SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Minister of Pigeonry
Youngling

Re: SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Post by Minister of Pigeonry »

Hmmmm, is Iceland up there open for conquest claiming? It would put my CT up to 3 with roughly 663,316 sq. kms which adds a nice +1 to my pop and brings me up to a 4 in Industry which allows for a 4 in NF through a 2 and +2 from Ind leaving me open to put a 4 in both Air Force and Army Focus which is all very pleaseing. :D

Sure, it's a bit odd for Spain but I've got some ideas on how to work it out if it's open.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'll consider it, I would honestly prefer leaving Iceland as part of Scandanavia, especially should a new player step forward for it.

Oh, and just to make it clear to everyone, as a result of Beo re-mapping his points and needing to shift colonial territory, we have exchanged holdings. I own his claims in Australia, that is, New South Wales and Queensland up to Sudan's claim and also now hold what was Manchurian Sumatra. In exchange I have given him Sulawesi, as it is small enough to fit into his new CT expenditure.

I am open to letting someone else hold Aceh I'll point out.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Minister of Pigeonry
Youngling

Post by Minister of Pigeonry »

Steve wrote:I'll consider it, I would honestly prefer leaving Iceland as part of Scandanavia, especially should a new player step forward for it.
I understand, wouldn't want to take it if someone is planning to play a Scandinavian nation. With the new rule changes and such, as far as I can tell, I've had my potential N.F. score cut a bit and doubling the the historical Spanish population from 1925 (the only real option that presents itself without new CT's) just doesn’t seem believable or really all that beneficial either. Though, I suppose it would take some interesting circumstances in Denmark for Spain to seize Iceland as it is.

Anyway, if there is a prospective player out there who'd like Scandinavia, Iceland is all yours.

As far as my points dilemma goes this is what I'm looking at:
With Iceland:

Pop. - 1 (+1)
H.T. - 2
C.T. - 3
Ind - 4
E - 3
Inf - 4
S.M.L. - 3
N.F. - 2 (+2 from Ind)
A.F. - 4
A.F.F. - 4
Total: 30 (+3 from bonuses)

With Double Spanish Pop:

Pop. - 2
H.T. - 2
C.T. - 2
Ind - 3
E - 3
Inf - 4
S.M.L. - 3
N.F. - 2 (+1 from Ind)
A.F. - 5
A.F.F. - 4
Total: 30 (+1 from Bonus)
Historical Pop Spain with all points spent:

Pop. - 1
H.T. - 2
C.T. - 2
Ind - 3
E - 3
Inf - 4
S.M.L. - 3
N.F. - 2 (+1 from Ind)
A.F. - 5
A.F.F. - 5
Total: 30 (+1 from Bonus)
Now, I've heard somewhere that Bonus points from, say, Industry can't push you over the requirements for a Focus so, if this is the case, it appears I'd have to go with the following:
Spanish Historical Pop, Ind bonus cannot be used for N.F. - 3 total as E/Ind total reaches only 6 when combined:

Pop. - 1
H.T. - 2
C.T. - 2
Ind - 3
E - 3
Inf - 4
S.M.L. - 3
N.F. - 2 (+1 from Industry does not count as E/Ind = only 6, leaving N.F. Focus total at 2)
A.F. - 5
A.F.F. - 5
Total: 30 (Ind Bonus is not used as there is nowhere applicable to use it)
I don't feel very good about keeping two focuses at 5, will most likely drop A.F.F to 4 or both A.F.F and A.F. to 4 in a final points draft but the last points spread leaves me a bit shorthanded Navy-wise. Which makes me wonder: with German aid in naval production (using their Shipyards/buying their Export Vessels), might that justify a Spanish Armada with a N.F. of 3 but a Spanish Economy/Industry total of only 6? This would show that Spanish Naval production and related infrastructure is not yet up to par but, through allied aid, Spain could field a force larger than it could actually domestically produce.

