SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Post by Steve »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Steve wrote:As for Panama, we figured there would be a Canal and that whoever has Panama is the owner, with special rights to an assortment of nations - Cascadia, the Union, and the South at minimum, maybe Mexico as well - that include garrisons in the Canal Zone.
Excuse me, but who's to say it'd even have been built yet in this timeline, much less by any of you? My position in South America doesn't imply that I'm an easily-influenced shithole by default.

That's not to say that agreements couldn't be made, of course, but I don't think you can just foist them on me like that.
Why wouldn't it? It's a God damned gold mine and too many nations want to see it done. IIRC main reason the Colombian government historically didn't back it was because of how the US was trying to dictate the terms of it to them. If your Gran Colombia-esque state is a more powerful, cohesive state than historical Colombia, especially if it actually has roads and such to connect Panama to the rest of the country, then it would want to build such a canal anyway. Foreign capital would help offset the costs of it, and the very existence of that canal is going to cause foreign interest.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

This canal discussion reminds me of something, Siege, what is the status of Suez Canal?
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Karmic Knight wrote:This canal discussion reminds me of something, Siege, what is the status of Suez Canal?
A point of contention between the Egyptian Caliphate and the Byzantine Empire.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Steve wrote:Why wouldn't it? It's a God damned gold mine and too many nations want to see it done. IIRC main reason the Colombian government historically didn't back it was because of how the US was trying to dictate the terms of it to them. If your Gran Colombia-esque state is a more powerful, cohesive state than historical Colombia, especially if it actually has roads and such to connect Panama to the rest of the country, then it would want to build such a canal anyway. Foreign capital would help offset the costs of it, and the very existence of that canal is going to cause foreign interest.
Yes, its quite a bit more cohesive. More like a European state, but dominated by native South Americans and the descendants of slaves.

It is a goddamned gold mine. You were making the assumptions that it'd be there and it'd have been built by so-and-so and I'd have agreements with them to allow them unfettered access or something without consulting me on whether I'd even want it in my country to begin with, though. :P

For one thing, I reserve the right to deny access to the canal as a matter of course. I reserve the right to levi tariffs on goods passing through. I also reserve the right to inspect whatever goes through before it is allowed to pass through.

And as far as territory is concerned, the canal and the land surrounding it is sovereign Navinian territory.

Cool?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

The way land is going I better decide quick what I really want or everything will be gone :P .
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Perhaps. Of course, such terms may inspire others to pursue rival canals in nearby Central America....

Actually, that makes me think. The PC was enormously expensive and was paid for by the world's up-and-coming superpower (already by then on the verge of being the world's leading industrial power). Even if you have a fairly-capable European-level state, funding it by yourself will be.... prohibitive, to say the least.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh, and to be on the safe side, Nicaragua is claimed as a Cascadian protectorate. I've adjusted starting score to match.

If anyone who hasn't claimed yet wants to play a Central American nation, I'm open to negotiation.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I want California. Just that, California. Nothing more, nothing less.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Why is Beowulf claiming territories that belong to MOTHER RUSSIA?

I claim the USSR in it's real life 1925 borders. Let's see the dawn of Crimson Star! :D
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Da comrade. Let us smoke vodka cigarettes. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Da comrade. Let us smoke vodka cigarettes. :D
Or drink Byzantine Wine. :D
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
I am pretty sure that the Bolsheviks would only do so over the bullet riddled corpses of the Patriach of Constantinople and the Emperor as Red Banners are hung from the Hagia Sophia.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Zor wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
I am pretty sure that the Bolsheviks would only do so over the bullet riddled corpses of the Patriach of Constantinople and the Emperor as Red Banners are hung from the Hagia Sophia.

Zor
Pfft. We are working on a proper relationship to ensure things are sane.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I can see we have quite a few territorial differences to solve....

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Stas Bush wrote:Why is Beowulf claiming territories that belong to MOTHER RUSSIA?

I claim the USSR in it's real life 1925 borders. Let's see the dawn of Crimson Star! :D
You and Beo having talks over who gets what. I may need to take up the offer for aspirin I got....

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:I can see we have quite a few territorial differences to solve....
Yeah, no kidding. I guess there is no hope for me playing Spain anymore as everybody has already claimed the jewels of that empire. I really love it how Ryan just claimed all of those territories. There is no hope anymore for any Spanish Empire that would make sense with all of that. Currently it would leave me with....Cuba? :roll:

Coincidentally, is there a decision on what point scale we will be using yet?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

RogueIce wrote:
Zor wrote:Also, since no one else has claimed them. The Imperial Flag flies over Hawaii and Taiwan.

