the steadily increasing power demands resulted in it being simpler to just make the entire vehicle a hybrid.

There were actually two different vehicle types at the testing range. The smaller version would carry up to 4 personnel; the larger, up to 6 personnel.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:"That is their choice. We would like the items back, then, if you're taking them out anyway."
You take it back for all I care so long as I get refunded the cost.
RogueIce wrote:"Not that long ago, really. As for why you had to come out here?" At this, Rufus gave him a slightly hard look. "Your government requested the visit. We did not summon you or anything of the like. So, since it was planned anyway, I decided this was as good a time as any to let you know."
Rolling his eyes, the Emperor Heraclius was close to exploding. "I see, apparently, none of you deigned to at least give me prior notice that negotiations were being done, and that I have to learn of it myself here that back door dealing was done and completed."
Rufus shrugged before continuing. "As for cutting you out of the loop? We've felt like that for some time. A lot of this business with CATO might have been dampened somewhat if we'd had some heads up. Heads up you never gave us, which left us playing catch-up. Now, maybe you didn't have much notice yourself over these membership deals, but if not that makes it very curious how the CATO membership process works. Definately something to discuss at this summit if that were the case, don't you think? So we've felt plenty cut out of the loop ourselves. Besides, we can all see your recent acquisitions process, that you're stocking up on CATO-specced equipment. So we didn't think it would come as much of a surprise. From our view, you've been drifting out of the alliance for some time as it is."
Our policy has been simple. What happens within CATO stays there, and what happens in the MESS stays there. If you have a problem with that policy, then I'm sorry, Byzantium spent most of its time walking the fine thread for so long that we kept everyone happy that way. Just as we tried to walk the fine line with Japanistan and avoided doing too much to antagonize them. So apparently this is a tit for tat. Oh fine. That further diminishes the value of even staying in the MESS, and also indicate that I am no longer welcome.
Rufus leaned back in his chair and took a sip of water from his cup. "But if it'll make you feel better, we can hold off on the public announcement. I'll even wait until after this conference is settled. That way you have plenty of time to discuss matters with your staff. And thanks to the summit, you can let your allies know about it as well before we go public. So this can be your heads up. But you had to know the double alliance membership couldn't last forever, and sooner or later this would happen. I believe the media have even termed it the 'Byzantine Question' on occasion.

"Besides, it's not like we're kicking you to the curb. We're essentially taking you out of the 'defense' part of the equation. Which, again given your recent acquisitions, makes a certain amount of sense on its own. Many of the other standing agreements between us will still apply."
"I think an observership is a worthless pretense and sham, and the manner in which this was discussed and presented to me a slap in the face. It is clear to me now, that you no longer trust me enough to include me in many deliberations. So be it. Byzantium will from this day forth be not of the MESS. And if you don't mind me, I have arrangements to make and I'm leaving. Good day. And oh, your troops in Jerusalem had best leave within six months. That will certainly lower tensions with Japanistan."

===============================

A few hours later

Deciding that there was little reason to stay in the Shinra Republic, the two leaders were on their way to Cascadia. In the command and control room on the aircraft, the military attache brought with him a suitcase containing a series of very important cards containing chips containing command and control instructions pertaining to many things such as the nuclear arsenal. One card was marked, "Meta Omega Zero". Taking that card out, and inserting it in the slot, the computer processed the card and a series of encrypted instructions were sent out via satellite back to Imperial Byzantine Military Command, initiating a series of processes and instructions to all relevant military personnel and diplomatic personnel, all for this planned eventuality.

Order Meta Omega Zero
Excerpt
  • All high level collaboration between MESS and Byzantium to be stopped immediately. Only low level is allowed only at the approval of the Defence Ministry
  • Avionics of MESS origin and not indigenously manufactured are to be replaced immediately. Aircraft that was leased will be returned.
  • STARS system to be removed and replaced with S-500F or S-500.
  • MESS ties to be relegated second status, excepting Kingdom of Serenity.
  • Imposition on Export Controls on all strategically important products to be sold to the MESS.
Last edited by Fingolfin_Noldor on 2009-04-24 10:54am, edited 3 times in total.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Constantinople Times

Byzantium booted out of the MESS unceremoniously

In what was deemed as a straight slap in the face for the Byzantine Empire, the MESS has unilaterally decided to reduce Byzantium's membership to that of an observership. The Emperor was said to have been furious when presented with the ultimatum for which he was not consulted whatsover prior to the visit to the Shinra Republic and flatly rejected the ultimatum and chose instead to leave the MESS outright, refusing to tolerate the insult. "It seems that the MESS either saw fit to deliver such an insult, or did it so that they would force our hand and leave the Alliance. Either way, an observership indeed is worthless to us as it bars us from their most sensitive technologies. Sensitive technologies by the way, which are quite within CATO's means to develop on our own. But hey, it also means we won't sell our own sensitive technologies to them," said an unnamed diplomat.

The Senate was said to be in an outroar over the announcement. Even the most stout MESS supporter was said to have sworn off the MESS and said that CATO was the way to go. "They have seen fit to insult us and cut us out of discussions. Clearly they don't trust us anymore. Why should we stay when we are unwelcomed? I applaud the Emperor's actions," said a prominent Senator.

The Defence Ministry and Interior Ministry have both issued a statement stating that the security of the realm would not be in any way compromised by the decision to leave the MESS. Sources within the Foreign Ministry have indicated that this incident does not bode well for the ongoing conference in Cascadia however, as it indicates the MESS is hardening its position and might not be willing to compromise.
Kreia
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Union Press

Henry Sparrowhawk's Era of the Osmons instant bestseller

Alternate History writer Henry Sparrowhawk's Era of the Osmon book has had record sales

New Atlantis, New Atlantis Province-Today, Zorian Alternate History writer Henry Sparrowhawk has received notification that his recent Novel Era of the Osmons has become a suprise bestseller, with some 2.5 million copies sold over the last few months. The Novel outlines the events of a parralel world, in which the famous seige of Constantinople ended in victory for the invading muslim forces and the obliteration of the Byzantine State, as is clearly indicated by the image of the Hagia Sophia surrounded by four minnerets after it's conversion into a Mosque that is common on the cover art of the book. From there it follows up on the emergence of a new Muslim dominated Empire known as the Osman Sultinate that becomes one of the dominant players on the Old Continent, as well as outlying the political developments and dynastic nature of this new empire over some 200 years. It has become quite popular among several nations, including in Byzantium itself and has been praised for it's detail and charecterization. Mr Sparrowhawk has commented that he is currently writing a sequel.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

To: Sidney Hank and Daphne Sinclair

Have a happy honeymoon!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!