Now, if the E/Ind total also governs the ability to maintain and supply the larger Navy as well as simply produce the ships in the first place, I could see where this would break down.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Da mighty:
RED AIRFORCE

Well, this sucks, but damn it's realistic. Airplane construction of the Tsar Russia was lacking. I've extrapolated the USSR had at the end of 1924 ~ 200 R-1, since it had 271 R-1 by the end of 1925. But I hope people are aware that airforce is the prime expansion target. By end 1925 I want to have 500 or close to that airplanes. The real USSR expanded by producing 100-200 airplanes (combat and auxiliary) each year.

Now, I'm not sure the R-1 qualifies as a auxiliary or combat plane. It's more like a recon auxiliary. It only formed the backbone of early Soviet AF because the industry was not able to produce a REAL fighter and assault plane (the I-1 was in baby stages).

If it doesn't, and counts as armed auxiliary as it should, then I'm good and even a hundred planes or so under limit, which is okay and generally fits the construction schedule for 1925.

Damn, I spent on AF 2 but in fact I'm closer to AF 1 by realistic means. :lol: And no Civil War mumbo jumbo helps me here - Russian Empire's aircraft building was in such deep hole you couldn't drag it out even by pulling with 1000 hp. Sheesh. The largest serial fighter of Russia had few dozen of them built and of course were all rust by 1925. New fighters... well, you can see in my table.

Ouch.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

In the name of the Emperor of Imperium Romanium, I claim the Riau Islands!
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Actually, that reminds me that the status of Singapore is still up in the air IIRC. Fin, Bean, and Shinn all have claims.

I'd like you three to discuss who owns it at game start.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

At this point I am in negotiations with Lascaris over the state of our borders. As of right now I'm thinking of giving him most of Paraguay and say that nation was dismantled after the War of the Triple Alliance and split up between us.

Edit: The deal is a go. Cisplatina now has all of Paraguay north of Asunción and the Misiones province of Argentina to link it with his existing provinces.
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Raj Ahten wrote:At this point I am in negotiations with Lascaris over the state of our borders. As of right now I'm thinking of giving him most of Paraguay and say that nation was dismantled after the War of the Triple Alliance and split up between us.

Edit: The deal is a go. Cisplatina now has all of Paraguay north of Asunción and the Misiones province of Argentina to link it with his existing provinces.
What Raj just said. And I'd like to put my thanks for the additional land in public.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Wait, how does that work? The part of paraguay south of Ascunsion is in the way.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Steve wrote:Wait, how does that work? The part of paraguay south of Ascunsion is in the way.
Huh. If Paraguay doesn't end up connecting to Cisplatina via the current arrangement I'm willing to rejigger borders again to make it happen.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Raj Ahten wrote:
Steve wrote:Wait, how does that work? The part of paraguay south of Ascunsion is in the way.
Huh. If Paraguay doesn't end up connecting to Cisplatina via the current arrangement I'm willing to rejigger borders again to make it happen.
If you hold the southern chunk of the country it wouldn't. That'd be in the way. If you held everything north of Ascunscion and Cisplatine had everything south, OTOH, then things would work with the Misiones province being Cisplatinian.

Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Steve wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:
If you hold the southern chunk of the country it wouldn't. That'd be in the way. If you held everything north of Ascunscion and Cisplatine had everything south, OTOH, then things would work with the Misiones province being Cisplatinian.
I suppose we cut things roughly along a line either following or being parallel to Rio Paraguy, whatever needed to give the Cisplatine that minimum 600,000 square km territory.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Lascaris wrote:
I suppose we cut things roughly along a line either following or being parallel to Rio Paraguy, whatever needed to give the Cisplatine that minimum 600,000 square km territory.
Works for me.
Evincer
Youngling

Post by Evincer »

Hi,

I'm Evincer, and I'll be filling in for Doomriser, adopting the same plans and country stats, so nobody has to make any changes.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

As per Steve's suggestion, I will be playing as the parliamentary-monarchist Union of Scandinavia, based on the historical Kalmar Union and the Scandinavist movement of the nineteenth century, not unlike what Mahan had planned.