Zor
I believe Steve has Hawaii as a colony.

Ryan, me Steve and Czech talked about Panama. I think it can be worked out, but just keep in mind: we'll have an interest in you. :wink:
Somehow I am wondering why I was not involved in such a discussion, seeing as I had too claimed the area. Spanish Empire, remember?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, with Czech gone I'm going to look over it and make some final decisions, I want to keep things simple yet defined.

And I thought you were playing Germany, Thanas? BTW, do you have AIM or any other IM service?

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:Well, with Czech gone I'm going to look over it and make some final decisions, I want to keep things simple yet defined.
If you need someone to look over the system (read: look only and spot for mistake, not rewrite them), I'd be up for it. I might have some time this evening.
And I thought you were playing Germany, Thanas? BTW, do you have AIM or any other IM service?
As i have always said, I was planning on either playing Germany or Spain. And no, I do not have AIM or IM (security concerns), but I always tend to reply to PMs very fast.
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Hey Thanas, how'd your Germany look like? What are the prospects of it being, um, Mother Russia-friendly? :)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Karmic Knight wrote:I would like to add the colonial claim of Kenya, Somalia, and Abyssinia to my claims of the Benelux, Tunisia, and Libya.
I'd like at least some part of Northern Libya to be mine, specifically the coastal regions up to Benghazi.
Master_Baerne wrote:Someone should claim to be Emperor of Abyssinia and try to bring back human sacrifice. Just saying.
Well, that certainly would give me someone to oppose in the south ;).
Lonestar wrote:I also had an idea of the Grand Dominion and Shepistan having colonial empires in the Southern Arabian peninsula tha(Aden for the GD, Oman for Shepistan) for chuckles.
That should be interesting. Indian heathens occuppying Arabian soil! This is an insult to the Great Sultan!
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Bah. I want Italia, Greece, Anatolia, the Levant Coast, Syria and maybe a colony in Arabia or in Mesopotamia.
I want at least the southern portions of the Levant Coast up to Gaza. Mesopotamia is fine by me; you and I can bicker over it.
Karmic Knight wrote:This canal discussion reminds me of something, Siege, what is the status of Suez Canal?
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:A point of contention between the Egyptian Caliphate and the Byzantine Empire.
Considering I own Egypt and the Sinai it's entirely within my territory. I was thinking it'd been built by the Universal Suez Ship Canal Company, except the Company in this timeline is pretty much owned by the Sultan with some minor interests from other investors. And yes, no doubt it'll be a point of contention between the Egyptians and the Byzantines (note: it's the Egyptian Sultanate, not Caliphate. We're Muslims, but not fanatically so. Well not all of us at least.)
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Erm, have the rules been finalized yet? No criticism is implied, just curious.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Master_Baerne wrote:Erm, have the rules been finalized yet? No criticism is implied, just curious.
No, no they haven't. *sigh*

I'll get working on that next, with input from others.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Thanas wrote:I really love it how Ryan just claimed all of those territories.
All four little ones, one of which is totally inconsequential.

Also, do note that I claimed it before you had even posted in the thread.

We can work something out if it bugs you enough.
Steve wrote:Perhaps. Of course, such terms may inspire others to pursue rival canals in nearby Central America....

Actually, that makes me think. The PC was enormously expensive and was paid for by the world's up-and-coming superpower (already by then on the verge of being the world's leading industrial power). Even if you have a fairly-capable European-level state, funding it by yourself will be.... prohibitive, to say the least.
Yes. Like I said, I'm open to making agreements, with the conditions I stated.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Siege wrote:
Karmic Knight wrote:I would like to add the colonial claim of Kenya, Somalia, and Abyssinia to my claims of the Benelux, Tunisia, and Libya.
I'd like at least some part of Northern Libya to be mine, specifically the coastal regions up to Benghazi.
The coast up to Benghazi would be perfectly acceptable, and would work fine with the set up of my Empire.
Considering I own Egypt and the Sinai it's entirely within my territory. I was thinking it'd been built by the Universal Suez Ship Canal Company, except the Company in this timeline is pretty much owned by the Sultan with some minor interests from other investors. And yes, no doubt it'll be a point of contention between the Egyptians and the Byzantines (note: it's the Egyptian Sultanate, not Caliphate. We're Muslims, but not fanatically so. Well not all of us at least.)
Would the USSCC be willing to allow states of hostile ideology to the Egyptian Sultanate use of the canal?
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.