Scandinavia's territorial claims encompass the following, and are approved by Steve. As far as I know, they don't step on any jackbooted toes.

Home Territory: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Gotland, Aland, Bornholm
Colonial Territory: Iceland, Svalbard, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Jan Mayen

A breakdown of its' points is in the relevant thread.

A history will be posted in the relevant thread, for the perusal of those involved.

An OOB will be arriving shortly.

EDIT: Noticed I'd forgotten Jan Mayen. Added it.

EDIT2: Svalbardia was a country in SDNW2. Svalbard is an island. Durr.
tiny friendly crab.
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

So can we have this one? The K-7 airplane that is? :-D
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I'll make a K-7 in time. So far I'm making the TB-1. Incidentally, Brazil want to join/help/invest into Soviet air tech? ;)

Investing will be easier in this game. If someone has spare IPs, he can give it to the one who needs them.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

I will definately need air-tech, the idea is that Brazil has basically invested primarily in airships since the Air Self-Defence Force is most of all seen as a reconaissance force. That's good for the navy of course, indeed airships are wonderful spotters, but not so good over land.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Stas, I think I will make a reply to your minister's letter and propose some possible areas of interest where we might cooperate.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Stas Bush wrote:I'll make a K-7 in time. So far I'm making the TB-1. Incidentally, Brazil want to join/help/invest into Soviet air tech? ;)

Investing will be easier in this game. If someone has spare IPs, he can give it to the one who needs them.
I'm interested. :D

SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I looked at the map a few pages back but couldn't figure the colors. It looks like just about everything is claimed; what --if anything-- is left if I were to come in?

EDIT: Specifically, is the area of Palestine/Israel already folded into some other empire, and if so, what is left in Africa?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Coyote wrote:I looked at the map a few pages back but couldn't figure the colors. It looks like just about everything is claimed; what --if anything-- is left if I were to come in?

EDIT: Specifically, is the area of Palestine/Israel already folded into some other empire, and if so, what is left in Africa?
Palestine-Israel belongs to Egypt primarily, I think Byzantium may have a piece in the extreme north.

And nothing is left in Africa. The only slots open ATM are Afghanistan and Switzerland.

I'm guessing you're interested in playing Israel?

Edit: Actually, I'm wrong. It's split almost evenly between Byzantium and Egypt.

Well, I could give you a piece of Australia for a Jewish homeland, if that's what you're interested in playing? Or was it Israel specifically?

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Steve wrote:
Coyote wrote:I looked at the map a few pages back but couldn't figure the colors. It looks like just about everything is claimed; what --if anything-- is left if I were to come in?

Palestine-Israel belongs to Egypt primarily, I think Byzantium may have a piece in the extreme north.

...Well, I could give you a piece of Australia for a Jewish homeland, if that's what you're interested in playing? Or was it Israel specifically?
I've been trying to catch up with the threads here but some of them are kind of long, and starting from the back and retracing will provide the most recent info, but doesn't always provide a clear picture of "how we got here".

I was thinking of an alt-history where more European Jews were interested in Theodore Hertzl's call for 'aliyah' and there was a much greater response than there was in real-world history, and World War 1 (if it happened) only drove home the notion that "Europe was always going to be full of wars" compared to the relatively peaceful Palestine. So the region of Israel/Palestine started to coalesce and form much more quickly, say around 1919, and they scooped up a bunch of leftover war stocks on the cheap.

Too bad about Africa. A NeuRhodesia might have been fun, too.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

World War I was limited in Europe (but went quite brutal in the USA, as I gather), essentially it's more correct to call the 1914-1920 a period of wars or something.

Assalti Frontali
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Huh? After Czech left as the RRA we didn't have a WWI in North America. And it would've been 1905-1910 to give everyone time to recover pre-game.